• Breaking News

    Wednesday, February 7, 2018

    Brought up my dream to make video games to my fiancé and she shot me down

    Brought up my dream to make video games to my fiancé and she shot me down


    Brought up my dream to make video games to my fiancé and she shot me down

    Posted: 06 Feb 2018 06:25 PM PST

    So I've been thinking about what I want to do for a career, as of right now I'm working in a factory. Video games have been a huge part of my life and I'm always thinking of ways to improve games I'm playing and coming up with ideas and worlds in my head. That's all it's ever been were just ideas. Well I thought about maybe going to school for game design and brought it up to my fiancé who in turn said I need to be realistic. Tonight when I got home I downloaded unity and am currently downloading unreal engine. Since then I've been watching YouTube videos to get some knowledge and I've read the sidebar of this subreddit. Any tips to get a dreamer started?

    submitted by /u/McDanglesJR
    [link] [comments]

    Games revenue on Steam: 1st week vs. 1st year

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 03:28 AM PST

    Free LowPoly Ships

    Posted: 06 Feb 2018 07:13 PM PST

    Hey guys! As always, the packs are posted first on my twitter. Hope you like them and use them in any project! (If you use them send screenshots! i love to see it)


    If you want all the packs in one file or specific models for your game i've made a Patreon!, and i would love if you could support me with a dollar there, it would mean a lot! But i will always make free packs too. Here's my website if you want to check it out, all of the packs are there too.


    Previews


    Includes:

    *6 Blends.

    *6 OBJ.

    *6 FBX.

    Download


    Past Weeks:


    Modular Dungeon

    Spaceships

    Animated Zombie

    Animated Woman

    Animated Man

    Furniture vol.2

    Buildings

    Animated Animals

    Medieval Assets

    Animated Guns

    RPG Assets

    Junk Food

    Nature textured vol.3

    Public Transport

    Airplanes

    Cars

    Nature

    Holiday pack

    Pirate pack

    Animated animals

    Furniture vol.2

    Snow Nature

    Bushes

    Clouds

    Spaceships

    Suburban Pack vol 2

    PowerUps

    Food

    Potions

    Desert

    Medieval Weapons

    Guns

    Space

    Furniture

    Cars

    Nature Vol.2

    Nature Vol.1

    Houses

    Trees


    License: CC0: Public domain, completely free to use in both personal and commercial projects (no credit required but appreciated).


    If you have any questions or problems tell me! I'll gladly help as soon as i can. If you want you can follow me on Twitter. Thanks a lot!

    submitted by /u/QuaterniusDev
    [link] [comments]

    Made in China: The unseen labor behind the video game industry’s biggest titles.

    Posted: 06 Feb 2018 09:02 PM PST

    Designing a realistic top-down traffic simulator for research project, data structures and algorithms involved.

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 10:20 AM PST

    Hey everyone, first-time poster here. I am a student studying Data Science/AI and I've just been given a new semester project that involves detailed traffic simulation, such that I can apply machine learning and linear programming techniques to optimize traffic flow and determine the most efficient ways to route flow throughout the network based on realistic traffic conditions (weather, construction, accidents, bad drivers, etc).

    I know this is a game dev sub, but since I need to develop a highly dynamic top-down world with many interdependent parts, I thought this would be a great place to describe my problem and get some feedback since I am currently in the modelling phase of the project. TL:DR at bottom

    Requirements

    Vehicles on the road must be given a location of origin, a destination, and a time frame in which they need to reach their destination. Data must be collected on how quickly they reached their destination, and at what points they spent the most time idle (sitting in traffic). Additional conditions, such as scheduled construction, bad weather, rush hour, and special events (sporting events, concerts, etc) should be implemented to create a dynamic, "living" city. Utilizing any/all machine learning techniques available to the student, determine the most efficient timing for stop lights, the best time of day/month to conduct construction, how to direct traffic in times of congestion, etc. Any and all optimizations are welcome such that any given network is running optimally.

    Data Structures

    The project dictates that I simulate many hypothetical environments to determine the following:

    - The most efficient way to route traffic through already existing networks - Design the most efficient network/city that reduces traffic congestion by the greatest factor. 

    This means that I need to either:

    1) Design each level from scratch 2) Create a level editor such that I can edit a map in real time 

    I am leaning towards a level editor, that allows me to drag/drop objects and create a city from scratch. The thing is, I think I'll need to create a global graph structure such that each point where a car needs to change directions (think intersection, roundabout, turns) will be a vertex, and the straight roads between such points would be an edge. Furthermore, points of interest such as homes, supermarkets, shopping malls, offices, concert halls, markets, squares, arenas, etc will be a specific type of vertex (endpoint) with a specific weight (based on time of day, etc) such that they generate/attract more vehicles based on this dynamic weight. For example, objects in the center of the city will have a higher weight in the morning, and objects at the edge of the city will be higher in the evening, to realistically simulate rush hour.

    Objects

    So far, I have several main objects in mind:

    1) Cars - obviously of different sorts (I've got sprites with large/small bounding boxes) 2) Roads 3) Intersections 4) Houses 5) Buildings 6) Major points of interest (arenas, malls, squares, etc.) 

    These I will contain in a menu on the side of the level editor/simulator, such that I can drag/drop them wherever I please, however this leads to a few foreseeable challenges.

    Algorithms and Challenges:

    • Collision detection: if I place two straight roads together, they must represent edges such that two straight roads combine into a single edge. Vertices when placed next to a road must add that road's edge to a list of edges. Vertices with only 1 edge must be considered "endpoints" or destinations. Placing homes/offices/whatever next to a road must create a new vertex inside that road, splitting the edges and inserting the vertex in between, and building a new edge to the vertex inside that object to the side of the road.

    • Pathfinding: I plan on using A* because it's so easy to implement - F(X) = G(x) + H(X). However, I need to make sure that cars adhere strictly to the roads and cannot go "off-roading." I am not sure how this will work just yet.

    • Randomness: As cars travel, they obviously need to avoid colliding with each other, however there needs to be a small random chance of a car NOT avoiding each other, leading to a true "accident". Cars need to cast a ray to determine if a vehicle in front of it is stopped, and then roll the dice to determine if it collides or not. Cars behind the accident need to be able to slow down realistically.

    • Stoplight: I currently have multiple sprites that represent red/yellow/green lights, however cars need to determine via ray-casting if the stoplight ahead of them is red or green. Furthermore, these stoplights need to be somehow "attached" to the intersection vertex object such that dragging/dropping an intersection also takes the stoplight with it, and I'm sure there's other things I'm not thinking about right now that I'll have to take into consideration.

    Conclusion/TL:DR

    Finally, my question for you all is: has anyone built a top-down realistic driving game before? The game I think about the most with this project is Sim City, however I don't want to recreate that entire game in less than 6 months. I'm curious if anyone has any tips, thoughts on my current approach, or any ideas to make the development of this project easier? I'm in a group of 6 people, although the programming ability of each person varies so we're far from a professional team of developers that can pull this off with minimal effort.

    Any help or ideas or input is greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/WhoIsTheUnPerson
    [link] [comments]

    WIP Wednesday #84 - DragonZ and Monsters

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 09:31 AM PST

    What is WIP Wednesday?

    Share your work-in-progress (WIP) prototype, feature, art, model or work-in-progress game here and get early feedback from, and give early feedback to, other game developers.

    RULES

    • Do promote good feedback and interesting posts, and upvote those who posted it! Also, don't forget to thank the people who took some of their time to write some feedback or encouraging words for you, even if you don't agree with what they said.

    • Do state what kind of feedback you want. We realise this may be hard, but please be as specific as possible so we can help each other best.

    • Do leave feedback to at least 2 other posts. It should be common courtesy, but just for the record: If you post your work and want feedback, give feedback to other people as well.

    • Do NOT post your completed work. This is for work-in-progress only, we want to support each other in early phases (It doesn't have to be pretty!).

    • Do NOT try to promote your game to game devs here, we are not your audience. You may include links to your game's website, social media or devblog for those who are interested, but don't push it; this is not for marketing purposes.

    Remember to use #WIPWednesday on social media for additional feedback and exposure!

    Note: Using url shorteners is discouraged as it may get you caught by Reddit's spam filter.

    All Previous WIP Wednesdays

    submitted by /u/zdenko1
    [link] [comments]

    Interview: Unity Technologies on the future of Unity.

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 05:32 AM PST

    Game Dev Job Aggregator

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 08:43 AM PST

    I made a site to help people find jobs in the game industry. It scrapes company sites and aggregates jobs into one list. Someone could check the list instead of checking each company site to see if new jobs have been posted.

    https://gamedevjobs.io/

    If anyone has suggestions on companies to add let me know. If people use it then I'll keep adding them.

    submitted by /u/dotd0td0t
    [link] [comments]

    What advice would you give to someone who is going to be making their very first trailer?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 05:54 AM PST

    What general advice would you give?

    What software should they use? E.g. for screen/audio recording, video/audio editing, and logos/static images and text?

    Which format should they save it as and at what framerate and resolution?

    What are some essentials that should be in the trailer and what would just be some "plusses"?

    What worked for you and what did not?

    submitted by /u/DOOMReboot
    [link] [comments]

    Godot: Tilemaps in 3D Space

    Posted: 06 Feb 2018 11:20 PM PST

    Text rendering

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 09:50 AM PST

    Hello!

    I know this has been discussed in length previously on this subreddit, but I am curious about how to produce quality dynamic text with OpenGL and freetype (emphasis on the quality). I have seen good results with freetype, but cannot produce them on my own. The text I am able to render has visible artefacts and just doesn't look very pleasant. This image shows Futura rendered with my code and Photoshop version below.

    Any suggestions as to how I should improve text rendering or go about doing this in general?

    submitted by /u/nvsnn
    [link] [comments]

    Aura - Open Source Volumetric Lighting for Unity will be released on Monday 12th February, spread the words! ������

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 08:42 AM PST

    Royalty Free Music for your Projects

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 11:47 AM PST

    Hey Guys! Need royalty free music for that next project you're working on? Check out these royalty free tracks, once again free to use however you wish [Creative Commons License]. My last 2 posts have gotten a lot of love from you guys, so I am going to continue posting royalty free music for you guys to use. Im excited to see your finished projects! Tracks:

    https://youtu.be/_do4-4hl2VQ

    https://youtu.be/qY7QN8xRUKM

    https://youtu.be/YCxG0FSIitM

    https://youtu.be/WXJziPBgnC0

    If you like what you hear, check out more royalty free music on my channel:

    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ7Xmyu6eXpJfkEoMtRMv1w

    Previous Posts:

    https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/7uw8y9/royalty_free_music_for_your_projects/

    https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/7vgfxl/royalty_free_music_for_your_projects/

    Cheers!

    submitted by /u/CanadianHerb
    [link] [comments]

    Where do you get your trailer music from?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 11:32 AM PST

    Looking to do a short pre-alpha trailer to get hype while the game's in development. Either paid or free, any sites linked are appreciated :)

    Mainly looking for hard rock/metal/electronic

    submitted by /u/chicken_ramen_games
    [link] [comments]

    Made in China: every new video game you love

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 11:20 AM PST

    Lessons to learn from the old well implemented games: Prince of Persia and Doom3.

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 11:19 AM PST

    Resources to learn about strategy game balancing

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 11:19 AM PST

    Hi. I'm developing a strategy game, and it would like the ambient to affect things like production, military, etc ... The thing is that I've come up with some sort of a system around production but it seems a little bit incoherent. I know that if I think really strong (trying not to poop accidentally in the meanwhile XD) I can come up with a satisfactory solution, but I'm a little burned and reading may refresh some ideas.

    The question then: Do you know any resources, techniques, rules of thumb, on balancing this kind of games?

    Thanks a lot in advance, you're great. Sorry for the caveman's english

    submitted by /u/tandroide
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone have any direct experience with Hero Engine?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 10:56 AM PST

    As some of you know, I have been developing my own MMO... somewhere around 250-ish dev days in now, but I have been building my own server engine which, for the most part, has been taking the bulk of my time.

    However, the more I read about Hero Engine the more I am tempted to shift my development there. I will have lost all the dev time on my own server systems, but would gain significant development time elsewhere... since I could focus on assets, game functions, and not have to concern myself with the underlying architecture, etc.

    From what I see/read, Hero Engine provides everything for you and a live development environment; they provide the engine, the server networks, the membership services, the support, etc for 30% of profit... which, to me, seems like a pretty incredible deal.

    And, I know it's not a fly-by-night company/system because the Elder Scrolls runs on Hero, as does Star Wars.

    But, I'd like, if possible, to get some first hand perspective from people who have used (or tried to use Hero) themselves? What were some advantages? What were some pitfalls? A perspective on the engine away from the Hero Engine forums. Thanks.

    I can't say I 'would' move development... but, it could mean the difference of saving a year or two off development time. So, it has my curiosity piqued.

    submitted by /u/Lillani
    [link] [comments]

    From pen-and-paper to an animated, fully-interactive game character in five minutes

    Posted: 06 Feb 2018 02:34 PM PST

    Creating a product as an aspiring developer?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 10:33 AM PST

    Hey there /r/gamedev!

    I'm a 20 year old aspiring game developer who wants to study game development in the nearby future!

    I want to try and create a game by myself, in GameMaker studio 2 preferably, in order to gain experience mostly in level and concept design (I know GameMaker is not the best choice to learn how to code).

    I was wondering if there are any kind people around here who have some tips for a beginner like me on what things I should focus on and what kind of game can be made by 1 person (even if it takes a while). I was hoping to create a top-down RPG like the classic legend of zelda games, because it's one of my favorite genres, and I really enjoy creating cool areas for players to explore.

    I hope to be able to learn the entire process of creating a game, even if it's a small one. So I don't intend to make only level designs or only some playable areas, I actually want to create an all-round product, even though it might suck.

    Any tips for this specific genre or tips in general? Please let me know! :)

    submitted by /u/PepeIsMyMessiah
    [link] [comments]

    Graphic bugs

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 09:52 AM PST

    Sharing an Pixel Art RPG Forest Assets

    Posted: 06 Feb 2018 04:10 PM PST

    Hello,

    I'm sharing a complete "Assets Kit" for your gamedev. Its a forest environment theme pack with a top-down perspective perfect for games like Zelda or Final Fantasy from the SNES era.

    License CCBY4

    Let me know your comments.

    Some Features

    • Crisp Pixel Art
    • Fully animated Characters
    • Complete Tileset at 16x16 pixel each tile
    • Props like trees and rocks
    • Working Demo included made with Phaser
    • License to use it on your commercial projects

    Links

    submitted by /u/Ansimuz
    [link] [comments]

    Where should I show of my progress (devblogs, etc)?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 05:49 AM PST

    Hi, so i have about 70% of a game already done, there are 3 levels in the game and there's only one level left to be done. I have never shown my game to anyone except my family, few classmates and that's it. I will get this game on steam in spring. I'm planning to finish this game in the next 1-3 months. Now everything is going great except marketing. I want to start early, but there's a big change that it's already pretty late. I want to show off my progress to everyone, see what people think, communicate with them, give them fresh news about the game and see what people think about it, it's way better than doing nothing and just waiting till the last day. So I want to build a community for my game, but now I don't know where. To have your own subreddit you need to wait 30 days. I was thinking about twitter is pretty good option. But I can't think of more. I can't make trailer with in-game sounds due to single-use sfx licenses. But I can show of gifs, photos, short videos and write devblogs. So what i'm saying is, i'm ready to start building community for my game but I need directions where should i do that and promote it. Right now I have nowhere to even describe my game :D. Game is 3d made with Unreal engine 4. Thanks for your time.

    submitted by /u/TerraStudio
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment