• Breaking News

    Wednesday, July 17, 2019

    Opinion on companies phasing out developers in favor of packages? Ask Programming

    Opinion on companies phasing out developers in favor of packages? Ask Programming


    Opinion on companies phasing out developers in favor of packages?

    Posted: 17 Jul 2019 12:06 PM PDT

    I work for a large retail organization. We have a stack that includes some Java, a lot of cobolt, db2, and many software packages (mostly ibm). Although this company had originally developed it's own infrastructure, throughout the years we have been moving away from custom development to software packages. This means that our current developers support legacy code and new hires do not code but are experienced with tools such as SAP, DataStage, MicroStrategy, etc.

    My manager has expressed that his vision is to move completely away from development. Developers will be obsolete and software packages will solve all problems. Developers create too much debt and languages/frameworks change too quickly to keep up with.

    While I can kind of see his point, I generally disagree. Because our stack is mostly built on various packages, our systems do not communicate very well. Whenever we have to make a change and run into problems we must wait on support. Most importantly, there is almost always a unique business problem we need to solve that would be easier done through development than packages. And because we discourage development, we have to pay consultants to solve these problems further increasing the timeline of getting work done.

    I get that technology changes fast but I believe that if you foster a development culture, you will have the right people to maintain a strong technological infrastructure. If we had strong devops then we would have stronger development. But management won't acknowledge either. As a result you do not have a well oiled machine. Basically development has always been treated as a cost. Therefore we always skimped on resources. As a result we have a poorly designed architecture filled with siloed systems making developed extremely difficult (heck, our database doesn't even have indexes or foreign keys and we have huge amounts of data). I don't think software packages are the solution here.

    Im curious what other opinions are on this topic of developers vs packages. I'm just a jr. Dev but from everything I've read about tech and business, I believe strongly that developers, when utilized correctly, can create a lot of value for all types of businesses.

    submitted by /u/fool-evolved
    [link] [comments]

    re: Beginner Issues

    Posted: 17 Jul 2019 08:55 PM PDT

    I have been taking a coding Bootcamp course called from zero to hero etc. by Jose Portilla. My biggest issue right now is the difference in the content covered in the lectures and the homework assignments. The homework assignments require a lot more than what is expected of me during the lectures. Also, I'm not sure if I am supposed to memorize every string, list, and function command or if I'm supposed to be able to recognize what it is and apply it. Another thing that I struggle with is concatenation. I don't know how to tie in different concepts yet. It has only been 13 days. The only thing that I can write from memory is a string, an index command, and a for & while loop. How concerned should I be?

    submitted by /u/sseymens
    [link] [comments]

    Who uses F#

    Posted: 17 Jul 2019 11:40 AM PDT

    Whenever I program against .NET, I always use C# and it has worked great for everything from compiler implementation to web server implementation. I know F# is another language that .NET supports, but who uses it and what are some cases where it would be preferred over C# ?

    submitted by /u/FuqNick
    [link] [comments]

    Use of libraries

    Posted: 17 Jul 2019 10:28 PM PDT

    How do you decide whether you want to use a library or implement your own methods? For example would you use the linkedlist library? Do most popular libraries provide the fastest implementation?

    submitted by /u/Derivation_
    [link] [comments]

    FaceApp

    Posted: 17 Jul 2019 09:52 PM PDT

    Just wanted to know how app like FaceApp,Prism is developed ?Using which programming language.

    submitted by /u/rajatrao777
    [link] [comments]

    is this a good O(n) way to find the only number with count 1 in a javascript array?

    Posted: 17 Jul 2019 12:54 PM PDT

    had this question a website full of interview questions, and this wasn't the given answer but i thought it worked:

    function lonelyNumber(numbers) {

    var lone = null;

    for (let i = 0; i < numbers.length; i++) {

    if (lone===numbers[i]) lone = null;

    else if (lone===null) lone = numbers[i];

    }

    return lone;

    }

    what do y'all think about this code?

    submitted by /u/rudebowski
    [link] [comments]

    GUI

    Posted: 17 Jul 2019 05:41 PM PDT

    1. Create a window with a layout.
    2. Add 6 buttons to the window, each with a number to identify it – such as Button1, Button2, Button3, Button4, Button5, Button6.
    3. When a button is clicked, it will create an event object.
    4. Create a listener object that will respond to the event object by displaying a message to the screen stating which button was clicked. Hint: Make a separate class to handle the event (clicking the button

    Hey, im not really entirely sure what this assignment is asking. I dont get what listener objects are, like i've read the docs and i honestly dont get it. So I just did this

    https://imgur.com/a/HBEF50B

    I mean, it functions as asked, but the part specfically about event and listener objects worry me that i need to include something

    submitted by /u/Eternal-Isolation
    [link] [comments]

    Do developers create internal APIs for their own mobile apps to connect to their DB servers?

    Posted: 17 Jul 2019 05:41 PM PDT

    I don't do any mobile development, just curious on how people use/create APIs. I understand a lot of big tech companies create APIs for developers use, so they can create apps and access certain data efficiently and easily. Instead let's say I'm just some person wanting to create a mobile app. Would I create an API for my own app for myself to use? Or would I directly access my own DB server?

    submitted by /u/person4422
    [link] [comments]

    How do you take responsibility for code?

    Posted: 17 Jul 2019 09:15 PM PDT

    2 days ago, I was laid off from a start-up with the feedback my technical skills are very good, but didn't take any responsibility.

    Now I realize I sometimes didn't have time to test my code thoroughly, because I had too much work on my plate, hence working for a start-up. But often enough, when I couldn't sleep at night, I would get up and start programming at 2-4 AM and push the code. I started doing this as soon as I was allowed to work from home, so I knew I wouldn't be a danger on the road.

    I often tried to proactively refactor code as I was implementing new features of fixing bugs as the only other front-end developer didn't seem to understand SOLID and basically made spaghetti of everything.

    I'm pretty sure all of us made mistakes often enough, but all of the developers were there from day 1 and are shareholders.

    Coincidentally, the company was 15 days late with my last paycheck.

    Should I ask for a reference having worked there for only 9 months?

    submitted by /u/jonashendrickx
    [link] [comments]

    Any recommended resources for getting comfortable with Test Driven Development (Books, websites, etc.)?

    Posted: 17 Jul 2019 08:32 AM PDT

    Filling a Text box in wordpress

    Posted: 17 Jul 2019 03:54 PM PDT

    So, I have my website thru wordpress. I'm trying to do something that seems simple but I can't figure out. Id like a text box that when I type in it, it also automatically types that same answer into other text boxes.

    For example:

    Name: John Smith DOB:1/1/1948 Address: 00000 Main street More information:

    Name: John Smith Date 07-17-2019

    In this example I'd like for the recipient to only type "John Smith" once and then his name gets filled in other text boxes thru the document.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/DarianCopywriter
    [link] [comments]

    Beginner Programming | Art Program

    Posted: 17 Jul 2019 03:08 AM PDT

    I want to make an art/painting program, but I have no idea were to start. What's the best type of code to use and ideal programming software to create it in.

    I want to create something simple like Sai, but have a few functions and handy tools you would find in Ps.

    submitted by /u/gorgeous_hybrid
    [link] [comments]

    What path should I follow to be a Java backend developer?

    Posted: 17 Jul 2019 09:19 AM PDT

    Hello, I am a backend programmer with PHP and Node.js, it is SQL and NoSQL, since 1 year, I have the solid backend bases and I would like to extend my field to Java, but there are so many technologies with Java that I do not know where to start, where Should I start?

    submitted by /u/darioxlz
    [link] [comments]

    Inherited a management position as a jr dev and need help fixing a broken build bot

    Posted: 17 Jul 2019 06:39 AM PDT

    I feel like I learn quickly, and I have been able to jump every hurdle so far without too much time taken, but I just can't figure this out! Basically we use TFS 2015 and in that we have a build definition that goes through an agent on a remote computer (that I can remote into).So, one of the developers checked in code with an updated NuGet package (Newtonsoft.Json) and it broke the build. The files and everything build locally just fine, but the build bot is broken. I was wondering if anyone here could help me solve this. I have a screenshot of the steps the definition takes here. please let me know if you need something else to help me figure this out.

    THANK YOU

    submitted by /u/smileforkirk
    [link] [comments]

    Blockchain enabled embedded systems for IoT

    Posted: 17 Jul 2019 08:15 AM PDT

    Trying to get started with Blockchain enabled embedded systems for IoT but after few days of googling and reading articles I am still lost, so any directions or advice are much appreciated.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/idgafBoutGrammar
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a "correct" way to program games?

    Posted: 17 Jul 2019 03:01 AM PDT

    I wanted to make desktop games in Java. Since I didn't find useful tutorials, I improvised and looked for how to draw graphics instead. Then, all I did was to write methods about how game components move and then write methods to draw the shapes of them based on their coordinates and include all of these methods in the paintComponent method and that's it. The games work awesome and I programmed them in very little time.

    The point is that tutorials were way too complicated than what I did. They show that you should make methods and methods, extra classes, extra classes in the classes etc. etc. for simple games like snake. I made a good snake game in less than an hour but tutorials about them last maybe 3 hours.

    Is the way I'm programming games wrong? Is there some kind of conventional way programmers make games that I'm missing?

    submitted by /u/HiTek_142857
    [link] [comments]

    Good resources/tutorials for learning how to program genetic algorithms in C#?

    Posted: 17 Jul 2019 05:42 AM PDT

    Hey guys,

    After watching some of code bullet's videos, and dipping my toes into neural networks once w/python, I'm very inspired to learn how to write genetic algorithms. The thing is, I don't know where to start. So, what are some resources and/or tutorials you can recommend to me? Before that though, here are a few things about myself to keep in mind when you make your recommendations:

    1. I'm a heavily visual learner. Seeing someone code while explaining what they are doing is the best way I learn.
    2. My programming "skill level", so to speak, is up to OOP w/knowledge of inheritance, polymorphism, etc.
    3. My math skills only go up to algebra 1 and some pre-trig.

    Edit: speeling

    Thanks,

    Papyrus

    submitted by /u/PapyrusTheRoyalGuard
    [link] [comments]

    In the context of designing a function, what does the excerpt below mean?

    Posted: 17 Jul 2019 05:15 AM PDT

    "1. From Problem Analysis to Data Definitions.

    • Identify the information that must be represented and how it is represented in the chosen programming language. Formulate data definitions and illustrate them with examples."

    More specifically the second sentence. Thanks if you can help

    The excerpt is from the book "How to Design Programs" and I found it through this website https://htdp.org/2019-02-24/part_preface.html

    Edit:. I've found "Data Definition Language" on Wikipedia, is this pointing me in the right direction?

    Also if anyone is interested, I found out about the book here: https://teachyourselfcs.com/#programming

    submitted by /u/G-Fieri
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to manipulate/filter the notifications of other apps with your own app? (iOS Discussion)

    Posted: 17 Jul 2019 04:28 AM PDT

    I apologize in advance for knowing very little about app dev.

    I know that a user could modify the notifications they can see within the OS themselves, but if one were to create an app to filter notifications across all other apps, is that possible? I'm not sure whether that would be considered a restricted piece of the framework/kernel.

    If it is possible, is it also possible to collect the data contained in all enabled notifications?

    For Example: Instagram sends a notification to my phone with the text — "John recently added to their story!" A 3rd party app manipulates the text and can make decisions based on the text.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/hubbardw
    [link] [comments]

    How to deal with shitty code passed to me ?

    Posted: 17 Jul 2019 04:06 AM PDT

    I'm interning at a place to do some deep learning shizz. The other interns told the boss that I need training data for my algorithm(Which I didn't). My company paid a data annotation company 2000$ to get the training data, but the thing is I have to download images off an API and give it to them, and the code written to fetch the images is broken as fuuuuuuck. The other interns have left the internship and I'm stuck here with their code not working and a 2000$ responsibility, Also I cannot blame the other interns because they're from a very elite college. What the frick am I supposed to do ?

    submitted by /u/backprophop
    [link] [comments]

    Possible to poach ad money hosting off platform websites within an app like Instagram?

    Posted: 17 Jul 2019 12:53 AM PDT

    Have an interesting question.

    For example, companies like Snapchat and Instagram let you view other websites within their apps through a swipe up function.

    If you view a YouTube video or blog site within the Snapchat app, is it possible that when viewing this outside website from within the app, Snapchat/Instagram is able to change the html data or whatever through the portal being used to allow a user to view an outside website, so that it is Snapchat/Instagram themselves making money off the ad revenue being shown on the off app website hosted within the app?

    So if I swipe up to watch a YouTube video, Snapchat gets paid for the pre roll ad on the video because via the portal, they changed it so that they get their own ads to play instead of whatever the website had coded to use for the ad placements.

    submitted by /u/stealnova
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment