• Breaking News

    Saturday, February 20, 2021

    Screenshot Saturday #525 - Perfect Alignment

    Screenshot Saturday #525 - Perfect Alignment


    Screenshot Saturday #525 - Perfect Alignment

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 08:08 PM PST

    Share your progress since last time in a form of screenshots, animations and videos. Tell us all about your project and make us interested!

    The hashtag for Twitter is of course #screenshotsaturday.

    Note: Using url shorteners is discouraged as it may get you caught by Reddit's spam filter.


    Previous Screenshot Saturdays


    Bonus question: What has been the hardest part of game development for you?

    submitted by /u/Sexual_Lettuce
    [link] [comments]

    I picked the brain of a video game composer about his work. We talked about tips for devs making music without any formal training, devs using free & paid ready-made music, good collaboration beween devs and composers and just video game music in general.

    Posted: 20 Feb 2021 04:58 AM PST

    Low poly vehicles - Asset (free to use)

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 04:38 PM PST

    Where to Start as a Content Designer?

    Posted: 20 Feb 2021 05:55 AM PST

    Hello all

    I would like to have a career as a game designer, specifically a content designer.

    From what I understand content designers usually focus on the ideas for plot, character arcs, dialogue, items ect. Mostly ideas, background, context, language and world building.

    I don't have the computer or technical skills to build the digital parts of the game, and the coding / programming / science of it all does not interest me.

    However, I have professional experience creating narrative films and interactive theatre. Which has given me a very good understanding of characters and how to tell compelling stories. Combined that with my absolute love for gaming and I'm really excited to learn more about how I could fit into the game development world.

    I would like to know if anyone has advice on a trajectory that makes sense for someone who wants to specialize in content design for video games but does not have the technical skills or any experience on shipping a game.

    Anything helps! Thank you in advance

    <3

    submitted by /u/WoodrowWinstonThe3rd
    [link] [comments]

    What is tap.io and should I be concerned?

    Posted: 20 Feb 2021 11:34 AM PST

    So I recently released my game on the google play store and I came across my own game on the site tap.io, also known as taptap. I see it has a good amount of downloads there, but I'm not sure how this site works as I did not upload or verify anything myself. Is this site somehow collaborating with google play or has someone just ripped my game and uploaded it for personal gain on another site?

    submitted by /u/YaBoiiConye
    [link] [comments]

    7.5 years raylib evolution in numbers

    Posted: 20 Feb 2021 06:40 AM PST

    Here I go, dipping my toes into game Dev for the first time!

    Posted: 20 Feb 2021 09:02 AM PST

    I am in the middle of just finishing up my Bsc. in computer science with 2 more years to go and I thought I should try to solidify my plans for the future right about now. I researched various options and in the end gamedev checked most of my boxes. I am doing my own research into the industry and I thought a little bit of third person input won't hurt so here's what I am trying to understand:

    How many main branches are there in game dev? And if I want to do everything myself when making a game what all the stuff I will have to study?

    Unity or Unreal? Honestly I have lost it when it comes to these two that no amount of articles I read they all conclude with "well this is good...but this is better kinda hmmm it's up to you!"

    I own a dell inspiron 7577 so...good hardware? I don't know what an average workstation looks like for you? (I am on good budget)

    On a more general note, how is the industry? Is it heading in a 'good' direction? I wouldn't know any of that so I want to familiarise myself here!

    And lastly, how do you make games? Is it an image, word or a thought you had in the moment that drives you to make games or is the mechanism something more simple?

    All replies would be helpful and thank you!

    submitted by /u/Creepy-Photograph209
    [link] [comments]

    Been asked about my workflow for Madshot so I tried to make a very quick walkthrough.

    Posted: 20 Feb 2021 06:30 AM PST

    Is there enough demand for offline RPG games?

    Posted: 20 Feb 2021 05:55 AM PST

    Hello everyone,

    I was wondering because I was facing an issue: online games are harder to make than offline games, but is it worth the hustle to make a game multiplayer?

    Speaking for myself, I love Tactical RPG, Hack & Slash, etc... and I wouldn't imagine a small RPG game being offline. Example: Diablo, Torchlight, Dofus, Dragonica, TESO, ...

    The only offline RPG I've loved is Skyrim - but it's far from being a small and/or indie game.

    So, I was wondering, as a game dev, can I still make games that bring enough revenue without being online? Or do I need to work harder and make it multiplayer?

    submitted by /u/Jihaysse
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a few experienced game designers to guide me/help

    Posted: 20 Feb 2021 12:08 PM PST

    I am a freshman in college in my second semester. I have taken intro to C++ (im retaking it because not going to lie i had my head up my ass and cheated) now im taking intro to python, web design, and 3d design at the moment. Im sure this sub reddit gets ALOT of posts like this but ultimately my dream job is to work for rockstar or FromSoftware

    Im insanely new to all of this but I have a passion and commitment to games as a whole and would love nothing more than to have anything to do with them for my career. I have no idea where to start I know the very basics of C++ and the other classes im taking and thats about it.

    I read that most gaming companies don't even think about hiring a person unless they've made something on their own to prove their credibility.

    With that being said. Where do I even begin to start? Any help will be appreciated. Should I have more experience under my belt by now? Can anyone walk me through step by step from where I'm at now and what I should do? If anyone in this subreddit is currently making a game id love to somehow accompany you and just learn if I could!

    submitted by /u/bluenosedabyss3
    [link] [comments]

    How should I learn how to use Unity?

    Posted: 20 Feb 2021 11:55 AM PST

    I'm trying to get into C# and Unity and I've been learning through a YouTuber called Brackeys (https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCYbK_tjZ2OrIZFBvU6CCMiA) and there are two ways I can learn, Through his C# tutorials of his Unity tutorials and I've had a hard time deciding which one I should learn from first. Should I start with the C# tutorials that go in-depth into the code or the Unity tutorials where we learn the basics of Unity and C#?

    submitted by /u/BlunaiTf2
    [link] [comments]

    Might be a stupid question

    Posted: 20 Feb 2021 11:39 AM PST

    I am new to game design and I was wondering what programs are good for designing buildings, roads, and basically everything else... or if there was a way to turn a photo into a 3D model...

    submitted by /u/Macler1024
    [link] [comments]

    How can I sign me as publisher for my game project?

    Posted: 20 Feb 2021 11:16 AM PST

    I everyone,

    I currently made a small test project in Unity, released it with the build settings for windows and macOS so that my friends can test it. But Windows and macOS see the projects as a security risk because the are from an unknown publisher.

    I already asked that question in the unity forum and someone suggest me that I should use a digital signature. But I saw that a digital signature cost a lot of money per year.

    So I was really worried if it didnt give another way to sign me for my own game as publisher or make it not a safety risk anymore? I just want to share my game as a exe file. How did you release your games/software? I would be very thankful for any help!

    submitted by /u/JKAC2013
    [link] [comments]

    Any gameplay testing solution with video recording and logging?

    Posted: 20 Feb 2021 04:39 AM PST

    Hello, I'm a solo indie developer, and like any game creator, I understand that bugs, specially game-stopping bugs are a really big deal. Some code errors can be caught by automation testing, unit testing, TDD, etc. And I found it really useful to watch YouTubers and streamers playing and encounter errors. So I began thinking about some kind of automatization of the process.

    What I looking for is something like AI or bot, that will launch the game, imitate the mouse/keyboard, and catch that some features not working the way they should with video recording all the process. So as a result I get a video with timestamps where problems occurred and a detailed log (that what I can't get from YouTubers and streamers).

    Perhaps there is some ready-to-use service like this? Or it is not the best idea and real human-based testing is the best way to catch gameplay bugs?

    Thank you in advance!

    submitted by /u/TheSociopathSoftware
    [link] [comments]

    What is the state of the art for automatic/semi-automatic 2D asset creation?

    Posted: 20 Feb 2021 11:49 AM PST

    For programmers without art talent, what are some shortcuts, other than finding an artist to help or buying assets? :)

    Here's what I know about:

    Art

    • I learned that top 2D artists are taking 3D model posing and animations, exporting them, and drawing over them. This still requires a lot of work, but it's much less than starting from zero.
    • There's tools like JuiceFX that will automatically apply transformation effects on your sprites, like deformation, flash (temporary color change), fade, etc, to use for example on hit. This gives a little animation/life to your static sprites with zero effort.
    • You can give up on nice art and become pixel artist in Aseprite. Haha just trolling!
    • I discovered tools which can be used to create bad pixel art from photos, like Pixatool

    Animation

    • Bone animation is a technique to create basic rotation and translation animations easily by letting you create imaginary bones in your drawing and then moving those bones, which moves that part of the sprite. But only works properly with "side view" sprites like in platformers. There's many tools, from cheap (Spriter) to expensive (Spine).
    • Expensive cartoon tools like RealAllusion can be used to have mocap that's just you talking into a camera, create animations on a 2D character you set up with bones and base drawings. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3lkhYUZsTw

    Are there any other techniques?

    submitted by /u/rachid2001
    [link] [comments]

    A young team of video game creators NEED YOUR HELP!

    Posted: 20 Feb 2021 11:45 AM PST

    Hey guys, we are a young team of video game creators from Corsica! We need your help and your votes (and advice!)

    Discover Fuga, our third game, produced in 48 hours during the Pixel 2021 weekend, on the theme of the ancient city of Aleria! 👾

    You can vote by leaving a like 👍 under the post here: https://www.facebook.com/601725216636912/posts/2236191346523616/

    until this Sunday for the audience award 🙂

    Thank you all and we look forward to hearing from you!

    submitted by /u/Scaterna
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for 2d artists.

    Posted: 20 Feb 2021 11:42 AM PST

    Please if some one are reading this contact me on discord or here in reddit.

    discord - ETbaratao #8550

    submitted by /u/ETbaratao
    [link] [comments]

    Is there any decent MMO/persistent world server platform, or should I just write my own server?

    Posted: 20 Feb 2021 11:41 AM PST

    So disclaimer before people think I'm one of those new game devs who want to make an mmo: This is more for a side hobby project and I don't really intend to make something finished or releasable. I have worked on many games including commercial real time multiplayer games, so I can do networking fine.

    My only problem is that every time I look, I can't really find any decent platform to create a persistent game server like you'd see in an MMO. Every cloud multiplayer platform out there is designed for matchmaking type games.

    There are a few exceptions, for example I once tried SpatialOS, but it's a very early platform, not very well documented, and kind of too complex for small games.

    So yeah just wondering, is there any kind of platform or framework that helps with it? At this point I'm thinking of just starting a server from scratch.

    submitted by /u/BowsetteIsCanon
    [link] [comments]

    Game development and the rise of copycats infringements

    Posted: 20 Feb 2021 11:21 AM PST

    My name is Dmitry and I created alien ant world. A game about robots and alien worlds. I have to update my game, but right now I have to face and fight off copycats and scammers.

    My game is sold on alienantworld.net

    It's promoted on the youtube channel alienantworld.

    I have a trademark for alien ant world.

    I have a copyright for alien ant world.

    I am selling my video game on my website and still updating, but Instead of consistently updating my game I have to send letters and other legal documents to stop infringements. I have to now use my main focus on fighting off scammers instead of focusing on my game and the entire reason I develop. I develop to create amazing worlds and now I have to fight instead of doing something which I sort of liked doing which was developing my game.

    Luckily I trademarked and copyrighted my game, but it's now up to me to fight and file court proceedings against individuals.

    Game development is not just about creating a video game. It's about protecting a video game, developing a video game, and promoting a video game.

    submitted by /u/alienantworld1hype
    [link] [comments]

    2D Wall Interactions (Wall Grab, Slide, Run & Jump)!

    Posted: 20 Feb 2021 11:16 AM PST

    Any good 2D game engine which you can use C++?

    Posted: 20 Feb 2021 11:03 AM PST

    I'm aware Unreal Engine exists but there isn't any option to choose from to make your game 2d. You have to make it look 2d by changing the camera angle and stuff (I think)

    (Unless im really blind and there is an option)

    submitted by /u/Psychological_Slice8
    [link] [comments]

    How I made Hack Grid

    Posted: 20 Feb 2021 06:36 AM PST

    UE4 Tutorial: #10 fully functional and universal Shooting Range (requires point damage from any source)

    Posted: 20 Feb 2021 02:43 AM PST

    Making a local coop game where other players can only join after a long single player session is terrible game design

    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 03:58 PM PST

    There are quite a lot of local coop games which I bought and loaded up only for us to be puzzled if coop works at all or if we do something wrong.

    We usually have 20-30 minutes to play as a family and sometimes we can't even unlock the coop mode in that time. These games give zero hints when coop will start while everyone waits. It could be 5 minutes or two hours.

    Even if it's just the tutorial but let everyone do something. In most games it makes no difference if there is one character doing the tutorial or four.

    If the non gamer player is given the controller alone he feels like shit because everyone is watching him fail. If the best player does it, then the person who already has little interest in games gets even more bored.

    In 99% of the cases the story is pretty shit anyway and there is no mind blowing wow effect when the second character finally comes in play.

    I just had another terrible experience with Sword of the Necromancer in example where I ended up googling how to enable coop. It turns out that it requires to beat not only the tutorial but the first boss as well and then the second character still didn't unlock. Only after dying on purpose I was able to find a Flask on a table which enables the second character.

    This adds nothing to the story at all. A better approach would have been to make this flask drop from the first enemy in the tutorial.

    submitted by /u/groundhogpete
    [link] [comments]

    A beginner in Game Development? Would anyone like to join the beginner gamedev subreddit?

    Posted: 20 Feb 2021 06:12 AM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment