• Breaking News

    Monday, February 28, 2022

    Alcatel One Touch Easy (with CSS, no images) web developers

    Alcatel One Touch Easy (with CSS, no images) web developers


    Alcatel One Touch Easy (with CSS, no images)

    Posted: 27 Feb 2022 07:13 PM PST

    Best in-depth tutorial on flexbox for a beginner?

    Posted: 27 Feb 2022 01:42 PM PST

    Flexbox is a big thing to learn, but I get lost in it. Is there an in-depth tutorial on them that is beginner-friendly that you recommend?

    submitted by /u/CozyMountain
    [link] [comments]

    Searched a domain name on 123-reg.co.uk and on route53. Both reported it as available. Checked again today, and it was registered yesterday. Coincidence?

    Posted: 27 Feb 2022 12:10 PM PST

    Are they registering domains that people are searching for? Is this legal?

    submitted by /u/Ralen_Hlaalo
    [link] [comments]

    In your opinion, what is the best way to get data from a relational database to the front end?

    Posted: 27 Feb 2022 09:35 PM PST

    Hi everyone! Sorry if this is a dumb question.. I am a beginner when it comes to development. I'm trying to think of the most efficient and safest way to send data from the database to the front end. I want to build it in a way that a user of the website couldn't have full access to the database by simply using dev tools, but I can easily retrieve whatever data I need from the database as a developer.

    What's the best way to get this done? Thank you!

    submitted by /u/SweatyShirtlessMan
    [link] [comments]

    I missed the whole jQuery/bootstrap cycle. Should I get on it now ?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2022 03:05 AM PST

    Am currently doing MERN. Past projects were done using vanilla is (not the library). Current project has no immediate requirements. Have definitely glanced under the hood of jQuery and the earliest pure css bootstrap. How relevant is it now ?

    submitted by /u/DesiBail
    [link] [comments]

    What's the easiest way to block all connections from Russia hitting my sites?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2022 05:23 AM PST

    Cpanel. Htaccess file, WordPress plug-ins? Let me know, thanks!

    submitted by /u/Chaotic_Apollo
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for sites which provides challanges to solve HTML and CSS

    Posted: 27 Feb 2022 06:24 AM PST

    Hi All,

    I am studying web-devlopment. Have learnt HTML and CSS and now have started with CSS Bootstrap Framework.

    There are sites like HackerRank and LeetCode to which has problems/challanges which helps one to practice and become better at coding..

    I am looking for something similar but for HTML and CSS which provides different challanges

    It would be very helpful if someone could provide information for such platforms.

    Thanks, Anime_fan_21

    submitted by /u/Anime_fan_21
    [link] [comments]

    Approach or framework for building a super simple static landing page?

    Posted: 27 Feb 2022 11:28 PM PST

    If I'm just building a simple static landing page with some pictures, information, and call-to-action buttons without any changing or dynamic content, and infrequent edits, is there any approach or framework or static site generator that might be worth reaching for without bloating things too much?

    Normally I always reach for React + Tailwind, but React seems like way overkill for this, even though I enjoy using it (Tailwind would seem to work since it just ships the necessary css though). Obviously vanilla HTML and CSS (and maybe JS) are the other big option for something this simple, but there's so many fun tools out there, it always seems like a waste building something totally from scratch.

    I haven't really dabbled with static site generators much but might one work to just spit out a trimmed down page like this, and is there any advantage to that? Maybe giving me some template in case I have to make multiple similar pages in the future?

    I dunno, I'm just thinking out loud here. But wondering if anyone would reach for any of these fancy tools if building something this simple.

    submitted by /u/badsalad
    [link] [comments]

    Cloud computing platform: where to start?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2022 12:38 AM PST

    Hi Redditors! I'm new at dev. Actually, I'm a experienced but tired building architect that is looking for a new career. I'm fiercely studying front end languages and tools for web dev (and loving it) and I started looking for some back end knowledge. Which cloud computing platform do You guys think it's better for me to start from? Azure, AWS, GCP or another? I prefer a platform that is going to let me enter a job than a easy one. Any advices?

    submitted by /u/fatcatbasterd
    [link] [comments]

    what is the easiest way to hide your API key on github?

    Posted: 27 Feb 2022 08:46 AM PST

    is there any easy way to hide the API key on open source project on GitHub ?

    submitted by /u/m7md4you
    [link] [comments]

    Hosting uploaded images- how to avoid common pitfalls?

    Posted: 27 Feb 2022 07:10 PM PST

    I get the feeling that once you open up your app/site to allow uploads by your users, you've got a lot of things to keep track of.

    • Are the images legal to exist?
    • Are the images legal to be hosted on your network?
    • Are the files safe to store on your server/S3 and then distribute to other users?
    • How do you moderate uploaded content?
    • How to do you store uploaded content safely, securely, and cheaply?
    • If your app earns money, does the presence of unlicensed/insecure images threaten your revenue stream?

    This may be a stupid question, but is it worth even having the images hosted locally? Could I direct the user to imgur or some other image hosting site and then store the URL from the upload to that site? Would the user see a substantial difference in performance/security/ease of use (apart from the obvious additional step of uploading to another site)?

    submitted by /u/SublimeSupernova
    [link] [comments]

    What are the best practices for structuring content in your CMS?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2022 03:53 AM PST

    I am working on a front-end SPA, and want to pull data from a headless CMS. What are the best practices for structuring the content in the CMS? Is there a good workflow to follow to structure the content in the CMS?

    For example, if I am making an e-commerce store, is it best to arrange the content in pages?

    Each page could contain a reference to a different section (hero banner, call to action, blog, etc)?

    Thank you for any tips or guidance.

    submitted by /u/indymoguler
    [link] [comments]

    I built a web application to visualize global conflict news on a map

    Posted: 27 Feb 2022 12:33 PM PST

    Scared of serious software development

    Posted: 28 Feb 2022 03:05 AM PST

    Slightly long post. I'm shit scared of development.

    I worked in the industry in roles with limited exposure to full stack development. My last job was as an ML engineer where we used to play with data, create ML models, write microservises to host them.

    Now I've joined a PhD program which requires me to build a (relatively small) web application. Last time I did this thing was long before angular or react came and people were moving towards building layouts with DIVs instead of TABLEs.

    Backend doesn't seem to be so hard as I can use a simple database ORM and expose API using flask but then I'm sure CORS issue will come to trouble me - I still don't understand any of it. I'm anyways going to keep some distance from docker in the beginning. I'm re-learning frontend development and focussing on finally learning a framework (possibly react, after trying and failing with angular). I've to build a LMS type system with different roles with some elements specific to my research goals. This will be used in production after 3-4 months and I feel a serious time-crunch and looks like I'm either too old to learn the newer technologies or I lack the mental capability or energy. I've bought a couple of courses, finished them 20-30% and by then the new content that builds over the previous topics becomes overwhelming.

    Rant over. I've posted this on a couple of other subs as well but I guess this sub is more relevant. I appreciate any words of advice or motivation.

    submitted by /u/aladinmothertrucker
    [link] [comments]

    What would you do if you were pretty good at webdev, needed to make $2k in the next month, but didn't have the work experience, or the mental health to hold a regular job?

    Posted: 26 Feb 2022 11:50 PM PST

    Hey guys! I'm in a pretty bad situation in life, I need to start making money quickly.

    My problem is that I'm suffering from extremely bad insomnia and a debilitating brain fog 60% of the time, which makes it impossible for me to hold a regular job. I'm feeling fine for a few hours per day, but it's entirely unpredictable when my brain will break and refuse to function. It's not somethig doctors were able to diagnose and to fix (at least not the ones I'm able afford).

    Despite that, I have managed to get a Master's degree in CS (graduated with distinction from the University of Birmingham), and I feel like I'm getting pretty good at full-stack webdev (Node, React/Redux, Next.js, Prisma, a bit of experience with Apollo/GraphQL), and I think my portfolio is looking pretty good (please let me know if there's anything I can do to improve it).

    But I have no work experience (I've been dealing with my sickness for many years and mostly failing to live a functional human life), and I have almost no control over my schedule, I can't know in advance when I'll be too sick to do things.

    I think I can get things done despite my problems, but what employer will want a person incapable of doing 9 to 5?

    I'm working on a few little side projects that I'm hoping will start making money at some point (I can work on my own projects whenever I'm feeling ok), but this won't happen fast enough - I have enough money to cover my rent/food for the next couple of months, but if I don't find a way to make about $2k/mo by then, I'm screwed.

    My best bet is probably to somehow find clients/gigs on my own and do the kinds of jobs I can do by myself, asynchronously, remotely, without very strict deadlines, but that's where I'm stuck, I don't know how to do this.

    Do you have any tips/advice for me? If you were me, how would you go about finding a job that can be very flexible and accomodating to my healh situation, or finding work from home gigs that I can complete on my own?

    submitted by /u/lumenwrites
    [link] [comments]

    Freelancers, where do you host customers websites?

    Posted: 27 Feb 2022 02:50 AM PST

    So what platform do you use for hosting static websites? How much does it cost? How much do you take monthly from customer for maintenance?

    And also, if you're building ecommerce app with something like shopify, where do you then host website?

    EDIT: If you deploy any other type of website, you can also tell where do you host it.

    submitted by /u/DynieK2k
    [link] [comments]

    Introducing comiCSS

    Posted: 28 Feb 2022 12:53 AM PST

    How do you deal with new job offers while you are still working?

    Posted: 27 Feb 2022 10:41 PM PST

    Hi,

    I started my first full-time role as a Software engineer last month. During this period, I have received at least two job offers each week. Before that, it was almost one per month.

    I know these companies that have reached out to me would offer me more than I'm currently getting. But the thing is how do I deal with them? Should I straightaway say "No" or give an interview even though I know I won't join them because it's been only a month at my new job?

    Or how can I use these to my advantage and get pay raise at my current company?

    I'm pretty sure people in this subreddit can share their experiences.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/ravgeet
    [link] [comments]

    How to set up backend locally for frontend developers?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2022 04:37 AM PST

    A front-end developer is joining me on a project. To help them get started working, I need to set up the backend on their local machine, which is inconvenient because there's python Django, PostgreSQL, and Redis.

    I've never worked in a dev team so I'm not sure how companies do this.

    Is there a more convenient way of setting up?

    submitted by /u/micky04
    [link] [comments]

    Where do you get website design ideas?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2022 04:22 AM PST

    Being a dev that works on hobby projects, I found figuring out the design the hardest part for myself. Is there any particular site you use for getting a concrete website design reference, like color scheme and font-scale?

    I am not talking about something like Pinterest that will gives you part of the story only, as I don't have the design sense to figure the rest by myself

    submitted by /u/hksparrowboy
    [link] [comments]

    How to design the database of a blog/cms to have nested categories (using strapi)?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2022 04:21 AM PST

    I created a simple note-taking system for myself which I have been using for about a year (I'm using strapi). Though I'm sure this goes beyond technology-specific, is there a design pattern?

    At the moment the main relation is "NoteCategories has and belongs to many Notes"

    Then in the frontend, I just create a nested menu by looping through categories and getting the note titles within it.

    **Basically I want something like VS Code (nested folder)

    <ul> <li>NoteCategory <ul> <li>Related note title</li> </ul> </li> </ul>

    I want to be able to end up with this:

    <ul> <li>NoteCategory <ul> <li>Related note title</li> <li>Note Sub Category <ul> <li>Related note title</li> <li>Note Sub Category</li> </ul> </li> </ul> </li> </ul>

    (Bonus: I'm using react, is there a package/css-framework that builds a functional sidebar menu like VS Code and the like)

    submitted by /u/gate18
    [link] [comments]

    A free real-time dashboard about the russian invasion of Ukraine

    Posted: 28 Feb 2022 03:53 AM PST

    How to best generate a PDF out of a webpage (inlcuding tables and charts)?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2022 03:36 AM PST

    On my wordpress website, I have to implement an option for the user to download a specific webpage as a PDF. Next to regular text and images, those pages also contain charts and data tables generated by a JavaScript library.

    What would be the best option for this case? Does anyone have a recommendation?

    submitted by /u/Sessaly
    [link] [comments]

    Any good twitter account to follow ?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2022 03:36 AM PST

    I'm 'new' to twitter. Would like to know what are the good/trendy accounts to follow in the IT/wed dev community ?

    Thanks !

    submitted by /u/code_matter
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment