• Breaking News

    Friday, February 2, 2018

    Rigorous web development programs, similar to CS50? learn programming

    Rigorous web development programs, similar to CS50? learn programming


    Rigorous web development programs, similar to CS50?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2018 02:42 PM PST

    Right now going through CS50 and really like how the course is set up and the difficulty. I want to shift my career into web development (with a decent computer science background) and am trying to plan out a course path.

    I learn best through fairly difficult assignments, between a few hours of study. I don't get much out of courses that have you either write isolated snippets of code, or hold your hand through a project. This seems to be the case most of the web development courses I've found. I also don't get much out of only reading or watching videos without applying it to a project.

    I can of course create my own projects, but ideally I'd like to follow a more structured approach. Video explanation is also really helpful. Hoping to get some advice.

    I am currently employed and don't mind paying for courses or nanodegrees if they provide what I'm looking for.

    Thanks for any help.

    submitted by /u/adms83
    [link] [comments]

    How deep does a beginner need to dig when learning Python as a first language?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2018 12:09 PM PST

    From the other threads that I've read, the concepts are most important. Being able to break down a problem in order to solve it is the main goal.

    However, I just got to classes(second semester CS) in python. I almost understand them in concept. Your class acts as blueprint in order to easily create instances of that class. This allows re-usability and is easier to add/subtract from. So, I arrive at this question: What is exactly happening when a class is being instantiated? What do they mean by instantiated? I researched it for a bit and found that when people explain it, they mention that call is actual being invoked(evoked?) whenever a method is being called and they dive into the source code of python to show whats what.

    Should I concern myself with these questions at the present moment? I do realize there is much handwaving done until you are up to speed with the basics, but when should you dive deeper? Or should you dive deep at all? Thanks for any advice.

    submitted by /u/hauntinghelix
    [link] [comments]

    I made my first JavaScript program last night!

    Posted: 01 Feb 2018 06:27 AM PST

    I am finally on my way to becoming a programmer/computer scientist!

    It was barbarically simple, but is good for my first time! :)

    submitted by /u/vhshood98
    [link] [comments]

    Fake VPN to block iPhone ads?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2018 02:20 PM PST

    Hi, Reddit. Is it possible to create a "fake" VPN with the purpose of blocking ads on iOS. The best way to achieve this in my opinion would be to create a fake VPN that blocks the address of ads. Here's an example of a list: https://github.com/AdAway/AdAway/wiki/hostssources. If possible, what would be the best way to go about this?

    I have absolutely zero experience programming with iOS, and I think this would be a great starting project. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Kell___3
    [link] [comments]

    Self taught coder looking for programming bud

    Posted: 01 Feb 2018 11:14 AM PST

    Hey, I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but i would really like to get some pair programming experience or one-to-one interaction with some other dev's like myself. i'm a self taught coder (most of my career has been in C#) and I'm the only software developer in the company i work, which means i have literally no interaction with other coders and its starting to feel like something I'm really missing out on.

    I'm currently working on a facial detection / recognition program in c++ & openGL. If anyone has any c++ experience and wants to start a little project (literally anything) just for fun hit me up!

    submitted by /u/Timmoth_Jones
    [link] [comments]

    can someone explain me what's an API with an exemple ?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2018 08:17 AM PST

    that would make my day if someone could do so.

    submitted by /u/rezgod
    [link] [comments]

    Edx has a class on algorithm design starting today

    Posted: 01 Feb 2018 04:54 AM PST

    https://www.edx.org/course/algorithmic-design-techniques-uc-san-diegox-algs200x

    Just for your fyi edx has a class on algorithmic design. It looks pretty good and it lets you use a whole bunch of different languages if you want. This is something you could try after you learn the basics of one programming language.

    This is a class to teach you clever tricks about how to compute some types of common problems.

    the prerequisites (taken from there syllabus)

    Prerequisites Basic knowledge of at least one programming language (C, C++, Java, JavaScript, Python2, Python3, Scala): loops, arrays, stacks, recursion. Basic knowledge of mathematics: proof by induction, proof by contradiction.

    submitted by /u/iLoveAGoodIDea
    [link] [comments]

    C language beginner. Need help passing txt file to my c program

    Posted: 01 Feb 2018 01:19 PM PST

    Hello. I'm starting to learn C(Using linux terminal with vim) and I have a question:

    I have a .txt file with text inside and would like to use that text inside in my .c program. How would I go to do that? I was thinking of using getchar() but I have no idea how to pass my .txt file to my .c.

    Thank you very much.

    submitted by /u/DeadlyPinkPanda
    [link] [comments]

    [homework] What does the lab mean when it asks about this part.

    Posted: 01 Feb 2018 09:25 PM PST

    So in my lab it tells me I am to show the parts called the shifted multiplicands with one single loop and a single printf statement...How do i even do that?

    I get you are to use a combonation of modulus and division to even show operate on those values..but how are you supposed to do what its even asking in that section...

    https://imgur.com/a/ZTFsq

    submitted by /u/Blepmorty1231
    [link] [comments]

    I cannot understand pointers in C

    Posted: 01 Feb 2018 03:42 PM PST

    Hi everyone.

    So I'm in my first year of CS, and we're studying ANSI C. We've started taking about pointers and how they work, and while I think I understand how they work, I've no idea what their purpose is, in for example a dynamic list, or a structure. I've developed an irrational hatred for them only because I don't see a point to them and because they seem really pedantic. Could anyone shed some light on them? Also, are they vital in a programmer's life? Even in other programming languages?

    Thanks a lot

    submitted by /u/megalion
    [link] [comments]

    Newb help Python: Print whole number

    Posted: 02 Feb 2018 12:04 AM PST

    I'm trying to write a simple program that converts between different prefixes automatically(not that i'm lazy, but i thought it fun to try and make). My problem is that when numbers get large enough Python prints it out with this at the end e-10 for example.

    Heres an example print mikro 12000 milli 12 norm 0.012 kilo 1.2e-05 (i want this removed) mega 1.2000000000000002e-08 (i want this removed)

    Heres a pic of my program also https://www.dropbox.com/s/pl4xn47uicdlg3r/Udklip.PNG?dl=0

    Hope someone knows how to work around this. Thx in advance

    submitted by /u/Marcus70040
    [link] [comments]

    What Language do control panels use?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2018 07:45 PM PST

    I am currently working as a mechanical engineer in a industrial pump supply company. I have used control panels with a screen and some input and output features. I was wondering what language the company uses in order to program these panels. The GUI and the logic behind it.

    Also is there a good way to practice programming such a device with all the I/O at home?

    submitted by /u/Demonofyou
    [link] [comments]

    I don’t really want to learn programming

    Posted: 01 Feb 2018 10:55 PM PST

    Hey, I'm a guy who wants to create an app, but I need someone to develop it for me. I'm currently creating a timeline for my business and kind of want an estimate for how long it would take to develop my app. Everyone I ask tells me it 'depends'. So I'm going to give you the factors and please give me an estimate. So I want it on both android and iOS. The basis of the app is that it's a supermarket. So you signup with your phone number, you choose your location, you pick what items you want and checkout. It is a cash-only transaction. You get your stuff delivered to you in the next half an hour or you schedule a delivery. There are a lot of similar apps so I presume that the timeline for an app like this has precedence. Of course the time to develop also depends on the skills of the developer and the number of developers, but let's just say it's one developer with an above-average skill set. Also are there any added monetary costs, like server costs I should put in mind? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/khalkhall
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to figure out the optimal language for automating a program

    Posted: 01 Feb 2018 10:46 PM PST

    Hello, I'm trying to figure out the right language to automate AVL, or Athena Vortex Lattice, an aerodynamic analysis program (found here: http://web.mit.edu/drela/Public/web/avl/)

    The program is packaged as a .exe, but it runs through the command prompt using keystrokes to navigate menus. It's a very useful program, but it is tedious to enter information over and over to get useful results, so I wanted to automate it. Given that it runs through the command prompt, I thought I could write a batch script to run multiple cases quickly. I quickly found that that solution would not work, as the batch script pauses as soon as avl.exe starts, so I was unable to use the script to pass keystrokes to the program.

    To get to my question, which language would be best for this application? I know that Python is used a lot for automation and I have a passing familiarity with it, so if that's the best option, what libraries should I look into?

    TL;DR- Looking for the best language to automate the running of a .exe that runs through Command Prompt using keystrokes to navigate

    submitted by /u/I_BUILD_ARKS
    [link] [comments]

    Can someone point me in the right direction? C++ 3D array

    Posted: 01 Feb 2018 07:00 PM PST

    I'm in a C++ course and we're learning about multidimensional arrays. Professor assigned a program and we're given an initialized 3D array, and we have to cout the location of an element that has the maximum value difference with neighboring elements. The professor says this is extremely easy but it's been 3 days and he hasn't responded to my email lol.

    I don't know how to even begin coding this. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

    https://i.imgur.com/cFdmr7T.jpg

    submitted by /u/SirTempo
    [link] [comments]

    Don't know where to start

    Posted: 01 Feb 2018 10:38 PM PST

    I have basic knowledge in python, java, sql and type script. It has been 6 months till i last coded something. Now i want to start coding again. I am confused as to where to start and on which language to focus on?

    submitted by /u/house11235813
    [link] [comments]

    [HTML]Teacher dislikes my formatting, but I'm unsure what I specifically need to change.

    Posted: 01 Feb 2018 10:27 PM PST

    Just got feedback on a lab, but her main problem with it was my indentation. Can someone take a look over this and tell me how I should be doing it? I'm following the rules she set, and most of what I see in style guides, but I feel like I'm missing something kind of nuanced.

    https://jsfiddle.net/nt8d746j/

    submitted by /u/slicky6
    [link] [comments]

    I can highly recommend the this series of courses on programming languages

    Posted: 01 Feb 2018 10:58 AM PST

    https://www.coursera.org/learn/programming-languages

    This is the first part of a free 3 part course on programming languages. I've just completed it and learned so much, and the instructor is a great teacher.

    It's an intermediate level course, so you should have some familiarity with at least one mainstream language first, but it does take a fairly ground up approach.

    submitted by /u/bigiyai
    [link] [comments]

    Can't properly check if the variable is a string or not.

    Posted: 01 Feb 2018 10:00 PM PST

    x = input("Enter a name: ")

    if type(x) == str: print("Access granted!")

    else: print("Error: please enter a name")

    Why does this piece of code gives me "Access granted" when I type in a number? How to fix it?

    submitted by /u/TareqX199
    [link] [comments]

    How can I keep up with all the technology (C#, ASP.NET, SQL, Javascript, Oracle and so on) without getting overwhelmed

    Posted: 01 Feb 2018 03:57 PM PST

    I'm trying to be updated but it's kinda hard. Do you recommend a way to do that?

    submitted by /u/mrkirit
    [link] [comments]

    [Python/pandas]Trying to whether one data frame contains all the values mentioned in another data fame

    Posted: 01 Feb 2018 09:47 PM PST

    So I have two Dataframes. One is a data frame of userIds and itemIds and the other is a set of itemIds. The userId, itemId data frame consists of the pairs of users and items where their pair is unique to the dataset. I have a set of itemIds in the other dataset. What I want to do is get the statistics for each userId, specifically how many itemIds of the set has the userId occurred with and how many other occurrences for that userId, for each userId in the data frame. Help!

    submitted by /u/bigthecat94
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for an approach to divide a range of numbers (0 to 1023) RGB values of the visible color spectrum.

    Posted: 01 Feb 2018 09:37 PM PST

    I'm working in c/c++/arduino. I take an analog reading of a potentiometer which gives a number between 0 and 1023. I'm interested in understanding how to make use of the answer given on this forum (user Spektre). I appreciate that this approach eliminates the overrepresentation of red in some models.

    Is there a way to feed my 0-1023 number into Spektre's function to get RGB values that travel the spectrum smoothly?

    void spectral_color(double &r,double &g,double &b,double l) // RGB <0,1> <- lambda l <400,700> [nm] { double t; r=0.0; g=0.0; b=0.0; if ((l>=400.0)&&(l<410.0)) { t=(l-400.0)/(410.0-400.0); r= +(0.33*t)-(0.20*t*t); } else if ((l>=410.0)&&(l<475.0)) { t=(l-410.0)/(475.0-410.0); r=0.14 -(0.13*t*t); } else if ((l>=545.0)&&(l<595.0)) { t=(l-545.0)/(595.0-545.0); r= +(1.98*t)-( t*t); } else if ((l>=595.0)&&(l<650.0)) { t=(l-595.0)/(650.0-595.0); r=0.98+(0.06*t)-(0.40*t*t); } else if ((l>=650.0)&&(l<700.0)) { t=(l-650.0)/(700.0-650.0); r=0.65-(0.84*t)+(0.20*t*t); } if ((l>=415.0)&&(l<475.0)) { t=(l-415.0)/(475.0-415.0); g= +(0.80*t*t); } else if ((l>=475.0)&&(l<590.0)) { t=(l-475.0)/(590.0-475.0); g=0.8 +(0.76*t)-(0.80*t*t); } else if ((l>=585.0)&&(l<639.0)) { t=(l-585.0)/(639.0-585.0); g=0.84-(0.84*t) ; } if ((l>=400.0)&&(l<475.0)) { t=(l-400.0)/(475.0-400.0); b= +(2.20*t)-(1.50*t*t); } else if ((l>=475.0)&&(l<560.0)) { t=(l-475.0)/(560.0-475.0); b=0.7 -( t)+(0.30*t*t); } } //-------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

    https://i.stack.imgur.com/nWns3.png

    submitted by /u/motsanciens
    [link] [comments]

    Embedded iframe??

    Posted: 01 Feb 2018 09:34 PM PST

    I have an embedded iframe in a page of another website. I have selected part of the site by restricting the height and putting a margin at the top and overflow hidden. It works perfectly in codepen, but when I put the same exact code in the website (WordPress html) the top isn't cut off anymore and it overlaps the part of my page I DO want. Any ideas of how to fix this?

    submitted by /u/CharlottesWeb83
    [link] [comments]

    web based gui for easy reading of logs

    Posted: 01 Feb 2018 09:19 PM PST

    Hi all

    I have a whole bunch of log files that I want to read. The log records essentially a conversation flow from actor A to B to C and back from C to B to A.

    My idea is to use python to parse the logs, lift the keywords that i need displayed, and give this to a webpage to display like a chat window.

    I included a mock up here!. But I am not sure how to achieve that. I am not sure how to do the handoff between webpage and the results from python.

    For the gui, a) the msgs should update live as new msgs come in because sometimes it is good see the msgs show up asap b) yet sometimes people can spam the log making 10k lines, and if they all get displayed live the whole chat window will be scrolled up really really fast and out of control so i need to be able to stop that. (probably a check box to toggle live feed or something like that)

    Sorry this post is a bit rambaling, a lot of this is still in a bit of conceptual stage.

    submitted by /u/portol
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment