• Breaking News

    Tuesday, February 1, 2022

    3,000 free sign ups for the "Automate the Boring Stuff with Python" online course learn programming

    3,000 free sign ups for the "Automate the Boring Stuff with Python" online course learn programming


    3,000 free sign ups for the "Automate the Boring Stuff with Python" online course

    Posted: 31 Jan 2022 02:06 PM PST

    Please read this first.

    Udemy has changed their policy to restrict the number of sign ups I can offer. I used to be able to offer unlimited sign ups for 3 days, and could do this twice a month. However, now they've limited it to 1,000 sign ups total, which I can do twice. I can use one code from January and then two for February. You get lifetime access to the course with a sign up, but please only sign up if you have a reasonable expectation that you'll eventually finish the course (it's 10 hours across 50 videos). Otherwise, leave it for someone else. I'll repeat this every month. I'll delete this post after all the sign up codes are used up.

    Current link: https://www.udemy.com/course/automate/?couponCode=FEB2022FREE or https://www.udemy.com/course/automate/?couponCode=FEB2022FREE2

    Current status: 13 hours in, and I've created FEB2022FREE and FEB2022FREE2 codes with 1,000 sign ups each. The January codes are exhausted.

    Normally the course is available for about $18 through this link.

    Please read this before posting questions:

    • This course is in Python for complete beginners with no programming experience.
    • This course follows the content of the first edition of Automate the Boring Stuff with Python. You can read the second edition of the book for free at https://automatetheboringstuff.com/
    • You can either use this as the first step to becoming a software engineer or even simply an office worker who knows how to code and write automation scripts.
    • The first 15 of the 50 videos (ten hours content in total) is free on YouTube.
    • Signing up gives you lifetime access to the material and you can complete it at your own pace.
    • I'll update the Udemy course for the second edition "one day". All Udemy course students will automatically get the updated videos when they become available.
    • It's totally fine to start on the first edition and then read the second edition later. I'll be writing a blog post to guide first edition readers to the parts of the second edition they should read.
    • I wrote a blog post to cover what's new in the second edition
    • You're not too old to learn to code. You don't need to be "good at math" to be good at coding.
    • Signing up is the first step. Actually finishing the course is the next. :) There are several ways to get/stay motivated. I suggest getting a "gym buddy" to learn with. Check out /r/ProgrammingBuddies
    • There is a second course I'm working on that follows Beyond the Basic Stuff with Python (which you can also read for free online). The first 15 videos are free on YouTube. I don't know when I'll be finished with it.
    submitted by /u/AlSweigart
    [link] [comments]

    Should I push my Fiance into programming?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2022 04:47 AM PST

    I (24F) am a FE Developer of 3 years with a CS Degree. My Fiancé (27M) has been struggling with his career for a few years now since he graduated with a Music Education Degree. He is working an unrelated labor job and teaching on the side and admits he wants more from a career. I softly suggested the idea of WebDev and he was rather passive about it, however he has been paying attention to my job recently and claims to be interested. I am pretty sure it is the $$$ and the WFH situation he likes as he has no programming experience. He is smart, and a more logical thinker than the average person, but not quite my Robot-type brain. I started him on an intro course on Coursera but he didn't finish it due to lack of deadlines and motivation. Do I suggest a bootcamp? Or would that be a terrible idea? I have to admit I am tempted by the idea of another Developer Salary coming into our marriage, but I do not want to be blinded by money and make him miserable. He is motivated by success, and I know he will put the work in, I just wonder if anyone can succeed in this field if it wasn't their original idea. What should I do?

    submitted by /u/Mysterious_Bet_6856
    [link] [comments]

    Friendly reminder: Programming can be very hard on your eyes, and solutions aren't one-size-fits-all. Experiment to see what works for you.

    Posted: 31 Jan 2022 11:47 AM PST

    I've been programming for quite a while now, in many different environments. Like probably most of you, I had everything on a super dark theme and never considered experimenting.

    Well, I recently moved to a new office, and for some reason I started getting incredibly annoying headaches and nausea. I pretty quickly figured out that eye strain was the cause here, but what took me months to figure out was that my eyes weren't strained because of too much light like I thought, they were strained because I wasn't getting enough light.

    I was plagued with this situation until I noticed something: I got nauseous when in my text editor, but not when I was browsing Reddit or playing videogames. Both of the aforementioned have very bright, contrasting themes. I decided to try this out on VSC, and I felt like for the first time since I moved where I worked, I could breathe and see.

    There are a lot of memes about the best fonts and the best themes to use, but if you're going to be spending hours upon hours each day in a text editor, afford yourself the courtesy of experimenting and figuring out what works best for you, and what makes you as productive and comfortable as possible. There is no theme or style that will work for everyone, and even if something works for you now there is no guarantee that it will keep being the best option forever.

    Edit: Also, get up more often. Every couple of minutes, go drink some water or pet your dog if you work from home. Sit up straight, your posture is probably terrible. Take care of yourself.

    submitted by /u/-Reddit_Account-
    [link] [comments]

    Just graduated with a Bachelors in Computer Science and have no idea what to do

    Posted: 31 Jan 2022 10:26 PM PST

    Hey everyone, this is my first post on this sub.

    I've come at somewhat of a roadblock. I just graduated from my university with a Bachelors in Computer Science and have come to accept the fact that my programming skills are not up to par to what a Computer Science graduate should be at. I understand that this might not be saying much and others can make the argument that there is so much more to learn in the field than what a university can provide. I wasn't always like this, at the start of my programming journey, I was highly motivated and had a decent working knowledge of C++. But as of right now, my programming skills are no better than a beginner learning how to program for the first time and to be quite honest, I'm embarrassed.

    Since I graduated this past Fall semester, I have been trying to figure out many things such as:

    What language should I use for coding interviews?

    How long will it be until I understand a language enough to land a job?

    Should I relearn C++ or try and pick up an easy to learn language like Python?

    Will relearning C++ take too much of my time?

    Will learning Python take too much time?

    And so on...

    It's been a rough month or so, mentally. If anyone has any advice on how to get out of this slump, it would be greatly appreciated.

    Thank you in advance

    submitted by /u/bince98
    [link] [comments]

    Is it just my new job or is Agile terrible?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2022 08:08 PM PST

    I recently moved from basically a solo dev to a full blown Agile team and it just seems ridiculous to me.

    We spend HOURS upon HOURS on meetings.

    The daily stand ups aren't too bad (20 minutes) but also never seem productive. But all these other meetings just feel mostly pointless.

    These are all 1-2 hour meetings schedule for every 2 week sprint.

    • Sprint Agenda Prep
    • Release Planning
    • Sprint Review
    • Sprint Retrospective
    • Sprint Planning
    • Production Release

    All this is on top of my non-Agile meetings.

    Is this normal?

    I feel like my entire purpose has shifted from being productive and meaningfully contributing to the success of the company to checking boxes and making sure I sound impressive at the daily standup...

    It all seems to come back to trying to manage the team via metrics which seems like a terrible idea because devs are smart people who are going to figure out how to game a system like this.

    In my old role I accomplished great things. Now I'm just trying to stay awake during meetings and making sure I check off enough story points to keep my boss happy.

    submitted by /u/Yangoose
    [link] [comments]

    Should I learn c# or c++

    Posted: 31 Jan 2022 01:42 PM PST

    So last summer I started playing with both languages following tutorials and stuff for unity and unreal engine but it was all fun and games until it got harder and I wanted to learn one of them first(then idk wth happened and my dumbass decided to stop coding). So now I hope I'll not make the same mistake on learning multiple things so could you help me to decide??(I'll mostly do game dev and please don't be like absolute learn c# I want to learn pros and cons about both)

    submitted by /u/Panos-legendyt
    [link] [comments]

    Can't Code from scratch, is this a learning curve or I suck?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2022 03:34 AM PST

    A bit of information, I'm a Pre-Final Year student studying CS and I'm aspiring to be a Data Analytic but I'm not very good with programming languages. I've done a few projects but I haven't done them from scratch, i followed a youtube tutorial, tried understanding each line of code and improvised alot. But I can't seem to code from scratch. Is this something that everyone goes through or am I just horrible at programming? And if possible can someone give a bit of advice?

    submitted by /u/shreyrastogi
    [link] [comments]

    First day learning vim

    Posted: 31 Jan 2022 03:47 PM PST

    It's kinda hard to me, all I knew before start is ":q"

    The most interesting thing I saw are the modes, insert and visual modes are things that doesn't exist on modern editors.

    Overall I think it's too complicated and the learning curve isn't soft, some ppl say that once you master it, it's an overkill for everything.

    I will keep it up. If I can ...

    submitted by /u/Deep-Jump-803
    [link] [comments]

    I Will start my first internship tomorrow, I don't know what should I do

    Posted: 01 Feb 2022 03:47 AM PST

    Hello,

    Today I got my first internship in an IT/Security company.

    The boss talked with me, he gives me a high overview of the fire detection system, and how the technician does maintenance, The technician fills a form and sends it to the boss, and the boss does something and sends a report to the client.

    I need to create a website to manage this process of maintenance, I don't know where to start, I have 0 experience, what questions I need to ask, what should I learn, where to start, how to plan and design the project... (I will work sole in this project)

    submitted by /u/BarberNo7393
    [link] [comments]

    How to deal with ambiguous(open-ended) lnterview questions?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2022 03:28 AM PST

    In one of my interviews (Intern position) I was asked how would I design an ATM interface. I'm pretty sure I failed this one since I don't know what to talk about and I stuttered. I asked interviewer for specifics but she said there are no wrong answers. Do I answer this with the four pillars of OOP along with which methods I would make? Do I ask questions about how the UI/UX design would look? Do I talk about system design? Security?

    I am just not good at these kinds of questions since I don't know where to start. Any inputs are appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Low_Device_1958
    [link] [comments]

    JSON best practices question

    Posted: 01 Feb 2022 01:31 AM PST

    Hello there!

    As the title suggests I'm asking about some JSON best practices. A Lil background, I'm writing a python console program for Stardew crops and maybe expanding upon it later with a GUI, just a project for fun

    I have never written any JSON and have started looking up videos for it but non go over the do's and donts or just general best practices.

    Is having 1 big JSON file with everything sort of separated by "seasons" better, or is it acceptable to have multiple JSON files say 1 for each crop season?

    Sorry if I gave to much backstory, didn't know if it'll be useful for some :/

    submitted by /u/MangoChocobo
    [link] [comments]

    Programming languages: which does what?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2022 02:47 PM PST

    Hey guys!

    So currently, I'm looking to learn coding but I don't know which language should I start with and what are the practical applications for each language. Hope you could help shedding some lights to this matter for me. TIA!

    Cheers!

    submitted by /u/RealityHelpful5768
    [link] [comments]

    Nested if statements vs. and if statements

    Posted: 31 Jan 2022 11:09 PM PST

    I'm wondering if there is an efficiency difference between:

    if a: if b: x + y 

    and

    if a && if b: x + y 

    I know that logic-wise, they are asking the same thing, but I'm wondering if the check stops in the second statement if condition a is not met or if both a and b are always checked regardless.

    I'm working on a simple game that will run a check 60 times a second. While it shouldn't affect the performance of the simple game in any measurable way, I'm looking to write the code as efficiently as I can. To me, the second would be less confusing and one line shorter, so it would be my preferred method if it is just as efficient.

    Also, I'm newly back to programming and this is my first time posting here, so I hope my post is clear and following guidelines. Thanks in advance for your help.

    submitted by /u/CuencaGuy
    [link] [comments]

    Aspiring self-taught programmer: I made a curriculum for myself and I'd like some feedback on it

    Posted: 31 Jan 2022 02:42 AM PST

    First post ever!

    I've been perusing this subreddit for quite a while now, lurking, and sadly postponing the day that I come on here and ask for help for my code. Being stuck with impostor syndrome and then battling my anxiety and some depression really put a dampen on my plans.

    But no more! I researched a lot online and took many learnings here from up-and-coming self-taught programmers and came up with this (rough) curriculum. Below is my tentative list of subjects:

    1. Python - How to Think Like a Computer Scientist
    2. Data Structures and Algorithms in Python
    3. Responsive Web Design - freecodecamp course
    4. JavaScript Algorithms and Data Structures - freecodecamp course
    5. SQL - Danny Ma, Data with Danny

    A lot of this was taken from this blog post: A complete guide to becoming a self-taught programmer from beginner to developer. | by Sanjay Priyadarshi | Tech x Talent | Medium

    As an aside, I work as a podcast assistant, specifically about data science, so I'm eager to know the best path to take to be knowledgeable in this field so I can relate to a lot of the high-level topics, as well as rub shoulders with a lot of executives and thought leaders we feature on the show. My client recommended that I focus on learning SQL.

    I want to know your thoughts. Am I doing too much? Too little?

    submitted by /u/rrennnV
    [link] [comments]

    Odin Project Supplements?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2022 07:19 PM PST

    I often see that The Odin Project is a fantastic resource but shouldn't be your only resource in order to become job ready. My question is, at what point should I be looking elsewhere? As I have very limited time during the day, I don't want to take away from time I should be focusing on TOP. Currently about done with the foundations course.

    submitted by /u/poopadydoopady
    [link] [comments]

    Flask error, cant show answer("POST /application/app.py HTTP/1.1" 404 ), app and index attached

    Posted: 01 Feb 2022 03:32 AM PST

    ```

    from flask import Flask, redirect, render_template, request

    app = Flask(__name__)

    u/app.route('/', methods = ['POST', 'GET'])

    def bsdk():

    slope = ''

    if request.method=='POST' and 'X1' in request.form and 'Y1' in request.form and 'X2' in request.form and 'Y2' in request.form:

    x1=float(request.form.get('X1'))

    y1=float(request.form.get('Y1'))

    x2=float(request.form.get('X2'))

    y2=float(request.form.get('Y1'))

    slope=((y2-y1)/(x2-x1))

    return render_template('index.html',slope=slope)

    ```

    ```

    <html>

    <body>

    <form action="/application/app.py" method="post">

    X1

    <input type="number" name="X1"><br>

    Y1

    <input type="number" name="Y1"><br>

    X2

    <input type="number" name="X2"><br>

    Y2

    <input type="number" name="Y2"><br>

    <button type="submit" value="submit">bsdk</button>

    </form>

    {%if slope%}

    <p>the gradient of this line is {{slope}}</p>

    {%endif%}

    </body>

    </html>

    ```

    submitted by /u/BLACKxxMAMBA
    [link] [comments]

    [Javascript] How to deal with delayed dropdown form?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2022 03:28 AM PST

    I have a cascading address dropdown form which changes city, parish, streets etc. available in the dropdowns depending on what previous dropdowns you choose.

    Pretty much all of them work mostly fine except there is sometimes like a 1-2 second delay where if you click the next dropdown you see the previous values before it loads in the new ones and for the biggest city in my country which has a lot of options to load in it can take like 5 seconds for each dropdown to load the new values in.

    How do I deal with this? Is there some things I should check that could improve performance or is it possible to somehow disable selection until everything loads in and only then allow the user to choose the next dropdown?

    submitted by /u/Zenithixv
    [link] [comments]

    launch.json issue

    Posted: 01 Feb 2022 03:17 AM PST

    Hello, i need help with my vscode. everytime i try to run a program an error pops up "launch program does not exist" and then it asks me to cancel the execution or open launch.json I've searched online and i couldn't find help, somebody please come to the rescue of this beginner /\

    submitted by /u/notrequiredbleh
    [link] [comments]

    I can't decide what I should do.

    Posted: 01 Feb 2022 02:48 AM PST

    A little bit of background, I'm a junior Frontend web dev and have been working in a company since April 2021. I think I'm okay at my job. But ever since I joined this company, I stopped working on any personal projects and increasing my web dev skills. Basically I just learned whatever my job required, and nothing more, there's still a lot of things I need to learn, like NextJs, VueJs etc for example.

    So I have decided to code for 2 hours in the morning before the job, problem is that I'm really tempted to start learning C. I want to get into stuff like C,C++,Rust etc. I'm kinda bored of learning web dev related things because I'm already doing it at work.

    So I can't decide if I should listen to my heart and learn C and the like and make some personal projects or if I should try to learn more web dev related topics in those 2 hours because that might be better for my career?

    submitted by /u/pixelemerge
    [link] [comments]

    How to get over "Paralysis from analysis" when coding in C++?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2022 02:34 AM PST

    I got a new job as a C++/Qt front-end developer and after a few pull requests being constantly rejected because I implemented the feature the "wrong way", I've started having a bad case of "Paralysis from analysis" whenever trying to code simple features.

    I get comments on my PRs like:

    • I'm doing unnecessary copying by not utilizing move-semantics, perfect forwarding, not using a reference or shared pointer.
    • I'm trying to outsmart the compiler by using move semantics which the compiler will optimize for you
    • Not using forward declare to reduce compile time or the PIMPL pattern, etc.
    • No Virtual destructors
    • Not leveraging Rule of Zero
    • Didn't do Const correctness
    • Could've used templates
    • Missing inline/explicit keywords
    • Using exceptions when it's considered bad practice
    • RAII, etc

    You get the point.

    I feel like no matter what you do in C++, you're doing it wrong. Mixing this with trying to learn the huge Qt framework is also not helping.

    Coming from Python background I felt like I could get things done way faster without having to worry about too much about doing things "the wrong way" or the "gotchas".

    How can I get over my Paralysis from analysis?

    This isn't meant to be a C++ bad, Python good post. I genuinely just want to get better at C++. I also realize that this is also just inexperience since I'm still junior Software engineer.

    submitted by /u/Tolvu-Taetari
    [link] [comments]

    Ruby- pls reply need advice

    Posted: 01 Feb 2022 02:10 AM PST

    is Ruby still used widely?? and how long will it take for me to master it?

    submitted by /u/zuzutonene
    [link] [comments]

    Do you always need an async function to handle promise-based callback URLs? Can there be non-promise-based callback URLs?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2022 01:51 AM PST

    I was watching a fireship video on setting up an endpoint for a user to use when making a payment: https://youtu.be/MbqSMgMAzxU?t=341

    At the indicated timestamp, he says "make the callback an async function, because the stripe SDK is promise based".

    app.post('/checkout', async (req, res) => { const session = await stripe.checkout.sessions.create({ mode: 'subscription', }); res.send(session); }); 

    The terminology of it is a bit confusing to me as I'm not too familiar with backend development. In the above scenario, what would happen if the callback was not an async function?

    submitted by /u/Lostwhispers05
    [link] [comments]

    What should I know?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2022 01:30 AM PST

    Everyone says smth about basic cpp, but what does basic cpp includes? And what should I learn after?

    submitted by /u/citruseggplant
    [link] [comments]

    Accredited University Bootcamps vs. Bootcamp Services

    Posted: 31 Jan 2022 12:03 PM PST

    Does anyone have any experience in bootcamps from accredited/standard universities (Berkeley Extension, U. of Washington) as opposed to other types of bootcamps (Coding Dojo, Lambda, etc.)?

    I'm looking for a career change and have found programming to be something I'm excited about. From reading reviews on Reddit and from others, the bootcamp services seem to inflate their stats and generally aren't a good use of money and time. Is this true for the majority of bootcamps and I should attend a community college? Or do people have experience with university styled bootcamps?

    Thanks for any and all opinions!

    submitted by /u/lilmiquelasuperstan
    [link] [comments]

    stuck on assignment/project

    Posted: 31 Jan 2022 08:29 PM PST

    I can not understand why my project is not coming together. It seems like the h2 goes beyond the div element and defining percentages as widths isn't going to do. Here is what I need to do:

    https://github.com/jhu-ep-coursera/fullstack-course4/blob/master/assignments/assignment2/Assignment-2.md

    Here is what I've been able to do:

    https://caedda.github.io/Module-2-Solution/

    As you can see, My boxes aren't actually even and when I minimize the screen the widths of the boxes aren't properly spaced. Is the h2 not in the normal document flow? I can not understand what I am doing wrong.

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/Substantial_Meat1145
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment