• Breaking News

    Monday, February 5, 2018

    Is it hard to implement basic online features?

    Is it hard to implement basic online features?


    Is it hard to implement basic online features?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2018 03:57 AM PST

    Hello there. I have different kind of game ideas and i am not sure which one should i choose and start working on. I know everyone suggests to go for easy ones for beginners. I am keen on learning. But i am always afraid of one thing, online features. It always looks scary to me. What are the requirements for a game released on steam that has invite and multiplayer option?

    submitted by /u/anilisfaitnesto
    [link] [comments]

    Self-taught game developers,do any of you make this for a living?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2018 05:14 AM PST

    Im really interested in this industry,however im complete beginner when it comes to coding,but ive been thinking about learning to code in order to make games and possibly apps too for awhile now.Im wondering is it tough to earn a living from making games as a self taught developer?Im not seeking to be a multimillionare,im just sick of being unemployed and want to make it on my own.

    If you make money(or if you dont,thats okay,any insight is appreciated)off your games im really interested hearin your story how you got started to keep me motivated throughout this.

    Thank you so much comments are very valuable.

    submitted by /u/roadtoonepack
    [link] [comments]

    What C++ graphics libraries would be good one to start with?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2018 03:48 AM PST

    So I want to start working on a 2D Game, just thinking of creating a very rough concept of my idea, and was wondering what libraries you guys would recommend I try using.

    I've used a little bit of SDL, SFML, GLEW and stuff like that though tutorial videos, 2 years ago I started coding this little tower defense game but I lost the file unfortunately during a breaking at my house and can't actually remember what libraries I was using xD.

    Its a space game, since i've not really starting a project like this before i'm guessing doing it in 2D would be way easier, but i'm open to the idea of doing 3D as well.

    Thanks for any comments in advance :D

    Edit: Just for some extra information, i'm a 4th year multimedia student, which at my University is a lot of computer science modules with web development, art and some game design modules.

    submitted by /u/Gambitboy
    [link] [comments]

    Love programming, but it's starting to get really isolating and draining

    Posted: 05 Feb 2018 05:35 AM PST

    I'm a philosophy student/attempted writer turned gamedev. I've made a couple small personal projects, 3 or 4 abandoned larger projects. I'm not sure if I'm posting looking for advice or just commiseration, but this lifestyle doesn't exactly make me happy. I had a partner in crime back in college, but he got a high-paying tech job and got burnt out on programming outside of that.

     

    No-one in any of my circles of friends are into programming so I haven't really found a new buddy, and I WILL complete a big project eventually, but god is it rough. I wish I had a partner with similar drives and sensibilities to work with, but I'd need to be friends with someone to work with them, and I'm not sure how to find that. I have a job bar-tending and a decent social life outside of this, but I sometimes I feel miserable doing this all on my own.

     

    I've gone to some game-dev meet-ups in my area (LA), but the people I've met either were already successful indies or part of a company. I'm not sure I want to join a company because what I love about this is the ability to design my own world and all that creative freedom that entails.

     

     

    That was a bit of a rant, but every so often I get great advice on this site so I thought it wouldn't hurt to speak my mind. Anyways, cheers reddit.

    submitted by /u/JarblesWestlington
    [link] [comments]

    Royalty Free Music for your Projects

    Posted: 05 Feb 2018 09:42 AM PST

    Hey Guys! Due to the large positive response to my previous royalty free music post, I have decided to give away more royalty free music. Once again, feel free to use these as you wish, free of charge! Im excited to see how you guys end up using these tracks! Credits go to "Gravity Sound".

    Tracks:

    https://youtu.be/KrbBUeEteq4

    https://youtu.be/YtGIcILQglA

    https://youtu.be/aaa5oppkZgI?list=PLgmq-Tu_d08evsklzxaaaKUHJqdFEmTAl

    https://youtu.be/XGpVZCb1bEs?list=PLgmq-Tu_d08evsklzxaaaKUHJqdFEmTAl

    If you like what you hear, feel free to browse my archives for more royalty free music:

    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ7Xmyu6eXpJfkEoMtRMv1w?view_as=subscriber

    Previous Post:

    https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/7uw8y9/royalty_free_music_for_your_projects/

    More to come!

    submitted by /u/CanadianHerb
    [link] [comments]

    do 'Dump Months' exist in the game industry (mobile games industry) as well?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2018 05:04 AM PST

    hey everybody,

    the term 'Dump Months' is taken from the film industry, where in certain months (January - March usually) the expectations from revenue are low due to low volume in theaters, or low volume in commercial consumption/demand.

    do you feel that this term exist in the mobile game industry as well, if so, why do you think it happens.

    P.S I am aware that it exists in AAA industry, but this discussion is focused on mobile games.

    -yomi

    submitted by /u/yomi07
    [link] [comments]

    Pay models of Google Play

    Posted: 05 Feb 2018 04:14 AM PST

    First of all, sorry for my english. It's not my first language.

    Since it's 2018 I want to release one free and one paid version of my game. Otherwise I think the paid version will be copied to a free if there is any potential in it. At least this is my conclusion of the market. But I don't know which approach to take.

    Approach 1: Two versions. One free, one paid.

    Release two games on Google Play. One free with ads and one that costs money without ads which also includes some extra features.

    Pros:

    • You can buy the full version directly.
    • Can appear on the paid apps top list.

    Cons:

    • Need to maintain two different APKs with different package names.

    Approach 2: Only one version that is free with in app purchase.

    One version on google play with in app purchase to remove ads and add some extra bonus features. (There will only be one purchase that unlocks everything)

    Pros:

    • Only one app to maintain
    • The user doesn't need to download the app again.

    Cons:

    • People like me who likes to buy the full verison directly will probably miss this "free" game.

    Approach 3: One free version and one license app that costs

    Have one free version with ads and one paid license app that if it's present on the phone/tablet the free version unlocks.

    Pros:

    • The license app can take a appear on the top paid game lists on Google Play.

    Cons:

    • The user needs to download both apps from Google Play to be able to run the full version.
    • If the user just downloads the license there is a small chance that they don't understands that they need to download the free version as well and will give a really bad review.

    Anyone here that have done one of these models and regret it or are satisfied with their choice? Or do anyone have a better approach than the two I listed above?

    Edit 1:

    Clarified approach 2 that it's a free version with in app purchase.

    Edit 2:

    Added approach 3

    submitted by /u/deChriz
    [link] [comments]

    Here are 4 Great GameDev Forum Communities!

    Posted: 05 Feb 2018 11:22 AM PST

    If you prefer, here's the video version.

    Hey there everyone! Forums are a great way of interaction, and they are surprisingly similar to twitter and reddit, in the sense that you can get lots of valuable feedback from other devs, as well as help others too.

    One of the main benefits that I feel like I get is, that even if I am the one contributing and helping others, even if just for 5 minutes per day, I end up finding answers to hard questions, that otherwise I wouldn't even get to seriously think about. Topics like "how to promote your game on steam", or "how did you start making games". They can be so complicated questions, that I end up not thinking about them at all, not knowing where to start.

    Not only are there many other valuable replies with golden information, you can also contribute yours to clarify your thoughts on a subject! Anyways, without getting into too much detail, here's 4 places where you can interact with other devs or ask for their help!

    Gamedev.net: I believe this is the most known of them all, although I might be wrong. This one is fairly active, people also upvote your posts if you leave valuable, detailed comments, so you can start being part of a community and build a bit of a reputation there as well. Taking a quick look at the numbers, I noticed that it takes on average from 150-300 views on your topic to get 1 answer, unless the post is very interactive in itself, short, and asking an easy to answer question.

    Indie Gamer Forums: This one is less active, and takes quite a bunch of luck to get an answer on your own post, yet still very valuable as a resource in which you can give your own 2 cents and learn from your own responses.

    IndieDB: This one is specifically great for general chatting and banter, yet I was lucky to find quite a few "golden nugget" posts in here. Views on post are not visible, which might be the reason for why more people's questions get answered. There's less tension in being the first one to reply.

    TIGSource: This one has the Devlog section that I absolutely, absolutely love. That's the place where you can write about your game's progress, in a lot of detail, not only letting you clarify and become better at communicating your project to others, but also in keeping you accountable with other devs, especially if you happen to be unlucky and not have anyone in your life to help you with this aspect. It also lets you show the "percentage of how much is already completed". 40%, or maybe 90%? Anyways, still a very neat feature!

    If you know of any other active forums that I didn't mention, feel free to tell me, and I'm absolutely going to check it out, and if relevant, will also edit them into the post.

    submitted by /u/GameDevSeal
    [link] [comments]

    Steam API in non-Steam releases?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2018 10:54 AM PST

    My team is wrapping up production on our first VR game, and we plan on releasing it on various platforms like Steam, Itch.io, Viveport, etc. I was wondering if anyone knew what the standard procedure is for releasing games that utilize the Steam API on other platforms - do we have to disconnect everything (achievements and whatnot) and remove the API before building and submitting?

    submitted by /u/Vladi_Matt
    [link] [comments]

    How Gamers Killed Ultima Online's Virtual Ecology

    Posted: 04 Feb 2018 05:40 PM PST

    How do you decide when a game is ready to be published?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2018 06:59 AM PST

    I am a solo dev. I've never published any game on any AppStore or Steam, although I've successfully participated in a couple jams, including LD40 (successfully=completed a functional game, the result is irrelevant).

    I've been developing a side project for a couple months now, I have a full time job, so this game is just a hobby. I don't know how to decide if the game is ready to be presented to a publisher or even upload it somewhere myself.

    Its core mechanics have been there since week 1, I now just keep adding new levels and fixing bugs and improving various stuff as I find those. It doesn't have a story, it's structured more like a Candy Crush (single levels you have to complete to advance), although the game is not a puzzle game.

    How did you decide when to publish your game? When did you realise "This is it, it's done"? I feel like I can keep adding levels forever, I play my own levels and come up with new ideas as I play, I just don't know when I should stop and try to get this out to the public.

    Thank you for your patience.

    Edit:

    Some info on the game:

    • Platformer.
    • Individual levels (No storyline)
    • Platform yet to be decided, probably all of these 3 at the same time:
      • HTML
      • Desktop (Both Windows and Linux)
      • Android

    Imagine the game like a simplyfied Super Meat Boy without storyline, that should give you a rough idea.

    submitted by /u/muzska
    [link] [comments]

    The sequence to develop a BOSS/Character's Abilities?

    Posted: 04 Feb 2018 11:08 PM PST

    In my past few weeks, I'm designing dozen boss for my avg game, but I find a personal problem, seem it's hard to direct develop a boss without design monster's background story or it's "feature".

    For example, if I design a boss and which I titled it as "Bloody Eater", I could easy to have dozens of ability inspirations base on "Bloody" and "Eater". But if I don't have that "Title", it's hard to start the design, the final result will seem not funny and won't make me feel "that is the ability should belong to the boss".

    So I want to know, how do you design a boss? Do you first pick some feature like "shot a bullet direct to target position", or first pick some title like "watcher", "follower", "eater" then design the logic function for that title?

    I'm a newbie on reddit, I'm sorry if I'm not expressing well.

    submitted by /u/lazyknightx
    [link] [comments]

    Can't use UE4 or Unity.

    Posted: 05 Feb 2018 05:36 AM PST

    My plan was to learn gamedev through tutorials using UE4 or Unity as a replacement if I didn't like UE4. The PC I have can't run either of them and as It stands, I'm not going to be able to upgrade Its performance anytime soon. I've got up to mid-September to strictly focus on le, but other than studying the math I'd need, In terms of actually learning, implementing and improving my technical skills for video game creation, I don't know where to start. I know their are other engines out there but the reason I'm more inclined to using UE4 Is for the simplicity of the UI (Blueprints) and graphical capabilities. I don't know much about It though, so any advice would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Paranoid-Glitch
    [link] [comments]

    Improving Communication for Everyone Involved in Artistic Critique

    Posted: 05 Feb 2018 12:21 PM PST

    Creating Dying Light's Natural Movement System

    Posted: 05 Feb 2018 12:19 PM PST

    How to find/make a sound for my game?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2018 11:54 AM PST

    I am looking for a laser or magnetic gun sound effect for a game that I am making, but I can't find what I need on freesound.org or zapsplat.com. I would need a sound that I can use commercially in case I want to sell my game later. Is there a better site I can use? How hard would it be to make my own sound and how would I go about that?

    submitted by /u/sounderdisc
    [link] [comments]

    Making my first full game, im scared and confused

    Posted: 05 Feb 2018 11:51 AM PST

    hi, i studied game development in Mexico (the university was pretty shit) and i have a developed a few projects already (the first level of binding of isaac, the basic functions of age of empires 2, half of a 3d engine) everything in c++.

    Now i want to produce and publish a complete game(2D for now) but i feel completely lost, how do i start? is there a path to follow? i want to build it from scratch using SDL2.

    submitted by /u/rulasz
    [link] [comments]

    Retro Style - Chiptune Music For Your Projects

    Posted: 05 Feb 2018 11:42 AM PST

    Greetings everyone!

    Do you need music for your project?

    I have a Bandcamp that has a number of free songs if you're looking for some fun chiptunes. https://christovixgames.bandcamp.com

    I can make songs specifically for your project, based on what you would like. But that's not free, so I'll let you seek out that info to avoid breaking the rules.

    If you are working on a game jam, feel free to ask me if I would like to make some music for your project during the jam. I like working on jams, and sometimes I feel up to it! However, the game must credit me, and I will retain the rights to the songs, and the game must be distributed for free, unless a royalty plan is put in place, or you decide to pay my usual fees, after the jam is complete.

    Please send any inquiries to ChristovixGames(at)gmail(dot)com, or message me on my facebook page "Christovix Games." Or, of course, message me here. And feel free to ask questions in the comments.

    All of my music, unless it is made exclusively for someone, is under the CC-BY-SA 3.0 license. You may use my pre-made music for personal or commercial projects, royalty free. If you make changes to the music, you must make them available under this license as well.

    If you use my music for something, let me know! I'd love to see it in action.

    Thanks everyone, best of luck with all your projects!

    submitted by /u/Christovix1
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone interested in a Unity gamedev stream? I'm officially announcing my weekly Twitch schedule!

    Posted: 05 Feb 2018 11:30 AM PST

    Good Level Design Tutorials for UE4?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2018 09:54 AM PST

    Hi everyone,

    I'm looking for some good level design tutorials for Unreal Engine 4.

    I'm looking to fine tune my level design skills. So I'm just looking at a tutorial series which covers lighting, some blueprints, triggers, cut scenes, flow, that sort of thing.

    Can anyone recommend me any :)

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/CoastRoad
    [link] [comments]

    Developing a VR game on Mac

    Posted: 05 Feb 2018 01:03 AM PST

    A team of fellow students and I are tasked with developing a VR game this semester for a class called immersive environments. We're definitely leaning toward developing for vive and we're supposed to be using unity for the course. This means that we'll need to use the SteamVR plugin for unity but unfortunately I only own Apple products (yes, I'm a slave) and I don't believe that this plugin works on Mac OS. Is there any way around this besides dual-booting windows on my machine? Possibly switching to another hardware platform? Any help will be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/thequazzman
    [link] [comments]

    Marketing Monday #207 - Unique Concepts

    Posted: 04 Feb 2018 07:55 PM PST

    What is Marketing Monday?

    Post your marketing material like websites, email pitches, trailers, presskits, promotional images etc., and get feedback from and give feedback to other devs.

    RULES

    • Do NOT try to promote your game to game devs here, we are not your audience. This is only for feedback and improvement.

    • Clearly state what you want feedback on otherwise your post may be removed. (Do not just dump Kickstarter or trailer links)

    • If you post something, try to leave some feedback on somebody else's post. It's good manners.

    • If you do post some feedback, try to make sure it's good feedback: make sure it has the what ("The logo sucks...") and the why ("...because it's hard to read on most backgrounds").

    • A very wide spectrum of items can be posted here, but try to limit yourself to one or two important items in your post to prevent it from being cluttered up.

    • Promote good feedback, and upvote those who do! Also, don't forget to thank the people who took some of their time to write some feedback for you, even if you don't agree with it.

    Note: Using url shorteners is discouraged as it may get you caught by Reddit's spam filter.


    All Previous Marketing Mondays

    submitted by /u/Sexual_Lettuce
    [link] [comments]

    How easy is the "Visual Novel"-Maker to use?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2018 03:25 AM PST

    Hello everyone, lately I came up with the idea to create a crossover "Visual Novel"-Story of a few popular animes. The crossover would include characters from: Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Dragon Ball Z and Fairy Tail

    Now I'm neither a (2D)-Artist nor a programmer and so I was looking for tools that may help me with my idea.

    My search led me to the "Visual Novel Maker", and I wanted to ask if this tool is as easy to learn, as it is promoted?

    submitted by /u/ubslucky
    [link] [comments]

    Two Player Game - Server solution

    Posted: 05 Feb 2018 08:41 AM PST

    I am developing a two player multiplayer game. Think something like Clash Royale or Draw Something where the server matches the two folks (based on certain attributes). I want learn the basics of networking and do most of the networking implementation myself.

    Do you suggest to use any game-ready servers where we only need to write the game related logic and networking is handled by the server or a ground up implementation using AWS ? I am quite new to this, any help is greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/jamesmillerenium
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment