• Breaking News

    Tuesday, February 6, 2018

    Resume Advice Thread - February 06, 2018 CS Career Questions

    Resume Advice Thread - February 06, 2018 CS Career Questions


    Resume Advice Thread - February 06, 2018

    Posted: 05 Feb 2018 11:07 PM PST

    Please use this thread to ask for resume advice and critiques. You should read our Resume FAQ and implement any changes from that before you ask for more advice.

    Abide by the rules, don't be a jerk.

    Note on anonomyizing your resume: If you'd like your resume to remain anonymous, make sure you blank out or change all personally identifying information. Also be careful of using your own Google Docs account or DropBox account which can lead back to your personally identifying information. To make absolutely sure you're anonymous, we suggest posting on sites/accounts with no ties to you after thoroughly checking the contents of your resume.

    This thread is posted each Tuesday and Saturday at midnight PST. Previous Resume Advice Threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Daily Chat Thread - February 06, 2018

    Posted: 05 Feb 2018 11:08 PM PST

    Please use this thread to chat, have casual discussions, and ask casual questions. Moderation will be light, but don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted every day at midnight PST. Previous Daily Chat Threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    PSA Most people in CS don't make crazy high salaries

    Posted: 06 Feb 2018 11:26 AM PST

    TL;DR A salary less than 100k is more normal. Don't come into the field expecting 200k in options.

    This sub tends to get both ends of the curve and not so much the middle in terms of people. You have people who get 300k total comp new grad offers and you have people who can't find a job after 2 years. Naturally it might prompt some people expect such high salaries. Then some people get bummed out when they don't have high salaries like that and that leads to posts like "Am I not good enough?" Most new grad/entry level salaries in most places is about 60k-80k if you adjust for cost of living. Most companies outside of the big 4/unicorns don't pay these high salaries.

    For all the folks who have several years of exp the normal is anywhere from 90k-120k total comp if you adjust for cost of living. Now if you're a director/vp/cto you obviously make more but that's a very small percentage of people.

    Furthermore, people need to calm their tits when they get these offers and they assume they won't make it. If you're single you really only need about 25-30k to survive. Anything more is just spending money. For folks with a partner you only need about 30-35k, + 10k ish for each child.

    Don't let the fact that you don't make a high salary affect your morale or your confidence.

    submitted by /u/its_ya_boi_dazed
    [link] [comments]

    So my employer called my house..

    Posted: 06 Feb 2018 04:14 PM PST

    Throwaway for obvious reasons.. I am 32 years old grown man employed by a start-up in a primarily Django position. So apparently for some mysterious reason even though my company has my cell phone #, my employer called up my home Monday night and my mother happened to pick up the phone. I kid you not the CTO of the startup I work at told her of my poor performance at work and that I was on my (word-by-word): "worst behavior".

    To be honest with myself, I missed several deadlines in the past few weeks but I never expected it to get this far. I can't believe my employer thought it was a very bright idea to discuss my work performance with my mother.

    I was shocked upon hearing this.. my CTO and rest of them team showed no signs of their displeasure at my "performance" that day. This has become very personal and I wish I was making this up. What should my best course of action be? Has anyone else here been in this sort of predicament before?

    TLDR: They called my mom

    submitted by /u/they_call_my_mom
    [link] [comments]

    Ambitious college CS students who do alot of other CS stuff outside of class like internship, personal project, self studying, etc whats your typically day to day schedule like?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2018 10:28 AM PST

    Software Developers actively looking for jobs - what is your preferred platform to search?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2018 10:26 AM PST

    I am an internal recruiter for a growing software dev solutions firm and we are in the process of actively recruiting for current open positions as well as building up a "virtual bench" (database of candidates that we may not have position for immediately but would like to bring on in future). My question is, for those developers that are actively looking for positions or have in the past, do you utilize resume databases? If so, what is your preferred place to post your resume? What is your favorite platform to job search? I currently source candidates from the standards: Indeed, LinkedIn, GitHub, starting to use StackExchange a bit. I want to know from the source what you find is best - so that I am spending my time sourcing from the sites that devs are actually using. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/aksterk
    [link] [comments]

    How To : Crush Career Fair

    Posted: 06 Feb 2018 03:42 PM PST

    Hey guys,

    I'm a student at Cornell University and I've collaborated with over twenty students (most Computer Science Majors) across several schools (state schools, other ivy leagues, and small liberal arts schools) on what strategies have yielded them the most success at career fair and how to sell yourself to the recruiter.

    The full article is here in much detail, but have main points below : https://www.1takeinterview.com/careerfair/

    BEFORE CAREER FAIR

    1) Resume - Use a clean and easy to read template, be sure to talk about NUMBERS and your impact. Use phrases like, "Redesigned user authentication leading to a 50% increase in sign-ups", to show your specific impact.

    2) Research - Be sure to research the companies you're interested in speaking to at career fair, including the companies background, internship or full time programs and their culture. This is important when doing your elevator pitch and asking questions.

    3) Dress Code - Be sure to dress professionally as this will boost your confidence and image. Tech is typically relaxed but dressing your best bring out your best!

    DURING THE CAREER FAIR

    1) Introduction to Recruiter - Shake hands and hand over your resume at first so the recruiter can read over it. You should give your elevator pitch (45-60 seconds) while they are reading the resume.

    2) Detailed Discussions - Go into details about project specifics, challenges and your impact. This specifically talking about the difficulties in how you worked through the project and what they made you learn.

    3) Closing - Be sure to shake the recruiters hand, thank them for his or her time and get a business card so you can follow up.

    AFTER THE CAREER FAIR

    1) Following Up - Send a thank you email to the recruiter within 24-48 hours recapping your discussion and interest.

    I hope this helps you guys out at career fair and I'm more than happy to answer any questions !

    submitted by /u/1shotclocks
    [link] [comments]

    People who applied to 100+ jobs online and kept track of the results: what was your success rate?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2018 12:31 PM PST

    Everyone's complaining about online applications being a "black hole", so I'm really curious about the response rate.

     

    Please comment below or fill out this anonymous Google Forms: https://goo.gl/forms/faBQYFd1R528b6xb2.

     

    Results (I'll try to keep this table updated hourly)

    Experience Responses Avg. Applications Avg. Interviewed Avg. Interviewed (Top 15% Applicants)
    Freshman 2 61 3.33% 6.67%
    Sophomore 6 101 9.72% 17.94%
    Junior 6 105 10.01% 13.53%
    New Grad 8 74 11.22% 19.00%
    1-5 years 1 300 6.67% 6.67%
    5+ years 0 - - -

     

    • Avg. # Applications: total number of applications divided by the number of responses, by years of experience
    • Avg. % Interviewed: total number of interviews divided by the total number of applications, by years of experience
    • % Interviewed (Top Applicants): average % interviewed + standard deviation of % interviewed, by years of experience
    submitted by /u/a097
    [link] [comments]

    Which major tech city feels most like Chicago in its people and atmosphere?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2018 04:37 PM PST

    Ever since I started working as a programmer for a couple of years, I still feel like I'm missing something from my professional experiences. I am not really feeling the spark or much of a burning passion to do the work. It's probably due to the companies I've been with.

    I have lived in the Chicago area almost since I was born and have always found my jobs here. I like Chicago, the atmosphere and neighborhoods mainly, and also the moderate cost of living for a big city. But on the other hand, the software industry scene here feels very lukewarm IMO. Let me try to explain it in as few words as I can.

    Most of the jobs I've worked in have a very casual work culture, which is what I prefer. The big companies in Chicago doing the bigger and potentially more interesting stuff, they tend to be conservative and very "corporate". I don't like dressing up and working in a cubicle. On the other hand, the laid-back casual companies are not doing anything that really excite me. Most of them fall into two groups: the web agencies that do routine CRUD websites and apps for small-ish customers, and uninspired startups that cannot compare to the better stuff out in the more tech-y locations. Startups here don't take a lot of risks.

    So I am considering making the move out west with a new job. What tech-heavy area would be best for a transition from Chicago, that feels more like where I am currently? I haven't really dived in deep to figure out what city I want to live in, but it must be affordable (for a west coast city), have decent transportation and its people still very "midwesternish" if that makes any sense.

    submitted by /u/HanzoMainThrowaway
    [link] [comments]

    Do videogame and shader programming side projects matter for a non related videogame job when you are showing your cv?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2018 02:38 PM PST

    Why do most job descriptions want you to know everything?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2018 04:10 PM PST

    I'm currently working in the Bay Area and want to break into a major company like Qualcomm, but every single description wants you to know so much: Java, Perl, Ruby, C++. I'm proficient in one language at most. On top of that, you need to know how to have experience working with different devices.

    I don't know, I guess I'm just asking for any input. I really want to work at Qualcomm. If you got hired there or know anyone who was hired for an entry level software developer position, please help.

    submitted by /u/marybobbins86
    [link] [comments]

    How do you all view taking a less desirable job "to get your foot in the door"?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2018 11:54 AM PST

    I'm a bootcamp grad. A lot of personal ups and downs, not all of which are related to my career, have taken place since then. If I'm being honest, I'm very behind on what I should remember from the bootcamp and my projects, interview questions, etc.

    I've been in touch with a startup that is looking to hire someone for customer support, though they've said I can work on their front-end and eventually transition into a full-time engineering role. The pay is understandably far less than what my classmates are making as full-time engineers.

    I don't feel I've given my job search my fullest effort so I'm unsure about looking into this opportunity, while at the same time I'm running low on savings (about 2 months left). I've also heard that sometimes taking certain opportunities as your first gig is actually more detrimental to your future prospects than remaining unemployed and continuing to find something better. Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/wutdoguise
    [link] [comments]

    Full stack Coldfusion dev for 3.5 years without any other new tech, not sure what to learn to start job searching

    Posted: 06 Feb 2018 04:42 PM PST

    I have been a Coldfusion dev at my current job for 3.5 years doing all the front end, back end, and database development. The front end is pretty basic, so there isn't really any new technology being used. That said I do very well at the company and my manager relies on me to keep things running smoothly on the team. We run a very large and important internal website.

    So I haven't really done much else in the past years except for Coldfusion. So I feel as though I don't have much to bring to the table at another job. I know the skills that transfer are web dev as a whole, managing the site, the users, directing team members. And that any new framework can be learned and the same concepts applied. But Coldfusion isn't really like all the newer frameworks out there.

    Have I screwed myself for the moment by not working on anything else for the past few years? I feel like I won't even get a call back from most places with no React or Angular or whatever else on my resume. My plan is to change that and start learning a different stack before I start applying. I wont have company experience in it but it is something.

    I suppose my main question is, will my main experience being in Coldfusion get me turned away from non CF roles? I can learn MEAN and put it on my resume but when it comes down to it they'll end up knowing that I haven't worked that extensively in it. Even though I have no problem picking something new up and would love doing that. I feel like having a newer stack on my resume is necessary to even get my foot in the door to talk about my accomplishments at my job.

    I think and hope I'm just blowing the whole thing out of proportion. Thanks for any insight sorry if this was a bit rambly.

    submitted by /u/howDoICS
    [link] [comments]

    About a month into my new job. Getting frustrated. Analysis of my situation appreciated

    Posted: 06 Feb 2018 09:44 AM PST

    Hello, recently I moved from my games industry job to a web dev job that was much closer and paid 55% more.

    However, I'm a month into the new job, and I'm starting to have a lot of reservations. I'm getting very frustrated, and just wanted to get your opinions on whether my frustration is justified, or if I'm just being unnecessarily anxious.

    • I have written and committed a whopping one line of code in the time I've been here

    • From the time I started until the time I was actually fully operational and able to work took two weeks

    • I'm barely given any direction; I had to forage for setup clues to get my local checkout working, and no one local had had to do that for quite some time

    • Codebase is legacy; nobody fully understands it, it's not very well documented, and I'm only getting an architecture overview (finally) next week

    • I have no web dev experience, yet I'm launched into tasks and explained to as if I am intimately familiar with the various libraries and frameworks, in addition to their own internal lingo for services, clients, and modules

    • The only tasks I have been given are: A) A single complicated bug that took me a week to work out, and B) an investigatory task to see how long it would take to replicate a module for a different client (something a Lead would normally work on, no?) for a code base I am not familiar at all with

    • I find debugging ASP.NET applications tedious and aggravating; not knowing where the exit point from client side is to an entry point in server side and vice versa without having to spend > 1hr digging around

    Maybe I just need to suck it up and get gud, I don't know. Having a serious case of Impostor Syndrome today.

    submitted by /u/MrGruntsworthy
    [link] [comments]

    How easy is it to get fired as a new grad?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2018 05:43 PM PST

    Just curious, obviously this is entirely company dependent but I'm just wondering if I'm needlessly stressing myself out.

    I try put in a few hours extra work per day but my PR's might be too slow and too erroneous.

    generally speaking whats the grace period on sucking and will u be given a lot of warning if your performance is poor? I'm going to talk to my manager about this stuff when I can but just curious on what peoples experiences are.

    submitted by /u/BeeBeeEight
    [link] [comments]

    Questions for C1 TDPs in Richmond

    Posted: 06 Feb 2018 07:43 AM PST

    Hello, I chose Richmond office as my first year TDP location. Can anyone tell me their experiences in Richmond office? I heard it is quite big. Thank you!!

    submitted by /u/Cytiss
    [link] [comments]

    Reminder: AMA with author/Professor Steven Skiena tomorrow Feb 7 12pm EST

    Posted: 06 Feb 2018 02:31 PM PST

    Don't forget about the AMA with Skiena tomorrow.

    On Wednesday February 7th ~12 noon eastern time we will be hosting an AMA with Steven Skiena, a Distinguished Teaching Professor of Computer Science at Stony Brook University.

    He is the author of the popular book "The Algorithm Design Manual", which is officially recommended by Google for interview preparation.

    His research interests include the design of graph, string, and geometric algorithms, and their applications (particularly to biology). Skiena's five other books include the new "Data Science Design Manual" and "Calculated Bets: Computers, Gambling, and Mathematical Modeling to Win".

    He also served as co-founder and Chief Scientist at General Sentiment, a media measurement company based on his Lydia text/sentiment analysis system.

    Skiena received his Ph.D. in Computer Science from the University of Illinois in 1988 and has authored over 150 technical papers.

    submitted by /u/fecak
    [link] [comments]

    Data Science vs Cybersecurity

    Posted: 06 Feb 2018 09:25 AM PST

    Which field is better in your opinion? What are the pros and cons? And what do you think of the market demand for each of them in the long run?

    submitted by /u/TareqX199
    [link] [comments]

    6 months since last offer, what can I do better?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2018 06:14 PM PST

    I moved to New York City about 10 months ago, leaving a job I loved to be with my girlfriend while she completes her education. I will be here for about 8 more months. I got an offer 6 months ago, and worked the job for a month before quitting.

    I have worked about 1.5 years in CS jobs. I have a B.S in CS from UCSD. I am a US citizen. You can see my resume here. This is not the resume indeed uses.

    I have been looking for a front end, full stack, or back end web developer position through indeed. I have also been on Indeed Prime and Hired for the past 6 months, and have got around 5 total interviews from those two. I try to apply for everything, even if they are asking for far more experience than I have. 75%+ of openings in New York are looking for Senior devs to lead a team.

    I have been thinking about:

    1. Expanding the positions I am looking for to include non-web development positions
    2. Spending more time working on free online algorithm type questions
    3. Paying for Cracking the Coding Interview
    4. Spend time learning react and try to find a way to add something related to it on my resume

    I tried to not include my life story in the post, but I would be happy to clarify and add context in the comments.

    submitted by /u/gdubrocks
    [link] [comments]

    Do certificates from Edx, Coursera, Udacity, etc. help SWE job seekers stand out from the crowd?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2018 12:49 PM PST

    I've earned a Machine Learning certificate from Coursera and a Nanodegree from Udacity. I'm considering earning more. Just wondering if these are worth pursuing while I continue the job search.

    Any feedback is welcome. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/SWE_bayarea
    [link] [comments]

    Do recruiters get bonus for successful recruitment?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2018 01:58 PM PST

    I'm talking about inhouse recruiter for a big corp here, but any kind of insight about recruiters motives is welcome here.

    submitted by /u/ENSJAM
    [link] [comments]

    Apply to companies in the US, is it worth it?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2018 06:06 AM PST

    As a german citizen who is about to graduate uni with a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science and multiple personal projects on GitHub, should I apply for jobs in the US or is it just a waste of time and too unrealistic?

    Edit: I get that it's free, but what are the chances?

    submitted by /u/LexyconG
    [link] [comments]

    Is JSP still widely used in the industry or am I wasting my time?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2018 10:53 AM PST

    Basically I'm in my first job out of college and I'm doing production support for an application that is written in JSP and Java. Basically I'm fixing defects. I don't have the ability to switch teams due to some management issues. Should I look to switch companies or stick it out?

    According to people I've talked to no one uses JSP and dojo anymore. Just trying to get some advice.

    submitted by /u/cookies50796
    [link] [comments]

    From Semantics, to CS

    Posted: 06 Feb 2018 02:56 PM PST

    Hi, I am a Phd candidate in linguistics (I graduate in May) with a masters in philosophy. I have a strong background in mathematical logic and formal languages. My primary research is in formal semantics. I translate natural language to semantic representations using a formal language (Montague Grammar) that combines type theory, lambda calculus, set theory and higher order logic. Subsequently, I then give a semantics to the formal language using an model/ontology (mathematical structure) with an interpretation function (model theory).

    I know that my field of study is closely related to computer science (because of the logic, lambdas [Church] and model theory). However, I do not know how useful is this line of research to technology companies, if it is at all.

    So, my question would be, if a person with my background were to be hired in a technology company (software) what would that person do in the day to day job? Or do you think that technology companies do not hire people with my kind of background?

    Thank you for the answers!

    submitted by /u/rental_pants
    [link] [comments]

    Reputation of Tableau

    Posted: 06 Feb 2018 07:42 AM PST

    I don't hear much about Tableau in this subreddit. Is its engineering well-known enough within the industry that having experience working at Tableau (the company) on my resume would significantly help with regards to applying in the future?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/throwaway23498723948
    [link] [comments]

    Manager is ruining the quality of the team members by secretive loose hiring

    Posted: 06 Feb 2018 07:58 PM PST

    My manager recently created a new offshore team to "assist" the core team with tasks. Things got fishy when I was told we were "expediting" our hiring, and instead of having interviews with the core team members, all offshore team members were hired under whatever interview process was put in place by a non-documented agreement by my manager and the offshore team lead. Past the first candidate, the core engineers were put into a fog about the hiring process. Our lead QA engineer was presented with several substandard candidates, and declared they all should not have passed an entry level screening, but was forced to pick one in a strictly off-the-record conversation.

    I did an introductory session this morning and it's pretty clear that this QA person has next to no marketable skills. During a screen share session, it was determined they have likely never used the command line and have never used or heard of a virtual machine, ssh, git, or even how to unzip a .zip file. Even worse, a new developer has come onboard much earlier than expected, meaning they either quit their job without proper notice period or were not employed before.

    Call me paranoid, but I think my manager has some sort of hidden motivation. What's the use of hiring a team if they can't be of any value? Has anyone had a similar situation? Run?

    submitted by /u/csthrowaway_fishy
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment