• Breaking News

    Wednesday, February 7, 2018

    How did SpaceX stream 1080 video from space? What tech stack, hardware, etc.? learn programming

    How did SpaceX stream 1080 video from space? What tech stack, hardware, etc.? learn programming


    How did SpaceX stream 1080 video from space? What tech stack, hardware, etc.?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 03:11 PM PST

    I guess the title is pretty self explanatory, I would love to know how they managed to stream that video at such a high quality, with so few interruptions with such a smooth rate. Was it the tech stack? Compression? Specific hardware? Or just a fat "pipe". Appreciating that this isn't the run of the mill network we use here on Earth with hard wires and such, plus the fact the network we have down here has been tested by millions (maybe more) - and even that buggers up from time to time.. usually when we 'need' it most! I just feel theyve achieved an astonishing feat with this video stream aside from the epic launch, etc itself! Thanks in advance y'all! 😁

    submitted by /u/ashmaan
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to learn web development, looking for a mentor, guidelines and general advise.

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 04:21 AM PST

    Hi,

    I am a 29 year old artist who happens to love computers. I went to art school and have tried to make it as an artist last few years but it never really worked out. Right now, I have a lot of free time at hand and decided to learn web development. ( I used to make websites/do design work on photoshop etc about 10 years back. But mostly just using templates or basic HTML.)

    I am currently doing the free code camp course and have locked in over 90 hours on there. Although, it feels like whatever I am learning there will not be used in real world. Do you guys think that I should go through with the course? Like will it be helpful? I want to be able to build and host websites from scratch.

    I am also very fascinated by the blockchain and would want to learn how to utilize that to create programs that solve real problems in future.

    What other advise would you offer to someone just starting out? I do not have a lot of money to put towards a paid on-line course. Free learning resources/books will be greatly appreciated.

    Lastly, how can I go about finding a remote mentor to guide me through the learning process? I think it will be a great help to have someone review what I am doing and give feedback.

    Sorry if the post is not well formatted. English is not my first language.

    submitted by /u/fractalnerd
    [link] [comments]

    How do you guys go about looking up a coding problem when you get stuck?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 11:08 AM PST

    I've been working on RoR/JavaScript and when i get stuck and have questions I of course use Google, stackoverflow, and Reddit. But was just curious how you guys go about looking up your questions when you're stuck. Maybe share what resources you use. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/jhyatt1017
    [link] [comments]

    IDE Recommendations: any language

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 09:42 PM PST

    I have been writing Java in Netbeans for a while now, just picked up C++ and I'm pulling my hair out with the IDE and Compiler. I'm using Visual Studio 2017 and I don't understand why I need to output to the command prompt rather than in the IDE(?) I get an error every time I run a program! Are there any simpler programs out there for C++?

    Thanks in advaned for all and any feedback! :)

    submitted by /u/mustyMONARCH
    [link] [comments]

    How does one implement a "reward" or goal into a program?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 11:53 AM PST

    I was listening to a podcast today about ML/Deep Learning and they said in order to teach a program by example you need to institute rewards for the program.

    This idea stunned me. I have been interested in AI for years and it never occurred to me that I had no idea how to begin giving a program a "reward" or even how to tell it something is good or desirable.

    The only thing I could think of was that the program would run until it stopped for instance, run until x = 10 and increase x by one every 5 seconds. Essentially saying it was bad for the program to be running, and that it's sole purpose was to no longer be running (Hi look at me, Mr. Meseeks!).This didn't really seem to make sense to me as a "reward" for a program.

    I feel like I am missing a huge concept here and once it is explained I will be slightly embarrassed.

    submitted by /u/moonsout_goonsout
    [link] [comments]

    What's a good easy and beginner friendly text edit software for practicing Javascript?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 08:55 PM PST

    Hi everyone! Sorry if my title doesn't really make sense. I'm learning Javascript and I really like the way it looks on freecodecamp. (the color coordination) I tried downloading VSC but i'm having trouble making it look like FCC's colored text. Any suggestions and advice for a beginner?

    submitted by /u/ripealligatoregg
    [link] [comments]

    Anybody Here Attended a Coding Bootcamp or Know Somebody Who Has?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 10:19 PM PST

    Hi everyone,

    For a couple months now, I've been teaching myself web and app development using online resources like Udemy and I am really liking it. So far I have built a couple basic iOS apps and one relatively more advanced, which is a real-time multiplayer game, so I would say my skill level is around intermediate level.

    Since I don't have a CS degree or any formal programming training, I've been considering doing a coding bootcamp because I really enjoy programming and would like to hopefully get a job in the industry. I'm considering doing a bootcamp in San Francisco, and I heard HackReactor was one of the best. However I heard both good things and bad things about coding bootcamps, so I'm wondering whether any of you have attended one before or know people who have and can share some experience. Specifically, I'm wondering whether they adequately prepare you for a dev job. And also, how marketable is a developer without a CS degree but has gone through a bootcamp?

    submitted by /u/jedidavid17
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for more books like "How not to program in c++"

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 04:11 PM PST

    After some random searches I came across a book filled with broken code that you had to debug and get working. Needless to say I got hooked. They started off with simple semi-colon mistakes and moved onto classes and obscure errors. I was wondering if any of y'all have some similar suggestions as to where I can find more of these types of books or similar learning projects. I think that they are kinda fun and I enjoy (really) debugging programs.

    Maybe there's a github filled with them. If anybody can point me in the right direction I would be much obliged.

    submitted by /u/TrustmeIreddit
    [link] [comments]

    Recommendations on workbooks on OOP design principles

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 09:31 PM PST

    I'm trying to think about problems in a way that reflects OOP Design priniciples. Is there a workbook that someone can recommend that would help? I'm looking for something like this: https://www.mhprofessional.com/9780071611619-usa-schaums-outline-of-data-structures-with-java-2ed-group

    submitted by /u/CheeseburgerLover911
    [link] [comments]

    [Python] Script that connects to a website periodically encounters this error after 2 - 3 hours of running.

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 02:46 AM PST

    I have a python script that basically goes to a website that I host locally but accesses through a DNS and downloads an image every 5 seconds. After running it for 1 - 2 hours it throws me this error.

    OSError: [WinError 10013] An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions 

    Everything was working as expected.It doesn't always fail exactly 2 hours later. Sometimes it can go for four hours. Sometimes it happens after 30 minutes. And once I ran it overnight with no issues.

    I think I know what the problem is. My internet is a little spotty sometimes and loses connection. Is there a way to stop it from completely shutting the script down and instead wait a while and try again?

    Is there also a way I can get more debug info from the error like what time the error was thrown or how long the script has been running?

    Cheers!

    submitted by /u/Fhy40
    [link] [comments]

    How long does it take to learn C++?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 08:12 PM PST

    I am new to c++, I know some basic c++ and know my way around Visual studio but I have a question that I cant seem to find an answer to anywhere.

    How long does is take to lean c++ to the point where you can make complex programs?

    I mean taking out learning speeds etc. how long on average did it take?

    submitted by /u/Vega_Csgo
    [link] [comments]

    Node.js For Complete Beginners [Part 2]

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 11:52 PM PST

    In previous video i gave introduction about Node.Js.. In this part we will start with code.. I hope you will find this helpful

    Video Link : https://youtu.be/GEa80m1roqo

    submitted by /u/CodeBlooded121
    [link] [comments]

    Delegation vs Composition - the last part of the Programmer Dictionary

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 11:51 PM PST

    Brute force algorthm - 2^n time?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 09:47 AM PST

    http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~wayne/kleinberg-tardos/pdf/02AlgorithmAnalysis.pdf

    On page 4 of these slides, it claims that a brute force algorithm runs in 2n time or worse.

    I guess the or worse part makes it technically true, but am I wrong in thinking this is misleading? Wouldn't every possible pattern be nn or n!, depending on if repetition is allowed? Where do they get 2n from?

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/prmtm1
    [link] [comments]

    How can I proxy an MP3 file through another program?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 11:14 PM PST

    I want to create a mp3 download analytics website. The concept is to have a URL like this:

    http://sometrackingsite.com/redirect.mp3/webhostingcompany.com/bestsong.mp3 

    This part of the URL, captures the user-agent and other data:

    http://trackingsite.com/redirect.mp3 

    And then forwards the request to here where the actual mp3 lives:

    webhostingcompany.com/bestsong.mp3 

    But the problem is, I'm having a hard time conceptually figuring out how this can be done. Should I use apache rewrite rules and process then forward the request, or somehow stream the destination mp3 through this redirect mp3 file?

    submitted by /u/tunnelsup
    [link] [comments]

    [HTML] So for a project I need to make a login, however for this login we want a different kind of thing.

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 10:54 PM PST

    For the login we want a sort of code like if this text is entered here and this password is entered in here then it logs you in to a custom page. This is for a school project for teachers (example) who can access a role to take on the class.

    submitted by /u/ialhakak
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to access an Office 365 Form through an API?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 02:00 PM PST

    I have a simple form (as in, from the Office 365 Forms app belonging to my organization) that I want to access from a Python script (the Excel data export version, preferably). I'm having a hard time getting to grips with the Office 365 API documentation, and I kinda don't want to spend a lot of time on this as it's a "nice to have" type feature. So, does anyone know if this is at all possible, and if yes, could you give me a few pointers? Thanks in advance for any tips.

    submitted by /u/fetthesten
    [link] [comments]

    UpSkillCourses Ruby on Rails Template on Amazon Web Services Cloud9

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 10:37 PM PST

    I just started the UpSkillCourses class for web development. The tutorial seems to be made before the Amazon acquisition of Cloud9.

    Where can I find and how do I apply a Ruby/Rails template for the Amazon Web Services Version of Could9? In the tutorial it looks very easy, but it's not the same and I haven't found any options within the current Cloud9 new environment setup or in the IDE.

    submitted by /u/sr71shark
    [link] [comments]

    Question about templates [c++]

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 12:39 PM PST

    I'm making a template class and I have all my functions with T& in case the template type T is some class where passing by reference will save memory. The only problem is that if T is a primitive like type int, then passing by reference is impossible and so the code won't compile. What is the best way to deal with this issue?

    submitted by /u/Ludwig0
    [link] [comments]

    what skill set is needed to write a script for a series of tasks completed by printer, microphone and website apps?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 10:06 PM PST

    Hi everyone! I am an artist who recently thinks about making a work which will be driven by a script to archive the following tasks:

    1- monitor the state of an external printer, once a task is completed, start task 2

    2- call an external microphone to record, and stop recording when the state of the printed is X

    3- call a web application, upload the record file, do XYZ, get a new file

    4- send the file to the print…

    loop…

    So this action sequence will involve a printer, a microphone, certain website, and the communication among them. Through the procedure, new files are created and being processed.

    Could somebody here kindly let me know what kind of skill set is needed to script this? (Sorry for the language if it is not clear, I am not a native speaker)

    Thanks so much!!

    (skills & languages that I know: js for web developing, some c/c++ (just did the problem set for courses, don't know how I/O with real operating system to do real project) )

    submitted by /u/cultyyy
    [link] [comments]

    I need help in to know what resources I should look at for a desktop application!

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 10:03 PM PST

    Hey everybody,

    I want to be a desktop application that can connect to the Internet to use a cloud service. I'm so lost in trying to find what direction I should go towards. I spent the day looking at .NET, Visual Basic, C++ .... Does anybody know what frameworks I should be looking at?

    submitted by /u/koreasuh
    [link] [comments]

    How to get images from PDF for commercial software?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 10:01 PM PST

    I am really having trouble finding a way to read images from PDF files in a software I'd like to sell. Basically every library that interacts with PDF is non-commercial. Even just immediately converting a PDF into PNG would solve my needs. Does anyone have some advice? I'm using C# to develop in but I don't need anything native to the language.

    I was considering directing users to install something on their own like GhostScript or CPDF so that my program could rely on it. But I found some people saying that if your program is non-functional without relying on an [A]GPL licensed software then you're in trouble. But others said you can rely on GPL libraries as an isolated library only then it's okay. Would it be acceptable to not-redistribute but direct users to go to their site and download GhostScript. Then have my program call into it on the users machine? I'd never modify or provide the library myself.

    submitted by /u/Marksta
    [link] [comments]

    A soft real time system has four periodic tasks, how do I calculate the cpu time

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 05:38 AM PST

    So I have four periodic events with periods of 50, 100, y and 250 ms, where y is 10 * the day in the month of your birthdate. The four events need 15,20,10 and x ms of cpu time. How do I calculate the biggest possible value of x?

    Shouldn't x just be x<= of 250ms or am I missing something?

    Edit: Nvm I'm stupid.

    I have to solve : 15/50 + 20/100 + y/10 + x/250 = 1 right? So the answer is 5Y

    submitted by /u/IcyKera
    [link] [comments]

    Relatively new to programming and I'm in love, But IDK where to go.

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 09:48 PM PST

    Sorry for the long post I've learned a bit of HTML and CSS and I enjoyed staring at an IDE, just writing line after line of simple code but to me its rather boring. I really don't enjoy web development. I started learning python and ate it up. Now im trying to learn C# and everything about object oriented programming seems amazing and I enjoy it but... Where should I go for content? Im enrolled in a computer science program at my school but I haven't started any classes for programming yet and I'm getting antsy. I really wanna learn how to be a software developer but don't know where to go. It almost feels like learning the language and basic syntax is the easier part (correct me if I'm wrong) and learning all the different terminology of the field along with different things like Git and .net and whatnot (no idea really what those are). I guess my biggest question is where should i go to learn this stuff? Is there a one stop shop for these types of things?

    submitted by /u/ThemDeeps
    [link] [comments]

    mysql query not working in express but connection.query isn't throwing error?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 09:48 PM PST

    This is my index.js file. My website is loading the index.html served by response.sendfile in the connection.query so it works, but my database isn't receiving the query. My table user_test is still empty. How is this possible and what am I doing wrong?

     //This file will run a dev port at localhost 3000 or send //the production build to index.html which is the webpack configed //file that contains all css and js files after running npm run build var express = require('express') var app = express() var mysql = require('mysql') var connection = mysql.createConnection({ host : 'localhost', user : 'root', password : '**********', database: 'test' }); connection.connect() app.set('port', (process.env.PORT || 3000)) app.use(express.static(__dirname + '/build')) app.get('*', function(request, response){ connection.query('insert into user_test (name) values ("it worked!")' , function(err, results, fields){ if (err) throw err response.sendFile(__dirname + './build/index.html') }) //response.sendFile(__dirname + './build/index.html') }) app.listen(app.get('port'), function(){ console.log("Express server statrted on port", app.get('port')) }) 
    submitted by /u/lambo4bkfast
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment