• Breaking News

    Friday, February 2, 2018

    Changes to the r/webdev community web developers

    Changes to the r/webdev community web developers


    Changes to the r/webdev community

    Posted: 02 Feb 2018 04:57 AM PST

    We heard your feedback about the recent changes to the community. Thanks to everyone who participated in the discussion.

    Flair is optional (in most cases)

    Flairs are an easy way to organize a subreddit and allow users to filter out content they don't want. If a user just wants to view articles, they can filter out questions, and so forth. If your post is a question asking for technical help, any "beginner" question, etc, then your post must be flaired accordingly. If it is anything else, flair is optional but encouraged.

    Showoff Saturday

    r/webdev is supposed to be a place for people to come and find all kinds of resources valuable to web developers. Excessive amounts of critique requests and content that is just "look what I made!" is the exact opposite of that. Therefore, we don't want the main thread to be consumed by these posts. With the previous ruleset, the moderator team removed a fair amount of these excessive critique requests.

    With that being said, we are going to experiment with "Showoff Saturday." On Saturdays, you can post your portfolio, your project, or anything you made in the main thread. If such content is posted on any other day, it will be removed and you will be reminded that you must wait until Saturday.

    Subreddit theme

    We are discussing the use of a theme on the subreddit. We are considering the same design used on r/web_design, found here. The theme that was in place had several bugs and issues with it, and it made everyone's lives better by removing it entirely. If you have any suggestions, please feel free to discuss them below.

    Line of communication

    The changes were not communicated well, and we understand that. The last thing we want to do is disrespect the user base that makes r/webdev what it is. Any further changes to the subreddit will be communicated clearly via a sticky on the subreddit for at least a week before changes are implemented.

    These changes are in effect immediately. Again, thanks for your patience while we continue to strive for what's best for our community.

    submitted by /u/Mdude2312
    [link] [comments]

    "Coding" - CSS only loading animation. webdev like the SVG version and requested CSS, here it is. Sharing Github repo

    Posted: 02 Feb 2018 05:00 AM PST

    What does it mean when state changes?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2018 08:16 PM PST

    I don't understand what is going on when I change the state of an application. Is it only for really interconnected apps because you need the changed value in many places?

    Thanks for any help, I really dont get it - I haven't really known when to ask

    submitted by /u/hiphophipp0
    [link] [comments]

    Well, I took the leap and started my own digital agency. Wish me luck!

    Posted: 02 Feb 2018 07:02 AM PST

    I was recently let go from an upper management tech position. The thought of going to work for another company just didn't excite me.

    So I decided to start my own thing. I had my first client meeting yesterday, have partnered with a couple of other agencies to refer work to one another, and brought on a marketing/SEO expert.

    Life changes can usually be turned into opportunities. 2018 is looking up!

    submitted by /u/TheRealKornbread
    [link] [comments]

    I work all week. I am a husband and father on the weekends. Am I a worthy developer?

    Posted: 02 Feb 2018 07:50 AM PST

    I have been a web developer at the same company for going on 6 years. We use LAMP and LEMP environments. I have built over 40 websites at my current position. I code using vanilla Java-script where I can, Jquery,, PHP, and of course HTML and CSS. I have built numerous WordPress sites with custom themes/child themes and plugins. I have used LESS/SASS and typically run my builds using a task runner like grunt or gulp though I hear I should be using Webpack. I'm really enjoy the challenge of low page load time with things like image compression, concatenation and minification of files along with async loading and above the fold css techniques.

    The problem: I feel uneasy because I don't feel like I "know" js and php inside in out without having to reference the documentation. Am I expected to know every in and out plus syntax of these languages for a white board test? Is it normal for developers use the provided documentation when they are programming? That question and feeling overwhelms me. If so, why would anyone give a whiteboard test for a programmer?

    How do I move forward: I have watched a lot of tutorials on MEAN, MERN and general node.js and understand it all. After 40 hours of work plus commute during the week and being a home owner, husband, father and human, I rarely have time on the weekends to build new projects, or participate in open source communities. Does that make me less worthy? Am I expected to be a developer at work and at home?

    What's next in my career? I really like the Node/ Angular/ React/Vue/ Mongo & Express type builds but my current job doesn't have a practical use for it. I have done plenty of "hello-worlds" prior to the birth of my son but I never written a real application with them. What do you guys do to grow? Should my job be giving me time to grow as a developer? Is it all my fault and I should just find time on the weekends to build something?

    Thanks in advance for reading. I really like r/webdev and hope this isn't off topic of this thread.

    submitted by /u/Errigan
    [link] [comments]

    Developers what things have your leaders done really right?

    Posted: 02 Feb 2018 09:38 AM PST

    Context:

    Just recently my boss approached me about being a position leading development at my workplace. Myself and a few of my coworkers have been doing unstructured development for around a year now. It's been really difficult because we work in different departments and our supervisors have different priorities for us. This is why my boss worked with the other department heads and are going to organize us into a development team.

    What I really want to know:

    I am very excited and motivated to get our team together and moving in the right direction in unison. The problem I have is I have never lead a development team. I have lead several projects outside of the software development world and have a general idea of things to think through but I want to hear from some of the best practices your leaders have implemented.

    I am sure some of the 193,017 (as of me righting this) readers can help with some of the best practices and procedures your leaders have implemented so that I can start this team off on the right. Also, if you have any things that leadership did that was really wrong please share that experience here.

    Thank you all for any suggestions / help. I am not a fountain of knowledge but I am pretty sure this sub is so I am ready to drink from the fire hose.

    TL:DR, My Boss wants me to lead a new software development team at our office but I have no experience as a software development lead. I have experience leading projects and I have experience with software development, just not together. What are some practices or procedures you think I should implement?

    submitted by /u/dtaivp
    [link] [comments]

    [Question] Vue vs. Angular vs. React?

    Posted: 02 Feb 2018 02:03 PM PST

    I recently graduated and got a job as web developer with little previous web development experience, aside from hard coding HTML and CSS for electives.

    As a computer engineering graduate, I've been using python, and recently npm and gulp, to help build web pages for me. With recent research I've found these three frameworks, and they all look pretty cool. I was hoping to get the communities opinion on them as far as advantages and disadvantages for each.

    Thanks in advance for all your thoughts.

    submitted by /u/erunks
    [link] [comments]

    TypeScript 2.7 released

    Posted: 02 Feb 2018 09:13 AM PST

    I’m trying to become a front end web developer but it feels like I’m going nowhere

    Posted: 02 Feb 2018 12:54 PM PST

    I've been learning front end for 8 months now. I know HTML, CSS, JS, jQuery, preprocessed languages, web hosting, control flow, and have some minor framework knowledge - yet I can't see myself getting a job any time soon. What do I need? What do I do?

    submitted by /u/JohnCdf
    [link] [comments]

    100 projects I made while learning JavaScript over a year ago

    Posted: 02 Feb 2018 11:16 AM PST

    How do podcasts work?

    Posted: 02 Feb 2018 12:10 PM PST

    Is there some kind of open API or protocol that podcast apps get their data from?

    submitted by /u/alfredmuffin
    [link] [comments]

    # web dev sites is equlivent to how many years in experience?

    Posted: 02 Feb 2018 03:27 PM PST

    been a front end web developer for a while now and i was wondering how i might translate the number of sites i've developed into 'working' years so that i can apply to job ads, ie: 100 sites equals to 1 year of experience. Never worked for a company before and things are getting slow so i was wanting to get a full time job while still doing my freelancing on the side.

    submitted by /u/redeyerds
    [link] [comments]

    Do you have a favorite website you go to for inspiration? Let's share.

    Posted: 01 Feb 2018 05:55 PM PST

    Color: Paletton

    UX: The 10 laws of UX, illustrated

    Web IDE: Coding Ground

    Anyone have any good sites for layout?

    submitted by /u/DreadKnot606
    [link] [comments]

    Fairly new to Web Development, planning my first app. Can I get some recommendations on what technologies to use?

    Posted: 02 Feb 2018 02:31 PM PST

    In school my Web Dev class consisted of HTML, CSS and JavaSCript. I'm trying to go a bit farther and build my first web app. I want to make a simple game, but I am not sure what to use for the front and beck end.

    The game I want to create will help people learn the Japanese syllabary Hiragana, by showing them images of characters, and playing a sound of the pronunciation, then asking them to pick what the symbol is using multiple choice. It is a very simple game.

    I need to store user information such as login credentials, and progress in the game. I also need to store roughly 50 images, and sound bites. Would google fire base, and cloud services be a good fit for my back end? Can you think of something more fitting.

    For the front end, I need to slightly animate the images. I can probably get by with css, and sass, but if you have any recommendations on a good front end for this project please let me know.

    Thanks for your help.

    submitted by /u/MovingToYpsi
    [link] [comments]

    ASP.NET Core 2.1 roadmap

    Posted: 02 Feb 2018 10:30 AM PST

    bored at work, figuring out next steps

    Posted: 02 Feb 2018 02:15 PM PST

    hi there,

    i am a 27 y/o software engineer at an established company. we have our own internal framework that is definitely not cutting edge even though our use of kubernetes and docker may be. i am being asked to do pretty simple things in my opinion. currently hiring some new people for this new project that we are supposed to be using React for. the only other developer on my immediate team is an older guy that is not up speed with newer tech. he tried to get up and going with some React and ended up scraping it and using an express / jade boilerplate and saying "we are just getting our feet wet, attempting to solve some of the problems well be solving". his code is amateurish and disorganized. I like that I can come in at 10am and leave at 4:30, but its getting ridiculous. sitting in meetings with biz folks talking about this very complex monolith app whose front-end my team is re-writing (supposedly in react). i take pride in my code and its been frustrating having my code be so much cleaner than all the code around it. i dont get a lot of feedback on my code and the little that i have is very unsubstantial (i.e. dont use object shorthand notation because it is not like the other code). i should say i have a lot of respect for my boss (professionally and personally) and even if i have these frustrations its actually been the only in-person job that i can stand going in to work for.

    my work history is as follows: 6 months in person, 3 months remote, 3 months remote, 3 months remote with a couple months break in between so definitely very inconsistent (though ive been working with webdev on my own for over 10 years). now i got a contact from a recruiter looking to hire me 100% remote doing scala which would definitely be a step up in challenge (no experience with scala though strong full stack js guy). this would be contract and im currently w2. ive only been at my current role 4 months, but i rarely come across 100% remote opportunities that pay as well as this one. having a hard time figuring out my next steps. i was hoping to get to at least 6 months at my current role.

    clearly there are trade-offs either way.

    submitted by /u/catchingtherosemary
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a podcast buddy

    Posted: 02 Feb 2018 10:13 AM PST

    Hey guys. I love to talk about web development. So much so, on my YouTube wedev channel I started a series were I just discuss my experience every day of joining a team adopting agile.

    I feel my videos are solid but could be much more entertaining with someone else I could bounce my opinions off. Anyone interested?

    I have 1.8k subscribers on my channel so there will be people watching/listening. Here is the link to it if you are interested: http://youtube.com/c/RevalGovender

    Thanks guys!

    submitted by /u/RevalGovender
    [link] [comments]

    Lightweight pure CSS tooltip for the greater good

    Posted: 02 Feb 2018 09:31 AM PST

    Conditionally load javascript and css files per template used?

    Posted: 02 Feb 2018 12:16 PM PST

    Hi guys. I'm working on a wordpress site with a custom template and I've built a "page builder" interface using ACF in order to make the site easier to manage on the admin side of things. I've been developing different components for the page builder (accordions, quote blocks, video sliders, etc) and for each of those components I have a JS file and a SCSS file that styles and gives interaction to the component. My question is: Is there any best practice or any type of guide on how would it be possible to only load the JS and SCSS files of the used components on the page? Been thinking on using Webpack, but haven't really found any tutorials or examples working with this usecase. Any guidance will be appreciated! Thanks

    submitted by /u/dani_tk
    [link] [comments]

    I want to develop an ELO rating website based on user votes and need advice on what tech/framework to use

    Posted: 02 Feb 2018 12:03 PM PST

    Hey all,

    Hope this the right place for this type of question.

    I have an idea for a website where users can vote on the best thing in a given topic. The website would provide each user two options, and the user selects the better of the two. Then it would go to the next option and they vote, and so on... All in an effort to have an ELO ranking system for the topic.

    So yes, it's very much like HotOrNot.

    I know how to handle the logic of the rating system. I'm a full stack software engineer and have done some web development (ASP.NET, Angular, Web2Py) so I am somewhat knowledgeable. But what I don't know is what's the best type of technology and framework I should use for this type of site?

    I'll need back-end to track users' votes and the ranks, and a scaleable front-end so thousands of users can use this robustly.

    Should I use a JS framework like Angular or React? What about Django? Or Ruby on Rails (tho I have no experience with Ruby)?

    Any help will be much appreciated!

    submitted by /u/Answering42
    [link] [comments]

    React/Redux question: What is your opinion on putting ajax calls inside of componentWillMount?

    Posted: 02 Feb 2018 11:49 AM PST

    It seems from googling around that it is not frowned upon to put ajax calls right inside of component methods. For example, the author of this blog post puts an ajax call inside of componentDidMount. This makes the component depend on data.

    Some say that if you really want to make your component modular you can modularize a view by wrapping it in a container component that fetched the data and then passes it to the newly modular component via props...but I don't like this solution either because then you're just mixing view/logic in one place rather than another place. AJAX calls don't feel like they should be components. In my head, components are HTML views, not AJAX calls.

    Coming from an MVC background, I feel like fetch calls should be done from models rather than from inside React components. Somehow redux can listen to the model and update the state when the model is fetched, and then react will render automatically.

    Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/N_N_N_N_N_N_N
    [link] [comments]

    I wrote a blog about Web Payments and how they could be better. I would appreciate if you gave it a read and a clap!

    Posted: 02 Feb 2018 07:32 AM PST

    Responsive Menu not working on Wordpress, No defined before/after states

    Posted: 02 Feb 2018 10:24 AM PST

    Best approach to learning about containers

    Posted: 01 Feb 2018 05:03 PM PST

    I am a completely self-taught web developer; this just means I learn haphazardly by googling tutorials and documentation. Documentations often assume that the readers are familiar with underlying concepts of the technology in question.

    My question is, what concepts do I need to learn before reading Docker's documentation? I hear all these terms (containers, kubernetes) and they are overwhelming to learn without learning the basics first.

    Thank you for your guidance

    submitted by /u/humanculture
    [link] [comments]

    Recommendations for how to make streaming video nicer with no/minimal server side code?

    Posted: 02 Feb 2018 09:55 AM PST

    I'm a software developer but I'm not really up on web stuff, especially the last couple of years where it's made huge leaps. I'd appreciate a tip or two from people who know that stuff.

    I'd like to put a few videos up on a webpage, and let people stream them in the nicest simple way possible: playing on even cheap Android phones, fast starting, ability to mute and fullscreen. It looks like the video element is well-supported now and has the controls attribute, so this is already so much easier than 10 years ago. I looked it up, and it seems the best option for compatibility is H.264 with AAC audio, so that's the first format I provide. I encode it at a modest bitrate using a nice slow encoder, a decent middle-of-the-road quality, and a better-than-SD but not HD resolution. I use a consistent-quality variable-bitrate mode, but with a maximum bitrate: ffmpeg's libx264, profile main, veryslow, CRF 21, 960x544, 128k AAC, max total bitrate of 2 Mbps. I make sure to use the faststart mode, which puts the moov atom at the beginning -- not something I understand properly but which is recommended for streaming.

    I offer VP9/Opus and VP8/Vorbis as fallback options, because I figure I need to have some fallback options and I like offering/supporting open source stuff when I can (and Opus is super nice in general). I make sure there's a poster image and a description of the video for people who don't support video for whatever reason (old browser, slow connection, blindness). Subtitles aren't needed because my videos don't have speech. I offer a download button because if people want to save my clips that's fine by me.

    Is there anything else I could be doing to make this experience nicer, short of involving serverside code to do something like Netflix/YouTube style fancy-ass "detect connection speed and drop/increase quality" stuff? Are there any popular JS libraries that make video playback nicer for users, especially users on phones?

    submitted by /u/JumboJellybean
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment