• Breaking News

    Thursday, February 8, 2018

    Moving to a new theme web developers

    Moving to a new theme web developers


    Moving to a new theme

    Posted: 08 Feb 2018 03:59 AM PST

    Hello again r/webdev community.

    This is just a notice that we are going to be implementing the same theme that is on r/web_design. The theme on that subreddit is much cleaner and has far fewer issues than the theme that we had before, and is a significant improvement from Reddit's base theme.

    We wanted to inform you of this before we went ahead and implemented it as we discussed in our thread here. The theme will be implemented by the end of the weekend. As always, we'd love to hear your feedback.

    submitted by /u/Mdude2312
    [link] [comments]

    Chrome will start marking all HTTP sites as not secure in July

    Posted: 08 Feb 2018 12:42 PM PST

    Web dev that's embarrassingly bad at styling. Recs for a good book on html/css

    Posted: 08 Feb 2018 10:15 AM PST

    I've done many projects in React, JavaScript, Rails, etc but I'm ridiculously bad at html/css. I know enough to get by (surprising I've made it this far tbh without knowing CSS) but I want to be advanced.

    Any recs on some good books for learning html/css? I know how to code and all that good stuff, but I want to be an advanced knowledge of these two things.

    Thanks everyone!

    submitted by /u/hotsaucetogo
    [link] [comments]

    Browserslist examples: how to share target browsers between Autoprefixer, Babel, ESLint and Stylelint

    Posted: 08 Feb 2018 12:45 PM PST

    Is mySQL still the right tool most of the time?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2018 07:23 AM PST

    I'm about to start a project with reviews of a thing written by users. I'm planning to have all of this in the AWS ecosystem so I was planning on using DynamoDB but the more I learn about it, the more I don't think it's right for the job and I just want to use it because it's hip. I guess I'm in this mindset that mySQL is "ancient"? Can anyone point me on the right path.

    submitted by /u/YOUR_MORAL_BAROMETER
    [link] [comments]

    MDN browser compatibility data: Taking the guesswork out of web compatibility

    Posted: 08 Feb 2018 06:49 AM PST

    Fuck you, Pay me - valuable advice on how to get paid for the work that you do

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 09:02 PM PST

    I recently started studying webdev and decided to check the requirements to apply for a job. Couldn't figure what half of them meant.

    Posted: 08 Feb 2018 02:34 PM PST

    I'm a designer that recently started studying Front-end languages after a studying UX/UI and creating newsletters. I like it. I'm enjoying learning HTML and CSS, excited to start JS, but decided to check what a full time font-end job position would require. Out of curiosity. But it made me realize how little I know and how much left there is to learn. Overwhelming. Here's the job announcement I found:

    Front-end Designer: To create a real-state renting platform and a management area Specific Experience: Site Mapping and navigation planning Creating layouts mock-uping Image Editing Prototyping. HTML5, CSS3, JSON, XML, Bootstrap, AngularJS, Material Design e Angular Material Prototyping tools (Photoshop, Illustrator, Axure, Balsamiq or similar) Development front-end tools (Yeoman JS, Grunt, Gulp, Bower) Design: interaction, Thinking e responsive Knowledge: API integration JavaScript (Design Pattern), TypeScript and jQuery. Web Server Administration. Markup frameworks (Velocity, JSP, Fremarker, ASP). Back-end languages (C/C++, *Node.JS, PHP, Java, .NET). SEO, Lean UX, Interaction Design, AB Testing,Frameworks JS beside Angular(Backbone, Spine, Knockout, EmberJs) Differentials: POO, Scrum ,Less, Grunt,Gulp , Bower , NPM NGINX , API REST Activities: Prototyping and Responsive front-end development 

    I would like to know if this is a standard job position, what should be required of an entry-level position and how much a job with these requirements should pay? Do most people here know all of this?

    thank you!

    submitted by /u/SuperMassiveCookie
    [link] [comments]

    Getting hired as a full stack Web developer with a felony

    Posted: 08 Feb 2018 09:53 AM PST

    I'm currently self teaching my self how to program with various online sources (Odin project, codecademy, udacity) and what to know what the chances are for someone in my situation to land a job, I have a felony from 2015 for sale of marijuana and since then received a BS degree from full sail University in game design. After taking courses there I have found I enjoy programming and found it is very difficult to get a job in the video game industry so I want to broaden my career search to full stack development. My question is, is it possible for someone with a criminal record like mine to get a job as a full stack Web developer?

    submitted by /u/SSJ_DEADPOOL_
    [link] [comments]

    Are titles in the job description, meaningful?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2018 12:46 PM PST

    I've noticed lately a lot of Front-End Positions being listed that say in the required knowledge being node.js and react.js [for example]. Are they truly just full stack positions that are listed Front-End because you'll mainly be focusing on the front end but you're expected to integrate all back-end via node.js? Or would it be just a way for the company to assign you a department, yet your responsibility is to be a full stack developer?

    submitted by /u/XIVMagnus
    [link] [comments]

    Are there any legal ramifications in simply "deactivating" a user from your site (for data-collecting), when your site offers the client a "delete account" option?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2018 03:32 AM PST

    Say I have a generic web app that allows users to sign up for the platform and delete their account at any time.

    Is it alright to offer them an option to "Delete Account" that doesn't remove the user data from the database, but merely renders their account defunct in terms of site usage?

    As I build a site, I'm expecting some of the initial data gathered by user sign-ups to be reused for data analysis purpose in the future.

    If you wouldn't mind sharing--as a web dev, what's your approach when it comes to data-collecting and deleting?
    Do you lean on the side of collect and render defunct, or wipe cleanly from database?

    Side note: is it reasonable to lean on the side of "wipe cleanly from db" if the reason is "because data consumes unnecessary space"?
    I imagine the point at which data becomes an issue of physical space, is near Facebook and Youtube levels, but I'm not too sure.

    US based.

    submitted by /u/checkYourCalendar
    [link] [comments]

    API authentication with just an API key?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2018 04:20 PM PST

    I have an app that users authenticate into using a username / password. I want to allow them to generate an API key for themselves while logged in, to access only their own data via a REST API served over TLS. This API key will be provided in a "X-API-Key header". (The API key is assumed to be of sufficient length and randomness to prevent brute force guessing).

    Is there a fundamental flaw in this model that I am not understanding, because it seems like most advice is that an API key alone is not sufficient for authentication to a web API. But, it also seems that most APIs are exposing other people's data, hence the need for solutions like OAuth.

    submitted by /u/LittleJoeyHodges
    [link] [comments]

    I need help regarding checkboxes and forms

    Posted: 08 Feb 2018 12:22 PM PST

    I'm new at this. Very new.

    I'm trying to make a form that will place smaller images on a bigger image. However, today I learned that to do that, I need to know PHP.
    Snap.

    So, I have another idea. I've seen sites with "checkbox" inputs that change (the sites change) as soon as you check or uncheck them. Does that require more PHP, or less to no PHP at all?

    submitted by /u/blesingri
    [link] [comments]

    Portofolio critique

    Posted: 08 Feb 2018 03:59 PM PST

    I am no pro by any means, I've been doing this for the past 7 months. But here it is: https://storyofedd.github.io/ If you think that the background SVG is shit, well thats because I drew it in Illustrator.

    submitted by /u/storyofedd
    [link] [comments]

    Any experience with Grav?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2018 03:51 PM PST

    I'm looking to build a pretty simple, one page, personal website and I want to try out a new CMS. I've been looking at Grav and it seems pretty cool. I like how they offer some "skeletons" that you can kind of build off of. Has anyone had experience with Grav and would they recommend it?

    Thanks everyone!

    submitted by /u/luke-johnson
    [link] [comments]

    What's a decent, free way to host a Django website?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2018 03:16 PM PST

    As it says on the tin - I'm looking for a way to host a website which has most of its main features written with Django (register, log in, dynamic feed, the usual boring stuff). I don't understand hosting at all since I'm only doing the page layouts and CSS, so if anyone can point me in the right direction to look that would be amazing!

    submitted by /u/glitchednpc
    [link] [comments]

    I wrote a tutorial on how to build a memory game (ala Super Mario 3) from scratch with plain JavaScript

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 09:29 PM PST

    Looking for a good resource on learning about SEO compliance

    Posted: 08 Feb 2018 11:23 AM PST

    I'm not trying to become an "SEO Expert" to scam people or anything like that, I was just looking for a decent website, book, or Linter that can let me know that I am following best practices with my HTML, CSS, and JS when it comes to not getting penalized by Google Search Algorithms

    submitted by /u/Equality7_2521_
    [link] [comments]

    Static Site with Jekyll

    Posted: 08 Feb 2018 02:39 PM PST

    My experiences building a simple app in each JS framework. Intro and first cab off the rank: Angular.

    Posted: 08 Feb 2018 06:59 AM PST

    Will migrating from GoDaddy to Github Pages affect my SEO?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2018 02:29 PM PST

    Hello, Currently have my business website hosted on GoDaddy, just a simple static website, so GitHub Pages seems like a good option. Currently I rank pretty highly on google search results and am wondering how transitioning to GH pages will affect my SEO.

    I want to do this because a. its free, b. I get HTTPS for free(which should ultimately help SEO more).

    I will point the DNS at GitHub pages and put a CNAME file in the repo so I can use my current domain.

    Seeing as the domain will be the same, will this negatively affect my ranking in the short term, how can I go about doing this to minimise any problems, is there anything I'm not thinking about, suggestions?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/DayOldLasagna
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone found any repos that provide various preconfigured webpack 2/3 configs for various workflows?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2018 02:27 PM PST

    While I have set up some configs for various uses, I am finding it to be a tedious process to set up for what should be common configurations (ie. SASS, bootstrap, concat, jQuery). Would be nice if someone knows of a repo somewhere that has a bunch of different premade config templates to use as a starting point.

    submitted by /u/KorgRue
    [link] [comments]

    Best raw server for housing multiple projects?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2018 10:32 AM PST

    Howdy. I've built so many projects on EC2 Linux boxes and continuously paying for them has grown quite expensive. I think EC2 may be overkill/too expensive for what i want and was wondering:

    Anybody have any suggestions for raw linux/ubuntu servers that allow unlimited domains/projects/directories/IP addresses for a fixed cost? Is this possible?

    submitted by /u/Beefin
    [link] [comments]

    Opinions on descendant selectors?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2018 10:24 AM PST

    Hey, r/webdev!

    I just came across an article bashing the use of descendant selectors in CSS coding.

    /* This */ blockquote p cite { ... } .main-nav > ul > ul { ... } /* As opposed to this */ .blockquote-cite { ... } .secondary-nav { ... } 

    I was just wondering: what are your thoughts on this? Personally, the use of descendant selectors offers me more context; it doesn't only tell me what the element is, but also where it is. Furthermore, it's easy to add a combinator (>, +, ~) when you want specificity.

    Seeing as the use of IDs and classes has grown very popular over the years, I'm kind of guessing the majority of the webdev community is anti-descendant selectors. But I might be wrong! So I'm interested in hearing opinions.

    submitted by /u/Palladog
    [link] [comments]

    What are your Dev/Prod workflow with Wordpress?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2018 08:10 AM PST

    TL;DR What are your dev/prod workflow with Wordpress (composer/git)? How do you deal with editing a live website without breaking it? __

    I'm currently doing website at a company, we used to only do custom site, but we started using Wordpress 2-3 years ago for most of our project.

    I'm pretty used to using Git and Composer in my projects and I found it hard to use it with Wordpress.

    Right now, I'm trying figured out a workflow with a Composer based Wordpress install (Bedrock or Wordplate) and get everything on our Git. It seems to work very well, but the main problem now is pushing to production.

    I don't use Wordpress often, but from my understanding, there's alot of thing in the database related to the plugins, themes, configs, etc. Before launch, it's pretty straightforward, but once it's in prod, how can I change or update the Wordpress in dev and pushing everything in prod without breaking everything?

    Someone suggested that once we push in production, we should stop using your local dev and always work in production, which is now ideal.

    So before saying "I guess we'll do that", I would like to know what other people are doing for dev/prod workflow and if you have tips and tricks.

    Thank you for your insight!

    submitted by /u/blowingfish
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment