• Breaking News

    Friday, February 2, 2018

    I wanted to make a RPG and learn C#, I found this..

    I wanted to make a RPG and learn C#, I found this..


    I wanted to make a RPG and learn C#, I found this..

    Posted: 02 Feb 2018 01:36 AM PST

    It's juste amazing. I found this yersteday :

    https://wpuploads.azureedge.net/2016/08/LearnCSharpSimpleRPG_2ndEd.pdf

    I read it yersteday, and I learnt more in one hour than 10h of videos. It's so perfect ! I tried to translate this course into unity, and for the moment it's working perfectly. It's incredible, I understand what I'm trying to implement ! :D

    I hope you will enjoy it.

    Kharmit.

    submitted by /u/Kharmit
    [link] [comments]

    Package of 30 (very cute, promised) animals each in 8 styles, public domain and ready for your next project!

    Posted: 02 Feb 2018 09:53 AM PST

    I'm back from not being away. Here's 30 animals (an expansion/remake of a previous pack) each in 8 styles (square/round, with/without outline, and with/without added detail and a mix of those). There's a bear, buffalo, chick, chicken, cow, crocodile, dog, duck, elephant, frog, giraffe, goat, gorilla, hippo, horse, monkey, moose, narwhal, owl, panda, parrot, penguin, pig, rabbit, rhino, sloth, snake, walrus, whale, and a zebra.

    License: CC0 (public domain), completely free to use in personal, educational and commercial projects (no permission/credit required). Download includes license file.




    Have fun, have a great weekend and let me know if you use the assets in one of your projects. Cheers!

    submitted by /u/KenNL
    [link] [comments]

    I'm making a game engine from scratch in C++ and now starting to post as I go - this is the first one. While not exactly a tutorial, I plan the posts to be in-depth enough that people could learn from any of my mistakes or successes.

    Posted: 02 Feb 2018 09:02 AM PST

    20,000+ free sound effects to download

    Posted: 01 Feb 2018 10:28 PM PST

    Video Interview with the Hiring Manager at Obsidian Entertainment about what Hiring Managers at game studios look for in potential employees

    Posted: 01 Feb 2018 02:17 PM PST

    C++ Newbie Trying to Set Up SFML + IDE

    Posted: 02 Feb 2018 07:31 AM PST

    Hey everyone. I'm fairly new to programming, having tested the waters a few times over the last five years and learned the basic syntax and math operations. I'm now at the point where I'm trying to make a white square walk around a grid, test out collision, draw a tile map from an array or some other type of container (advice on what would be most efficient would be great!).

    My problem is, I've run into a brick wall with IDEs. Visual Studio crashes on every launch, I've tried 3 versions. Notepad++ works great, but I can't find a single guide online on how to use SFML with it, short of dealing with static link libraries, which confuses me to the point that I don't think I'm ready for it. I've settled on Code::Blocks and seem to have gotten SFML in and working, but now I'm having .dll conflicts with files from MinGW. I think the program is using the DLLs from my Windows folder instead of the ones in my C::B directory? Or something? I don't really understand it, and the solutions I've found on Stack Overflow didn't work (changing paths? I think?), or just said "question too vague, locking topic", or people telling the OP's to "do their research".

    I'm getting frustrated and want to quit, but I really want to get back into learning. Any help would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/ZWeakley
    [link] [comments]

    How do you talk with your customers?

    Posted: 02 Feb 2018 10:01 AM PST

    When talking to your customers, are you using a big company approach (polite, mechanical automatic responses - example (

    Customer - You game is sh.. , I don't care you have worked on it for 10 years, its bunch of BS.

    You - thank you so much for your feedback, we will try to think of ways to improve your experience.)

    Or you are using a natural human response - example :

    Customer - You game is sh.. , I don;t care you have worked on it for 10 years, its bunch of BS.

    You - F... off. You have played my game for 2 minutes, either play more and than provide valuable feedback or get lost?

    What is your approach and why?

    submitted by /u/whitesharktech
    [link] [comments]

    Solving Minesweeper and making it better

    Posted: 02 Feb 2018 08:03 AM PST

    Are my projects good enough to get a job in the industry?

    Posted: 02 Feb 2018 10:48 AM PST

    Hi all,

    I'm approaching a year at my first job in the public sector. I want to find another job, and game development has always been interesting to me.

    I'm mainly a Java guy from school, but I thoroughly enjoyed C++.

    Unfortunately, I don't have impressive projects to show, only shitty ones. I don't have experience in Unreal or Unity.

    The only personal projects I have are:

    1) A shitty 2D space shooter in Java/Slick2D/libGDX. My first attempt at making a game, about 3-4 years back. Github

    2) A simple framework for boardgames in C++, with Othello implemented. Nothing fancy, just a console/text game in an MVC pattern. But has some neat features like undo moves, and the logic for detecting valid moves is pretty neat. Github

    Out of school, I landed some interviews with some gaming companies. I had a timed C++ code test with Roblox, which I did not pass (horrible testing platform). I also had a project sent to me by Insomniac, to make a memory heap allocator in C, I was on the right track but it was above my skill level and didn't finish.

    Are these projects enough to land a gameplay or even game engine programming position?

    Work on more projects to learn Unity/Unreal, or work on interviewing and study linear algebra/C++/DSA?

    Here is a redacted version of my resume. Probably isn't appealing with all the government stuff on there so I'm worried.

    submitted by /u/steveachu
    [link] [comments]

    Why Monster Hunter World's Combat is so Satisfying

    Posted: 02 Feb 2018 09:48 AM PST

    Doing steganography with the godot engine to save character data to images (with source code)

    Posted: 02 Feb 2018 09:31 AM PST

    Books by Game Artists for Game Artists

    Posted: 02 Feb 2018 05:33 AM PST

    Hey folks,

    A friend of mine is a recently minted Art Director, and his birthday is coming up. I've been wondering whether there are any game art books out there written from a more technical point of view.

    Does anyone know of any beautiful art books written with game artists in mind, something that might inspire him?

    submitted by /u/Coguelin
    [link] [comments]

    FBX pipeline for Maya and Unity

    Posted: 02 Feb 2018 08:05 AM PST

    Optimization tips on console based game in C#

    Posted: 02 Feb 2018 10:09 AM PST

    So I'm making a console based shoot em up game in c#, and I'm having trouble with performance.
    To make things simple. Printing something means going through it's 2d char array and every time there's something else than a '\0' it gets Console.Write'd to console and a reference added to a 2d array for hitbox purposes. The same process (but printing ' ' and referencing null) for deleting things. To move something, it gets deleted and reprinted in the new location.

    Now, this gets really slow (and quickly) the more things in movement there are and I was wondering if there's something I can do better with this approach or if I should change it completely.

    I've read that console.write line is pretty slow. Is there something I can do about it, or is there some other console, accesible through a library, that's more responsive. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/DanielR249
    [link] [comments]

    Kickstarter and games in 2017

    Posted: 02 Feb 2018 10:06 AM PST

    2018 CryEngine 5.4 Basics: Texturing Basic Models

    Posted: 02 Feb 2018 07:35 AM PST

    Recommend me a 3D framework / engine

    Posted: 02 Feb 2018 09:04 AM PST

    Being more or less a newcomer into the game dev field and with the multitude of available options, I'm a bit lost.

    My common weapon of choice is C++ and I'm developing on Linux.

    Basically I'm looking for something simple and lightweight to take care of all the OS stuff (I'm primarily targeting Windows), rendering, preferably some basic physics (such as collisions). Some skeletal morphing to help with animations would be amazing, so would be particle systems and sound. It doesn't even need to have a level editor or anything, I can make that myself; I could use Blender or so to make models and then have the engine take care of loading and optimization. I don't mind tweaking and modifying the engine code, but the point is that I want to focus on the design and context programming, not reinventing the wheel.

    Tried Unreal but it's waaaay too big and slow for my needs.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/TheSoundDude
    [link] [comments]

    How to name a game?

    Posted: 02 Feb 2018 08:30 AM PST

    Remake of an old DOS game (Crystal Caves)

    Posted: 02 Feb 2018 11:58 AM PST

    Hey there. I really loved the DOS game „Crystal Caves". It would be awesome if a remake or a similiar type of game would exist on iOS and Android. I'm pretty fit in graphics and coding, so this would not be a problem.

    Do you think there is a market for this type of game? In general I enjoyed leps world or that pewdiepie game on mobile.

    More info on crystal caves: Crystal Caves is a trilogy of side-scrolling platform games, developed and published by Apogee Software. It was originally going to be released in September 5, 1991 but was delayed for a month.[2] The three episodes have the titles "Troubles with Twibbles," "Slugging it Out" and "Mylo Versus the Supernova".

    Screenshot

    Thank you very much for your answers.

    submitted by /u/fistfukka
    [link] [comments]

    My best created level

    Posted: 02 Feb 2018 11:51 AM PST

    BIZ: Startup Game Companies and Methodologies

    Posted: 02 Feb 2018 03:54 AM PST

    Hello!

    TL;DR;

    This is a discussion about how game companies can be sustainables. I will show my experience so far and ask some tips in the end.

    A LITTLE BIT ABOUT THE SITUATION:

    I am a full-time Software Developer and also founder of a small team (3 people) that want to build a Game Company "Startup". We are "working" since 2016 but in those two past years we had some issues that did not let us work in our project. But in this year (2018) we are trying different approaches to build a company and a game.

    OUR NEW APPROACHES SO FAR:

    About the game: I was searching a form to test this "game hypothesis". And to do that I am following some startup project advices, to build a MVP and test it. But how do that with a game? Well, I chose to do that building a small survey that asks key things like "will you enjoy playing a game with this [X] theme?", "What would you like to see in this game?", "Would you buy this game?", and other commom questions like age, gender, etc., to be able to get a glimpse of the target audience, and also to try to get some insights about the game. After that survey (or during) we will build a prototype in two parts. The first part is a prototype with primimitive objects to test the core of the gameplay, camera position, game controls, enemies, death and life states, damage and AI of some NPC. I call this "core-prototype", and its main objective is to keep programming ahead art assets, because art assets is more expensive than programming. The cycle to do that is "build-validate-improve". To validate our core-prototype we will show our friends, that will not care about the primitive models, and to people that really will give valuable technical feedbacks and learn from that and improve the core-prototype. After our core-prototype is done we will go to prototy part 2, that is a "polished-prototype". In that part we will need some core assets from artists. Like a first version of the Character and Enemies and the Emviroment. But just the essential. And with that we will go to that same cycle "build-validate-improve" but now with more random and unkown users. Get some feedback, and improve. After that we will go to the real implementation of animations, enemies and other assets, and close a scope on the first level to build it all and test again with more users, after that, this will proccess repeat for every level in the game until is done.

    About the Company: My main concern is not technical, like how to make a game, and wich tools to use, but it is how to see a light in the dark on the busines side of this company project. To make a company sustainable we need a good business model. This business model for Software companies (where I come from) is "You want to make a software, pay me $$$$ that I do", or "I have this X product that fit your company needs, and will guarantee 15% less waste of resources, do you want to buy from me for $$$$ and also hire our support service for $$ per year?". So, as you see, sounds more easier and clear, but when we are talking about game companies, there is a lack of options, so far we are going to the business model "I am selling a Game, and it is fun, do you want to play?" (PREMIUM model), but also there is many other options, like "Hey you can download my game for free, there is some ads but you can remove then paying $" (FREEMIUM?), and also "Hello, here is a game that you can download for free and get some items inside. But if you pay $ you can have them whenever you want" (FREEMIUM), and "Hey, do you want to make a game? Pay me $$$ that we do for you" (OUTSOURCING / ADVERGAMES?), this is good (for me), but as we dont have a portifolio yet that is hard to achieve clients.

    NOW SOME QUESTIONS:

    So, in the game development proccess I think we are going in a good direction, but to maintain a company sustainable I feel in the dark yet. With no clue if the game is going to sell, or what is the best business model to follow. Some one have good tips around that?

    I hope this text can help you, and also help me! It is always good to share knowledge in this field.

    Edit: Formatting

    submitted by /u/kephiroth
    [link] [comments]

    PUBG is the most successful (paid) PC game of 2017 with nearly 2X the revenue of second place Overwatch.

    Posted: 01 Feb 2018 06:05 PM PST

    IndieGiving2018 at GDC18... Who's going?

    Posted: 02 Feb 2018 10:49 AM PST

    Who's going to IndieGiving or has gone in years past?

    This is the 8th year now for IndieGiving. I've been to many of them.

    Didn't mean to make this a advertising post, but apparently I need to have more content in here for it to be approved so here : "The Indie Giving event is a special program designed to help independent game developers attend the 2018 Game Developer Conference in San Francisco. Everyone who signs up will also get the chance to take part in a charity event to support a local organization & have their remaining donation donated to the Water.org organization."

    submitted by /u/RozekEnhance
    [link] [comments]

    Advice on where to start with a city builder in Unity

    Posted: 02 Feb 2018 10:40 AM PST

    Hey everyone,

    I'm looking for some advice on where to start with making a city builder in Unity. Are there any good tutorials out there or examples I could work from?

    Thanks for your help!

    submitted by /u/turtleboy523
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment