• Breaking News

    Monday, January 25, 2021

    As a self learner, I feel like every waking moment spent not coding is setting me back. How do I be kinder to myself and take a more realistic approach? learn programming

    As a self learner, I feel like every waking moment spent not coding is setting me back. How do I be kinder to myself and take a more realistic approach? learn programming


    As a self learner, I feel like every waking moment spent not coding is setting me back. How do I be kinder to myself and take a more realistic approach?

    Posted: 25 Jan 2021 04:18 AM PST

    I feel like everyday I'm not coding I'm just ending up further and further behind those that studied CS or younger than me and just starting their journey.

    Sometimes I even find myself getting frustrated at loved ones for wanting to spend time with me when I feel guilty that time could be spent bettering my future.

    Any seniors or other learners dealt with this and could offer some advice?

    submitted by /u/HeyYouWhoMe3
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone want to collaborate on a project with me?

    Posted: 25 Jan 2021 07:19 PM PST

    It's not a big project and there's no money involved.

    I am just looking for others who are learning and want to work on something they can put down as a personal project.

    It's a basic data visualization project that uses Flask and a small program made in c++.

    The purpose is to take the data provided by Spotify and turn it into something a normal person can understand.

    Here Is the basic view of what it will be (yes I know there are only 4 artists)

    I have the base setup but don't know how much further I will go with this, but once it is at a point where it looks nice and has enough data to make it worthwhile while I will make it a public project but until then it is set to private. (just don't want to post something unusable)

    If you are interested just pm me and I can add you to the Github project.

    submitted by /u/bimbimsala
    [link] [comments]

    Harvard edX Professional Certificate in Data Science: Worth it or not?

    Posted: 25 Jan 2021 07:59 PM PST

    Hello! I am currently an accounting and finance undergraduate student who has been really interested in learning more on data science recently. I have been considering on taking some online courses on introductory data science knowledge but there are so many routes and resources and it has been quite overwhelming to go through all these varied opinions as a beginner. I stumbled across the Harvard edX Professional Certificate in Data Science program ( https://www.edx.org/professional-certificate/harvardx-data-science ) and I was wondering if I should pay for the professional certificate and should I commit to this resource as a beginner. I would really appreciate some insight from people who are already part of the industry.

    I guess in terms of what I am trying to get out of learning data science is that I am not particularly looking to get a job in data science specifically, but I would like to learn the subject matter in order for me to apply it into Finance/ Banking aspects and to get an understanding as to how data science actually works.

    I would truly appreciate it if any of you have any other resource recommendations, advice or are free to just chat on this matter with me.

    Thank you guys :)

    - Curious in data science

    submitted by /u/munamoves
    [link] [comments]

    I need tips on the way I got about learning.

    Posted: 25 Jan 2021 10:40 PM PST

    I'm currently on day 5 of learning this stuff and I have lost all confidence in my ability to do this. I've read through the 4th chapter of Programming Principles and practice using C++ and felt like I've grasped most of everything they were talking about but then the attempt at the drill destroyed me. I cant even read the instructions and then know where to begin with as far as code. My original plan was simply read the chapter do the drill repeat and hopefully I'll get better but considering this drill just took my head for a loop (pun intended) should I even bother with the drills because I'm too much of a novice to even think through one by myself.

    submitted by /u/Almondjoy248
    [link] [comments]

    How do I balance hobby programming in my life?

    Posted: 25 Jan 2021 04:38 PM PST

    Background: I am currently a college student in my junior year studying CS and for work I do non-technical related jobs. In my spare time I love to program and work on independent projects, but oftentimes I get lost when I am coding since the hours seem to fly by and it is almost addicting when I am trying to debug and add new features to my code. While I love doing it in my spare time it makes me neglect other things like reading and working out. Then I let go of coding sometimes for weeks at a time. I want to be able to balance both effectively while still advancing my coding abilities. It would also help if anyone can share their stories of how they built out schedules for programming.

    submitted by /u/mynameishound
    [link] [comments]

    Apps for learning programming offline

    Posted: 25 Jan 2021 07:42 PM PST

    I'm trying to learn how to program in c++ and python, but I hate reading and have a bad internet connection. Is there anything like khan academy that I can download for PC?

    submitted by /u/MeadowManiacal
    [link] [comments]

    Recommended things to learn for test-scripting?

    Posted: 25 Jan 2021 07:39 PM PST

    I just graduated recently, and I barely know shit about anything.

    I saw this opening for an entry System Analyst/QA Trainee.

    One job description says that I must be skilled in developing test scripts, system testing, and debugging.

    I have no idea where to start and what to learn for me to pass the interview. I know the fundamentals of programming stuff. I don't have the skills right now to apply it to a tool/programming language.

    I tried googling for solutions, but I can't google properly because my searches are too vague. I don't know where to start.

    Thanks for taking the time to read this.

    P.S

    English is not my native language. I apologize if I sound like a spoiled brat.

    submitted by /u/-dankOdin-
    [link] [comments]

    When is a good time to learn a new programming language?

    Posted: 25 Jan 2021 07:37 PM PST

    I've been learning python for a while and now I'm working on some project ideas I have, I feel like I'm in a good place with python, do you guys think it would be good if I start with another programming language? P.s: I have plenty of time and I won't stop coding in python if I start with a new one

    submitted by /u/potatoguy32
    [link] [comments]

    BigBluebutton doesn't work

    Posted: 25 Jan 2021 11:17 PM PST

    I don't have any experience in any programing but I checked the console on this website it says that

    jschannel_c7a06bcb5b086b0beb8f9888d2777248.js:496 Failed to execute 'postMessage' on 'DOMWindow': The target origin provided ('https://bigbluebutton.app.schoology.com') does not match the recipient window's origin ('null').

    I've seen similar posts but particularly on yt and I can't seem to fix it.

    submitted by /u/jifsyy
    [link] [comments]

    Square root google test negative test

    Posted: 25 Jan 2021 10:44 PM PST

    So I'm reading an article on the basics of google test from this website. In the first example, they demonstrate how to run the square root test. As we know when you take the square root of a negative number you get a non real answer. For their expected value, they put -1. How would a negative square root result in -1?

    submitted by /u/2kfan
    [link] [comments]

    3D Image Development from 2D Images

    Posted: 25 Jan 2021 09:54 PM PST

    I want to develop a 3D Image from Multiple 2D Images from a different angle. With the Help of Generative adversarial networks (GAN). Is this possible or are there any other ways to create a 3D image? IN PYTHON

    Thanks in Future

    submitted by /u/Maximum-Permission61
    [link] [comments]

    VS code working wierdly after new install

    Posted: 25 Jan 2021 09:45 PM PST

    I reinstalled VS code after my windows reset and now it is acting wierdly. All old extensions were installed automatically(saved a lot of time) but my autocomplete is not working correctly. I takes a lot of time to show suggestions. I change show suggestion value to 1 ms but still it takes 4-5 seconds to load suggestions and it happens for all programming languages. How can I fix this, because earlier my auto suggest time was 10 ms and it worked perfectly.

    submitted by /u/GeneralPY101
    [link] [comments]

    CS 201 question help

    Posted: 25 Jan 2021 09:42 PM PST

    I am looking to Reddit as my final resort. I have failed this homework assignment because I don't understand loops and computations. I keep turning it in and it keeps giving me a score of 10 out of 70 (10 points for trying). Please advise where I am wrong.

    The question:

    Use your text editor to create a .py file containing a Python program that simulates the zombie epidemic from 2001 through the year 2029. Each line of your program's output should show the year, the number of zombies in that year, and the number of humans remaining in that year. Separate these three values with commas on each line.

    For example, the first 4 lines that your program prints should look exactly like this:

    2001,10,535753
    2002,53584.3,482178.7
    2003,96443.74,439319.26
    2004,130731.29200000002,405031.708

    The last line that your program prints should look like this:

    2029,267363.3611636978,268399.6388363022

    Notice that there are no extra spaces in between the numbers on each line. They are separated only by commas.

    Your program should print out one line for each year from 2001 through 2029. Therefore, it should print out 29 lines... no more, no less.

    Set n_humans = 535753 and n_zombies = 10 in 2001. So in 2002,

    • n_bitten = (n_humans - n_zombies)\0.1* = 53574.3 (you don't need to round)

    My answer:

    year = int(input())

    2001

    n_humans = 535753

    n_zombies = 10

    for year in range(2001, 2029):

    n_bitten = (n_humans - n_zombies)*0.1

    print(year+1,n_zombies,n_humans)

    submitted by /u/casteela
    [link] [comments]

    I did my first data scrape and analysis project!

    Posted: 25 Jan 2021 11:44 AM PST

    Hey all, just wrapped up my first jupyter project. I having a few months of python experience under my belt and want to add this project to my resume. What are some things I can do to make it easier to read and more presentable to a potential employer? I appreciate any feedback at all.

    https://github.com/cdowhan/indiemusicfeedback

    submitted by /u/Dingerinoot
    [link] [comments]

    How to add features as well as using gotoscreen function at the same time?

    Posted: 25 Jan 2021 09:05 PM PST

    In this code, I am trying to add a title, icon, and some other features in a window but when I run the code, the window appears but the features in a window do not show up. Although all the features were working fine when I used this code

    if __name__ == "__main__": app = QApplication(sys.argv) window = MainWindow() window.show() sys.exit(app.exec_()) 

    But when I changed it to make the gotoScreen function working, it didn't work except the window appearing.

    class MainWindow(QWidget): def __init__(self): super(MainWindow, self).__init__() uic.loadUi("driveSelection.ui", self) self.setWindowTitle("Welcome Screen") self.setWindowIcon(QIcon("Picture.png")) self.backButton.clicked.connect(self.gotoScreen) def gotoScreen(self): pathselection1 = pathSelection1() widget.addWidget(pathselection1) widget.setCurrentIndex(widget.currentIndex() + 1) if __name__ == "__main__": app = QApplication(sys.argv) widget = QtWidgets.QStackedWidget() mainwindow = MainWindow() widget.addWidget(mainwindow) widget.setFixedHeight(300) widget.setFixedWidth(500) widget.show() sys.exit(app.exec_()) 
    submitted by /u/ibilalkayy
    [link] [comments]

    Gradle?

    Posted: 25 Jan 2021 08:28 PM PST

    I've been reading online but I'm still confused on what exactly gradle is and does. Can someone explain it in a simple way?

    submitted by /u/killler09689093097
    [link] [comments]

    Are global variables always taboo?

    Posted: 25 Jan 2021 08:28 PM PST

    When is it correct to use global variables? I am studying python.

    submitted by /u/d1d3r
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for help with a code for excel

    Posted: 25 Jan 2021 08:27 PM PST

    I'm trying to get an excel Spreadsheet to copy Cells in Sheet 1 A2:G2 If the Value in D2 is greater the 0

    I want it to copy these Cells into Sheet2

    Any Help would be Great

    submitted by /u/Tallcan116
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to build a football game picking website

    Posted: 25 Jan 2021 08:13 PM PST

    Hey y'all,

    I am planning on using Node and a SQL database for this project. I am trying to create a website where people can compete against their friends in picking winners of football games each week. I have a pretty good idea of how to tackle most of it, but I am absolutely stumped when it comes to league creation. For example, when someone signs up, I want them to be able to create their own league/group where they can select certain rules for the league and invite people to join. How can I execute this task? I know it's related to authentication, but I can't quite figure it out. Any help is appreciated!

    submitted by /u/ImTedsBestFriend
    [link] [comments]

    [C] - Is it possible to use a variable to point to an array, then at a later line, re-assign it such that it points to a different array?

    Posted: 25 Jan 2021 08:01 PM PST

    Good evening, I am new to C and am learning about pointers and arrays. Given two declared and assigned arrays, I would like to use a third variable to access the contents of either of those arrays, and would like the ability to switch back and forth if possible.

    For example, in the code block below I create two 3x3 arrays, K_ij and K_00. Depending on some condition, I might want to access the values in K_ij or in K_00 (below I attempt to access and print the value in K_ij[1][1], for example). So I use an if statement to determine which array "K" should point to, then try and access K[1][1].

    #include <stdio.h> int main(void) { // Define arrays int K_ij[3][3] = { {1, 2, 3}, {4, 5, 6}, {7, 8, 9} }; int K_00[3][3] = { {10, 20, 30}, {40, 50, 60}, {70, 80, 90}, }; int K[3][3]; // Test condition (assigned dynamically in actual code) bool test_condition = 1; // Assign K if (test_condition) { K = K_ij; } else { K = K_00; } int middle_value = K[1][1]; printf("The middle value is %i\n", middle_value); } 

    The reason why I do not want to directly use K_ij[1][1] or K_00[1][1] is because in my actual code there are 8 different arrays with 8 different use conditions, which I then want to access in a nested for loop, so I tend to think there must be a better way to recall my desired array within the loop, instead of re-assign each 3x3 array every single iteration--seems like I want to assign the different arrays up front, then call the correct one via a helper variable (like "K" above). I also never intend to change/copy the data in K_ij or K_00, just access them.

    Is there a way to implement what I am trying to do in C?

    Thanks!

    (edited K_ij and K_00 declarations)

    submitted by /u/griphen
    [link] [comments]

    Should I read the docs or reference other projects?

    Posted: 25 Jan 2021 07:59 PM PST

    Hello, so I have been in 'tutorial hell' for awhile and I want to start building my first small project. I am running into a dilemma, should I read the docs or reference a project.

    For example, my project is a To-Do App with authentication (MERN), my last tutorial was a small e-commerce app with authentication. (Firebase is the authentication that I want to use)

    So my dilemma is should I spend time trying to read through the docs (I am not that great) or reference the course's project to fit my project?

    Any advice on this would be appreciate it!

    submitted by /u/codebreaker21
    [link] [comments]

    Learning Math

    Posted: 25 Jan 2021 04:01 PM PST

    I'm wrapping up a CS degree at a liberal arts college and their CS major is basically a software engineering program. The biggest issue is that I have only taken Calc I and will be done with the major after this semester. I want to learn math because I believe it is extremely applicable to CS and potentially my career.

    What is a good way to do this after graduation? Should I look for a masters program, work on a second bachelors, take only the classes I feel I need? I'm not really sure how to go about this.

    submitted by /u/sharkid1878
    [link] [comments]

    Coding on an iPad

    Posted: 25 Jan 2021 12:14 PM PST

    Hello!

    I've had my iPad (6th gen) for a couple of years now and used it mostly for school, but haven't found much use for it lately. I really like how compact it is, much more than the laptop, so I'm usually keeping it around bed and sometimes read/watch on it or write some notes before sleep.

    I'd like to start using it for some light coding, like working on some apps or refactoring code, fixing bugs etc. I don't intend to make it my main device for coding, obviously, but I'd still like a smooth workflow and have it easily synced for when I get back on my laptop.

    I've generally heard that an iPad has many limitations when it comes to programming, but it also seemed like the questions were asked by people who meant to use it for serious coding, which isn't exactly my goal. I'd appreciate any hint on what tools or combination of tools I can use to make it happen! :)

    submitted by /u/Gigusx
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment