• Breaking News

    Friday, May 14, 2021

    Am I ready? web developers

    Am I ready? web developers


    Am I ready?

    Posted: 14 May 2021 02:47 AM PDT

    This question comes up a lot here on Webdev.

    "Am I ready for a junior / entry level developer position? "I've built a MERN stack app with authentication and websockets."

    Yes, yes you are.

    In my opinion, a junior developer should be able to build a TODO app (or similar) from scratch with a javascript framework of your choice and give a it a fairly nice styling.

    If you know that, and more, it's time to start looking for a junior position. And while you do that, maybe it's time to start learning some other skills that will help you out in the industry.

    If you get a junior position, you will most likely work in a team of devs.

    Some things you should know about or do:

    • Agile and Scrum

    • Some kind of project management platform, such as Jira or Trello

    • Brush up on your Git and general terminal knowledge

    • Realize that development isn't always about pushing out a lot of features, you also need to stop and refactor and solve bugs. And meetings. Lots of them.

    • Github / Gitlab

    • Linters / Prettier

    • If you haven't tried Linux, do that. Odds are you will use it sooner rather than later.

    • Learn how to write a good bug report

    • Have you contributed to open source? That looks good in the CV and is also a good lesson.

    • Have you ever given or received a code review?

    If you have a friend who can code review your app, that could be valuable for you. If not, drop a comment in this thread if you're looking for one.

    submitted by /u/Lekoaf
    [link] [comments]

    I made this PlayStation 5 UI In JavaScript. If you're learning vanilla JS, might be of some use.

    Posted: 14 May 2021 11:38 AM PDT

    Anyone interested in trying their hand at building a Chrome Extension (only basic JS skills required)

    Posted: 14 May 2021 01:04 PM PDT

    Heres the quick start docs and heres an install link from the Chrome Store!

    Backstory:

    A few friends and I have been working on a way to build and share Chrome extensions easier. We built a few extensions in the past (funny story time, we built this extension for our college that would repeatedly click "enroll" at midnight, and we got so many students it brought down the class enrolling website...).

    Anyways, we've been working on a tool (kinda like Userscripts) to make it easier to build extensions. It's completely free, we are just excited to share and get your feedback!!

    [edit] move the get started link up because people were missing it

    submitted by /u/nocodelowcode
    [link] [comments]

    next-rosetta is Typescript-first i18n module for Next.js, no custom server required!

    Posted: 14 May 2021 08:36 AM PDT

    Published my first npm package checkout :- responsive-navbar-react

    Posted: 14 May 2021 11:28 AM PDT

    [Showoff Saturday] I've been using this super simple React virtualisation technique in my app successfully for 9+ months now, so I decided to release it on npm. It's based on IntersectionObservers and is waaaay easier to implement than react-virtualised/window. Also it's only 46 lines of es5.

    Posted: 14 May 2021 02:32 PM PDT

    Advantages in a nutshell:

    • No need for a flat list
    • Works with any DOM nesting structure
    • Is completely decoupled from infinite-scroll or pagination
    • Works for responsive grids with no extra configuration
    • Easy to drop in - just wrap your list items with <RenderIfVisible></RenderIfVisible>
    • Doesn't require a wrapper around your entire list
    • Doesn't care how scrolling works for your situation (i.e. is it window scroll, or scrolling within a div with overflow: scroll)
    • It is tiny - 46 lines and has no dependencies (apart from React as a peer dependency).

    Here's an article I wrote about it: https://dev.to/angus_russell/super-simple-list-virtualization-in-react-with-intersectionobserver-3o6g

    Or you can just check out the repo: https://github.com/NightCafeStudio/react-render-if-visible

    submitted by /u/GusRuss89
    [link] [comments]

    Teaching myself how to code. Need some motivation, especially from self-taught developers!

    Posted: 14 May 2021 03:58 PM PDT

    Hi all!

    I've had The Web Developer Bootcamp by Colt Steele on Udemy since 2018 but I had a mentally draining full-time job that I didn't love/enjoy then and I had neither time nor the mental capacity to learn web development.

    I've always wanted to be a web developer. I was the best in HTML in 4th grade (LOL), and since then, I had been playing around with codes on social media sites, wordpress, blogger, etc. Just basic html and css, plus a whole lot of googling (which people kept telling me it's basically 90% of programming haha).

    I quit my job in March to move to the UK and join my fiancé, and for visa reasons, I can't legally work for the next few months. Today I decided to use this time to learn to code and pick up where I left off with the course. To my surprise, it's been completely overhauled!!!

    I'm really excited about this. I have a completely unrelated educational background and I want to do this to shift careers. I really think this is my calling.

    If you're a self-taught web developer, can you please share your story and how you landed your first job? I would appreciate a little motivation. Would also love some recommendations on more learning materials (books etc.) that I could use on top of the course. Thank you all!!

    TL;DR Loved coding when I was young. Now wanting to shift careers and learn to code self-taught. Need some motivation and recommendation on learning materials and overall advice!

    submitted by /u/karlamaye
    [link] [comments]

    Printable Algorithms & Exercises

    Posted: 14 May 2021 04:02 PM PDT

    Hey guys,

    I won't have a PC or internet connection for the next month or so, and I was looking to make use of this time for learning algorithms & data structures. Is there an online resource that provides printable algorithms with explanation and solution?

    submitted by /u/dr_error
    [link] [comments]

    I need help choosing a frontend approach

    Posted: 14 May 2021 07:25 AM PDT

    Hello everyone, I'm looking for advice here as a last resort because I got completely stuck and I can't go forward.

    I want to build a new project using Django and Vue, and the fact that I want to use Django and Vue is the only thing I'm sure about, since I'm quite experienced with Django and Vue is the only frontend framework I have some little experience with.

    The app I'm building is a trading-related webapp, i plan to work a lot on this as a side project, it will have a lot of interactivity and this is the other reason I want to use Vue.

    I decided to have a Vue SPA in the frontend but what got me completely frozen is how to serve the Vue SPA. Frontend and backend must be on the same domain, I'm using Session Authentication with Nginx to work as a reverse proxy.

    I have two options:

    1) Serve the Vue SPA from Django using Django-Webpack-Loader (a library that allows Django to serve webpack). So Django will act as a backend with some API endpoint that the Vue SPA can consume. The Vue SPA is injected into an index.html Django template and served by django-webpack-loader.

    The pros of this approach are that since the Vue SPA is served in a Django template I can completely take advantage of the awesome built in Django security features, I would work more with Django and since I'm a lot more experienced with Python/Django than JavaScript this is a good thing.

    The cons of this approach are that it would be a single codebase, which could be a bit messy. Another thing is that with this approach Django would take care of serving frontend and backend together, and I'm afraid this may or may not create scalability problems in a future where someone else other than me uses my app. Finally, the last problem is that I don't like depending on Django-webpack-loader since the library is unmaintained.

    2) Have a Nuxt/Vue frontend separated from the Django backend but on the same server. The pros of this approach are that I would still be able to use Django's Session Authentication, I would have two distinct codebases and Django would not have to serve the frontend.

    The cons of this approach are that I'm a lot more comfortable with Python and Django rather than JS, I would have to rewrite some features that Django offers out of the box (not a lot though) and I never used Nuxt (Universal mode) in production.

    I'm looking for any possible piece of advice that would help me to finally choose an approach, since I've been in this situation for a lot of time now, please. Did anyone else have a similar problem? Any kind of advice is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Frankd22
    [link] [comments]

    How the fuck does JSTorrent work?

    Posted: 14 May 2021 04:53 PM PDT

    https://www.jstorrent.com/

    Seriously, I've been trying to figure it out for weeks and just can't find an answer.

    Any devs here who might be able to give some insight?

    I'm working on an app that's going to make piracy and torrenting 10,000 times more common above average people. We need more people downloading Directors of Art.

    The major problem with it right now is that the UX sucks. Being able to torrent right from your browser would take it light years ahead. Might be the difference between success and failure. Thing is, I just can't figure out how to implement it. It's clearly possible since JSTorrent did it years ago, but I just can't find the answer and don't understand their source code.

    TLDR: Any devs here who know how to implement torrenting from a browser extension like JSTorrent? Sorry if this isn't the place to ask this.

    submitted by /u/questionsasker4prez
    [link] [comments]

    A question about SSL Certificates

    Posted: 14 May 2021 11:28 AM PDT

    I understand the importance of having an SSL certificate for a domain, but I'm wondering if I need to have one if my domain web address automatically redirects to my Square site, which is secure.

    Any thoughts? Sorry if I'm in the wrong sub

    submitted by /u/Cotton-Candy-Queen
    [link] [comments]

    Difficulty and frustration with business website not being found

    Posted: 14 May 2021 03:02 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    I created a website via Wix about two weeks ago for my business, and followed all the SEO steps to be found on Google. I'm a little frustrated though that I am unable to actually find my website from a simple google search unless I type the exact URL into the search bar minus the .com (which nobody will do). Even when searching explicitly for the name of the website and some of the important tags or content, Google brings up sites that are not relevant at all to what I am searching. I know that I'm searching the right things though, because I see my product mentioned on other websites on the Google results that I have posted on, just not my own website which makes no sense to me.

    It's a little frustrating because I would like people to be able to just google the name of my business and have it pop up, but that doesn't seem to be happening. Does anyone have any advice for what I should do?

    submitted by /u/paratheking
    [link] [comments]

    Add copyright for commercial use on my template

    Posted: 14 May 2021 02:40 PM PDT

    I made my curriculum as a simple website and i will be making it public on git, for people use it.

    but i dont want to someone grab it and sell it , do i only need to create a copyright section or i need to register it somewhere?

    submitted by /u/zemmsoares
    [link] [comments]

    Can I use remixed music I made on my website?

    Posted: 14 May 2021 08:12 AM PDT

    Was debating where this question should go, but figured some of you may have run into this.

    I have a few remixed songs (Windows XP login tune, and Linkin Park's "In The End" but as a early 2000's house track, among others) that I wanted to use as part of some jokes on the site. It's a personal site I made for some friends just used as a way to practice some webdev and maybe add to a resume, no money to be made off of it.

    I'd rather steer clear of doing this if it seems like it would be an issue.

    Thanks for the help!

    Edit: I forgot to add, I did look into this, mainly in regards to derivative work copyright but it seems like everyone's talking about it in the context of selling/making money off of it, which I'm not planning to.

    submitted by /u/fenghetti
    [link] [comments]

    How to make HTTP requests of an API safe and secure ?

    Posted: 14 May 2021 06:10 AM PDT

    I am very new to building APIs. During an interview, the interviewer asked me how to make an HTTP request safe and secure. I said we can encrypt the HTTP header and HTTP body when the clients sends it, and decrypt it in the server. I guess that was the wrong answer, so she asked me if there are any other ways. But, I didn't know of any other.

    So to this questions, what are some good answers you can think of?

    submitted by /u/cheapAssCEO
    [link] [comments]

    Light browser for Web Dev

    Posted: 14 May 2021 01:16 PM PDT

    Hello guys,

    Can you recommend some light browser that support HTML5, CSS3 and JS and most of the Web Dev Whiz bang. Because running Code and Chrome at same time causes some performance issues.

    submitted by /u/Yankee_Cong
    [link] [comments]

    Store images in a subdomain

    Posted: 14 May 2021 12:46 PM PDT

    Hi everyone! I've been struggling with this and I'm hoping someone can help me with my noob question 😅

    I made a Shopify store for my client – let's call it domain.com

    Shopify doesn't let me transfer files through FTP, but I need a place to store a bunch of images for my client. My idea was to buy a new hosting plan on Hostgator, dump all the images there, and have the domain for this new website be images.domain.com

    The reason I want to buy hosting on Hostgator instead of something like Dropbox is because I need each image URL to keep the original filename intact. I also often overwrite these images with updated photos and need the URL to remain the same (e.g. images.domain.com/puppy.jpg instead of something weird like https://previews.dropbox.com/p/thumb/ABI-apOCbSwVKMTEOI0rnPraQ/p.jpeg)

    Bearing in mind that I have very little understanding of how domains work, my question is: How can I create the subdomain called "images.domain.com" and "link" that subdomain to my hosting account on Hostgator?

    Or, is there a better way to achieve what I want?

    submitted by /u/charhew
    [link] [comments]

    Can I add my own layout on a video iframe?

    Posted: 14 May 2021 12:09 PM PDT

    On youtube, for example, when you click the share button under a video you can copy and paste an iframe for that video, but then the media buttons will have the youtube layout, and I wanted to add my own layout. Is this possible?

    submitted by /u/FiireStorm
    [link] [comments]

    Svelte: I’m currently considering learning svelte.js as my first js framework.

    Posted: 13 May 2021 11:43 PM PDT

    Hey, everyone. I've been self teaching myself html, css, and js for the last 5 months and I've gotten pretty good! Im very confident in my ability to start learning a js framework.

    I know svelte isnt in-demand like react, but that doesn't matter to me. Im not looking into getting a pro job busting my butt for someone else the rest of my life. My ultimate goal is to freelance and I've heard that svelte is something to consider learning.

    What are y'all's thoughts on svelte?

    I've purchased a course on Udemy on svelte by Maximilian s. Any other resources to acquire or reference to to master svelte? Besides from the obvious docs. Thx

    submitted by /u/DeptMgrTulsa
    [link] [comments]

    I made a tool to make themes for DuckDuckGo using react.

    Posted: 14 May 2021 11:37 AM PDT

    I made a tool to make themes for DuckDuckGo using react.

    https://reddit.com/link/ncfny5/video/blwby76wq4z61/player

    GitHub | app .I don't even know if this is a thing our world needs but recently I figured out that we can apply any colors to DuckDuckGo search engine and was surprised to see that no good color combination exist on internet so decided to make a tool this weekend (just wanted to practice).

    I am not sure if I should take this forward and make it better but I have finished the basic I wanted. If someone wants to contribute to this then totally welcome. Please give some CC.

    (I posted this on r/reactjs as well but didn't get any response)

    submitted by /u/Curious_homosepian_2
    [link] [comments]

    Website builders refuse to release website after payment.

    Posted: 13 May 2021 10:18 PM PDT

    I had a website built, and after it is paid for, the folks who built it are refusing to give the code and want to charge by the hour for ongoing changes. They claim this code is proprietary. I feel like I am held hostage since this is an e-commerce business.

    Is this common practice? I never thought to ask, and nowhere in the contract is this mentioned.

    submitted by /u/mdfour50
    [link] [comments]

    Building micro-fe with Angular? Here's how

    Posted: 14 May 2021 11:01 AM PDT

    Can I use the same domain name for both client and server?

    Posted: 14 May 2021 10:52 AM PDT

    Hi,

    I would like to deploy a react app on netlify, and a node app on heroku. If I buy the domain www.mydomain.com (random example of course), can I use it both on the client and server? Or do I need to use two different domains?

    submitted by /u/MonsieurLeland
    [link] [comments]

    Turning your React Web Apps into Native Phone Apps

    Posted: 14 May 2021 10:00 AM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment