• Breaking News

    Tuesday, October 27, 2020

    70% minimum in Grade 12 Math to be eligible for Computer Programming learn programming

    70% minimum in Grade 12 Math to be eligible for Computer Programming learn programming


    70% minimum in Grade 12 Math to be eligible for Computer Programming

    Posted: 26 Oct 2020 09:32 AM PDT

    I have just learned at a college I'm applying for to take Computer Programming is that I need to achieve a 70% grade in Grade 12 Math in order to be accepted into taking the Computer Programming program. I do view Math as of the toughest academic high school subjects ever. Although I have watched Mosh Hamedani's Python and JavaScript Object Orientated course videos as well as CSS Web Development videos to get a feel for programming, I fear that I may have underestimated the true difficulty level of computer programming even though I have an interest in taking it. How essential does your math skills really have to be for computer programming?

    submitted by /u/BloodstainedAxe
    [link] [comments]

    Computer Science != Software Engineering

    Posted: 26 Oct 2020 03:35 PM PDT

    So a lot of people say that Math and Computer Science go hand in hand - Which is true, but I believe that also scares people away from learning how to write code whether or not they actually want to learn the science under the hood.

    I think programming is super interesting and fun and everyone who has an interest in it should learn more about it, and take it as far as they're willing to go!

    I think oftentimes we use the terms "Computer Science" and "Software Engineering" very loosely when that is far from the truth. Just like how my family members think that computer science is me being able to fix their home page on Google chrome because they've installed some adware.

    Also just because I have a degree in computer science doesn't mean I am a Computer Scientist. It just means I was willing to put up with the BS of going to school and meeting the expected outcomes of the U.S. education system. I believe there are very talented people in this field that are farrrr smarter than me who have earned the title of computer scientist regardless of their status of degree. I just wanted to say that up front.

    My point being:

    - Most low-level computer science is a lot of logical problem solving mixed with what can become some very messy math very quickly, for example real machine learning has a lot of calculus involved.

    - Software Engineering on the other hand you oftentimes are using the tools and higher-level computer science concepts that are built around these low-level topics. As a software engineer its good to understand the technologies and concepts that your tools are built off of though not completely necessary - but a solid grasp and understanding of these topics is often valued in top-end employers and can help you really understand what's happening under the hood, and can definitely help your debugging skills in the field.

    Back to the machine learning example: When you use a machine learning library (Such as tensorflow) to write a piece of software you're not reimplementing those machine learning algorithms, you're using a tool that's been made available with all the 'computer science' worked out already. You're just using it to create a path that leads to an ideal outcome.

    At the end of the day often times people see these low-level topics in their computer science courses because the point is not that you'll use them every day (unless that's the kind of thing that you want to do for your career or hobby than more power to you!), but it's to give you a fundamental understanding of what you're actually using and how it works under the hood.

    You can teach a monkey to read a recipe book, but that doesn't mean he'll be the next Gordan Ramsay, it just means he knows how to put the pieces together based on a given set of information - this is not a bad thing at all it just you're probably not going to be involved with writing the next Skynet.

    Just because you know how to write an application in python doesn't mean you know how python works. And oftentimes you won't need to know that information unless you're doing real low-level computer science work.

    You're given a set of tools, it's good to have a basic understanding of how those tools function when using them, even if you're not going to build the tools yourself.

    So before you start questioning yourself on "Do I need to be good at math to do computer science" or "do I need to be good at math to be a software engineer" You must ask yourself "What is my end goal? Do I want to be a computer scientist or do I want to be a Software Engineer?". There are positions that do not require hard math all day every day. If you want to write your own machine learning library? Sure that'll require a deeper understanding of the math and science involved with the way computers work - but that's simply just not the case for a lot of modern-day software engineers.

    Also for those wondering: Yes in order to get a computer science degree you gotta slave away through some math-heavy concepts in courses, but that doesn't mean it's your future or what you're going to be doing at your job with your degree. You just gotta be willing to put forth the effort to get through it, and then you can choose how you'd like to continue.

    submitted by /u/GennaroIsGod
    [link] [comments]

    Delete specific characters from a string

    Posted: 26 Oct 2020 11:42 PM PDT

    Hi I have written code to delete specific character from a string but when it comes to deleting '#' from '#####' this code returns '##' instead of an empty string. May I know what modification i should do in this code.

    #define _CRT_SECURE_NO_WARNINGS #include <stdio.h> #include <string.h> #define BUFFERSIZE 21 int main() { char buffer[BUFFERSIZE], ch; int total; fgets(buffer, BUFFERSIZE, stdin); ch = getchar(); total = strlen(buffer); for (int len = 0; buffer[len] != '\0'; len++) { if (buffer[len] == ch) { for (int j = len; j <= total; j++) { buffer[j] = buffer[j + 1]; } } } printf("%s", buffer); return 0; } 
    submitted by /u/john_khor97
    [link] [comments]

    Are the other University of Helsinki courses at mooc.fi as good as their Java Programming course?

    Posted: 26 Oct 2020 05:16 PM PDT

    I've been using the mooc.fi/en Java course to get up to speed on the language, and I've been blown away by the quality of the course. It's easily the best introduction to programming I've ever seen. Has anyone tried the other courses offered on their platform? I'm wondering if they are all as excellently designed as the Java course. I'm particularly interested in the Docker course and full stack web dev.

    submitted by /u/TomStripes
    [link] [comments]

    Teach Yourself Computer Science FAST!

    Posted: 27 Oct 2020 12:52 AM PDT

    I made a list of books covering most computer science fundamentals and hot topics in the industry with short, practical books to read quickly and in a self-paced fashion while providing a good overview of each area: https://github.com/lucavallin/computer-science-fast

    Feedback is welcome too!

    submitted by /u/LC2712
    [link] [comments]

    A question regarding applications?

    Posted: 27 Oct 2020 12:05 AM PDT

    Hi,

    This isnt necessarily a coding problem

    Can any one brief me about the difference between and .net Core and .Net Framework and whether they have the same syntax,and can they both be used to create desktop applications.

    submitted by /u/Xx_Coder_xX
    [link] [comments]

    "Connect" git hub repos on new computer

    Posted: 26 Oct 2020 11:38 PM PDT

    I was previously using a Mac provided to me by my school. I now have my own Mac and I'm trying to setup git on this new computer. I already have a Github account.

    I've done the following thus far:

    https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Getting-Started-First-Time-Git-Setup

    $ git config --global user.name "John Doe" $ git config --global user.email johndoe@example.com 

    I was never asked for my password to Github. Did I set this up correctly? Do I need to do more?

    And how do I connect the directories on my computer with the ones in my Github account? The paths have changed. Also, the repos only contain some of the files that the directories on my Mac contain. I don't want to upload every file from my local directory. Is there a name for this like "connecting" the repo?

    I apologize if this is all too base but I'm new to coding. Thanks

    submitted by /u/IamWarmduscher
    [link] [comments]

    CS degree VS Coding bootcamp?

    Posted: 26 Oct 2020 09:15 PM PDT

    So I am new to the programming world but I find it myself really interested in Web/Software development so I want to learn more. I am currently taking a Python and a Java class at community college but someone mentioned a to look into boot camps. However, I'm not sure what would be more beneficial, completing a degree in CS or attending a boot camp when it comes to securing a job. Thoughts anyone?

    submitted by /u/2crazii
    [link] [comments]

    Differences between programming languages, and why they are good for certain fields.

    Posted: 26 Oct 2020 08:30 PM PDT

    How is python? What makes it special, is there object-oriented programming? Why do people use python a lot? What about Java? I heard that it was an object-oriented programming language, why don't all people just use C++? Does Java and C# do a better job in some regards, but worse in others? What makes a program good for game development vs web development versus AI and machine learning vs other things?

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/Patch99000
    [link] [comments]

    How to go about coding a game?

    Posted: 26 Oct 2020 10:40 PM PDT

    I want to code a game for my gf as a gift. I have 0 experience using gaming libraries or frameworks. I also don't know C++ or Python, but I know Java and Javascript fairly well. I was wondering what recommendations some of you guys might have on what libraries, frameworks, etc to use to code a game? Shouldn't be anything too complicated but not something incredibly simple either.

    submitted by /u/Particular_Ambition8
    [link] [comments]

    Best method to study for an algorithms interview as a bootcamp grad?

    Posted: 26 Oct 2020 05:48 PM PDT

    I have an algorithms interview later this week and for all my algorithms interviews so far I've just been grinding LeetCode. My ceiling seems to be that I can solve most of the easy level ones, but even then I only arrive at the "brute-force solution" for most of them, not something optimal. Is there any good resources someone can suggest?

    I know no one learns this stuff overnight and I will put the real time and hours in to learn it, but if someone has any resources that are quicker just for the sake of my interview that would also be amazing. Thanks appreciate it.

    submitted by /u/liger51
    [link] [comments]

    [python][numpy]how to reshape a rgb 3-channels picture into 2d whose first 100 column is r channel and 100-200 columns is the g channel?

    Posted: 26 Oct 2020 09:31 PM PDT

    Hi,

    original image size is 100*100*3.

    tried but failed with these

    expensivet=np.reshape(t,(100,300)) 

    What is wanted is to put red green and blue next to each other. like row number holds, first 100 column is r channel and 100-200 columns is the g channel so does the third channel?

    is there a faster way to reshape it ?

    thanks a ton!!

    submitted by /u/boydbuilding
    [link] [comments]

    My progress!

    Posted: 26 Oct 2020 02:30 PM PDT

    Progress check. Python 3.8

    So, I just wanted to show my progress on Reddit since none of my irl friends know code! I am not the weorlds fastest learner but I try.

    I started like a month ago (I got on reddit 20 days ago) and my first code was this: (not including pint("Hello world")

    name = "John" print("HI", name) 

    To this:

    answer = input("determine whether a number_calculator or a bmi_calculator").lower() if answer in 'number_calculator': equation = input("x or / or + or -: ") num1 = input("Enter the first number: ") num2 = input("Enter the second number: ") if equation == 'x': print(float(num1) * float(num2)) elif equation == '/': print(float(num1) / float(num2)) elif equation == '+': print(float(num1) + float(num2)) elif equation == '-': print(float(num1) - float(num2)) else: name = input("What's your name?") weight_kg = int(input("how much do you weigh? In kilograms.")) height_m = int(input("How tall are you? In meters.")) def bmi_calculator(name1, weight, height): bmi = weight / (height ** 2) print("your bmi is ") print(bmi) if bmi < 25: print(name1 + " is not overweight") else: print(name1 + " is overweight.") bmi_calculator(name, weight_kg, height_m) 

    and this: (I got the loading bars off of stack overflow because I had no idea how to draw them :/)

    import time import sys protagonist_name = "Ponyboy 'Pony' Curtis" protagonist_age = 14 Greasers = ["Ponyboy 'Pony' Curtis", "Darrel Curtis", "Sodapop Curtis", "Two-bit Matthews", "Johnny Cade", "Dallas Winston", "Steve Randle"] print("Loading resource 1/3:") animation = ["[■□□□□□□□□□]", "[■■□□□□□□□□]", "[■■■□□□□□□□]", "[■■■■□□□□□□]", "[■■■■■□□□□□]", "[■■■■■■□□□□]", "[■■■■■■■□□□]", "[■■■■■■■■□□]", "[■■■■■■■■■□]", "[■■■■■■■■■■]"] for i in range(len(animation)): time.sleep(0.2) sys.stdout.write("\r" + animation[i % len(animation)]) sys.stdout.flush() print("") Socs = ["Robert 'Bob' Sheldon", "Cherry Valance", "Randy Adderson", "Marcia ... ", "Paul Holden", "David ... "] print("Loading resource 2/3:") animation = ["[■□□□□□□□□□]", "[■■□□□□□□□□]", "[■■■□□□□□□□]", "[■■■■□□□□□□]", "[■■■■■□□□□□]", "[■■■■■■□□□□]", "[■■■■■■■□□□]", "[■■■■■■■■□□]", "[■■■■■■■■■□]", "[■■■■■■■■■■]"] for i in range(len(animation)): time.sleep(0.2) sys.stdout.write("\r" + animation[i % len(animation)]) sys.stdout.flush() print("") problem_in_novel = "The Socs and The greasers have gang wars and when one of the greasers, Johnny Cade, " \ " kills one of the Socs in self defense, a gang/turf war breaks out." \ " Pretty much the poor vs the rich." \ " But both sides have their own problems." whole_story_round_up = "We take a walk through the life of Ponyboy Curtis and how he views things." \ " About what happened to Pony and Johnny after the horrible events take place" \ " in both of their lives." end = "Johnny dies. Dallas dies. Pony struggles in school but eventually regains his ability so learn." \ " Greasers win the war." print("Loading resource 3/3:") animation = ["[■□□□□□□□□□]", "[■■□□□□□□□□]", "[■■■□□□□□□□]", "[■■■■□□□□□□]", "[■■■■■□□□□□]", "[■■■■■■□□□□]", "[■■■■■■■□□□]", "[■■■■■■■■□□]", "[■■■■■■■■■□]", "[■■■■■■■■■■]"] for i in range(len(animation)): time.sleep(0.2) sys.stdout.write("\r" + animation[i % len(animation)]) sys.stdout.flush() print("\n") print(" ") print("resources loaded successfully") print("") print("") print("It is the Greasers vs Socs.") print("end and plot1 and the_problem are not in any order. " "They are just there to be quickly summed up.") print("") call = input("call a plot of the story! (please type exactly these!)" " socs_members or greaser_members or end or plot1 or the_problem: ").lower() # In no specific order. This is just here to ask users if they want to know what's going on. if call in 'end': print(" ") print(end) elif call == 'plot1': print(" ") print(whole_story_round_up) elif call == 'the_problem': print(" ") print(problem_in_novel) print("") if call == 'socs_members': print(" ") print(Socs) elif call == 'greaser_members': print(" ") print(Greasers) print("") time.sleep(2) finale = input("Type any key and press enter to close the script!") if finale in 'x': exit() else: raise ValueError("Woah there, you typed something extremely wrong.") print("\n") 

    What should I work on next? What area's should I improve?

    I am now learning while statements and loops.

    submitted by /u/Substantial-Ad5198
    [link] [comments]

    Generalized Eigenvector Libraries C++

    Posted: 26 Oct 2020 09:05 PM PDT

    I wanted to know if there are famous libraries out there for C++ that are well-documented and have the capabilities of finding the generalized eigenvectors of a particular matrix. A generalized eigenvector is also known as defective eigenvectors. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/GingerGengar123
    [link] [comments]

    Amazon interview question: Graph vertex ordering degree problem: finding a k-ordering

    Posted: 26 Oct 2020 06:45 PM PDT

    Given a graph G, a k-ordering is an ordering of the vertices V, such that for all i ∈ {1, . . . , n}, vi has degree at most k in the graph induced by {vi, vi+1, . . . , vn}.

    https://i.stack.imgur.com/unp0q.png

    With an ordering of a, g, c, d, e, f, b, the degree of each vertex in the subgraph induced by removing the previous vertices is 1, 1, 3, 2, 1, 1, 0. This gives a k-ordering of 3 (k is the largest degree)

    To be more clear: after removing no vertices, a has degree 1. After removing a, g has degree 1. After removing a and g, c has degree 3. After removing a, g and c, d has degree 2. And so on.

    Find an algorithm that, given a graph G (in the form of adjacency lists), and a number k, find a k-ordering if it exists.

    I had this question in an interview, I still can't figure it out. It's supposed to be run in O(v+e) time. Something to do with getting all the vertices less than k degree and then putting those first, unless one of the elements is k degree itself

    submitted by /u/beargang_xx421
    [link] [comments]

    FAILED 2 CODING EXAMS AND THANKFUL FOR IT. WIDENING MY LEARNING APPROACH

    Posted: 27 Oct 2020 12:43 AM PDT

    Hi, Im entering my 5th month of learning web dev, I fairly understand how to make React apps already but nowhere am I proficient. But Im confident enough to build websites without a backend.

    Unfortunately, I failed 2 coding exams of 2 jobs that offered free training when hired. But am thankful coz Im at least able to identify the gaps I need to fill as I move forward with my learning. Heck Im more than grateful that I was entertained even though I came from a non-CS degree despite competing against thousands of other applicants with a relevant degree.

    I plan on widening my learning approach, especially since coding exams heavily rely on DS and algos. Having only learned JS, most materials contextualize DS and algos with either Java or C++, sometimes Python. Although it's only a transfer of knowledge coz core principles are the same among all languages, I feel like Ill be able to have a better grasp if I start learning one of the three mentioned.

    Since Im planning to build a full stack app anyways as one of my projects for my portfolio, I will start learning backend. What do you think is a better route for me to learn? Should I learn Java or Python for backend, and DS and Algos? What other advice can you give? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/reddit04029
    [link] [comments]

    Do I attempt to Teach myself or take the safe route and complete a CS degree

    Posted: 27 Oct 2020 12:39 AM PDT

    So some backstory I'm a 20 year old from Australia and with the virus shutting down everything I wanted to pick up something new to learn and stumbled across programming. So far I've started my learning on freecodecamp in particular starting off with Responsive Web Design and I've been loving it. Now I'm considering a degree as I'm not too sure I'm doing the right things to be teaching myself in the first place but not sure if a degree will be worth it. If not what's the best way to go about teaching yourself.

    Any help is appreciated

    submitted by /u/xDracazx
    [link] [comments]

    How do big companies with multiple apps / services unify their products?

    Posted: 26 Oct 2020 08:38 PM PDT

    I'm working on a fintech company who has different apps for employees, sales, customers and they're made in different technologies - React Native, Ionic, Native for apps then Node.js & .Net Core on the backend. They're having problems now where teams don't really communicate with each other that different apps have different approaches to their services. My question is how do big companies like Apple, Facebook, Microsoft handle their apps that are made with different technologies? (I would have included Adobe but I used Photoshop and Illustrator and it was frustrating that those 2 programs have similiarites but there's still some disconnect that Photoshop users have trouble switching to Illustrator and vice-versa)

    submitted by /u/c0mb0rat
    [link] [comments]

    Stay At home Mom Planning to go back to work as a software developer after 5 years

    Posted: 26 Oct 2020 10:53 AM PDT

    Hi there! I am currently a full time stay at home to two kids, I have a degree in CS from 11 years ago. I had experience working as a Software Developer primarily doing Web Development using ASP.Net (WebForms). I was familiar with back-end programming using C# and also enjoyed working with SQL Server database, as in building new databases, writing queries, stored procedures etc. I also did a little of bit front end development work in my last company (HTML/CSS/Javascript) but very basic stuff.

    Then I had my kids and both my kids are special needs. Things got extremely hard at home and I couldn't manage work with taking care of my kids. At that point they needed my undivided attention so I quit my last job to take care of my family. It's been 5 years since then, and I really want to get back to it because I enjoyed building things. I am just very confused, nervous and overwhelmed by all the technologies that I am not familiar with and I don't know where to start. I haven't done any thing this past 5years in terms of learning or building a project and I feel as if I have forgotten everything and now lack self-confidence.

    I need help and guidance on how to get started. There are a lot of resources out there but i am not sure where to start initially?

    Secondly, should I forget about my .Net experience and start learning Java ( quite similar to C#) and the new Javascript frameworks..would that be helpful in landing a job or should I extend my previous experience of .Net and continue learning the new .Net MVC , .Net Core Frameworks?

    I am extremely motivated to learn, I just need to know which would be the best route for me in terms of landing a job and benefitting from my previous experience as a software developer.

    Thanks !

    submitted by /u/SAHMTOSWDev
    [link] [comments]

    Are there any helpful iPhone apps for intermediate coders?

    Posted: 26 Oct 2020 08:36 PM PDT

    Are there any apps on the App Store that are helpful in learning how to code or for learning computer science subjects in general?

    submitted by /u/kevin379721
    [link] [comments]

    Avoiding logic in java constructors

    Posted: 26 Oct 2020 08:26 PM PDT

    I've got a class I need to build that takes information from a file and performs certain computations on it. It would be passed a File object and will need to fill in several instance variables (for example, a hash). How can it be done in a way that doesn't put all of the work in the constructor?

    One idea I had is to simply pass a single instance variable into the constructor, a File object, and then calculate the required values when necessary. The issue with that though is I need a container for these values, which I will pass to a separate class later down the road.

    submitted by /u/Sitting_Elk
    [link] [comments]

    If I paste node.js code inside a directory that's already connected to a server/URL will I be able to run that code just by visiting the URL?

    Posted: 26 Oct 2020 08:24 PM PDT

    Right now I'm trying to integrate Twilio video. I have a sample node.js application from the twilio quick start guide, that I can run locally by using npm start
    and then visiting http://localhost:3000/index.html.

    However I need to migrate this app to a linux server that's ran on apache. I notice everytime I visit something like www.my-website.com/index.php it will run the code located on the server's /home/my-website/index.php.

    If I just clone the node.js code let's say on a sub-directory of my-website called my-website/nodeApp. And run the usual npm install, can I then visit www..com/nodeApp/index.html and it will run the node.js code that I had on my local computer? If not, how would I be able to integrate this node.js app with my already existing website?

    submitted by /u/Okmanl
    [link] [comments]

    Programming and UX

    Posted: 26 Oct 2020 05:53 PM PDT

    Hi,

    I've been teaching myself basic HTML, CSS and soon java, I am really enjoying the design side of things but like being able to do it all myself. I'm trying to decide what to put more effort into. Is it better to be really good at one thing or more all rounded?

    I've also been looking into programming boot camps and UX Bootcamp and am unsure if they are really a good choice as they are all really pricey...

    Any advice on bootcamps/self learning and specialising welcome :)

    submitted by /u/extrathunder
    [link] [comments]

    How much do you study a day or just review

    Posted: 26 Oct 2020 05:42 PM PDT

    How often* Do you study more or just work on projects I have thought about going through specific leet code problems to work on my dsa skills. On specific Algos and try to see what they're used and how to use them

    submitted by /u/Skevros
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment