• Breaking News

    Friday, February 18, 2022

    Feedback Friday #481 - Easy Access

    Feedback Friday #481 - Easy Access


    Feedback Friday #481 - Easy Access

    Posted: 17 Feb 2022 09:28 PM PST

    FEEDBACK FRIDAY #481

    Well it's Friday here so lets play each others games, be nice and constructive and have fun! keep up with devs on twitter and get involved!

    Post your games/demos/builds and give each other feedback!

    Feedback Friday Rules:

    Suggestion: As a generally courtesy, you should try to check out a person's game if they have left feedback on your game. If you are leaving feedback on another person's game, it may be helpful to leave a link to your post (if you have posted your game for feedback) at the end of your comment so they can easily find your game.

    -Post a link to a playable version of your game or demo

    -Do NOT link to screenshots or videos! The emphasis of FF is on testing and feedback, not on graphics! Screenshot Saturday is the better choice for your awesome screenshots and videos!

    -Promote good feedback! Try to avoid posting one line responses like "I liked it!" because that is NOT feedback!

    -Upvote those who provide good feedback!

    -Comments using URL shorteners may get auto-removed by reddit, so we recommend not using them.

    Previous Weeks: All

    submitted by /u/Sexual_Lettuce
    [link] [comments]

    Steam won’t save the un-checked adult content box on the mature content survey in steamworks.

    Posted: 18 Feb 2022 11:25 AM PST

    Hi so basically, while I was editing stuff for my game on steamworks, I checked the adult only content box in the mature content survey. But now I decided that I wanted to remove all mature adult content in my game and when I came back to uncheck the box in the survey, when I click the save button nothing happens. I tried it multiple times but clicking save just doesn't do anything. It saves normally when I try editing the description of the mature content but it won't save when I try to uncheck the adult only content box, what's happening?

    submitted by /u/LepyPepy
    [link] [comments]

    TIL - you cannot loop MP3 files seamlessly.

    Posted: 18 Feb 2022 12:05 PM PST

    I bought my first sound library today, and I was reading their "tips for game developers" readme and I learned:

    2) MP3 files cannot loop seamlessly. The MP3 compression algorithm adds small amounts of silence into the start and end of the file. Always use PCM (.wav) or Vorbis (.ogg) files when dealing with looping audio. Most commercial game engines don't use MP3 compression, however it is something to be aware of when dealing with audio files from other sources.

    I had been using MP3s for everything, including looping audio.

    submitted by /u/midge
    [link] [comments]

    In the spirit of transparency, I'd like to share with the community some steam stats, specifically how my YT devlogs influence my game's wishlists. I hope you find the info useful.

    Posted: 18 Feb 2022 05:37 AM PST

    The game development tools I use. How about everybody else?

    Posted: 18 Feb 2022 12:15 PM PST

    Software security for installable single player games?

    Posted: 18 Feb 2022 11:19 AM PST

    For game developers, what are the main security concerns when building downloadable/installable single player games? Not where users can hack something for infinite lives or infinite money in your game, but where malicious actors can cause real harm. Are video games a vector for these kinds of attacks?

    submitted by /u/mshiltonj
    [link] [comments]

    Share your proudest moment as a game dev with us?

    Posted: 18 Feb 2022 11:31 AM PST

    Back in 2015 when my first game got the greenlight on steam, I remember seeing and reading the email that it had been greenlit, I was so stoked.

    submitted by /u/motherhub
    [link] [comments]

    Should I delay my game?

    Posted: 18 Feb 2022 09:01 AM PST

    Hello! I am the developer of the upcoming roguelite game, Neon Sundown. It's a fast paced top down action game similar to that of other games in the genre like Nova Drift and Vampire Survivors.

    I have been planning to release the game on February 25th, and I'm still on track to do so. However, I noticed that Elden Ring is releasing the same day a few hours before me, so now I'm unsure of if I should delay it a week or two.

    My first game on Steam called Vectorio has gotten around 50,000 downloads, and has a small dedicated audience to it. I've already advertised Neon Sundown to them, and it now has just over 500 wishlists. I know this isn't a lot, and so my plan was to contact a long list of streamers who usually cover roguelites or indie games and give them early access to the game 4-5 days before launch.

    So, now I'm not sure if I should continue with that plan, or delay the game a couple weeks. I feel it might be hard for the game to gain traction if it's releasing only a few hours after one of the highest anticipated games of the year releases, especially if part of my marketing plan is to be contacting streamers. But on the other hand, the game is in a completely different genre, and the streamers I'm planning to contact are most likely not interested in Elden Ring, or at the very least won't cover it.

    Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I am still new to gamedev so I'm not sure on what to do.

    submitted by /u/killazwithaz
    [link] [comments]

    LLC Liability - Does it matter whose name is on the contract?

    Posted: 18 Feb 2022 10:29 AM PST

    Hey folks, setting up my steam account for a game release. Steam support says they recommend single member LLC's just give them legal name and SSN for the paperwork and use the LLC name for public documentation. Would this not open me up to liability as it's me getting paid from steam? I would assume the LLC's bank account needs to be the one on the paperwork to benefit from LLC protection. Can anyone speak on this from experience?

    submitted by /u/theth1rdchild
    [link] [comments]

    Exposure for indie devs, devs looking for player feedback

    Posted: 18 Feb 2022 10:26 AM PST

    Hi all! Vimlark is a streamer with 14K followers on twitch! On Fridays he plays games submitted by his followers and provides feedback. At 12pm PST he's going to be playing my first project

    https://laurenmorgan.itch.io/daggertoss

    I'm really proud of my progress so far, if anyone is interested in playing the game for themselves you can click the link above.

    I thought I would share here because I think streams like this are a good resource for game dev students or anyone who's struggling to get unbiased feedback on their work :)

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/Realm_of_Games
    [link] [comments]

    Novice Solo Dev: Learning with mini games???

    Posted: 18 Feb 2022 05:49 AM PST

    So I would consider myself a novice game dev, but I am working on my dream game. I've put it on a 3-5 year plan to release to alpha while I work a real job.

    Yesterday at work I was feeling a bit like Sisyphus working on projects that will never really end. So I started thinking, how do I get that feeling of accomplishment while working on a project that will take years for release.

    I'm thinking about building and releasing mini-games. Simple 1-2 element games that I can build in 2-4 weeks. Look at something from my list that I need to learn for my game and figure out a game to focus on that feature.

    The real trick is coming up with games that are simple and have these elements.

    submitted by /u/Ben_Stark
    [link] [comments]

    Hosting a small game jam on itch.io

    Posted: 18 Feb 2022 08:43 AM PST

    Our discord server hosts a small annual game jam for fun, and bragging rights, and I'd like to extend to the invitation to other devs who might enjoy it. The theme is usually abstract enough to not restrict the genre of game you make, but specific enough to impact the mechanics you would choose.

    If you're interested check out the Fireside Jam on itch. 👍

    submitted by /u/HelperWesley
    [link] [comments]

    What should we know about fonts?

    Posted: 17 Feb 2022 12:30 PM PST

    I've realised this is a highly neglected area for game development. No one ever seems to discuss this here. I'm sure you're all familiar with horrible, default fonts everywhere in games. This while there are large collections of fonts available for free from Google.

    But with such a large selection, comes the dilemma of which ones to use, where, and how. Serif vs sans. Why are there so many different ones? What's mono? Should we use the same font consistently, everywhere? Are some fonts obsolete, yet still widely used, for example fonts that worked better on standard definition screens or print media?

    Has anyone given this any thought? Read up on anything useful? What have you learnt?

    submitted by /u/altmorty
    [link] [comments]

    Making your player's feet stay on the floor in UE4

    Posted: 17 Feb 2022 10:55 PM PST

    I achieved this by making an animation for uphill, downhill and level ground, then using a blend space to blend between them depending on the angle of the floor. It seems to work well, but I was wondering if there is another way that may have other advantages?

    https://reddit.com/link/svbidb/video/5zyzky9jhji81/player

    submitted by /u/thekarl182
    [link] [comments]

    How do voice actors prefer to work?

    Posted: 17 Feb 2022 05:19 PM PST

    I'm planning to use voice actors in my game but I have no experience with this or their process so I have questions:

    -do voice actors often work in isolation, not actually hearing the other side of the conversation while they perform their lines?

    -I assume it would be better for voice actors to be able to hear each other and play off each other's performance, but how do you facilitate that especially if they live in different places?

    -can I count on voice actors to have their own setup for recording quality sound?

    -do voice actors create many small audio files or do they read entire sections of a script in one large take?

    -any advice for me since I don't know what I'm getting myself into?

    submitted by /u/nosleepjf
    [link] [comments]

    Give unreal some competition!

    Posted: 17 Feb 2022 05:42 PM PST

    I know a few indie game devs who are using Godot to build and it's come a long way. This new version looks insanely realistic! Godot 4.0 is going to give unreal engine a run for its money! The barrier of entry for gaming is basically gone. Anyone can now create amazing-looking games on par with the big boys. I cant wait to see what comes next!

    https://youtu.be/tgK_pFdjFRA

    submitted by /u/incohearence
    [link] [comments]

    Paul Hellquist was the lead designer of BioShock, SWAT 4 and a director in the Borderlands games! Paul reflects on all these titles in this fun video interview. He discuses how the games were developed, key inspirations and what it was like working with Ken Levine.

    Posted: 18 Feb 2022 09:43 AM PST

    Free Opensource Professional GPU Powered Procedural Terrain Generation & Texturing Tool Massive Update(TerraForge3D)

    Posted: 18 Feb 2022 01:24 AM PST

    Free Opensource Professional GPU Powered Procedural Terrain Generation & Texturing Tool Massive Update(TerraForge3D)

    TerraForge3D Showcase

    Get in now : https://github.com/Jaysmito101/TerraForge3D/

    Please give some feedback if possible of your experience with TerraForge3D! Also if you face any problem at all feel free to ask.

    submitted by /u/Beginning-Safe4282
    [link] [comments]

    What's lacking in today's MMORPG?

    Posted: 17 Feb 2022 11:12 PM PST

    Most of the MMORPGs all have the very same concept: character stats, leveling, mini/mid/big boss, hunting rare items, equipment refinement, item storage, etc etc.

    But in your opinion, what is lacking in MMORPG to make it better or less boring like most of the MMORPGs? Another way to ask this is that, if you are going to develop a new MMORPG, how do you make it outstanding compare to other MMORPGs?

    submitted by /u/KopiCat79
    [link] [comments]

    Why protect offline games from cheat engine and memory manipulation?

    Posted: 18 Feb 2022 12:37 PM PST

    I understand doing this if the game has online features, rankings etc. But in general what sense is there to stop people from playing around with the values of the game? I see many games doing this, sometimes going extreme lengths to make it impossible to change values and I can't see why you would do this.

    Should I try to stop people from manipulating my games? Is there an actual reason to do that in purely offline sandbox games?

    submitted by /u/Sky-is-here
    [link] [comments]

    How to update Unity navmesh with procedurally generated tiles at runtime?

    Posted: 18 Feb 2022 12:32 PM PST

    I'm attempting to create an "endless" procedural world from tiles, that are essentially planes of ~100 x 100 filled with procedurally-generated obstacles.

    Currently, if I have the tiles generated at design-time, I can run the Unity navmesh baker in the editor, to generate a single navmesh of however many tiles I have at design-time. Alternatively, if I generate X tiles at run-time (e.g., based on the player's position), I can regenerate the entire navmesh based on those X tiles. However, as the player moves, I'd want to unload some tiles and load others, so that there are only a certain number of loaded tiles around the player.

    I've tried to incrementally create a NavMeshData for each tile at run-time, which works, but I had trouble connecting the navmeshes together. I experimented with NavMeshLinkData, which sort of worked, but it caused the agents to teleport from one side of an edge of a tile to the other side of the edge on the neighboring tile.

    My question: is regenerating the entire navmesh at runtime the way to go so that my agents have a seamless path across tiles, or is there a way I can create "links" in each tile's navmesh that isn't a teleport, but is a seamless connection of navmesh polygons?

    submitted by /u/AllisonLiem
    [link] [comments]

    Animated gifs on Steam Store "About This Game" sections - different approaches seem viable, but should a small indie choose one over another?

    Posted: 18 Feb 2022 02:36 AM PST

    There always seem to be strong opinions about the number of animated gifs used on Steam Store pages' "ABOUT THIS GAME" sections. I've had friends say there should be more, and others say fewer, so it got me thinking.
    Just looking at 3 examples here of excellent games that have all done really well, and they have quite different takes on the store page:

    Subnautica: Below Zero has no animated gifs or pictures in this section, but instead a detailed section about each of what would probably otherwise be a feature list.

    Deep Rock Galactic has one animated gif at the top showing a little gameplay and the words WECOME, NEW MINER!, and then a static artistic image at the bottom of the section. Again, no feature list but rather a section of headings with more info about each one.

    Valheim has one animated gif per heading section, so a total of 3, followed by a list of the features with slightly fewer details than in the former examples.

    All three are admittedly rather different games, but I'm really intrigued to find out your thoughts - especially if you're an indie dev who's published to steam. What worked best for you? Would you advise one of these approaches specifically for indies?

    submitted by /u/Roobubba
    [link] [comments]

    Pixel-Perfect camera dimension preferences / best-practices? 320x180 vs 426x240

    Posted: 18 Feb 2022 08:17 AM PST

    Hey all 🖐️ I've recently made the early development trailer for my first game public: Trailer Link ; and received one bit of immediate actionable feedback regarding the zoom level. It seemed too zoomed in 😅. I can definitely see that point being valid, and updated my camera dimensions accordingly.

    Here's the problem, because I'm using a pixel-perfect camera plugin (targeting 16:9 resolution), I only have a few specific default dimensions to work with: 320x180 and 426x240. 320x180 was used in the trailer, but I'm starting to think 426x240 seems a bit too zoomed out. Are there any best practices that I may be unaware of as a new game dev that I can fall back on here (if it helps, the game will be an rpg with overworld mechanics similar to gen 5 or earlier pokemon games), and do you have any preferences?

    submitted by /u/daemontale
    [link] [comments]

    Curious.....

    Posted: 18 Feb 2022 12:00 PM PST

    I love to play games and make them, obviously, but I have a friend who doesn't know how to code or doesn't have any experience of even trying one, but he has made a quick simulation text-based game on excel or Google sheets, I forgot, lol. Obviously, I am proud, but does the whole gaming community consider that a game or kind of or not even at all considering it?

    submitted by /u/Crazy-Ad3981
    [link] [comments]

    How to add files to a system folder from Unity in the persistentDataPath?

    Posted: 18 Feb 2022 08:01 AM PST

    Hello,

    I am programming a project in Unity. In the main menu, there is a 'Help' button that opens a HTML file using the persistentDataPath, so that it can be opened on any PC that has the HTML file at the end of said path, but it only works if you manually input the HTML at the end of the data path, which is a problem when launching the program on different PCs.

    Is there a way you can write a C# script to put the HTML file at the end of persistentDataPath from Unity so that if it isn't there already it gets loaded there automatically so that you don't have to manually put it into the end of the data path?

    public void Help() { if (!File.Exists(Application.persistentDataPath + "/HTML.html")) { Debug.Log("File not present"); } else { Application.OpenURL(Application.persistentDataPath + "/HTML.html"); } } 

    What I currently have.

    submitted by /u/Slaviverse
    [link] [comments]

    A Mini-Devlog on how I Improved my Enemy AI

    Posted: 18 Feb 2022 05:28 AM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment