• Breaking News

    Thursday, December 2, 2021

    Advent Of Code 2021 has started learn programming

    Advent Of Code 2021 has started learn programming


    Advent Of Code 2021 has started

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 11:17 PM PST

    To everybody who wants to have some practice and challenge:

    This years "Advent Of Code" has commenced. It offers daily puzzles until the 25th December.

    The puzzles are always 2 part where the second part is revealed after the first part has been solved.

    The puzzles can be done in any programming language.

    Every day at 00:00 EST (06:00 CET) the new puzzle is unlocked.

    /r/adventofcode exists as sister subreddit to the site and for help and ideas.

    Have fun and happy coding!

    Edit: I have created a private leaderboard that can be used for this subreddit - code 109809-64f869a6

    submitted by /u/desrtfx
    [link] [comments]

    Will I make it as a dev if I hate HTML and CSS but love JS?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2021 08:50 AM PST

    I am currently learning web dev but I do far I am not having a great time with html and CSS. No matter how much I practice with it, the structure of the html and getting the right styling for css just boggles my mind. However I am having so much fun learning and working with JS. It's so interesting and learning new things motivates me to keep going.

    However I can't shake this feeling in the back of my mind that it's not enough. That I need to learn html and css or else I'll be stuck even if I get better at JS. Someone told me to learn back end but don't I need to know front end to learn back end?

    Im just really confused and lost that it's kinda making me lose motivation since I feel I shouldn't progress before learning HTML and CSS.

    submitted by /u/CucciGang_
    [link] [comments]

    I want to change the world, but how?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2021 06:29 AM PST

    Hey guys. I've been programming for a while now and I've reached the point where I'm tired of learning new tips and techniques, and instead just want to create things, day in and day out. I've been wanting to do this for a while now, and I think I'm ready. I want to create my very own Libraries/Frameworks (and maybe even a Programming Language in the future). What I need right now is ideas. There are honestly so many programming languages, libraries and frameworks out there that it's really hard to think of a good idea. Any suggestions?

    EDIT: I just want to thank everyone for being so nice. The hell I've been through on StackOverflow all of these years has really been indescribable. So this feeling of acceptance is really appreciated (even though my question might seem stupid to some)!

    submitted by /u/ApprehensiveFoot82
    [link] [comments]

    Announcing (more!) Free Programming Bootcamps

    Posted: 02 Dec 2021 08:34 AM PST

    Hello again! I was here a few months ago to talk about a free programming bootcamp I ran, based on freeCodeCamp's web design certification. We had almost 8k learners join us and learned so much together.

    Because there was a lot of ongoing demand, we're running more (free, always free) bootcamps in Jan. But this time we've condensed the program so it's more intensive (6 weeks instead of 12) and added a JavaScript track.

    If you're completely new to development, the web design course would be the best place to start. If you already know HTML and CSS, join us for the JS course. We don't recommend trying to do both courses at once, as the JavaScript course builds on your web design knowledge. Don't worry if the livestream times don't work for you, we'll switch them around in future cohorts and videos are always available on-demand.

    Just like last time, it's all completely free. Cohort based forums will let you chat to your fellow learners and we'll go over lesson material in livestreams. We'll also have guests shared between the bootcamps to help offer more real world context for what you're learning.

    More info, enrollments, etc

    As always, happy to answer any questions you might have.

    submitted by /u/jesslynnrose
    [link] [comments]

    I want to be a programmer but have no motivation/discipline to learn

    Posted: 01 Dec 2021 12:41 PM PST

    It will be 2 years since I started to learn Java and I can't count how many times I had a breaks which mostly resulted in forgetting what I learned. I tried to do some projects which I never finished. I tried to learn some frameworks but with no success.

    Still, at the end of the day I dream to work as a programmer. What is wrong with me?

    submitted by /u/koci53z
    [link] [comments]

    How will learning multiple technologies affect your growth as a software developer?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2021 04:41 AM PST

    For context, I'm currently a front-end developer using react. I already know full-stack development with technologies like MongoDB, Node, Redis, React, Next, Redux, and more. I'm planning to learn svelte, flutter, and even rust. The problem is that I'm not an expert with any of the technologies that I'm using right now and my question is: Should I just focus on getting better with my current tech stack or should I learn other technologies while working?

    submitted by /u/labadcloyd
    [link] [comments]

    favorite coding font

    Posted: 02 Dec 2021 09:25 AM PST

    What's the font that's the apple of your coding eye?

    submitted by /u/Medical-Indication31
    [link] [comments]

    How do you find energy for coding after work?

    Posted: 01 Dec 2021 04:35 PM PST

    I work from 8 AM to 4 PM, a job that's some combination of administrative office work and sales, focusing on foreign clients. The job can be very stressful at times. Commute is around half an hour.

    I arrive home very tired around 4:40 PM.

    I find it very difficult to code on work days. Maximum that I achieved was around 2 hours, but very rarely. Typically if I do one full hour, it's a success. (But I'm not satisfied with this).

    This is because I'm sleepy and my concentration is poor. When I eat I'm even sleepier.

    Sometimes I take a nap, drink a coffee afterwards... It can give me energy for one to two hours max. But it has side effects that it keeps me awake longer even if I don't have any more energy and concentration for coding. So I go to sleep late. Go to work sleep deprived... and it's a vicious cycle that keeps going.

    If I skip coffee on the other hand, I can go to bed earlier and be less sleep deprived, but I'm quite sluggish and slow.

    Weekends are much, much better. On weekends I can easily do 4-5 hours each day. Which is what I typically do.

    But I feel weekends alone are not enough to make a significant progress.

    And all summed, I kind of have no life. Week is just working and struggling to code. Weekend is coding and making up for what I wasn't able to do during the work week.

    How about you? Do you have a secret recipe for finding energy for coding after work?

    submitted by /u/hn-mc
    [link] [comments]

    Web development confusing me so much and I hate it

    Posted: 02 Dec 2021 07:49 AM PST

    So, Im on a education rn where I work 8 weeks and then have like 2 weeks of school. Rn we do like javascript, css and html extensions. I literally dont understand anything. Everything is so weird. html classes, ids...

    I like to design websites but I just hate those weird ass keywords. I prefer java, c, c# over everything that has to do with web dev.

    submitted by /u/Limp-Performance-856
    [link] [comments]

    How important is your github to an employer?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2021 11:44 AM PST

    I have many projects just don't post them yet into Github. The interviewer asked to see my github to do some work and do a "pull" request. I have zero work except for like one silly project. How worried should I be if I sent my github and it has a silly project from a year ago on it?

    submitted by /u/throwaway0134hdj
    [link] [comments]

    I'm getting stuck in tutorial hell..

    Posted: 02 Dec 2021 03:34 AM PST

    My goal is to become a frontend developer/engineer as my first job asap so I can take it easy with my learning to become full-stack instead of doing everything all at once while I'm working full-time. (Currently working from when I wake to when I sleep because I am a career changer).

    Background:

    I started with The Odin Project, I completed the Foundations track and being on the Full-Stack Javascript path I'm too frustrated with their approach to continue. I don't like how the course is structured and how they leave things out intentionally (or only teach it later on) because it causes a lot of frustration when trying to do their projects. I also don't like the articles their method of sending you to 6 different places to learn. Following TOP I've learned how to do things but not the why of it all.

    Because of this frustration I did freecodecamp's responsive web design section and I've gone through some of their JavaScript as revision and to expand on what TOP has taught me so far.

    Now I'm considering doing a codecademy or Udemy course to learn because I have realized that FCC does not cover topics as in depth as I would like and they don't teach critical elements of web development such as the DOM, setting up development environment, developer tools and so on.

    Considering that my goal is to become a frontend developer (HTML CSS JS React AJAX/JSON/API's etc) what do you think I should do? I'm thinking of buying either the Angela Yu or Colt Steele bootcamp course.

    Extra Info:

    I have a good grasp of basic HTML CSS (Flexbox especially) and basics of JS and DOM, I'm only starting to learn about objects, object constructors, factory functions and modules.

    submitted by /u/lamlathrowaway
    [link] [comments]

    I tried Advent of Code and I'm stuck on Pt1 :( The solutions make no sense to me...can someone explain please

    Posted: 02 Dec 2021 03:31 AM PST

    https://www.reddit.com/r/adventofcode/comments/r66vow/2021_day_1_solutions/ Spoiler just in case I get in trouble No-one even has the list of numbers in their code, that I can see.

    Here is mine, no point really as I couldn't figure out how to use an array to count the number of increases but anyway... my_list = [list of numbers given] print(my_list[0]) import numpy as np my_array = np.array(["my_list"])

    I was just following google results really, eg googled how to count number of increases in code etc, it said do an array.

    Maybe I just don't have the brain for this, I'm doing a degree in computing as I love everything computers and tech, I love tinkering but I just don't seem to be able to get my head around computer logic. Like, how are people able to get the answer without inputting the values? I have ADHD, so I do this high expectation thing a lot, and also find it hard to grasp concepts.

    Sorry for the whine. And thank you for reading

    submitted by /u/N0ra_R0ra
    [link] [comments]

    How to handle not being the best developer?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2021 07:04 AM PST

    I'm a bit of an older cs grad because I went back and changed careers. Im about 6 months into my first job as a developer. As a student I had a 3.9 GPA, so I know I'm capable. I felt like I was starting to make progress in my position until we hired a very young person who is an absolute whiz at everything. He codes faster and better than anything I've seen before and he's far better than everyone on the team.. I can't imagine getting that good at my current level of investment. Whenever my boss assigns us to something he completes it in an instant and if I do something he improves it, basically rewritting the whole thing. I'm not at all offended because I know he's just doing what he's good at, but I've lost my courage to do anything. What should I do?

    submitted by /u/Dramatic-Ad-3440
    [link] [comments]

    Help with a simple programing code (Python)

    Posted: 02 Dec 2021 06:56 AM PST

    Hi!

    I am stuck on a assignment where i will be using a Hashtable. But when i call the def get(self, word) function in the class does it count "self" as a variable, what am i doing wrong?

    Please help.....

    Link for the code:

    https://pastebin.com/x4VQTFyJ

    submitted by /u/Effective_Landscape7
    [link] [comments]

    IDE recomendation

    Posted: 02 Dec 2021 12:07 PM PST

    I am a student and currently learning C, and will learn some other languages like c++,java, and C# later during my degree.

    I am currently looking for an IDE to use for C. I am plannng to use an text editor for learning and IDE for working effciently.I have tried VS but it seems like it has limited support for C. Eclipse seems slow? I do have access to Clion, is that a good IDE?. Would also appreciate IDE recommendations for the other languages aswell.

    submitted by /u/jakimoh777
    [link] [comments]

    torch.nn.modules.activation.ReLU is not a Module subclass

    Posted: 02 Dec 2021 11:00 AM PST

    I'm trying to build and train a neural network using PyTorch. My Neural Network is a class that takes in n, the number of layers, and s_l, the number of nodes in each layer. Upon training this network, I get the following error: torch.nn.modules.activation.ReLU is not a Module subclass.

    Here is what I have:

    import torch import numpy as np import scipy.io from torch import nn from torch import optim class NeuralNetwork(nn.Module): def __init__(self, n, s_l): super(NeuralNetwork, self).__init__() self.flatten = nn.Flatten() layers = [] for i in range(n-1): layers.append(nn.Linear(s_l[i], s_l[i+1])) layers.append(nn.ReLU) self.linear_relu_stack = nn.Sequential(*layers) def forward(self, x): return self.linear_relu_stack(x) def main(): mat = scipy.io.loadmat('dataset.mat') print(mat) net = NeuralNetwork(3, [2, 2, 2]) optimizer = optim.SGD(net.parameters(), lr=0.01, momentum=0.9) loss = nn.CrossEntropyLoss() X_trn = mat.get('X_trn') y_trn = mat.get('y_trn') for i in range(2): for j in range(len(X_trn)): optimizer.zero_grad() x_train_tensor = torch.from_numpy(np.asarray(X_trn[j])) pred = net(x_train_tensor) label = torch.from_numpy(np.asarray([np.asarray(y_trn[j])])) loss_val = loss(pred, label) loss_val.backward() optimizer.step() if __name__ == "__main__": main() 

    The issue seems to be caused by the following line: self.linear_relu_stack = nn.Sequential(*layers)

    Does anyone know what is going wrong and how I can fix it? Thanks.

    submitted by /u/HeadTea9880
    [link] [comments]

    How to lead a programming project in my university?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2021 12:18 PM PST

    Last time I was the leader of a programming group project, I just did the whole project by myself instead assigning work to each person cause I felt that was easier. And now again I'm the leader of a web development project (to create a Portfolio website) in my university and I have no idea how to assign a task to each person and how to prepare a roadmap of the project. Can anyone advice on how to proceed?

    submitted by /u/IFoundedApple
    [link] [comments]

    Best method to learn to code with only mobile phone?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2021 08:15 AM PST

    I have a retail job with a lot of dead time, where I am allowed to use my phone, but not my computer. Is it feasible to learn coding on an android phone? Any ide, courses, etc that are mobile friendly? Or advice from any who have done similar would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Glum-Morning2592
    [link] [comments]

    How to better understand programming and assignments

    Posted: 02 Dec 2021 11:46 AM PST

    Hey guys, I hope this is the right spot to ask. If not, please let me know and I will move my post to somewhere else.

    So I started learning programming for 4,5 month ago. Currently learning Java at school. It was a rough start, with 4 different teachers changing every other day and very fast paced classes. I felt like I didn't learn anything because it went so fast. Now 4,5 month into the course, im getting hang of some of it. But because it's been so rough and rocky, it sometimes feels like I've forgotten all I've learned from the start. I google a lot, which I know is normal. But my problem is not understanding code, I can understand it just fine as it is right now, my problem is understanding assignments when given. We have every thursdays assignments and every thursday i feel dumb. It's different assignments like make a class called this and make a method with these parameters or this return type etc. So far so good. But when it sometimes says like "Make an Interface called Something with a method called doSomething() and then 2 more classes that implements that Interface, with method that can do this" then i'm totally lost. Not because I dont know what an Interface is or how to implements it, but I'm lost at the method in the 2 other classes, and how to do it exactly.

    Here's my school example:

    1. Write an Interface called Player with a method called guessANumber. It takes an int as a parameter, that indicates what the maximum number you can guess is. Example, if we call the variabel int max, then we can make a guess between 1 and max. The method returns an int , which is the number the player have guessed.
    2. Write to classes that implements this interface. Human player and robot player. The human player needs to write his guess in the terminal (use Scanner). Robot player will guess with the random method.

    So my problem is.. I know how to make the interface and the abstract method. And I know how to make 2 new classes that implements that interface and that abstract method. But I don't know how to make a method with scanner input (eventhough i've done it before in other assignments) and dont know how to make the computer roll with the random function either. How can I be better at solving assignments like these. Is it by practice? Or is it by random trying different things? Or is there a easy way for me to start somehow. Like a special pattern to follow. Any help, tips, books, advice or anything is much appreciated. I really want to be good at programming, and I'm really trying my best. Both with different assignments, tutorials on YT or CodeCademy etc.

    Sorry for the long potato post.

    submitted by /u/UnusualMarzipan6
    [link] [comments]

    use c++ in godot

    Posted: 02 Dec 2021 04:49 AM PST

    hi, i know that i can use c++ in unreal engine, but unreal engine is too complex for a solo developer like me. So i will choose godot, but in this game engine can i use c++ like ue ?

    submitted by /u/demartinux
    [link] [comments]

    Learning CSS, spending a week on Grid? Overkill?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2021 10:35 AM PST

    I've been doing FreeCodeCamp and already passed the grid portion but I feel like it could be useful to take a deep dive on CSS Grid to learn it much better/deeper

    What do you think of this approach to learning coding in general?

    Meaning that you take extra time on stuff to get a good handle on it instead of just moving along

    Maybe this is stupid because it would just take forever to actually get anywhere? (looking to become decent at CSS so I can move to JS)

    submitted by /u/r0zned
    [link] [comments]

    Why is build in functions a generally better choice?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2021 09:59 AM PST

    Gonna take a C# example since that is what I am currently working with (I am a beginner at C# though). I have a 'IEnumberable<string> str' filled with random strings. If I make something like:

    var ret; foreach (var s in str) { ret += s; } return ret; 

    It uses much longer time then:

    return string.Concat(str); 

    Why is this exactly? I understand that a loop is expensive, and that build in functions is generally better to use, but I don't understand why. What does the build in function do so different to be so better?

    Sorry if this is posted wrong, just say so and I will delete it. In advance, thanks.

    submitted by /u/Troll_McThrowaway
    [link] [comments]

    First programming interview as the interviewer

    Posted: 02 Dec 2021 09:34 AM PST

    After some years and many interviews as the inverviewed person, I got the opportunity to be on the other side of the table for the first time.

    It will be a technical interview in which I will test the candidates python knowledge and domain knowledge. I will be supported by my senior colleague, I believe that he will take the lead...

    We already took a look at the candidates CV and wow, a PhD holder! I have less qualifications and less experience than the candidate and this is making me a bit unease... I have written down my script of questions and intend to stick with it. In my opinion, he is enough qualified for the job so I am not sure what will I do in this interview. However, the candidate has a mental disorder which i still don't know more details about... and there is the question, can we collaborate with a person with such peculiar personality?

    As the first interview in my career I cannot stop wondering how this will go. I hope my senior colleague will take the lead and support me because i don't feel technically qualified at all to interview a PhD holder. Maybe this post is beyond learn programming topics, but I have feeling that I could get some tips around here.... or maybe I'm wrong and I should post this somewhere else. Thanks anyways!

    Edit: the assessment of the candidates personality was done by my manager who used the very same expression "peculiar personality"

    Tldr; I will interview a phd holder regarding python and other topics, and I'm not sure how to handle the situation. Tips needed.

    submitted by /u/bernasIST
    [link] [comments]

    Will a CIS degree be worth it?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2021 01:12 PM PST

    Quick recap on my situation: -currently 24 (about to be 25) -have one year of my supply chain degree left that I will be finishing no matter what -decided this year that I'm interested in programming and have been self-teaching Java (too early to say if I have the patience to successfully do this, but good so far) -I originally wanted to do a double major adding CS, I have asked about it a couple of times here with mixed opinions, it would add another 3-4 years of college, time is the bigger issue for me rather than money

    Now I've been thinking about CIS, which based on what I've researched so far is kind of a meme degree around here. At my school they teach you the basics of a few languages (python, JS, Java, HTML, CSS) so it seems it could be beneficial. Going this route would add another year of college, so I would be 26 about to turn 27 (maybe sooner depending on my course load). This seems like a good middle-ground since I would be getting some formal education but in a shorter amount of time

    Is this worth doing? Again, I'm not worried about the cost and more worried about getting into the field before 30. I also want to make sure I have a good grasp on computer science as well as some kind of credential to make getting a job easier.

    submitted by /u/amphetaminedaydream
    [link] [comments]

    Any ideas for things I can do in my down time at work to continue working on my programming skills?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2021 01:02 PM PST

    Some days I can have many hours of not doing anything. I'd like to fill that time with something productive and coding has been an interest lately. I've tried a couple coding apps like Programming Hub and Code Gym but I don't particularly like being on my phone that much.

    submitted by /u/WelcomeBackBucket
    [link] [comments]

    What is a practical use case for generators/iterators over loop?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2021 04:14 AM PST

    What is a practical use case for generators/iterators over loop in javascript? I have yet to find one.

    submitted by /u/Head_Watercress_6260
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment