• Breaking News

    Thursday, February 8, 2018

    Interview Discussion - February 08, 2018 CS Career Questions

    Interview Discussion - February 08, 2018 CS Career Questions


    Interview Discussion - February 08, 2018

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 11:07 PM PST

    Please use this thread to have discussions about interviews, interviewing, and interview prep. Posts focusing solely on interviews created outside of this thread will probably be removed.

    Abide by the rules, don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted each Monday and Thursday at midnight PST. Previous Interview Discussion threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Daily Chat Thread - February 08, 2018

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 11:07 PM PST

    Please use this thread to chat, have casual discussions, and ask casual questions. Moderation will be light, but don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted every day at midnight PST. Previous Daily Chat Threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Riot Games devs answer questions about what it's like to work there

    Posted: 08 Feb 2018 10:25 AM PST

    Riot Games, creators of League of Legends, has been somewhat in the limelight the past few years as both creators of a cool, popular game, and a good place for software engineers to work. I asked some questions about what it's like to work there on the League of Legends boards and got a pretty good response with 6 (so far) Rioters answering all my questions about what it's like to work there. I thought it was pretty interesting to get good insights into their work so I wanted to share it with you guys here!

    https://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/general-discussion/Jx5U7i7g-cross-post-from-reddit-day-in-the-life-type-questions-for-riot-software-devs

    Note: the post says "Cross-post from Reddit" because initially I asked the same question on r/leagueoflegends. However, the post was removed since it was addressed only to Riot Games employees, not to the whole subreddit. So if you're wondering, that's what happened.

    submitted by /u/japhib
    [link] [comments]

    What to do if recruiters demand current salary in California when they're not supposed to ask anymore?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2018 12:26 PM PST

    A recruiter contacted me for either a machine learning or back end position then said he wouldn't submit me if I don't give him my current salary. I said just market rate. Then he said we couldn't go further if I didn't tell him although he's not supposed to be asking and I asked him for a range. So I thanked him and said not a good fit and hung up. Is there anyway to handle it? I'm moving from a lower cost area and don't want to undersell myself so I prefer to put off those discussion until later.

    submitted by /u/ChemicalPalpitation
    [link] [comments]

    Advice: I'm the last developer on the team, should I leave or stay (more details inside)

    Posted: 08 Feb 2018 08:50 AM PST

    TL;DR -- I'm the last developer supporting an entire division of a startup and a rather large company is head hunting me. I need help deciding whether to be a big fish in a small pond or vice versa.

    Hey y'all, I work for a decent size startup. It's not the best, it's not the worst, the problem with the company is retaining talent.

    Fast forward to last week, my backup decided to move on to a different company (congrats to them). This puts me at a bind as my team is now literally me and the project manager--we support a large division of the company and without a developer that division would slow down to a crawl. What's worse is we're releasing something new pretty soon and leaving mid-way would seem pretty shitty of me.

    Coincidentally, I've been courted by a rather large company seeking people with my skill set and I'm in the process of interview to get a feel of what it would be like working there.

    Now, I'm a loyal employee with some morals and some empathy and I know if I leave it would be like kicking a man while he's down. And I'm pretty sure I'd be burning bridges left and right--the CEO and I are on a chill level since we sit next to one another.

    I spent a night writing out a pro's and con's list and they pretty much equal out, the ONLY gripe I have is that if I went with the large company it would require a ~2 hour commute (one-way and typical for where I live) but that sort of balances out because they do travel reimbursement for getting into work.

    So here now lies the reason why I'm here... I need advice or some perspective.

    Thanks ahead of time.

    submitted by /u/throwawayforadvice89
    [link] [comments]

    How big is the gap between university studies and knowledge used real jobs

    Posted: 08 Feb 2018 11:48 AM PST

    *Knowledge used IN real jobs

    I'm studying in my second year of computer science but I don't know the kind of knowledge that I'm suposed to have in order to start considering doing interviews and trying internships. I know java and usually program in c#. Also I've learnt in my university about data structures and this kind of simple things.

    Which kind of knowledge are you suposed to have before starting to try to find an internship and so on? I don't know how is the gap between university knowledge and the knowledge used in companies.

    submitted by /u/LanverYT
    [link] [comments]

    Is developer compensation becoming bimodal?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2018 05:20 PM PST

    An article on salaries that might be useful to this sub. Cross posted as suggested here

    Article link : https://danluu.com/bimodal-compensation/

    submitted by /u/WoodKite
    [link] [comments]

    Why are most internships on AngelList.co unpaid?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2018 09:19 AM PST

    For the internships based in California, most of them are unpaid. Isn't this illegal? They basically are asking for full-stack devs to build out their product with no real mentorship. If you're 1) building value for them and 2) not being mentored, isn't this just plain wrong and illegal? If so, how come others haven't tried to get those postings removed from AngelList?

    submitted by /u/ReignNFire
    [link] [comments]

    Do you know any devs with dyslexia? If so, are they good at their job? How much does dyslexia cause them to struggle?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2018 05:41 PM PST

    I don't have dyslexia. Someone I know does and he's trying to become a developer. He's a brilliant guy but it takes him nearly forever to write code because he keeps making typos and not recognizing it right away.

    submitted by /u/crastle
    [link] [comments]

    People with no experience, what do you think working at your dream company is like? Why do you want to work there?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2018 11:57 AM PST

    With so many misconceptions and idolization that goes on in this sub, I'd love to find out what ideas are out there.

    So people with no experience, feel free to share your dream company and things like how many hours you expect to work, what work is like, your work/life balance, etc

    submitted by /u/NotARandomNumber
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone witnessed blatant nepotism before?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2018 09:42 AM PST

    I used to work at a office which had multiple development teams who each had their own manager. Each group was diverse I would say made up of men and woman of different backgrounds. The team I got hired for had a manager who was originally a H1B hire from India and he got the management position not too long before me. What I witnessed in the next 4 years is my team of 15 people, again diverse in gender and nationality get replaced with 12 people with Indian background, either H1B or not. The rest of the teams backgrounds stayed consistent even through hiring but mine specifically was made up just of people with an Indian background. Eventually, I was let go too and my old coworkers said an Indian individual was shortly hired to replace me. I entertained a legal response but everyone told me I really had no case.

    submitted by /u/el1mador
    [link] [comments]

    [Repost] I'm a high school senior trying to decide on an undergrad program. What factors should I consider, career-wise?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2018 07:01 PM PST

    Currently, I'm considering between three options:

    1. No name school with solid co-op program: I've lurked enough on this SubReddit to understand prestige isn't everything. I'm considering schools like Carleton University (relatively unknown Canadian school) that offer co-op terms, alternating between academic and work terms. Subsidized pay by the government and work terms during winter and spring instead of summer (less competition) will make internships a lot easier to come by. This will allow me to graduate with nearly two years of work experience.

    2. Somewhat prestigious school, CS major: A school like UBC or UCSD (I'm out of state for UCSD so tuition will be pricey). There is a co-op program for UBC, but it's not guaranteed and there aren't many work terms.

    3. Prestigious school, not CS major: I'm fairly confident I can get into CMU and Waterloo—except not as a CS major. Of course, CS at these top schools is darn near impossible to get into. At CMU, I have a good shot at getting into statistics, and at Waterloo, I can get into the math program (with co-op).

    There are still other qualities I feel like I should consider, such as proximity to a tech hub.

    submitted by /u/1100H19
    [link] [comments]

    What interests you about computer science?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2018 10:04 AM PST

    For those of you that are intellectually interested in Computer Science, what do you like about it? I'm studying computer science at university and feeling personally uninspired by the field. My true passion is natural/physical science, such as physics. I get excited by seeing how the world works on it's most fundamental and humanly unseeable scale. How can a person like this gain an interest or even passion for computer science? So far, it all seems to be about efficiency, which seems bland and boring to me. As much as I appreciate efficiency, I don't admire it.

    submitted by /u/PuppyLand95
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to slowly "chip away" at a CS degree

    Posted: 08 Feb 2018 10:54 AM PST

    Hey all,

    Here's my situation, and I'm hoping someone has some good suggestions for me! I've been in the video game industry for 10 years, as a producer. I know how to code (a bit), enough to write WoW addons in Lua, make websites in HTML/CSS/JS, and understand technology fairly well and understand agile development, source control, databases, etc.

    I never got a degree. I have 1-2 years of generals out of the way, but not much in math. I make good money now and have a busy career, but I've always wanted a CS degree because I'd like to understand algorithms and architecture better and I'd love to have a degree that's relevant to my field. Do I need it to be successful? No, but I'd like to open up the opportunity to perhaps move into software development roles in the future.

    I was thinking about going the bootcamp route, but realized that they're not for me. They seem good for those who want to switch careers ASAP and get a leg into junior web development at $50k/year. That's not me. I probably know how to code well enough to get one of those jobs now, but it would be a significant step down for me. I'd like to learn the science and come away with a degree I can be proud of achieving, even if I don't switch disciplines at all.

    The trick? I'm a full-time single mom of a toddler. I have to do this online. I can't quit my day job or reduce my hours. I can't afford to take a full class load, as I'd like to pay for this with cash to avoid accumulating any student debt. I'm thinking maybe 1-2 classes a semester, online, to slowly "chip away" at getting a BS in CS over the years. What are my options? Are there any online schools that are more reputable than others? (I'm in Austin, TX if that matters). I'd like to do this "right", but also as inexpensively/slowly as possible to avoid overwhelming myself time/money-wise. I'm opposed to the "for profit" schools, unless someone can convince me it's worth it.

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/iamcuppy
    [link] [comments]

    Considering dropping my work hours to part-time in order to go back to school full time. I'd need a lot of loans. Would that be a horrible decision?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2018 04:27 PM PST

    Right now I'm stuck in retail hell and trying really hard to get a 9-5 office job so I can have a stable schedule and go back to school part time. But I'm really starting to dread the idea of working some shitty office assistant job, taking 2 classes at a time, so I can get my degree when I'm 30 and have still have barely any coding experience. I've tried to go the self-taught route a couple times before but I've never gotten far enough to make myself anywhere near employable. I'm going to try again now that I'm going to have a stable schedule, but if that doesn't work out...would it be a horrible decision to quit my job and pick up something part-time, in order to go back to school full time? I'd probably end up with 60k in loans, including what I've got now.

    submitted by /u/middleout
    [link] [comments]

    IS NYC worth it in terms of salary?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2018 11:51 AM PST

    After hearing a lot about how the East coast isn't so great for single nerdy white dudes in tech because every other person there is a single nerdy white dude in tech I started looking at NYC.....

    Are the salaries in NYC even comparable to some place like Washington that has no income tax? What about California that does have pretty high taxes but have pretty high salaries to compensate. Is it worth it in the long term to go east coast instead of west coast?

    submitted by /u/Venne1138
    [link] [comments]

    How much easier is it to land internships?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2018 04:15 PM PST

    vs junior developer jobs?

    I am finishing up a coding camp in 2 months with Python, Java, Javascript under my belt. I wanted to apply for an internship at disney. Im just wondering should I be prepared to go through a coding interview with intense algorithms and etc considering that many interns have not finished college yet?

    PS. Have university degree in a stem/engineering field

    submitted by /u/guckforo
    [link] [comments]

    Any jobs that use Calculus, Linear algebra, Discrete Math?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2018 06:19 PM PST

    I really am liking all the theory but im worried it's going to be wasted. if i want to use a lot of theory, is there any practical role, or do i have to go into research? also, i prefer SE to CE.

    submitted by /u/wasimwesley
    [link] [comments]

    What was life like before LeetCode and CTCI?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2018 05:51 PM PST

    How were people able to interview and find jobs back then?

    submitted by /u/chibogtime
    [link] [comments]

    Want to become a developer, need advice on where to start?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2018 04:57 PM PST

    Hey y'all. I've been interested in getting into coding for a while now but now I've decided to act on it. I've been gathering information on it and the general census is that school is not really worth it? I found this link https://hackernoon.com/learn-to-code-in-2017-get-hired-and-have-fun-along-the-way-5ff4c1b1a790 and I'm wondering if this is a good place to start. I have always messed around with computers and know my way around enough that I feel comfortable teaching myself computer science. If anyone has opinions, ideas, or links to help me I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for taking the time to read my post :]

    submitted by /u/FarTrip
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone with past Product Management experience that can help out?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2018 07:57 PM PST

    I have an PM intrv coming up and would absolutely love to talk to you about a few things. I am a PM n00b and this is my first such round... thanks!

    submitted by /u/hwarzenegger
    [link] [comments]

    Conflicted career choice (SWE vs Non-SWE)

    Posted: 08 Feb 2018 07:54 PM PST

    Hey CSCQ

    Heres a little backstory

    I will be graduating college this semester with a Bachelor of Science in CS. Woohoo, graduating cum laude too, and I know GPA is not important but I am still proud.

    I have received (and accepted) an offer from a company I interned with last summer for a rotational leadership software engineering program. I was very happy that I did not have to deal with the whole job hunt process as that is where I struggle. The salary is good, about average for a low-medium COL fresh grad software engineer. I did not love my internship. I tried to tell myself I did, but I didn't. I didn't want to believe I interned at the wrong place or potentially chose the wrong career. I did not love the product and the work environment being a bunch of cubicles drove me crazy. I was only there for 10 weeks and man there were some days where I just dreaded going in.

    I am currently, and have been doing tech support for a very large company Cough probably the company that makes the phone you're using Cough for about 2 years now in their college program. I really, really like this company. The culture, the tools, the opportunity for growth and development, my co-workers, I like it all, but lets be honest and call the job what it is...tech support.

    Obviously, the ultimate goal is to get to software engineering at the company that I currently work for, but that is a pipe-dream. I am not graduating from a target school, I don't have any crazy side-projects, and to be honest, I don't think I love coding (however I definitely enjoy it enough to make a career of it). I have applied internally within the company and am still working for it, but the goal is a far reach.

    I have also been applying to other rotational experiences and programs within the company and am extremely confident that I will land one before graduation that way I can be doing something within the company outside of tech support.

    My salary at this position will be about 70% of the software engineering position, but with tons of room for growth and opportunities around every corner. I worked this job through half of my college career, and I can say that I do not believe any other company treats there employees the way this one does (in terms of pay, benefits, opportunities, and really just everything).

    I've been talking this decision over with friends and family and they think I am insane for even considering staying with the tech support job. Their view is that I went to school to get a degree for SWE and would be getting paid more if I took that position, but I feel they do not understand why my decision is tough.

    What I really want to know is if they are right? Am I crazy for considering a significantly lower paying position just because it is with a company I like. Is valuing a place of employment over a career unordinary? Am I just outright dumb for working so hard in college and not reaping the benefits and rewards that my degree and knowledge can bring me? I would love to hear your thoughts, reassuring or not.

    submitted by /u/Kixstander
    [link] [comments]

    How to deal with non-technical questions?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2018 07:53 PM PST

    It seems there's a series of non-technical questions all recruiters ask: how much pay do you expect? what are you currently earning? are you pursuing other opportunities? what are those opportunities? etc.

    How do I address these questions, especially when answering them isn't in my interest? Like "how much are you currently earning?"

    Do I need to be more assertive? Are there good canned responses, something better than "that's none of your fucking business."

    When I'm interviewing I go into zombie-mode - do whatever the zombie master interviewing me tells me to do and they'll like me enough to hire me.

    Are there any good "hacks" to avoid the zombie mindset?

    I'm 100% certain I'd torture someone to death Stanley Milgram-style if an interviewer asked me to. How to get over that?

    submitted by /u/Lanfranc_di_Cambria
    [link] [comments]

    Jane str**t developer on site

    Posted: 08 Feb 2018 07:40 PM PST

    I posted about developer on-site for jane str**t few days so. Thank you sub for the help. I gave 2 roun*s, first was an algo in which I did great. The second one was design (tetris) in which i was average, i struggled to even know what was the inte**iewee expecting (and he kind of felt unfriendly) this was followed by a lunch and then hr rushing me out and was like "kbyemailyoumextweek" i want to know if these all were signs of obvious reject? I think they would have taken more rounds after lunch if i had done great in first 2. Can anyone confirm this.

    submitted by /u/s123ai
    [link] [comments]

    Need pet projects

    Posted: 08 Feb 2018 07:37 PM PST

    Hello so I am an undergrad looking for an internship. I'm currently doing a lot of web development as the internship I wanna get is in that area. My problem is that I don't know what project I can do that's good enough for a resume. People have suggested a personal website and I'm getting work done on that however any ideas for a project I can do that's good enough for resume. My skills html css and JavaScript along with java and c

    submitted by /u/Dabeasty1
    [link] [comments]

    Good way to follow up with a recruiter from a job fair?

    Posted: 08 Feb 2018 03:47 PM PST

    Hey all,

    I went to the career fair at my school today and got two business cards from recruiters. One of whom I had a really good interaction with and I'm fairly certain I would be remembered by her in a positive way. It's a somewhat local financial company and the position is a software development internship. The other one is from a recruiter for a company I'm not entirely sure what they do but it's also an internship. I talked to her after talking to an alumni who works for the company who I knew and had a conversation with. Not sure if all of this information is relevant or if I should take a more generic approach.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Yeahyeah1232
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment