• Breaking News

    Saturday, December 2, 2017

    Resume Advice Thread - December 02, 2017 CS Career Questions

    Resume Advice Thread - December 02, 2017 CS Career Questions


    Resume Advice Thread - December 02, 2017

    Posted: 01 Dec 2017 11:06 PM PST

    Please use this thread to ask for resume advice and critiques. You should read our Resume FAQ and implement any changes from that before you ask for more advice.

    Abide by the rules, don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted each Tuesday and Saturday at midnight PST. Previous Resume Advice Threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Daily Chat Thread - December 02, 2017

    Posted: 01 Dec 2017 11:07 PM PST

    Please use this thread to chat, have casual discussions, and ask casual questions. Moderation will be light, but don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted every day at midnight PST. Previous Daily Chat Threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    The media hypes up computer science jobs as secure, abundant, and high paying. How true is this? What is the context behind this hype?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2017 07:49 AM PST

    older programmers in the workforce...how do you keep your skills in tiptop shape?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2017 02:21 PM PST

    Do you have difficulties learning new things? What easy to use resouces do you use to keep yourself at the front of the line?

    Have you tried applying for a new job in the last few years? How did that go?

    Any advice for a 73 yearr old guy trying to make a change?

    submitted by /u/skilletegillete
    [link] [comments]

    [Discussion] What does the US tax bill mean for CS graduate enrollment?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2017 01:51 PM PST

    With the new tax bill being passed in the senate, it looks like the removal of deduction for interest on student loans will happen. What does this mean for people who want to go to grad school - specifically, in terms of the number of people who apply. I'm guessing that this is going to significantly decrease the amount of US born enrollment and lead to an increase of international students with more money. What do you guys think?

    submitted by /u/like-a-bbas
    [link] [comments]

    Game Design "BS" degree not cutting it, worth it getting second real CS degree?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2017 05:47 AM PST

    1) Is it possible to get into a decent paying career from mostly self taught experience?

    2) Is it important to have a well rounded background in math and comp sci 10 years down the road?

    3) Do companies care about your degree as long as it says B.S. on it?

    submitted by /u/chubbasnorlax
    [link] [comments]

    Those of you working at companies with microservices: How many microservices is your team specifically responsible for?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2017 03:08 PM PST

    I recently joined a company in the midst of a transition to microservices. We have a big legacy monolith that I believe the team has "over-learned" tough lessons from. Many new applications developed live on their own technically, but actually depend on many of the other microservices to function. My team specifically is responsible for 2 APIs, one backed by a sql server, one by a nosql store, 3 windows services, 2 separate single page JavaScript front ends, an angularjs app, and fixes/maintenance to our legacy monolith. I am one of 3 software engineers on my team. We are constantly shifting priorities, changing contexts and even starting greenfield work on new apps. It's been very difficult to get comfortable with any one codebase because we have so many to manage. Can anyone else relate to this experience? I've never worked at a company with microservices before, is this the norm?

    submitted by /u/bobloblaw02
    [link] [comments]

    I've heard this before, but why is Groupon now a zombie company? Also, what local unicorns are out there that are good as Groupon was at their peak?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2017 09:49 AM PST

    I've heard it at least once or twice, that Groupon is a has-been, it's stagnating, and it really seems to be the case, as they haven't done anything news-worthy lately. And I also live in the Chicago area so I would usually hear about it. So if that's the case, what other companies similar to how Groupon used to be (when they were better?)

    Here is what I am seeking for in a company:

    • Must be business-to-consumer marketing to "average Joes". Offering a product/service that is easy to understand, not very niche to the consumer
    • Have at least one large tech product/project that they're working for more specific software needs OR...
    • Just be in the research of technology that helps manage their logistics at a massive scale
    • Main headquarters in the Chicago area. I like living here and it's very affordable

    Perhaps what I'm looking for is a unicorn company based in Chicago or suburbs. Any good places to work for there?

    submitted by /u/grouponZombie
    [link] [comments]

    New grad + messed up my college career, is there any way to fix this?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2017 01:01 PM PST

    Hi, I just graduated 2 weeks ago from an average state school, but haven't found a job (which is why I'm here). I was a horrible student during my time at university-- my gpa was 2.7, did have a part time web dev job in final year (but barely did any work) and that's it. All I cared about during college was partying, socializing, going out, sex etc. I partied and had fun everyday, including right before final exams every semester. Even now having graduated 2 weeks go, all I've done is go out and catch up with friends and stuff. Now I am paying the price sadly but I am willing to change. I started applying to jobs a month ago, and while my resume is doing pretty decent, I have never gone past the initial phone screen (which sometimes is not even technical). It's December 1st now and I am devoted to spending a lot of time this month to become employable. I am wondering what the best way to improve my skills is. What frameworks should I learn to look employable, what projects should I do? Is it even possible to come back from my horrendous past? Should I spend most of my time working through CTCI because I am screwing up the phone interviews? I've been interested and applying to primarily front end positions as I am good with JS and have a decent grasp on React but I've found that the phone interviews ask the most absurd, random, "quick fire" questions, and never algorithms.And yes I currently have two jobs making decent money to get by but they're no where related to computer science (barback almost promoted to bartender + nightclub model).

    submitted by /u/hruiehgrueoghero
    [link] [comments]

    Self-Taught Web Dev seeking advise

    Posted: 02 Dec 2017 11:23 AM PST

    Im a 21 year old nerd with no job and no degree. I have been learning various parts of web development for the better part of a year. All self-taught with some help from other friends who are also learning along with me.

    I know a good amount of html/css but don't love front end. I know a really good amount of JavaScript but all my experience is in backend with node and some express. I use rethinkdb for a database, and I have implemented it in a large project using a lot of data.

    I have one fairly large project completed with a fair amount of users (a discord bot on 80k+ servers)

    1. What do you think I should work on/learn next
    2. Would I be ready to look for some entry level web dev jobs with my current experience and knowledge?
    3. I live in a small town in Indiana, will I need to move to find a job?
    4. What other advise would you have about feeling burnt out and like I'm not learning fast enough?
    5. Do employers look for projects done well in GitHub, or certifications and degrees more?

    If you want to look at my GitHub and give advice on it, let me know and I will PM you a link

    Thanks guys!

    submitted by /u/Kerdaloo
    [link] [comments]

    Big Data (Toronto) Certificate

    Posted: 02 Dec 2017 07:06 PM PST

    I'm 34 years old and looking to make career change, currently earning 40k a year without much more mobility, I can put additional hours for more money but I don't see the point without future prospects.

    I attended a Big data certificate meeting at Ryerson University and the woman running the show was really impressive. Straight up told people in the financial sector attending that their jobs were going to be replaced to 2-3 years if they didn't upgrade with sufficient computer knowledge as analytics is the future.

    She said there is a massive shortage of people in this field, suggesting salary of 100,000 starting without a degree. This sounds too good to be true, take 7 courses and earn 100k? Is there a catch?

    I really think computers are going to be more relevant and I want to earn more money. I have a family but I'd be fine with 70k or even 60k with benefits. I have NO experience with computers besides a mild passion, am I too old? I was thinking cyber security because I work in the security sector but I've heard that it has shift work and leads to burn out? There is a computer program at Seneca as well, again, any thoughts?

    submitted by /u/BlackerOps
    [link] [comments]

    Tell us about the CS job you didn't expect to get.

    Posted: 02 Dec 2017 07:57 AM PST

    I was recently contacted by a recruiter for a position that I don't really feel I'm 100% qualified for. It's a senior role, and while I'm really strong on most of their requirements, there are some hard requirements that I just don't have, but the recruiter thinks the rest of my background still warrants a phone interview with them. I'd say that I'm about 80% of the way there. This is actually the second time this has happened to me, and the first time it turned out to be one of my favorite jobs in my career. I'm interested in hearing about your experiences, however.

    • Were you recruited, and if not then what made you apply for the position?

    • Did you take the offer?

    • If so, why did you take it?

    • Did it end up being a good fit?

    • What advice can you give to other job seekers, or CS professionals about roles they think they're unqualified for?

    submitted by /u/wish_theyd_done_it
    [link] [comments]

    Is a Masters degree worth it?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2017 09:28 AM PST

    I am currently in my third year of B.E in CSE, studying in India. I am a little confused about whether doing a masters abroad is worth the tuition fees and expense. I am interested in the field of deep learning and I heard from some of my seniors that any job in the field of AI/Deep Learning requires a Masters for a well paying job.

    Does having a Masters degree put you at an advantage when you are looking for a job? do employers pay you more than someone who just has a bachelors?

    Its not like I can't afford it, its just that I don't want to waste my money on a degree if it won't make any difference.

    submitted by /u/CoolSpy2397
    [link] [comments]

    Goldman Sachs Best Tech Groups

    Posted: 02 Dec 2017 06:20 PM PST

    I was fortunate enough to get an offer from Goldman Sachs for New York City. I am in the process of preferencing a team and was wondering what are considered some of the best/interesting tech groups. Also what groups would be considered front office?

    submitted by /u/bluetik123
    [link] [comments]

    Ivory tower design team + grunts

    Posted: 02 Dec 2017 06:08 PM PST

    I was reading the book Snow Crash. At one point it describes a dystopian programming team. There's a design team that makes all the design decisions, and hands down tasks to a grunt team. The design team is constantly changing their minds, forcing the grunts to completely rewrite months of work, and the grunts are not allowed to speak with the design team in any way.

    Now I recently watched an anime in which a character casually describes a similar scenario. There's a design team that makes all the decisions, and a debugging team whose job it is to fix the design team's bugs for them so the design team can work faster and not have to worry about their own mistakes. The debugging team, again, is not allowed to communicate with the design team, since that would defeat the point of allowing the design team to work faster without worrying about their mistakes.

    I'm curious if there's any truth to this? Have you ever heard about an actual arrangement like this?

    submitted by /u/Strill
    [link] [comments]

    Need advice on the risk of reneg

    Posted: 02 Dec 2017 03:31 PM PST

    So I currently have a summer internship offer with USAA that has a deadline for Monday and am also in the G host matching process. I haven't heard back from any other companies and don't have any more pending offers. I'm worried about the risk of accepting USAA's offer then declining it later if I get a better offer. I was only given 13 days to accept USAA's offer and they said they can't extend it further.

    I go to UT Austin and their policy is that if you reneg on a company you interviewed for through career fair, that you get banned from it.

    Reneging on an offer is unacceptable and comes with severe consequences. Honor your acceptance of the job offer as a contractual agreement with the employer. You should decline the other offer. Reneging on an offer will result in being reported to the office of judicial services, and require a letter of apology to the first company and a meeting with the Director of Career Services.

    It is unacceptable to continue interviewing or making office visits after accepting an offer, or to back out on an accepted offer. Students who back out (renege) on an accepted offer will be denied all future use of the career services including coaching and on-campus recruiting services. Please do not represent yourself as being prepared to accept an offer unless you are prepared to do so. An offer is considered accepted once the student and the employer have jointly agreed to the terms of employment.

    Students must respond to every offer, whether they accept or reject it. Upon the acceptance of a job offer you agree to: Notify all other employers with whom you are a job candidate and withdraw yourself from further consideration Notify Career Services of your acceptance Report all relevant offer information (e.g. company name, salary, bonus, location, etc.) for employment reporting.

    submitted by /u/DittoMystery
    [link] [comments]

    Experienced devs how do you transition to working on projects you have no background in?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2017 03:26 PM PST

    Due to some deadline reshuffling, I was assigned to an archive file project. I know literally nothing about archive files & compression while it seems like everyone around me already knows exactly what everything does. In school, I could always reference a textbook and usually learned about something well in advance of implementing it. How do begin to contribute to something you don't have a background in?

    submitted by /u/ArkGuardian
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone here worked for EY as a Tech Consultant?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2017 05:30 PM PST

    Considering potential postgradcareer options. Would love any advice!

    submitted by /u/AL696
    [link] [comments]

    Industry update: "There’s an implosion of early-stage VC funding, and no one’s talking about it"

    Posted: 02 Dec 2017 02:05 AM PST

    https://techcrunch.com/2017/11/30/theres-an-implosion-of-early-stage-vc-funding-and-no-ones-talking-about-it/

    A few main points:

    1. Funding is moving away from early stage mobile startups due to the presence of so many established competitors. If you're learning ios dev in the hopes of making the next great app, understand that you've got an uphill battle ahead of you. Even harder due to the appallingly shitty discovery in those controlled markets.

    2. SaaS is still very big, but early-stage SaaS is a tricky sell because there are already so many established SaaS players. It's still easier to break into than mobile because discovery isn't as difficult and tech is moving so fast that new SaaS opportunities arise every day. There's also real money there for high-value players, instead of mobile where your win scenario is $.05 ad income per user or a $1 app purchase. (Or that fucking greedy and exploitative whale microtransaction shit where you'll hate yourself and will deserve to.)

    3. Established players across the board are being viewed as safer bets than they historically have been. We haven't seen many Digg style meltdowns and user shifts that were so characteristic of the 00's. In fact, Digg's the last one I can remember. If you're hoping to make the next Facebook or Match, expect to fail. Or, at best, to be acquired by an established player.

    Now, this is all about VC funding, which is a subset of all tech industry funding and movement but the tracking is relevant across the board. I'd say the biggest failure point in their analysis is that it doesn't account for the unusual ease with which small startups are able to build out their platforms without any funding at all. Used to be you would need an expensive team, but modern tech lets 1 or 2 people do a job that took 10-20 a decade ago, so that's part of the decline in early stage funding; not as many people are begging for it.

    Anyway, if you want to learn iOS dev to make the next great app, you'd better be ready to compete in a way that everyone else isn't.

    If you want to do SaaS, you'd better be ready to climb a tall tree to get any good fruit.

    If you want to support established players in those areas and in fintech, there's probably a lot of demand for you.

    And if you want to contribute to a tiny team for an equity stake in any of the above, be VERY CAREFUL. Those opportunities aren't as opportune these days as they were ten or even five years ago. And they weren't very opportune back then.

    submitted by /u/JBlitzen
    [link] [comments]

    Good startups to apply for? (sophomore in college)

    Posted: 02 Dec 2017 02:17 PM PST

    I interned at a corporate company last year and was hoping to get some startup experience this year. People tell me it'll be good to experience the work and culture as an intern rather than experience it for the first time later.

    What are your thoughts on interning at a startup after sophomore year. Also, what do they usually expect of interns, and do you guys recommend any startups?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/lalaiet
    [link] [comments]

    Theoretical questions?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2017 07:59 PM PST

    I'm preparing for an interview this week and I was looking for theoretical question practice. What I mean is that there are plenty of resources (leetcode hackerrank etc...) for algorithm and real coding questions, but my friend told me about some questions like, "Why is an abstract class useful" or "explain the difference between passing a pointer and passing a reference" that he was asked. Is there any resource that has practice for these kinds of questions? Thanks

    submitted by /u/Hue_G-Rection
    [link] [comments]

    HackNY vs traditional internship

    Posted: 02 Dec 2017 07:42 PM PST

    Do you reccomend accepting the HackNY fellowship program or an internship at a top company (ie one of the big fours)? I'm struggling to decide because I won't get the opportunity to have hackNY again, but I will always have the opportunity to work in a big four...

    submitted by /u/CoolRutgersStudent
    [link] [comments]

    Is the pay in Europe at top (American) companies the same as the pay in the US?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2017 08:49 AM PST

    For example, is the pay in Germany at the big G the same/similar as the pay in Mountain View or NYC? E.g. for entry-level/new-grads and also at the 5-year level?

    submitted by /u/eqkmp
    [link] [comments]

    Job offer from a startup without properly evaluating my skills

    Posted: 02 Dec 2017 06:44 AM PST

    I'm currently an intern at a well recognized company and recently received a very good offer from a startup. I'm really excited to be working with them but I'm concerned about the fact that they didn't ask me any technical questions during the interview. It was more like a friendly discussion. This makes me feel that they thought me to be better than I actually am. What should I make of this situation?

    submitted by /u/asyncove
    [link] [comments]

    Does being a FizzBuzz companies mean the engineers and learning opportunities are worse?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2017 11:42 AM PST

    I've been applying for new grad SWE roles and I have 2 offers right now:

    • Company 1: No name private defense contractor that uses new technologies (so NOT most defense contractors). I only had to pass FizzBuzz questions to get the job however. Market rate salary.

    • Company 2: More recognizable name (but still relatively unknown) public Silicon Valley culture-type company. I had to pass a bunch of LeetCode medium questions to get the job. Pays effectively $10-15k more than the other job. A lot more of the SWE's are new grad's proportion-wise I think

    I know this might seem like a silly question, but I can't shake the feeling that I won't learn that much at Company 1 because it was so easy to get in. What does CSCQ think?

    submitted by /u/iPhone-XXX
    [link] [comments]

    In general, how do people feel about post-baccs and software certificates? Helpful for getting into an MS without prior experience or no?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2017 07:09 PM PST

    Specifically looking at one of these, though I've seen similar programs through Tufts, UMass Amherst, Brandeis, and Northeastern, as well as several colleges in the midwest.

    I know these don't count for much on the job market, but how do they look when applying for an MS or further education? I have a Bachelors degree in something unrelated, but did take some entry level programming courses for my degree. Will one of these certificates only make me eligible for study at the university that offers it, or are they pretty much interchangeable?

    Basically I've been in retail for the past bunch of years since I graduated, am trying to make a change, and also don't have quite as much freedom to move around the country as I did when I was younger, so I'm limited to colleges in my general area. Aside from this my other options would be either community college or going the IT route (family is begging me to get A+/Net+ certified because that can get you at least $35k around here).

    submitted by /u/whiskeyjackfrost
    [link] [comments]

    Feasibility of landing a summer SWE Internship as a Physics Major

    Posted: 02 Dec 2017 06:56 PM PST

    Hi all! Sorry if this gets posted often; I searched and didn't find many posts that were too similar to my situation.

    I'm a fourth year physics/economics double major at a pretty good school (especially for physics), but will be staying a fifth year to complete both degrees. While both subjects are really cool, I've known for a while that I don't want to work directly with either for my career. In the past year or so, I've gotten really interested in programming/SWE, so I'm considering applying to some SWE internships for this summer. I've tried my hand at programming some simple things in the past: small Python programs like a calorie intake calculator, and a bunch of C++ exercises from Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++ by Bjarne Stroustrup, which have all been really fun. I love the logical thinking and problem solving that goes into writing good programs, making useful things, and the challenge; but none of the courses I've taken thus far in college have required any programming, and I don't have any "big" projects under my belt. Whatever I know, I've taught myself. (I'd be willing to switch my major this late if the university would let me, but there's a unit cap, and I'm not sure I could afford it.)

    Finals are coming up soon, but I plan to spend a lot of time over winter break studying, doing Leetcode/Hackerrank exercises, reading CTCI, and possibly working on some kind of project--and will do it all regardless--but I'm afraid it won't be enough to land any position in the summer. My main goal is to learn, but I'm not sure I'll be able to contribute enough for any company to consider taking me on, or that I'll know enough to pass any interviews (let alone get my resume through). I am slightly optimistic because I hear interns go through a lot of training anyway, but without any formal CS background or substantial experience, do I stand a chance? Is it even worthwhile to apply?

    I'd greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance. :)

    submitted by /u/moderatesolidarity
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment