• Breaking News

    Friday, May 4, 2018

    Beginner Questions - May 04, 2018 web developers

    Beginner Questions - May 04, 2018 web developers


    Beginner Questions - May 04, 2018

    Posted: 04 May 2018 06:16 AM PDT

    If you're new to web development and would like to ask experienced and professional web developers a question, please post below.

    Etiquette

    • Remember, that questions that have context and are clear and specific generally are answered while broad, sweeping questions are generally ignored.

    • Be polite and consider upvoting helpful responses.

    • If you can answer questions, take a few minutes to help others out as you ask others to help you.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Moving to Drupal for our company CMS. Created this module to solve all our problems.

    Posted: 04 May 2018 08:47 AM PDT

    Glitch is a pretty amazing platform to learn and experiment with code

    Posted: 04 May 2018 02:34 AM PDT

    Every day on here there's a post on here of some unqualified dev struggling at a job he was unqualified to apply for. Should I start lying on my resume more to compete with these frauds?

    Posted: 03 May 2018 10:43 PM PDT

    This shit's both hilarious and ridiculous.

    submitted by /u/LuisN
    [link] [comments]

    Cleaning up your API Requests Using ES2017’s Async/Await and Fetch

    Posted: 04 May 2018 12:38 AM PDT

    cssgr.id | An interactive CSS Grid code tool and generator

    Posted: 04 May 2018 05:27 AM PDT

    How to test the speed of a website that is rendered with javascript?

    Posted: 04 May 2018 12:47 PM PDT

    I made a website where the entire thing is rendered with javascript. When I use tools like PageSpeed to see how to optimize it better, I get an almost perfect score because I don't think it runs the code that loads all of the images and content. Is there any other way to test the speed of my site?

    submitted by /u/SteamedHC
    [link] [comments]

    Mirroring local Git repos to remote Git servers

    Posted: 04 May 2018 02:20 PM PDT

    Hey fellow internet people!

    I've been getting into local version control by setting up a local Git server on my Windows machine and fully nerding out.

    I have a mediatemple host and they support Git.

    My question is can I and how may I go about syncing my local Git servers repos with the remote as a kind of slave and perhaps fulfil my dream of running away from FTP forever.

    The only solution I can think of is two seperate repos that are unaware of each other but obviously that's a dumb idea.

    submitted by /u/t_faulk
    [link] [comments]

    any youtube playlists/videos or twitch streams/marathons I can watch to see about a website from start to finish, both front and back end?

    Posted: 04 May 2018 12:44 PM PDT

    ++Hello guys,

    I'm fairly new to web development, (not to programming, cs student, more or less experienced with the fundamentals of programming, familiar with c++), anyways, my first step was to finish an html & css book, and after that I dived a bit into javascript. Made some lame websites to test out stuff.

    Then I looked a bit into back end concepts and I needed to pick a language. I picket python/flask because I'm a bit familiar with its syntax from learning the basics of python in high school. I can start to understant the individual parts of web development but can't seem to know how to integrate them, or learn to integrate them.

    I think it would be very helpful to see a website being created, whole package. Back-end, front-end, hosting and stuff. Maybe even buying a domain name for the sake of creating one from scratch.

    Also, besides that, feel free to share your favourite twitch streamers/youtubers I should follow.

    edit: why am I downvoted

    submitted by /u/singed1337
    [link] [comments]

    Can other people see my Heroku apps?

    Posted: 04 May 2018 05:48 AM PDT

    So in an online course that I'm following, we deployed a web app to heroku. However, and maybe I'm misunderstanding the purpose, I expected that to mean that I could enter the heroku url anywhere, or give it to a friend to show them my app. But when I enter the url on another computer, it takes me to the login page. Just curious how I would be able to give someone a link to my app. Or am I misunderstanding something?

    submitted by /u/JWindy92
    [link] [comments]

    Should I begin applying for jobs now?

    Posted: 04 May 2018 08:34 AM PDT

    I just finished school. I have 3+ years of web development experience. 2.5 of those years were working freelance developer. I have to complete a full time internship and wont be done till July 10th. I live in Chicago.

     

    Should begin applying for jobs now or wait till closer to when I can actually begin working?

    submitted by /u/PerforatedEdge
    [link] [comments]

    How does companies like UberEats or GrubHub or JustEats get their info?

    Posted: 04 May 2018 03:47 PM PDT

    Info meaning where the restaurants are, what dishes they have, their opening hours and other info.

    Do they personally go and search for restaurants near them and them one by one? Do the owners of the restaurants give the info to them? If so, how and why? I'm sure at this point any new or old restaurants would gladly give their info to any of those companies for exposure purposes, but when those companies just started out, how did they obtain this info?

    As an example, if I were to create another company such as those, how would I go about getting the restaurants and their products and adding them to my database?

    On a completely unrelated note: I'm buildling a prototype of something and I'm doing it pretty fast - so far all I know is Mongo and that's what I'm using. If it comes to it where I've outgrown Mongo, is it possible to transfer all my data to some other service? (I'm using mlab)

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/iMakeBaadChoices
    [link] [comments]

    [Question] Div and display: block

    Posted: 04 May 2018 03:46 PM PDT

    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/259374117696831489/442093344617660416/Screen_Shot_2018-05-04_at_6.35.48_PM.png

    does anyone know why the div in the picture isnt full page width when it has display:block?

    Div has the id CellDetailDiv and css .src-style-EpisodeDetail__cell-detail-div but the margin and padding shouldnt be there.

    submitted by /u/Bulbasaur2015
    [link] [comments]

    Patch changes tool

    Posted: 04 May 2018 03:32 PM PDT

    Hey guys and gals,

    I was wondering if you are aware of the existence of some tool that could display the changes made to a file. More specifically, I am fetching from the GitHub API the changes made on files on a certain commit, which answers with a list of files changed, their SHA, additions, deletions and so on, and also a patch, consisting of something like

    @@ -1,91 +1,5 @@\n-# vue-pwa-boilerplate\n+# NeuralCarUI\n \n-> A full-featured PWA template with webpack, hot-reload, lint-on-save, unit testing & css extraction.\n+> A Vue.js project, powering a PWA for Carzam\n \n-##

    I would like to know if there is some tool that allowed me to display the file changes. I've searched a lot but only diff tools are popping up and I can't seem to find something that is suited. I'm using Vue but any JS tool is an option for me to explore.

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/dark_bug
    [link] [comments]

    Does service workers work after browser is closed?

    Posted: 04 May 2018 03:20 PM PDT

    On chrome for windows it seems to but on android not so much. But maybe I made a mistake. What I want is to add my webpage to my desktop and every 15+minutes for it to send me an alert if there are unread messages. The test below sends a notification every 5seconds. When I close chrome on android I can never get the notifications working. Seems to work only the first time I enter the page. If I go to other sites (but leave chrome open) I seem to get this notification. However I'd like to get a notification every 15m but I'm not sure how to do it

    <body> Hello <script> Notification.requestPermission(function(result) { if (result === 'granted') { console.log("Granted") } }); navigator.serviceWorker.register('sw.js'); </script> </body> 

    sw.js

    self.addEventListener('install', function(event) { console.log("Install"); //I get an error if I try to do registration.showNotification here since the worker doesn't seem to be 'ready' //registration.showNotification('Repeat install', {body: 'Repeating install'+Date()}) }); self.addEventListener('activate', function(event) { console.log("Active"); //this event never happens after I close the browser. I can't get this nor install to happen again setInterval(s=>registration.showNotification('Repeat test', {body: 'Repeating'+Date()}), 5000); }); 
    submitted by /u/ZoMoBloNo87654321
    [link] [comments]

    Load sharing a large video?

    Posted: 04 May 2018 03:19 PM PDT

    Say I have a site with a 1 GB video. The virtual server has a 1 Gbps port, but it's only enough for certain amount of concurrent users. I'd like to add more servers and spread the traffic.

    One way I thought about doing is to host the video on multiple servers and write a small python backend that would monitor traffic on those servers, then based on their load would just return the html that has [ip with least load]/video.mp4. Is this a decent approach?

    Bonus question: How do sites like imgur do it? IIRC, all images point not to an IP, but to 1 domain. I'm aware of a reverse proxy, but a reverse proxy doesn't solve large traffic problem (e.g. loads of static content). I think reddit itself uses some company for images that specializes in this.

    submitted by /u/energia123
    [link] [comments]

    A approach to zoom on the web

    Posted: 04 May 2018 01:47 PM PDT

    So I've been working in a way to have a good zoom experience in the browser, I,'ve been researching to do a zoom like the mobile pinch zoom which is very good.

    In that feature we can focus the zoom in a specific region of the viewport and really zoom in that, without breaking the layout.

    The ways I've found so far provide a bad experience and does not really work

    transform scale(): scale containers, the problem is scale() focus in the center of the container, so you have to change transform-origin to the location of the item you want to zoom, and it ends up in a clunky effect...

    css zoom prop: the worst, the zoom focus in the top left corner of the screen and breaks the layout

    I wonder if you guys have been in this situation before, the user experience we usually force in the browser is: "ok you want to see something closer? put that in a modal and increase its size"

    And I'm looking for something better which is the zoom

    submitted by /u/haganenorenkin
    [link] [comments]

    How do I find out why mobile Gmail ignores my CSS?

    Posted: 04 May 2018 01:18 PM PDT

    I'm sending HTML-formatted email messages that look fine in desktop email clients, but they get munged by Gmail in a mobile browser - a lot of the CSS styling in the message's <head> element is ignored.

    Is there any kind of "debug mode" in Gmail that would tell me what it specifically doesn't like in my CSS? Or is there any documentation on what parts of CSS will be ignored by Gmail?

    submitted by /u/bkendig
    [link] [comments]

    Namecheap CNAME redirect issue.. period added to end of url?

    Posted: 04 May 2018 01:18 PM PDT

    I followed a tutorial on using an AWS S3 bucket url as the CNAME address on my namecheap domain. Apparently people get this to work all the time, but when I put in the url on Namecheap, it keeps adding a period to the end of the url - which then stops the link from working (I get an AWS bucket error page). How can I stop Namecheap from adding a period??

    submitted by /u/maxiedaniels
    [link] [comments]

    Calendar Date Picker with Flask

    Posted: 04 May 2018 01:10 PM PDT

    I am currently making a web application for a small sushi restaurant that involves creating an SMS survey with Twilio for the guests and using python and flask as a backend to create a website so they can view the results of the guests on a table tag. Ive already Created that but it gathers all the results from first to last and I spoke with the owner today, he wanted me to implement an option where he could select from results of last week or 2 weeks or a specific day and so on so he doesn't have to look and search through all X amount of results. My question is, how can I go about creating an interactive calendar 📆 where he could select specific dates in X month and send the dates picked to python so that I can load the results that match the selected dates?

    submitted by /u/itsdevkay
    [link] [comments]

    How to launch a new/upgraded website

    Posted: 04 May 2018 04:07 AM PDT

    I've just gotten back into web dev after 15 years and I'm very rusty. I've spent hours upon hours looking for an answer with search results coming up with SEO advice, useless product marketing, etc. So here goes.

    1. How do I safely run a test server for my new website (or a website upgrade) that's hidden from the search engines/ public?
    2. When I'm ready to launch, how do I launch the test server with minimal or no downtime?

    Hoping the answers are not the guarded mystical secrets they seem to be! Thanks in advance

    Edits: Please consider me a novice when replying. Cheers

    Planning to run Tiki Wiki CMS on GoDaddy on a shared hosting server running Apache/Linux

    submitted by /u/ErrantBacon
    [link] [comments]

    Is anyone using Css Grid in production?

    Posted: 04 May 2018 05:03 AM PDT

    I have been ignoring css grid for a long time. But I just checked that is now globally supported at 87%. Is there anyone using in real world? do you recommend that I should i learn it and use it now?

    submitted by /u/Stanulilic
    [link] [comments]

    Drupal exploit spreads Monero malware to site visitors

    Posted: 04 May 2018 12:33 PM PDT

    Useful command line tool to clean up your mess.

    Posted: 04 May 2018 12:26 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment