• Breaking News

    Wednesday, May 27, 2020

    Why is C++ such a controversial language? Ask Programming

    Why is C++ such a controversial language? Ask Programming


    Why is C++ such a controversial language?

    Posted: 27 May 2020 09:19 AM PDT

    Linus Torvalds said " C++ is a horrible language. It's made more horrible by the fact that a lot of substandard programmers use it". Jonathan Blow, a game developer said "C++ is a weird mess. My new language would increase productivity 50 to 80% over it". I have also had teachers and met other coders who seem to want to avoid C++ like the plague. Why does C++ generate more controversy than other languages?

    submitted by /u/happyvoice2
    [link] [comments]

    New JavaScript programmer, any ideas for a basic program I can build?

    Posted: 27 May 2020 10:07 PM PDT

    Just been learning for less than a month now. I'm wondering if someone can give me a sort of "challenge" for me to build? I think it would be cool to get some real practice instead of just following along my online course.

    So far I know about variables, functions, loops, if then statements, different data types... Basic stuff.

    Btw, I know very little about html and CSS so please nothing that would involve a lot of that. I do plan on learning it.

    Maybe something you were assigned in your early schooling? Idk. Help me out! Thanks!

    submitted by /u/OneSquare843
    [link] [comments]

    I never see typing proficiency discussions in programming posts?

    Posted: 27 May 2020 05:34 AM PDT

    Non programmer here. Currently working on improving touch typing and thought how I never see programming discussions covering actual typing ability.

    Is it just that's it's so rudimentary to basic computer use that it's a non issue? Or, are there certain typing practices inherent to programming?

    Edit: typo

    submitted by /u/slane14
    [link] [comments]

    In need of programming help for a good cause.

    Posted: 27 May 2020 06:45 PM PDT

    Hi everyone. I'm really new here, so it's nice to meet you. I'm kind of a new programmer with little experience who has a passion for chess. I have recently been trying to make a chess platform with video chat and other functions that will allow chess academy owners to continue their lessons online. It would be free of charge and not ran for any profit. I just wanted to know if there's anyone here who's interested in helping me out. While I have a general idea of what I need to (use node, socket io, express, the chessboardjs open source library), I am definitely overwhelmed. Even if you don't want to write code, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

    Join my discord https://discord.gg/6VrdkFQ or email me at [gloyd061@gmail.com](mailto:gloyd061@gmail.com) if you're interested and wanna help me out!

    Thanks for reading!

    submitted by /u/PresentAdvertising5
    [link] [comments]

    C++ std::ref question

    Posted: 27 May 2020 07:50 PM PDT

    Hello,

    Why does the following code

    int a = 0; auto b = std::ref(a); b++; std::cout << a; 

    output 1, where as

    int a = 0; int b = std::ref(a); b++; std::cout << a; 

    gives me 0? The only difference is in auto/int, yet it makes a world of difference.

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/asksomequestionsing
    [link] [comments]

    What is your favorite programming language and why?

    Posted: 27 May 2020 04:30 PM PDT

    Need help, you might save my career.

    Posted: 27 May 2020 10:16 PM PDT

    TL;DR Can my entry of data on a web platform appear in the backend of chrome ?

    Law student here. My bar exam was a few days ago and administered online for the first time on a new platform they built due to COVID-19.

    The exam contained 20 questions and lasted 5 hours I successfully answered everything, clicked on send and started celebrating, feeling happy my 30k+ investment in Law school was gonna make me a lawyer.

    A few hours later, a student reports that some of her answers have not been saved. I access the platform and, in shock, realize that two of my answers appear blank (even though the circle is check-marked as if was answered) Two blank answers means I better nail the shit out of all my other answers to pass and avoid losing another 8 months of my life and another 6k$ retaking the whole process.

    Estimated that 20% of student also suffered that problem, and 30% did not get the chance to verify (so might) and about 50% had no problems whatsoever.

    Bar school denies any claims at the moment. Some students (practicing shamanism and being able to foresee the future) have taken photos of the screen but they cannot disclose proof being binded by a legal form we had to sign prior to exam.

    Sooooooooooo.... is there a way to see every damn word I typed that day on Google Chrome? If so how?

    Best regards

    submitted by /u/TheProsen
    [link] [comments]

    Real Time Object Detection with yolov3 in tensorflow 2.2

    Posted: 27 May 2020 08:45 PM PDT

    Hello, I would like to share with you my implementation of yolov3 object detector in tensorflow 2.2

    yolov3-keras-tf2

    Features

    • tensorflow-2.X--keras-functional-api
    • cpu-gpu support
    • Random weights and DarkNet weights support
    • csv-xml annotation parsers.
    • Anchor generator.
    • `matplotlib` visualization of all stages.
    • `tf.data` input pipeline.
    • `pandas` & `numpy` data handling.
    • `imgaug` augmentation pipeline
    • `logging` coverage.
    • All-in-1 custom trainer.
    • Stop and resume training support.
    • Fully vectorized mAP evaluation.
    • `labelpix` support.
    • Photo & video detection
    submitted by /u/emadboctor
    [link] [comments]

    Would I be able to use coding/programming to view a blocked YouTube video because of copyright?

    Posted: 27 May 2020 08:44 PM PDT

    AttributeError: ‘str’ object has no attribute ‘option_class’

    Posted: 27 May 2020 02:11 PM PDT

    Please can any one help me im a beginner and got stuck while creating a simple python mac changer

    submitted by /u/LongjumpingFall4
    [link] [comments]

    Animate from a json file

    Posted: 27 May 2020 04:00 PM PDT

    Hi, so currently I'm developing a solution using drools for the missioners and the cannibals problem.

    I manage to get the solution in the terminal but I need to make an animation simultaneously based on the steps the code goes through. We have the solution inside of a json file currently. Is there anyway I can make an animation using it? Or do you guys have another suggestion for it. (IT DOESN'T NEED TO BE A FLUID ANIMATION it can be more of a slideshow but based on the information inside the json)

    ps: sorry for the bad english

    submitted by /u/jpmaciasm
    [link] [comments]

    Does anybody know of a good source for programming language icons that are in the public domain?

    Posted: 27 May 2020 07:33 PM PDT

    I'm working on a wiki for programming languages (wikilang.org) because I think there needs to be a resource where all major languages are documented in a consistent format. I wanted to make a logo for the wiki, here is what I initially came up with, but I know only some of these logos are in the public domain. I don't want to be sued to oblivion by companies like oracle in the unlikely scenario that my wiki gains significant traction, so I decided that I could maybe use simplified icons, similar to the ones in vscode. Is there a good resource for this?

    submitted by /u/Mashpoe
    [link] [comments]

    Programmers, preferably Canadian, I need some advice.

    Posted: 27 May 2020 03:41 PM PDT

    Hi there, I'm looking to go back to college this fall. I tried to keep this short but I still ended up with a few paragraphs - sorry in advance and thank you for reading this.

    I work for my provincial government, in a job I hate and now that my debts are paid off it's time for me to move on and actually try to find a career I'm suited to. I did attend university in the past but the structure wasn't for me (hence trying college this time) not to mention I was also only 18 years old and had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. When I was in university I did dabble in some website coding (just HTML 4, nothing special or even that good) but I enjoyed the methodical nature of sitting down and writing code, testing it, writing it again because I messed up...rinse repeat. I once spent 10 hours (I know, rookie numbers but I was proud) just trying to make a crappy little website for class and I loved every second of it.

    As an aside, in an attempt to help myself reach a decision I've also been watching tutorials on Python and plan to move on to C++ once I feel like I've got a decent grasp on it - so far I enjoy working with it but from what I gather python is supposed to be very user friendly. So when I was considering what to go back to school for, Programming and Analysis seemed like it might be interesting and I might actually enjoy it.

    My dilemma is that I am giving up good pay to try and pursue something completely new. My boyfriend (who is a military computer systems technician) thinks that I should take a Computer Systems Technician program and just keep learning programming on the side, since we have no idea what the job market is like for Programmers in Canada. We're both confident that I could get a job anywhere with a good head on my shoulders, decent networking skills and the Computer Systems Tech diploma. But...we have no idea about the programming job market.

    I go where he goes and while there's certainly a possibility of him being posted somewhere abroad for the foreseeable future he's going to be posted within Canada - most likely Ontario though he has told me he might be able to request Edmonton, Alberta at some point. So I'm putting my feelers out there - Canadian Programmers...are you working in Canada? What kind of work are you doing? Are there any jobs? If you have a formal programming diploma are you still able to get standard IT jobs with it if all else fails? As someone in your field, after hearing my situation and what little I know about programming, would you advise me to go into programming?

    Thank you again anyone who took the time to read this. Just trying to gather as much info as I can before I make this decision.

    submitted by /u/OrthodoxLily
    [link] [comments]

    Interfacing R or Python with C#?

    Posted: 27 May 2020 06:34 PM PDT

    In your opinion, what is the best way to go about this?

    I know I can pass inputs as startup args + redirect standard output, but lets say I have ~300 or so rows of tabular data to pass to the script? Would that give me trouble?

    Could I avoid writing that to disk if I if there was a scenario where I had to do it 40-50 times a minute? I know if ironpyton, but AFIK you are limited with packages/no acaconda.

    Can R.NET do this? R probably even be ideal for my use case

    submitted by /u/Nthorder
    [link] [comments]

    Are there any C++ GUI alternatives for TUI that replicates the monospace grid system?

    Posted: 27 May 2020 02:25 PM PDT

    Hi, I'm trying to create a program with a GUI similar to a TUI, where it's all just monospace text (at least I assume it is) in a grid. I do not know of any such functionality in pre-existing C++ GUI libraries (I might just be searching the wrong terms though), so are there any libraries for emulating this in a GUI, or functionality in a library like GTK+, etc?

    submitted by /u/chrismg12
    [link] [comments]

    What should I learn during the quarantine?

    Posted: 27 May 2020 05:16 PM PDT

    I graduate in 1 year so Im looking to use the free time to improve my skills and portfolio

    My background is mainly using MERN stack for web dev, python for ML and data engineering, embedded systems with Arduino and general knowledge in Java. Plus some minor experience in Matlab & C/++.

    So far I finished 2 personal projects but they are both react websites so Im not learning anything new.

    IMDB Top 250 Planner

    Is This The Onion?

    So what should I takle next to improve my skillset, and be more competitive when it's time to graduate?

    submitted by /u/ABadassUsername
    [link] [comments]

    Java regex simplification help

    Posted: 27 May 2020 01:16 PM PDT

    So I am working on a fraction class for school and am using a regex pattern and matcher for user input. I found this online so i'll admit im not exactly sure what does what, but the following pattern finds each digit, middle operation, and allows spaces and tabs between all characters of the user's input(a fraction expression).

    String fractionPattern = "\\s*\\t*\\\\*t*(-?\\d+)\\s*\\t*\\\\*t*\\/\\s*\\t*\\\\*t*(-?\\d+)\\s*\\t*\\\\*t*([-+*/])\\s*\\t*\\\\*t(\\d+)\\s*\\t*\\\\*t*\\/\\s*\\t*\\\\*t*(-?\\d+)\\s*\\t*\\\\*t*"; 

    I've tried researching java regex metacharacters and symbol meanings, but I am sort of struggling. Can someone offer me an explanation on each character? Or possibly a simpler way of accomplishing the same thing.

    submitted by /u/hansonsa1
    [link] [comments]

    Is freelance real ?

    Posted: 27 May 2020 01:00 PM PDT

    It seems that everyone on the Internet it's teaching how to do stuff but nobody seems to be doing it, should I pursue freelancing ? , my personality and my goals align with working by myself but poverty and low bidding on websites like upwork do not. It seems to me that this industry it's struggling against everyone else outside of the us, so to reiterate my question is freelancing worth perusing?

    submitted by /u/cskillzs
    [link] [comments]

    Max Flow with Dynamic Programming

    Posted: 27 May 2020 03:59 PM PDT

    Hey everyone,

    I've recently started practising some graph theory problems, and I wanted to know if there is a method which would allow us to approach the Max Flow problem through dynamic programming. I cannot seem to find any resources where they outline a similar approach, and in most places, they seem to utilise either Linear Programming or algorithms, such as the Ford–Fulkerson algorithm. I would be extremely grateful for any suggestions about books/videos where they consider it, or for any ideas that would help me to derive the method by myself. Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/BackgroundType2
    [link] [comments]

    Which programming language would make the most sense for redoing this small project? (Floating text overlay as pseudo-subtitles for a game)

    Posted: 27 May 2020 03:51 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    So for some context, I finally decided to hunker down and start playing a game (entirely in Japanese) that I've wanted to play for a while now. Since I only understand ~80% of it and don't want to play with a dictionary open, I thought I'd use a translation I found online.

    Unfortunately, there was never an English patch, and one reason I held off playing it until now was that playing it with a text document open sounded like a chore.

    So, I made a working prototype in Java for a way to play with "subtitles" overlaid over the game itself.

    (What it currently looks like: https://i.imgur.com/HGU4Ojz.png )

    Right now, it can:

    • Manually advance (or go back) through individual lines
    • Fade the subs out after being on the screen for a bit
    • Hide or show the subs (manual toggle)

    What you don't see is the absolute abomination I quickly patched together with JavaFX with everything stuffed in the main class (though it has a nested class). I haven't done any Java in a long while and I only spent a few hours on it with no proper planning. This is some seriously stinky code.

    Biggest issue:

    • Window focus for picking up key/mouse events: I currently map the mouse wheel to a controller (via Steam) to buttons to advance/reverse through lines. Since the window needs to be in focus for it to respond to inputs (and with issues with the emulator if it isn't in focus), I found that the mouse wheel is the ONLY thing that works as a workaround. This lets me have an invisible cursor always hovering over the window (while the emulator is in focus) which lets me both control the game and use the mapped buttons to manipulate the subtitle window.
      • I also don't want to even think about attempting some sort of code injection into the emulator window to get it all in one place.

    Ideally, I don't know if I'd want to continue polishing this up in Java. Would Javascript make sense for a project like this? I know that this isn't web related at all, but I feel like a lot of the concepts are also ones that might have analogies in web dev. (And I have nothing against learning something new.)

    I'm more experienced in Python , so I was thinking about trying out Tkinter. But I have no idea if it would be suited for something like this.

    Any thoughts or suggestions? Am I crazy? Anything at all would be super appreciated. I tried to be concise, but sorry for being a bit long-winded.

    submitted by /u/DenseTaro
    [link] [comments]

    How to integrate my app's UI into Windows wallpaper? (Just like Wallpaper Engine)

    Posted: 27 May 2020 05:17 AM PDT

    Hi,
    I am an IT student currently coding in C# and learning .NET applications. I want to start a project similiar to Wallpaper Engine, a program that displays it's UI in place of Windows wallpaper. How can I do this and what should I learn to be able to do this?

    submitted by /u/Quahlo381
    [link] [comments]

    C, C++, embedded job interview questions

    Posted: 27 May 2020 08:33 AM PDT

    Hi,

    One year ago I began my journey in being paid programmer. To this day I've taken part in only 2 job interviews, both of them for the internship program. Tomorrow I will be having my 3rd one. I applied for the job (mid level) connected with modern c++ (11 and beyond).

    What, in your opinion, is worth to recall before this event? I think what confuses me most is that embedded part. I honestly don't have an idea what questions need to be answered regarding this particular topic.

    I have already made my research. The Internet is full of basic questions and weird riddles filled with unmaintainable dreadful code. Is this really a thing during job interviews?

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/Ganofir
    [link] [comments]

    Jack of all trades, Master of none. Would it work for a programmer?

    Posted: 27 May 2020 10:18 AM PDT

    This is my story and I really want to know whether it's good to know a lot of things or I should've stuck to one only.

    I started learning to code 4 years back on the very first class of my college. I learnt basic C++ as it was an introductory course. Then, came the vacations, so I took a Data Structures course and started doing competitive programming. I was enjoying all of this, but then one of my friends build a really cool website for sharing notes in the college campus and I thought to myself I also have some ideas of my own, so I started learning web development. I learned HTML, CSS, Javascript and as I was planning to begin my web developer journey, I saw my whole college rushing and running towards the conference hall, so I also went in to see if we are getting free pizzas. There I saw Andrew Ng with a mic in his hand who was creating all the buzz. Sadly I sat hoping for a pizza at the end but that 50 minutes blew me completely. I literally had no idea about the power of machine learning and those neural nets of Andrew trapped me completely.

    I left everything, completed his courses and started building and training my models. I was loving all of this and on top, it was also bringing some amounts of money from the hackathons and competitions. That year, bitcoins prices shot really up and the curious me got into blockchain and even went to China for internship in a blockchain company. Then came the college job placements and I got the job as a Software Developer in a really big firm.

    Since the joining got delayed due to the current lockdown, I had nothing to do, so I decided to complete some of the previous projects that I left in the middle because of some other project. As I began looking through them, nostalgia started hitting me, I remembered those times of learning it the first time and all the fun that I had through that journey but then I felt really awful. I started feeling that I've missed a lot of things in a particular domain just because I wanted to do something new. I stopped doing competitive coding for the web, web for Machine learning, machine learning for blockchain and whatnot. I look at my friends and some of them are ranked among the top competitive coders, some are full stack developers and now I'm feeling that I should've had stuck to one thing and be really good at it, instead of doing all of the things.

    I sure as hell know about all of those things but I'm not an expert in any of it and now I think I've made a fool out of myself and my college years. What should I do? Should I start focusing on one thing from now on or is it too late?

    submitted by /u/drivecrux
    [link] [comments]

    Is the sentence "You can do the same thing with all programming languages" 100% right?

    Posted: 27 May 2020 01:14 PM PDT

    Basically the title. I hear this a lot and I always wandered, can you really do the same program in all programming languages? I'm only talking about languages not frameworks.

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/BernardoPiedade
    [link] [comments]

    Programming drug distribution

    Posted: 27 May 2020 12:44 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    Dunno if this is the right place to ask this, but I'd really like some advice on a new project I've taken on. I'm trying to model/2D animate how drugs travel through the blood to the site of an infection and I'm having really big problems getting started. I don't know what language is most suitable since I've never did any visual coding. I haven't been able to find anything suitable as an example on the internet too.

    Anyone with any suggestions? Would be much appreciated!

    submitted by /u/Hrkrom
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment