• Breaking News

    Thursday, March 3, 2022

    Substance to UE5 looks DRASTICALLY different. Also, I know it’s a Timelapse, but if anyone can easily spot some bad practices in this video, I’d like to know how to fix them. Thanks

    Substance to UE5 looks DRASTICALLY different. Also, I know it’s a Timelapse, but if anyone can easily spot some bad practices in this video, I’d like to know how to fix them. Thanks


    Substance to UE5 looks DRASTICALLY different. Also, I know it’s a Timelapse, but if anyone can easily spot some bad practices in this video, I’d like to know how to fix them. Thanks

    Posted: 02 Mar 2022 09:06 PM PST

    If you could magically have of one aspect of game dev done what would it be?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2022 08:25 AM PST

    Programming...

    submitted by /u/motherhub
    [link] [comments]

    Freedom to love: we added same-gender couple alternative in our game

    Posted: 03 Mar 2022 07:45 AM PST

    We are a french indie game studio. In december 2020, we released Haven, our romantic space adventure.

    Yesterday, we released the most significant update so far for the game: the Couple update, which allows you to play as same-gender Yu & Kay! It was a lot of work for our team, and we would like to share a bit more about it!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA5O-yeabIk

    Originally, the concept for Haven featured 8 couples with a diverse range of relationships. However, during production, it became clear that we wouldn't be able to reach our initial vision for the entire cast of characters, so we focused on the two characters you know well.

    Right after the game launch, we went back to work on this update to add the alternate couples! We're very proud to provide the lovers' story in two new ways that more players can identify with.

    If the alternate characters share a similar look with the original Yu and Kay, they have been recreated to the standards of quality of the initial release. With two new fantastic actors giving life to the characters across all 80,000 lines of dialogue in the game, new models, and the whole in-game art, it represents several months of work from our small team but we are proud of it :)

    submitted by /u/Kakolak69
    [link] [comments]

    Tips and Tricks for Steam Next Fest

    Posted: 03 Mar 2022 04:31 AM PST

    Here are some tips I haven't seen elsewhere:

    1. Microtrailers: when you hover over a game on Steam you'll normally see the top 4 screenshots, but during Next Fest you will instead see a 6 second trailer. The problem is this microtrailer is auto-generated by Steam from your regular trailer and can include boring info (black screens, text, etc). So I contacted Steam support before the festival and they agreed to instead use my hand-crafted 6 sec microtrailer. (Don't forget to double check their work! Before it begins Steam will send you a link to preview the festival pages. Check that your custom microtrailer is accurately showing. In my case it was not and I had to contact support again.)
    2. In-Game Feedback: I created a feedback form on my game's main menu (first thing users saw) and pause menu (last thing they saw). With just 2 clicks people could anonymously send comments to my Google Form. This was SUPER effective. I got hundreds of comments that helped me quickly catch bugs and actually improve design. Here's a good tutorial for making such a form.
    3. Patching: The deadline to submit your demo build is 3-5 biz days before the festival (or earlier for the press preview), but after the initial build is approved, all subsequent updates don't need Steam's approval. So you can keep polishing the demo until the start and fix bugs after. I ended up releasing 3 hotfixes during the festival (I know, my demo was buggy as hell) which won me some praise for being responsive.
    4. Easy Livestream Loop: Each of your two allotted livestreams is promoted on the main page for only the first hour, but continue to stay visible less prominently for another 23 hours. So DO NOT stop your stream after you're done and keep running a looped video. (If you stop, you will no longer be visible on the main page -- not even less prominently.) The easiest way is to loop a pre-recorded video for the entire 24 hours. But if you need to do live you'll need to both stream and livestream. So this is what I did to minimize work:
      1. Created two scenes in OBS: Scene 1 was my regular livestream and Scene 2 was a pre-recorded short looped video of my game's main menu screen.
      2. Assign keyboard shortcuts for (a) switching scenes (b) start/stopping recording.
      3. As my stream began, I was in Scene 1 on my game's main menu and hit record (to save the stream to a local file). Then I went about my livestream as normal.
      4. As my stream was ending, I returned to my game's main menu, stopped the recording, then switched to Scene 2 (the short looped main menu video).
      5. Finally, I quickly changed the Scene 2 source video from my short looped main menu one to the livestream I just recorded.
      6. Honestly no one is watching closely so you don't need to be so careful with the seamless transitions and looping, but I just wanted to keep it clean for anyone watching. Most importantly this saved me time: instead of a pre-recorded video + live steam, I did both at once. And in my case the live version was more fun and energetic so the looped video was better. (Btw you don't have to hide this or anything. Just say, "OK this recording will now be looped but I'm still here lurking in chat to answer your questions" or something.)
    5. Do Not Participate: Haha! But no, it's not a joke. Unless you are actually (actually!) 1-2 months from release, I don't think you should participate. First, it's a bad idea to show your game in an early state. Next Fest gamers are a forgiving bunch but first impression still matter. Second, it is so much work (trailer, demo, demo tutorial, settings menu, admin, marketing, polish/fix stuff that will prob change before release). In all the festival took a month out of my regular work. I doubled my wishlists but honestly they are probably worthless? In hindsight I should have just kept chugging along my dev roadmap and picked up more valuable wishlists via targeted videos/updates. (The only counterargument is you can get good feedback which is more valuable earlier in development.)

    I'm sure the last point will be controversial so look fw your thoughts below. BTW don't get me wrong from the bottom of my heart I appreciate Steam doing this and making the indie dream possible. GabeN is my only jesus. And every single person I've interacted with at Steam has been wonderful. (Big shout out to Chell from Steam Biz Team!) But as an indie you have finite resources that you have to allocate intelligently lest you burn out of cash/sanity. Good luck future devs.

    Edit: link formatting

    submitted by /u/manhole_s
    [link] [comments]

    Game Devs trying to create multiplayer games

    Posted: 03 Mar 2022 07:17 AM PST

    How difficult was is or was creating a multiplayer game? I know that there are free Assets like Photon to help make the process easier but when user accounts get involved that means we're talking about spending serious money? Also any other knowledge would be very much appreciated!

    submitted by /u/PeakPineapple1
    [link] [comments]

    What was game development like in 2003-07?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2022 08:33 AM PST

    What kind of hardware did developers of the time use? what about software? what about motion capture devices basically I want to know everything developers of the time would use to make their games,

    some specific things I want to know:

    1.What sort of computers did they have? (specs : gpu, cpu, how much ram, whatever else there is to know)

    2.What programming languages and game engines were widespread at the time?? what did AAA game developers use and what about indie devs?

    1. How much would their equipment cost at the time and what would realistic timeframe for making a game be? (I'm thinking 30 people on the team, game would be about as ambitious as metal gear solid 3 was at the time)

    4.What other technology did they use for game development

    5.How did they optimize games so well that they could run on consoles of the time (PS2, Xbox, Gamecube)

    6.How viable would single man development team be at the time?

    those are things I was particularly interested in, if there is anything else to know please let me know that too.

    submitted by /u/adolf_slither
    [link] [comments]

    Mechanicly different types of melee attack?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2022 03:48 AM PST

    Hi,

    I am wondering if there is some wider range of melee attack types usable for isometric aRPG. What I mean by type is when the attack has an impact on gameplay, as well as code. Its not just about changing size of collider, duration, dash etc. It's more about what the purpose of the attack is. Only example I can think of is - single target, multiple target.

    I have put together a list of ranged attack so you can see what I mean. It was very easy with ranged attacks, but I cannot come-up with anything for melee.

    Thanks for any discussion and/or advice.

    Types of ranged attack:

    • Piercing projectile (piercing bullet)
    • Unpiercing projectile (Arrow)
    • Returning piercing projectile (boomerang) (can hit enemies on way back)
    • Returning unpiercing projectile (on first impact returns to sender)
    • Throwable "round" AoE (bomb) (does not have to be round, can be square or whatever)
    • Throwable round AoE with trajectory (main hit on place of inpact, but trajectory of throw also deals damage - potion which leaks poison)
    • Round AoE without trajectory - spawns from ground or air
    • Round AoE with jump - melee/ranged attack - player "throws" him self at the place of impact
    • Piercing column (column appeares, starting from casting character, where all enemies standing inside are getting hit while the attack is actvie - laser)
    • Unpiercing column (laser which stops at first enemy hit, but can be aimed elsewhere to more targets during one attack) (beam)
    • Column AoE - column begins from casting character, hits all enemies in column at once, only once, (no continuous time) (whip)
    • immediate hit on place of cursor - attack with no trajectory, usually very weak, one character targeted
    • Chained attack - attack jump from one character to other
    • Throwable-pickable weapon - After throwing weapon, player have to pick it up (at place of impact or random place where weapon bounced off)
    • Homing projectile with straight trajectory - projectile will hit enemy on which it gets locked on (sniper rifle)
    • Homing projectile with homing trajectory - (missile from rocket launcher)
    • Plantable mine
    • Throwable mine
    • Detonatable mine
    • Bouncing throwable - hits only on places where it bounces of the ground
    submitted by /u/DTMika2
    [link] [comments]

    Making a video game

    Posted: 02 Mar 2022 08:32 PM PST

    Hi, this question is going to be very open-ended, I appreciate all responses.

    Say that through a few years I designed every concept to a video game, the art styles, clear sketched out interfaces, desired graphics and items and powers, a powerful story.

    If I had everything at least organized in terms of how it needs to be created in huge detail in an easy to understand and read layout, maybe I could find someone to help me, or hire people that could help me bring the game to life.

    Is there anything that I could do now, early during this mission, to make future steps much much easier?

    What are some organizing tips? Is there something you think I should create first? Please be serious, I know it seems very far fetched but I'd really appreciate anything helpful. We all start from somewhere.

    submitted by /u/AmbitiousYoungMan
    [link] [comments]

    Marketing Hype

    Posted: 03 Mar 2022 01:55 AM PST

    As a solo developer without the backing of a studio how would you go about trying to create hype around your game, like how and where would you advertise it?

    submitted by /u/mattieb4745
    [link] [comments]

    Should I wait for the end of college to make a game?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2022 10:24 AM PST

    I want to make a game. A pretty big (bigger than what I did before) game focused on physics, aesthetics, and exploration.

    It's currently my first year at college. Obviously, the university will give me a lot of useful knowledge.

    On the other hand, I don't really want to wait for too long.

    I've already tried to start it during school (3 times), it turned out to be a disaster.

    P. S. I believe the question might make you angry, sorry.

    submitted by /u/stevegamer_
    [link] [comments]

    Viable Tech Stack for a Browser Text Based Persistent MMO

    Posted: 03 Mar 2022 07:56 AM PST

    HI! First, thanks for reading, it will be a bit lengthy. Second, thanks for any feedback!

    Goal: A Browser Text Based Persistent MMO

    • Browser: I want this game to run in the browser, preferably be mobile friendly as well. (More on this later)
    • Text Based: This game will not have any 3d aspects to it, it will be purely text based, like Torn
    • Persistent: There are aspects to the game that will require some sort of automation, cron jobs, or scheduled events, every 5 minutes. (maybe obvious, but I just want to cover all my bases)
    • MMO: I guess this one is probably obvious.

    Me: I am a Sr Backend Web developer, and probably somewhere near a mid level fullstack developer, I am weak on front end and UI design. My typical tech stack is PHP, Angular, Angular Material, MySQL, and FileMaker.

    Current State: Researching.

    I started out thinking I would just build the game with PHP, Angular, Angular Material, and MySQL. Some of the biggest drawbacks are web sockets with PHP, and I am not too fond of the idea of setting up a bunch of cron jobs to run the same PHP script every 5 minutes.

    After doing a ton of research, and building the basic part of the game in a few different tech stacks and game design software, ie unity, I am now sitting on two options.

    Go with what I know: PHP, Angular, Angular Material, MySQL

    Or use Firebase with Ionic, Angular, Firebase's no SQL database systems, and their functions to effectively run the backend and persistent portion of the game.

    After exploring Firebase and the options it provides, I started thinking it could be cool to build this game as and iOS and Android app as well as a web application, Ionic also lends itself to this end goal more than Angular Material from what I have seen so far.

    Obviously I have decided against all of the major game design software such as unity and defold etc, since they all focus so much on 2d and 3d, they would just be too much overhead for what I am trying to accomplish.

    So my question is this: Are there any major pros or cons that I have missed? Is the Firebase route really as good as it looks, or should I stick with what I know and muddle through the parts that PHP just does not handle well? Or even, a better tech stack that I have not thought of/found yet?

    submitted by /u/EllenburgWeb
    [link] [comments]

    Question about Valve Networking Guide and movement

    Posted: 03 Mar 2022 10:07 AM PST

    I'm working on my first multiplayer game with client-server architecture, following the Source Multiplayer Networking guide closely. There is one part I was surprised at that I'd like to double check:

    "The client creates user commands from sampling input devices with the same tick rate that the server is running with. "

    Is it true that input is only sampled ~66 times a second in these games, and won't that feel sluggish for people on high refresh rates that are used to single player games? Thanks.

    submitted by /u/caffeineCS
    [link] [comments]

    How to improve this noise texture?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2022 07:48 AM PST

    Hello all!

    This isn't specifically game development, but I know that this sub will have plenty of advice on using noise textures in shaders. So I'm using Unity to implement a black hole renderer using compute shaders, and I've gotten just about as far as I can get using just the math and physics, and now I need to add a bit of an artistic hand to improve the look of it, and I could use some guidance.

    For the accretion disc of the black hole, I currently just have a Perlin noise texture stretched around the disc, as you can see in my progress photos here.

    There's two problems. First of all, there's a seam at the back edge of the texture since the noise isn't periodic, I'm guessing I'll need to find a library with a periodic noise function instead? Or maybe there's a way to transform non-periodic noise into periodic noise?

    Secondly, how can I make the texture look a bit more... textured, like big clouds of cosmic gas? Some examples of how other people do it are this NASA visualization, although it looks a bit smooth and simple, or the holy grail of relativity simulations, from the movie Interstellar, but it seems like they ran some sort of particle or volumetric simulation to get the cloudy look they have. How can I improve the look of mine? Should I layer up the Perlin noise? Are there other interesting strategies?

    Thanks for any guidance!

    submitted by /u/Sholloway
    [link] [comments]

    How to come up with a working and yet affordable game design?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2022 09:58 AM PST

    So, I'm a programmer, I made a working prototype with all core mechanics and now it's time to start making models, environment, etc. The game has quite a serious tone and is quite violent, so it would benefit of realistic graphics. I can use Blender well, but I'm a one man with a life and one such model can take a few days, which is just too much. And low poly style is pretty hard to nail despite it's simplicity.

    I'm thinking of something like SuperHot. It's very close to my game and yet has very simple graphics which work with the game's tone

    submitted by /u/Vefery
    [link] [comments]

    Steamworks, can't refrence the depot in a package;

    Posted: 03 Mar 2022 09:49 AM PST

    Hey, so i am uploading my game to steam, and it says that i need to refrence the depot by a a package, but i don't know how to do that, and the official steamworks tutorial doesn't show it here's a link to the photo of the problem, since i ‏‏‎ can't publish one on this sub: https://imgur.com/a/qYSF0mg

    submitted by /u/Dull_Hunt_640
    [link] [comments]

    Best software for 3D Simulations?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2022 07:26 AM PST

    Hi, I'm looking for a way to visualize algorithms like Separating Axis Theorem and so on. Is there a quick and easy software to achieve this?

    I learn a lot of geometry calculations recently but no way to visualize them, current method involve looking through numbers and imagine if my code is correct. I was hoping if I could use game engines for this since they come with 3D features.

    I also looking to compile it out as a runnable exe to show other people when I'm sharing what I learnt to them.

    submitted by /u/AtlasCurio
    [link] [comments]

    Game Map(noob)

    Posted: 03 Mar 2022 09:30 AM PST

    Hiya all, so I'm super new to game development and am probably biting off more than I can chew atm but I wanted to make games for a long time now and have finally decided to learn. Currently taking courses for unity to learn C# as well as other aspects.

    With that out of the way, I wanted to work on making the terrain using real-world heightmaps and essentially have an exact replica of the UK. I've seen people using Cities: Skylines map generator to grab small sections of heightmap data but doesn't seem very efficient considering the size.

    Is there a better way to do this? or should I give up and just make custom terrain?

    thank you!

    submitted by /u/Maddi_LM
    [link] [comments]

    Is this actually possible? Boolean-cut shaders - [C# XNA/MonoGame]

    Posted: 03 Mar 2022 09:26 AM PST

    I've been using C# XNA/MonoGame for ages at this point, it's what I'm most comfortable using. But, I've only been developing 2D shit, and now I'm finally moving into 3D. The thing is, there's not a lot of documentation for C# XNA/MonoGame like there is for Unity, and from what I've read, MonoGame doesn't support geometry/tessellation shaders. I'm pretty new to shaders in general, so I don't even know if this applies to what I want to accomplish, but I'm guessing it does. If I'm wrong, please let me know.

    Here's a video demonstrating what I want to accomplish. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yECDO_l00rs

    If someone has any experience with boolean-cut shaders, C# XNA/MonoGame, or both, I would really appreciate your input. I would love to continue using what I'm already using, and I don't want to make the change to Unity/Unreal Engine, but I will if I have to.

    Thanks!

    EDIT: Am I completely in the wrong here? Should this not be a shader at all, but an operation to directly update the mesh itself?

    submitted by /u/ipf000
    [link] [comments]

    Feeling a little frustrated in my company

    Posted: 03 Mar 2022 09:17 AM PST

    Hello!

    I'm a graphic designer and I have questions:

    When you starting a project or presenting it to a publisher, do you do a market study taking into account the target audience? their behavior, trends in countries, ages...

    I feel a little frustrated in my company because I have worked in the advertising world and I know how important is to establish that type of information when creating a product, but I feel that in my office everyone is carried away by only references to other games and trends but without any numbers or statistics. I try to say it but my arguments are easily rejected because they have been in the video game sector for longer than I have and I can understand it but it seems strange to me that such important choices are made just because "it works for X company" (a very millionaire company )

    We are growing slowly but we don't have a profitable game at the moment.

    Is it as important as I think or do I really not understand anything about the sector?

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/CocoaDove
    [link] [comments]

    Using PlayFab to host your Multiplayer Game? Use these 5 tips to go faster!

    Posted: 03 Mar 2022 06:43 AM PST

    Marketing Stats and post-mortems! Does anyone have any links to some good data reports?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2022 06:01 AM PST

    Our game is getting closer and closer to completion and it's about the time to start looking at ways of gathering a fanbase and potential buyers. For the sake of gearing up for the marketing/hype train the first step that came to mind would be to collate a number of post-mortems and try to make a statistical analysis of the best approaches moving forward, but it struck me that some savvy folks on here have probably beaten me to it for their own games and the pre-release..

    I was wondering if anyone could possibly point me in the directions of such an article or stat sheet on this sub or anywhere else?

    Maybe talking about which platform they had the best/worst experiences with, pitfalls they ran into, wins, failures..sales figures after release, evidence of current trends in marketing they were able to take advantage of, techniques they tried to go viral etc. Much appreciated in advance!

    submitted by /u/Evil-Kris
    [link] [comments]

    Marathon Jam hosted by r/SoloDevelopment is starting soon!

    Posted: 03 Mar 2022 11:42 AM PST

    hey r/gamedev! it's your friendly neighborhood game devs over at r/SoloDevelopment

    We're a small community of devs with a game jam coming up to help stay motivation on your main projects.

    You can find all of the jam's info here

    THEME

    There is no theme, just work on your game!

    RULES

    There are no rules! (just make sure you legally own any assets that are you're using). you don't have to be a SoloDev to participate

    RANKING

    You will get an opportunity to judge other people's submissions but this is more of a means for feedback rather than an actual competition.

    CRITERIA

    Innovation – The unexpected. Things in a unique combination, or something so different it's notable. Fun – How much you enjoy playing a game. Did you look up at the clock, and found it was 5 hours later?

    FUN – How much you enjoy playing a game. Did you look up at the clock, and found it was 5 hours later?

    GRAPHICS – How good the game looks, or how effective the visual style is. Nice artwork, excellent generated or geometric graphics, charming programmer art, etc.

    AUDIO– How good the game sounds, or how effective the sound design is. A catchy soundtrack, suitable sound effects gave the look, voiceovers, etc.

    POLISH- How polished your game is.

    PROGRESS- This is field is more so for fun but will still be added to the ranking. How much progress did you make on your game during this jam (add to the optional fields when submitting your game for a higher score in this field)

    OVERALL– Your overall opinion of the game, in every aspect important to you.

    We have a couple of prizes available. They're mainly roles in our community and a hall of fame but the greatest prize of all is progressing/completing your game!

    Discord

    submitted by /u/PracticalNPC
    [link] [comments]

    Animal Health system in Unreal Engine

    Posted: 03 Mar 2022 10:30 AM PST

    How do you create a check if words are spelled correctly in game maker 2

    Posted: 03 Mar 2022 01:21 AM PST

    I want to create a game like bookworm adventures but im having trouble thinking of ways game maker can check if the word is usable

    Is there a line of code that checks if spelling of the word is correct?

    Because the solution i thought of was to make a huge list of variables that contains every word in the dictionary, and just pull from that whether the word is usable.

    But that definitely seems like the brute force method of doing things.

    submitted by /u/Whole-One7485
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment