• Breaking News

    Thursday, November 30, 2017

    Devember is now. A challenge for programming learners and lovers. learn programming

    Devember is now. A challenge for programming learners and lovers. learn programming


    Devember is now. A challenge for programming learners and lovers.

    Posted: 30 Nov 2017 08:42 AM PST

    What would you code in 1h a day for a month? Read the rules at https://devember.org/rules/

    I hope #devember will help some people learn programming while having fun. What do you think?


    I've created the subreddit r/joindevember . Feel free to come and post your devember devlogs!

    submitted by /u/theGiallo
    [link] [comments]

    Completed CS50. What next?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2017 02:19 AM PST

    I'll complete Harvard's 'CS50: An introduction to computer science' in a couple of days. I know C and a bit of Java here and there. In CS50 I got introduced to Python and JS. I want to learn these further and venture into ML, Data science later on. Any resources you'd suggest? Books? YT channels? MOOCs? for Python and JS. Also, is this Python-JS path correct? What else should I learn? Any misc. advice you have about this would be of great help to me! Thanks.

    submitted by /u/mr_yc
    [link] [comments]

    23, no prior experience or degree. Am I too late to the game?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2017 10:08 PM PST

    I'm gonna graduate this semester with a BS in Finance, and a co-major of business analytics. Just beginning to realize how much I dislike finance. Just began programming with "Automate the boring stuff with Python" and am about halfway through. Highly interested in machine learning and data science. Planning to use Udemy, Edx, OCW and Udacity to get up to speed. Am I too late to the game? Any feedback or advice would be highly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/altredd
    [link] [comments]

    Blogging about learning - good/bad idea?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2017 04:10 PM PST

    I want to start a programming blog to add to my portfolio. Trouble is I don't feel crazy confident in myself as a programmer so I can't blog about much apart from what I'm currently learning at University (Computer Games programming BSc). Is it a bad idea to blog about what I'm learning about? Would future employees even be interested that I've blogged about relatively beginner concepts such as OpenGL basics, or C++ fundamentals?

    Ideally I'd love to start a blog about a project from start to finish but I'm not confident I would be able to finish it and I don't have enough time with my studies going on.

    Currently my studies are focused on OpenGL, GLSL, C++, and game engine architecture. I have no experience blogging and have no idea of any kind of structure to be following. Any tips/advice about dev-blogging in general would be appreciated.

    Disclaimer: I'm quite new to reddit and don't know my around a whole lot so I'm sorry if this isn't the place for this post or it seems like a strange post all together! Thanks!

    submitted by /u/george_mcdonagh
    [link] [comments]

    Basic back end resources?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2017 10:24 PM PST

    I've been taking a programming course that teaches full stack development, and I've hit the back end, and it's something I've never really dealt with before. My course is using Python 3 at the moment. It's probably going to switch over to a framework of some kind later on. I haven't looked that far ahead. I just want some sort of something that will help me wrap my head around the new material.

    submitted by /u/Mymar
    [link] [comments]

    BTC price code?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2017 09:17 PM PST

    Hi I'm not really experienced in coding. Took AP cs and don't really know how to apply it.

    Can someone help me make a BTC price ticker that will tell me when it's at a certain price?

    I know coinbase has its own API that returns prices

    submitted by /u/nishat897
    [link] [comments]

    Math request!

    Posted: 30 Nov 2017 08:52 PM PST

    Hey everyone!

    I'm getting back into programming after graduating in computer science 10 years ago from a university.

    I forgotten a lot of things!

    What can you recommend I look up regarding the math side of things? I've decided and started to learn Swift, however I would like to improve my math.

    Can anyone recommend any good websites/courses/videos for this with regards to programming/algorithms please?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/tech64836
    [link] [comments]

    Buying a little laptop for learning code

    Posted: 30 Nov 2017 05:00 PM PST

    Since i dont want to use my main computer for this, apart from that my desktop been disorgnize as hell lol, im planing in buying a little laptop to learn code since im doing this udacity thing(already started but i kinda want my own "study" laptop), i found this lenovo ideapad 100 its just 150$ and the use one are 120 on amazon, its only has 2gb ram tho i im kinda of afraid it would blow up infront of me while im learning, do you guys know some alternatives, or some good little budget laptop(if it small to carry would be perfect), my budget is 300$, thanks in advance <3

    submitted by /u/BLACK_DRAGON22
    [link] [comments]

    good budget laptop for android development?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2017 08:34 PM PST

    what would be a good budget laptop for android development?

    I'm using my old laptop which has bad specs as in;

    ASUS K50IJ OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4500 @ 2.30GHz RAM: 4.00 GB Chip Type: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Seires Express Chipset Family

    I heard you're gonna need a decent laptop if you don't want any lagging going on using android studio so I posted this.

    Christmas is coming so I thought this would be a good chance for me to get sales and order a good laptop for this purpose online.

    Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/andro123624
    [link] [comments]

    How is this java book bundle?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2017 08:01 PM PST

    https://www.humblebundle.com/books/java-books

    Would you recommend all these books or a specific tier? Thinking of buying this because I want to learn java eventually.

    submitted by /u/lupayy
    [link] [comments]

    [Homework][Haskell] class instances with multiple types

    Posted: 30 Nov 2017 11:20 PM PST

    I am tasked to write my own comparison function using

     data Comparison = Less | Equal | Greater deriving (Show, Eq) compareInt :: Int -> Int -> Comparison compareInt x y = if x < y then Less else if x > y then Greater else Equal compareChar :: Char -> Char -> Comparison compareChar x y = if x < y then Less else if x > y then Greater else Equal 

    We then define a class Comp with

    class Comp a where (?=) :: a -> a -> Comparison 

    So we are asked to complete the instance of Comp for lists starting with

    instance Comp a => Comp [a] where ... 

    I'm confused on how to do this comparison without knowing whether it'll be an int list or a char list. We are not allowed to use the built in compare function in haskell.

    submitted by /u/squanto1357
    [link] [comments]

    C++ primer is an awesome book for learning c++ and I highly recommend it

    Posted: 30 Nov 2017 10:49 PM PST

    I mean it doesn't consider you dumb and explains looping and conditionals in just 1 chapter rather than taking separate chapters

    submitted by /u/deliberatelymistaken
    [link] [comments]

    Christmas Present for Girlfriend

    Posted: 30 Nov 2017 06:45 PM PST

    Hello! So I'm in quite a pickle with what I should do for Christmas this year, which just so happens to be my girlfriends and I one year anniversary. I don't have much money at all (~$75), which I was going to use for a nice dinner on Christmas Eve or some clothes for her. But the thing is, I want to make it special! She's great, and she honestly would love anything I get her, but I know I can do better for her because she's a great girl and I want to try the best I can.

    Soooo, I was wondering if any of you have any ideas of what I could make for her? I know some programming (mostly Java, C, Javascript) and I'm about to finish DS & algos at school this quarter soon. I was thinking maybe like a twitter bot to send her a cute tweet every morning in December leading up to Christmas? Or maybe something physical involving an arduino (friend would loan me one)?

    Any ideas are much appreciated! And I'd have a month to make this (doesn't have to be "great" or "perfect", just cute!).

    submitted by /u/ReignNFire
    [link] [comments]

    What is a Neural Network?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2017 10:18 PM PST

    What is a Neural Network in relation to Machine Learning?

    submitted by /u/beluis3d
    [link] [comments]

    Afraid to ask debugging questions in a programming club

    Posted: 30 Nov 2017 10:12 PM PST

    For context, before this year I would mostly code on my own. Since there was no one around to help me and I was definitely too scared to make a post on the internet (until now, I guess), I got into the habit of googling and figuring out how to make things work on my own.

    Now I am in college and there is this group of people on campus who make programming projects, and at first they were very overwhelming but now I gained the confidence to request a project to work on. Although it is someone else's project, for the past week I've been working on it on my own and I believe it will continue that way.

    The problem is that I'm always afraid to ask them any questions or anyone else in the group in fear that the questions could be relsolved with a simple search query on google that I was too dumb to search up, and that I come across as a big idiot. I just don't want to waste anyone's time, especially people who know a ton more than me.

    Any tips from those who have been in the same boat?

    Also not sure if this type of question belongs here.

    submitted by /u/SyntacticSemantics
    [link] [comments]

    What are the top 5 must have things in a web application developed in 2017

    Posted: 30 Nov 2017 06:23 PM PST

    Ok so I'm in need of ideas and techniques what people use and care about when they are developing an web application in 2017. Ill go first: - Directory Structure - Security - Testing - Client side error logging and storing them to server - Code reusability and modularity

    submitted by /u/albaneso
    [link] [comments]

    Is it viable/possible to build a single program diverse enough for very different protocols to be effective for their specific use while having the singular medium for easy data exchange?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2017 10:06 PM PST

    I hope this fits within the posting guidelines. Hopefully I am clear with what I am asking. If not, please ask me to clarify on anything and I will do my best.

    submitted by /u/MeityMeister
    [link] [comments]

    Freelance (front-end) web developers: How do you spend most of your (productive, creative) time? (Excluding hunting for work and dealing with clients!)

    Posted: 30 Nov 2017 02:50 AM PST

    Don't worry, this isn't another "what should I learn", "how should I learn X" or "how do I get a job" post.

    How do those of you with regular, actual, paying freelance web-dev jobs spend most of your productive, creative time?

    Or, what does your average assignment involve?

    Productive and creative means not browsing /r/programmerhumor, playing with the new version of Firefox (although I hear it's good), or going down a YouTube rabbit hole about space and Genghis Khan after starting with a simple video on JS arrays. And not about finding work, or negotiating with clients, or working out what the client actually wants.

    • HTML/CSS from scratch
    • JavaScript website interactivity ("simple" code)
    • JavaScript webapps ("complex" code)
    • Digital design (Photoshop, SVGs, …)
    • WordPress theme development
    • WordPress front-end edits
    • WordPress installation and configuration
    • Registering domain names and hosting packages i.e. getting something on the web
    • Backend architecture and development (complex APIs)
    • SEO…

    So far I've asked this on a few different forums and have a surprisingly varied response, although the most popular seems to be complex JavaScript. Some have HTML/CSS as the top, some have it as near the bottom. Also seen a discussion on WordPress vs Node.js. But I trust /r/learnprogramming over all the others.

    As reference, right now I'm deciding whether to learn the more complex parts of JavaScript and ES6 (closures are fun!...), or instead focus on WP themes/PHP and digital design, or backend (e.g. node.js). I'm sure I'm not the only one in this boat. :)

    submitted by /u/jamesdeluk
    [link] [comments]

    SASS AutoCompiling not working

    Posted: 30 Nov 2017 09:14 PM PST

    I am following a Udemy course which is walking me through SASS for the first time. I have ran into an issue though in which I am adding a script to my package.json files and its not auto compiling like it is supposed to.

    I imagine the issue arises from the fact the instructor is using an older version of Sass(instructor uses 4.5.3 of node-sass, new version is 4.7.3)

    A work around that has been posted on the class page is just basically downgrading to the older version mentioned above.

    I am curious though if it can be done in the current version as things stand? Or if that is the best option for the time being? I also am not 100% sure my syntax is right because of mac/pc shortcut differences.

    "scripts": { "scss": "node-sass sass -o css --watch" }, 

    as of now I can still compile manually using the above (minus --watch anyway, not tried with that yet), just was hoping to figure out the script to do the auto-compile. If it matters I am using Atom Editor.

    submitted by /u/Tsukiyonocm
    [link] [comments]

    Fun project: What scripting language/tools would best apply here?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2017 09:12 PM PST

    So I have a project and a blank sheet of paper. It's a little bit of a reverse-engineering project, so bear with me.

    Problem:

    My girlfriend's job has a portal that allows a first-come-first-serve free pass to get one of your shitty shifts next month traded for something better. The only thing is this page is empty except for a very specific time, 2 days before the 1st of the month. It goes like this - You log onto this portal with your user/pass, and go to 'shift trade'. At EXACTLY noon, you refresh this page to show a checkbox and a button. The box must be checked, button clicked. Literally within 3 seconds there could be 30+ who were faster than you, and you could kiss your shot goodbye.

    Solution: Now, I can think of a few ways to do this obviously. Personally, I like this super lightweight mouse macro written in Pascal to do some quick clicking. But what I'm hoping for here is the most effective solution. Could something be more reliable and speedy? I'm an API noob; would there be a way to figure out a simple PUT or something and completely bypass loading of an HTTP page? Would that be achieved via JavaScript? AJAX? Would Python be more efficient? How do I set this up to run at exactly noon? Can I leave this on a VM to run every month? Should I come back after examining the protocols used in the submit process? How would I go about reverse-engineering this web portal?

    Any insight would be much obliged.

    TLDR; Extremely fast yet reliable web script/macro to check a box and submit a web request.

    submitted by /u/exps35
    [link] [comments]

    visual programming language that can compile to run on android?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2017 08:51 PM PST

    Any recommendations for a visual programming language that can compile to run on android?

    submitted by /u/lislejoyeuse
    [link] [comments]

    [C++] operator+ function in a templated class.

    Posted: 30 Nov 2017 11:42 AM PST

    Can't seem to find the correct syntax for defining my operator+ function on line 12.

     template <typename T> class Name { private: T x, y; public: Name(T, T); Name operator+(Name<T> const &obj); void print(); }; template <typename T> Name Name<T>::operator+(Name<T> const &obj) { Name<T> temp; temp.x = x + x.obj; temp.y = y + y.obj; return temp; } 

    I get the error, "error: use of class template 'Name' requires template arguments"

    submitted by /u/Editamuni
    [link] [comments]

    Solidity cheat-sheet. Write smart contracts for Ethereum.

    Posted: 30 Nov 2017 08:23 PM PST

    MSP430 DTMF Generator Question

    Posted: 30 Nov 2017 02:24 PM PST

    Hello, I am using an MSP430 G553 and a 16 key pad to generate DTMF tones.

    Right now, port 1 is tied up with the keypad, so I have port 2 only for PWM.

    I am using Timer A1 for 1 set of tones, but I need another frequency/ period to be generated at the same time in order to have dual tones. Is there any way to do this on the same timer?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/gratethecheese
    [link] [comments]

    Basic Game in Processing

    Posted: 30 Nov 2017 04:27 PM PST

    Does anyone have a sample code for a simple game in processing, so I can use it as a model to create my own.

    submitted by /u/tempaccccapmet
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment