• Breaking News

    Thursday, January 28, 2021

    Watch out for fake job offers

    Watch out for fake job offers


    Watch out for fake job offers

    Posted: 27 Jan 2021 06:11 PM PST

    I just got two emails posing as invites to interview as a 2d/3D artist at big tripleA companies. They were written well enough to almost be believable if they hadn't been the same format sent at almost the same time. The offers also say to contact their HR recruiter on Telegram (which I learned is a messaging app), so that's another sign it's a scam.

    I'm just putting it out there so no one sees a big company name, gets excited, then falls for it. I'm not sure exactly how they got my email (maybe ArtStation?) but I'm sure there are /gamedev users who are also being targeted

    submitted by /u/haha_yes_haha
    [link] [comments]

    Is anyone else struggling with motivation after so long in lockdown?

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 03:52 AM PST

    I realise this won't apply to every country, but here in Northern Ireland there doesn't seem to be an end in sight because people flat out won't listen to the rules. I've been struggling with working on my FPS lately, I find it hard to go from my day job coding, to then sit in the evening about 5 feet away from my work table and do more coding. It's really starting to feel like a useless endeavour, has anyone else encountered this or found a way to get a bit more energy to work?

    submitted by /u/chills2
    [link] [comments]

    Tutorial on how to make low poly water mesh + a low poly shader in shader graph

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 04:43 AM PST

    What's the best game engine to develop a city-builder?

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 09:32 AM PST

    I want it to have mechanics like the ones in Surviving Mars and similar graphics, but I don't want to create a C++ game engine like Haemimont Games did. What do you recomend?

    submitted by /u/brignight2
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for ideas for a RPG class!

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 08:00 AM PST

    Hey, I'm making a RPG game and I just need a name for a class that is made off animals that are imbued with stone, wood, metal, etc partially or totally in their body. I already have the elemental class for those who posses the power of one of the four elements, and I can't figure out another name (nor another materials that they can be imbued with, if you have a suggestion).

    submitted by /u/Dericles
    [link] [comments]

    Substance Designer - Cartoon Metal & Wood Texture (Medieval Mug)

    Posted: 27 Jan 2021 11:04 PM PST

    Free Pixel Font - PixlBlok

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 09:52 AM PST

    I created a pixel art font(7x8) for a game that I'm currently creating and I figured I'd share it in an asset that can be used in any of your projects completely for free! Currently I've only created characters I've needed for dialog and menu options, so some characters may be missing. I'll update it as I create new characters.

    It's under the Open Font License so credit isn't mandatory, but it is welcome.

    Get it here: https://j-offerson.itch.io/pixl-blok

    submitted by /u/AllenLovellComposer
    [link] [comments]

    What's the best way to become qualified for a game dev / programming job, from scratch, in a year's time?

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 05:21 AM PST

    I am seriously considering quitting my current factory job to make a switch into a programming related, preferably game dev related, career path. I'm 18, not in school, and can live without income for about exactly a year, with up to $300 a month for non-essentials and I'm planning on using the time to build my programming skills.

    I currently make 19/hr, plus benefits, so ideally I'd want to build a resume that could qualify for similar pay.

    Right now, for things I'm actively doing and not just being wishful about, I'm taking a course I found on Udemy that covers C# in Unity. I'm learning a bit, noticing general structures of code and how to organize it, but not much in they way of understanding yet.

    I have absolutely zero clue how this field works, or much about the workforce in general as I am only 18, but any help is appreciated, I want to plan this out right before I make a big decision.

    submitted by /u/Suicidalbutohwell
    [link] [comments]

    Is anybody here using Construct?

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 01:01 AM PST

    Hi All!

    I just joined this subreddit and I was wondering if there anyone who is developing games in Construct 2 or 3? Just so I know if I can ask a question related to that engine.

    submitted by /u/Borys_Baldebaran
    [link] [comments]

    I am in the process of making a tutorial for indie devs on how to make music and sounds for free! Hope it helps!

    Posted: 27 Jan 2021 11:04 PM PST

    gaming apprenticeship companies?

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 10:52 AM PST

    hey there, graduating high school soon. im looking for a gaming apprenticeship after i graduate in london. was wondering where i could find one?

    submitted by /u/zakuroace
    [link] [comments]

    Any tips on how to learn game dev skills other than programming? (2d art, modelling, animation, music & script)

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 10:46 AM PST

    The only game dev skill I can do is write c# code and use monogame. When it comes to other game dev skills such as 2d art, modelling, animation, music and script, however, it's just the hardest thing ever to a single person learn all of them before making a game.

    My dream always was to be a game developer, but I think learning all these skills at the same time seems to be impossible. However all the other solo developers I know are capable of making every game asset by themselves, Toby Fox and Scott Cawthon, for example.

    So my question is: How do you guys learn how to do all these things? (btw sorry for my english, i'm from Brazil)

    submitted by /u/GeometryIsTheHardest
    [link] [comments]

    Suggestions for an easy way to make a minimum viable product for a card game.

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 04:43 AM PST

    And I'm happy if it is someone telling me that you can do it in an excel spreadsheer, I don't suppose excel has the capability but in theory I wouldn't mind!

    Honestly, it doesn't need to do much, just calculate, have some basic random number generation, follow a fairly simple ruleset, show the "card" as in just print a block of text. And I don't mind ditching the whole thing to move to something in the future, so no need to worry about it being good for a long term project.

    I just want to know what works and what doesn't with the principles of my game. I would make a physical card game though I think it would get math heavy quickly and more importantly I have no one to play it with because of, you know, the world right now.

    So! Looking forward to your suggestions. I am a coding noob but I am willing to learn :)

    submitted by /u/JTTNebula
    [link] [comments]

    Why singleplayer instead of co-op?

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 06:29 AM PST

    Hi, gamer/lurker here!

    I was recently going through my Steam library because I wanted to find a few games to play with friends and I realized my co-op collection was rather small. I then decided to check out the store and maybe buy a few new games and was surprised by the lack of interesting (subjective!) co-op games.

    I don't mind singleplayer games, but I really wish there was a co-op mode so I could experience these games with my friends, either local or online. It's such a shame that so many great games don't provide the option to do so.


    A few examples:

    1) The Forest eventually provided a co-op mode. I'm not sure if this was planned from the start, but imho it was a good decision overall. While the game is really cool in solo mode, it is even more fun to play with a few friends.

    2) Baldur's Gate series used to be singleplayer? I can't really remember (also didn't have internet at that time) and I only discovered that option with EE. I just love how this type of RPG provides an opportunity to explore the world and story with a group of friends. Sadly, games like Pillars or Tyranny don't have that.

    3) Oxygen Not Included and Invisible Inc. are two of my favorite Klei games. I wish they had co-op because I feel like both games would be even more fun with 2-4 players.

    4) XCOM series, Jagged Alliance vs. Divinity, Wasteland 3 - the amount of tactical turn-based (RPG) games with co-op is rather small. Roughly 80 titles on Steam, half of which are DLCs, so maybe 40 games total?


    In general, it seems almost all FPS and strategy games have classic multiplayer mode, which is mostly designed to play against each other but also allows team vs. team and co-op in a sense. Then there is tons of MMO(RPG) games that obviously are about the mulitplayer/co-op experience, but what I personally dislike about all of these classic MP games is that you are often forced into a team with strangers and/or forced to play against other players - and I just don't feel like doing so all the time.

    Overall, there are many games that have multiplayer (only), but I truly wish singleplayer games would provide at least a co-op mode where I can play with my friends and not be bothered by other people. It's one of the main reasons why I haven't touched games like Rust and other survival games because the entire experience is geared towards competitive and while this may not apply to all games, some of these communities and their behaviour are not enjoyable.

    The way I see it, local/online co-op with friends is still somewhat a niche? And devs tend to decide to either make multiplayer or singleplayer, but rarely co-op? Is it possible that certain genres are less likely to have co-op mode for some reason? Or am I just not aware of the vast amount of co-op games out there?

    I'd be interested in this sub's opinion regarding singleplayer vs. co-op, maybe figuring out if there are game development reasons (too difficult to code etc.) why many games are singleplayer or if it's just about market analysis and providing products that are considered more popular?

    submitted by /u/Xarthys
    [link] [comments]

    Inspiration for a city builder [x-post from r/gamedesign]

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 10:06 AM PST

    On your long and tortuous journey as an indie (or small team) to a successful game, what important milestones do you highlight looking back?

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 10:04 AM PST

    The gamedev industry is enormous. What milestones might a dev bear in mind so as not to get lost in this field forever. It is interesting to know not the hypotheses but the actual important milestones that lie on the way to a successful game. What does the term "successful" mean for you?

    submitted by /u/jack-boz
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to do short 1min tutorials on YouTube, Destructible Walls in Unity is my first.. what do you think of this idea for tutorials?

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 09:39 AM PST

    I got Rebecce Heineman (an OG game dev, google her) to judge my 6502 Assembly game jam... Few questions

    Posted: 27 Jan 2021 11:48 PM PST

    For those who have hosted a game jam on itch.io, how do I make people participate, especially for such a niche subject? Any tips or suggestions from those with experience? I know there are a lot of "Retro" jams but mine is LITERALLY retro, everybody HAS to use 6502 family of assembly languages. From Atari 2600 to Apple II GS. For those who know Mrs. Heineman she will definitely be a draw. Because we wanna judge the source code as well (I still haven't confirmed it with her though.)

    Thanks for your time.

    submitted by /u/PoorMansSam
    [link] [comments]

    Before and after a little bit of polish to my WIP combat system. Constructive criticism appreciated!

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 09:27 AM PST

    7 months learning GameDev by myself, and I'm stumped. Where do I go now?

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 05:20 AM PST

    Hello,

    TL;DR - Pretty comfortable with unity programming, currently got stumped dealing with more general C# terms. Aiming on creating a 3D, third-person, moment-to-moment action game, really don't want to get a degree in computer science.

    I've started learning game development back in July, with the aim of being able to actually produce a simple, 3D marketable game after a year.

    For the first two months or so I've went through many YouTube tutorials, learning the basics of C# and Unity 3D. I later moved on to learning on Udemy (which is waaaaayyyy better), doing Ben Tristem & Rick Davidson's course for beginners (the one on 3D). Once I was done with that one, I moved on to Their RPG course (GameDev.TV), and I got completely lost:

    Anything involving more "complicated" C# stuff - whether Dictionaries, Delegates, File manipulation and more, is pretty much out of reach for me. I find myself simply copying the written code letter for letter without understating it's meaning. Which is the exact thing I wanted to avoid when moving from YouTube tutorials, to the more professional Udemy ones.

    I've found an amazing YouTube channel called kudvenkat (removed the link to avoid violating any rule), which honestly explains C# concepts better than how they're explained in the RPG course, but without using them in actual game development, makes it still very hard for me to make that connection.

    My question is, what should I do now to get out of this tutorial purgatory?

    I don't learn anything by simply copying whatever's being written in GameDev.TV's scripts, but I really want to focus on C# implementation in Unity - unless leaning general computer science is a must.

    Just to be clear - I feel very comfortable pressing all of unity's buttons via scripts, but obviously that's about 60% of making an actual game. I really want to go more in depth about stuff like data implementations, camera controls, Vector usage, 3D movement, mouse movement, rigidbody physics implementations... All of these are usually treated by "mark this and that, and move on", and I feel like I'm missing a lot.

    Thanks, sorry if I was unclear.

    submitted by /u/AoutoCooper
    [link] [comments]

    Where do you get/how do you come up with YOUR game ideas?

    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 08:47 AM PST

    I am a software engineer, but I have never developed a game before. I am entering a contest to develop a microgame to win some prizes. The contest gives you an app to develop the game (based on Unity) so I don't have to worry about picking the development environment or the tools or anything. All I have to do is come up with an idea for the game and build it.

    No, I don't want your game ideas. My family will help me pick a game premise. It needs to be original to us (they will help me with the project).

    What I DO want us to know your techniques for coming up with game ideas. The ephemeral stuff. Sure, there's brainstorming. But how do you, as an individual, do it? Are you one that just sits down for 15 minutes and writes down whatever is in your head during that time? Do you do some sort of specialized research in a certain way? Do you have a dart board with possible game topics that you just throw a dart at?

    Yes, I know I could Google ways to come up with game ideas and I will. But I also want to hear from real individuals on what works for you. Those experiences don't always make it into Googled articles.

    Once I've heard from some of you, I'll think about which techniques suit me and my family the best based on personalities, temperament, attentiveness (some kids are ADHD), etc. Then we'll give them a try. My goal is for me, my wife, and my kids to come up with 3 ideas each, which we'll then narrow down to the best idea/most feasible idea given the time constraints of the contest.

    I won't get any money for this, just some cool prizes if we win. Also, I don't think any of these games are meant to become products available for sale. However, my understanding is that all of the games, winning or non-winning, will be available to play at a certain webpage for free. I don't know how they decide the winner.

    This isn't gonna be some major blockbuster. It's a microgame. Even people without any programming experience could supposedly build a game with the software provided. But I think this. contest will help me determine if I want to pursue more fame developmental a hobby, as opposed to say, building websites or productivity apps. And it gives me a bit of exposure to Unity.

    So if anyone can help, please do. But don't give me actual ideas for games - just the techniques you use to come up with those ideas.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Dtarvin
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment