• Breaking News

    Sunday, May 10, 2020

    The Wholesome side of gamedev and community management!

    The Wholesome side of gamedev and community management!


    The Wholesome side of gamedev and community management!

    Posted: 10 May 2020 01:34 AM PDT

    Found some time to create a new shader tutorial. This time it’s the Hammer of Dawn. Link in the comments.

    Posted: 10 May 2020 09:52 AM PDT

    Godot Engine - Godot 4.0 will get a new, modernized lightmapper

    Posted: 09 May 2020 11:16 PM PDT

    Working on my first game, Any recommendations? Anything you like, anything you don't like?

    Posted: 10 May 2020 08:34 AM PDT

    Noise scrolling along curve tangents (math details in comments)

    Posted: 10 May 2020 03:39 AM PDT

    Pretty personal, but tackling the emotional demons behind my procrastination with the help of CBT has helped me get back to work today.

    Posted: 10 May 2020 03:46 AM PDT

    Does anyone else like implementing mechanics more than the game itself?

    Posted: 09 May 2020 05:22 PM PDT

    A lot of my experience with game development comes from implementing the mechanics for a game. Stuff I have worked on is procedural terrain generation, procedural meshes (as seen in Minecraft), Pathfinding algorithms and other AI things, tilemaps, dialgoue systems, inventory systems, etc. However, when it comes to actually making a game with those things, then I stop having fun with what I am creating. Is anyone else in the same boat, where they like making the mechanics for a game more than the game itself?

    submitted by /u/AncientDaedala
    [link] [comments]

    My game called Pandemic just got added to Betverse!

    Posted: 10 May 2020 11:16 AM PDT

    My first ever mini game and it got published on Betverse! Im just grateful. This simple game took me months to create while learning the, sometimes not so intuitive but still great nonetheless, Construct platform. Admittedly I made about every mistake a beginning developer can make. In the end I removed about 60-70% of the story and gameplay just to keep it simple and still not really happy about the end result. If you feel something can be changed or have advice which is obvious to you but what I have missed let it know below and Ill try to change it in the next update.

    This is the game https://www.betverse.io/game-details/pandemic/1000176

    https://reddit.com/link/gh6g87/video/97rupwe9bzx41/player

    If you are curious on how to submit your game to Betverse as well check out https://www.betverse.io/developers

    Some advice, by more seasoned developers, which Id like to pass on:

    • Get the community involved: to identify bugs, for advice about experience, music etc (Should have done this sooner)
    • Make clear instructions about the code before submitting (Sorry)
    • Graphically upgrade the titles to include particle effects, screen shakes, parallax scrolling and other technques used by developers these days to make games be visually at par with others (Learning curve I guess)
    • People today like object oriented, hyper casual style gaming that has bit of a wow factor. (My memory kind of game doesnt fit this subscription unfortuneatly)
    • Right now the most popular games are pretty simple and don't last too long.
    • Make the game so that the level screens don't appear, some BV games have such already and it really cuts the action, which is not good for challenge mode. (Thanks!)
    • Do the story/instructions make sense to others as well
    • Make a good score summary
    • Music sites:

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/AidenTwist
    [link] [comments]

    Here's a downloadable demo project for the map generator I posted about yesterday

    Posted: 10 May 2020 08:21 AM PDT

    Let's visit a Procedurally Generated Planet!

    Posted: 10 May 2020 10:32 AM PDT

    A collection of essential Unity/C# stuff

    Posted: 09 May 2020 04:02 PM PDT

    Graphics for an Indie title

    Posted: 10 May 2020 11:38 AM PDT

    Graphics for an Indie title

    Hello r/gamedev , I am copy pasting the block below from discord. Figured I would post here for more input. As of now, I think this project will most likely be a 2 person developer team.

    <copypaste> I am thinking of making an first person game in Unreal down the line, I was considering making it have old early 2000's graphics similar to AVP2. My logic here is that if I do this I will be able to have a larger scope and more in depth mechanics. Is this a true trade ?

    Or am I just deluded and graphics don't play that big of a role in performance when numerous entities and moving parts are in a world? </copypaste>

    Thank you for reading.

    Type of graphics I am talking about by the way:

    Aliens Versus Predator 2: Primal Hunt , image pulled from https://www.igdb.com/games/aliens-vs-predator-2-primal-hunt/presskit

    submitted by /u/Aethelwulf96
    [link] [comments]

    Offering free Turkish Localisation for your game!

    Posted: 10 May 2020 08:13 AM PDT

    Hi, my name is Gökhan. I'm an English Translation and Interpreting student who's about to graduate in a few months. I love games and I would love to make one but for now I want to focus on improving myself as a translator.

    So what I'm offering is that I will translate your game to Turkish for no cost other than a credit :) This may sound like a scam but if you're interested I will provide you my social media accounts and whatever you want proof of.

    Why do you need your game to be translated into Turkish?

    Turkey has a huge player base on every platform. If you're making a game for Android, then you're in luck because the player base is huge but people often don't play the games or give it low reviews unless it's Turkish.

    Keep in mind that I know how game engines and games work but I don't know how YOUR game works. I've never done this before, that's why I'm doing this free, so that I gain experience. Hit me up on DMs and we'll talk details!

    submitted by /u/shadownn02
    [link] [comments]

    Any help about Publishing for Xbox

    Posted: 10 May 2020 09:12 AM PDT

    Hi guys
    I'm making an indie game and I want to publish it on Xbox one store , I applied on ID@Xbox program , but I need some informations about the process.
    Can you help me about that ? do I need an xbox one to publish a game , how much do I pay and is it easy to publish a game with them
    Thank you

    submitted by /u/yaman055
    [link] [comments]

    How do i make my game full screen automatically?

    Posted: 10 May 2020 08:58 AM PDT

    Work in progress

    Posted: 10 May 2020 08:54 AM PDT

    Hey R/gamedev I am trying to work on a video game with a new friend but I am unsure on how I am going to make it because I do not understand how to code and I dont have a good pc either.

    submitted by /u/oatiss-
    [link] [comments]

    What is the most memorable loot system you actually enjoyed?

    Posted: 10 May 2020 06:12 AM PDT

    I was that kid who constantly fell into the time trap many free (and paid) MMOs set to keep players "engaged". I'm now in my 30s and have since become aware of the emptiness this game mechanic typically offers, but still love finding cool loot in games.

    Personally, I feel like MHW did a pretty good job at balancing strategic, fun gameplay with grinding for loot drops. Instead of killing 500 of the same thing, you have to become a more skilled player to slice off "rarer" monster parts.

    I'm working on a small 2D RPG indie game and trying to think through ways to include my love for loot while avoiding the boring grind that often accompanies them. Are there any other games (or even just parts of games) that stick out as memorable loot farming experiences?

    If interested, you can check out my devlog here: https://youtu.be/sgt-33l9JJc

    Thank you in advance for any recommendations/ideas!

    submitted by /u/tutmoBuffet
    [link] [comments]

    Hi r/gamedev. I'm in love with this game art style, but I don't know what it is called. It's the same with Shadow Fight and Vector (Mobile). I'd love to know what this art form is called, and if you are an artist who makes this type of art, please tell me where to start.

    Posted: 10 May 2020 07:54 AM PDT

    Hi Guys ! I make royalty-free music and here's my latest track. It's a chill Lofi Hip-Hop instrumental, and it's free to download ! Feel free to use it in your games !

    Posted: 10 May 2020 07:51 AM PDT

    Student discusses Mystiqa Development and Funding

    Posted: 10 May 2020 11:36 AM PDT

    3 rules for a Great UI

    Posted: 10 May 2020 07:46 AM PDT

    3 rules for a Great UI

    Hello,

    I just wrote a blogpost about 3 rules I found useful while optimizing the UI, maybe you will find it useful: https://moutik.itch.io/idol-keeper/devlog/145094/3-rules-for-a-great-ui.

    To sum up, the 3 rules are:

    1. Never neglect any comment coming from the testers
    2. Try to please every kind of players: not easy and it sometimes pushes you to think about smart ways to deal with every players profiles
    3. Abuse the hover: it can bring intuitive and helpful tips/info to the players, below in an example:

    Hovering is a great way to show possible actions

    Do you have any other tips or helpful experience?

    Have a great day

    submitted by /u/Moutik26
    [link] [comments]

    What can I practice to improve my problem solving for game development (except projecteuler)

    Posted: 10 May 2020 07:35 AM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment