• Breaking News

    Sunday, October 31, 2021

    I built futurecoder: a 100% free and interactive course for complete beginners learn programming

    I built futurecoder: a 100% free and interactive course for complete beginners learn programming


    I built futurecoder: a 100% free and interactive course for complete beginners

    Posted: 31 Oct 2021 08:40 AM PDT

    Website: https://futurecoder.io/

    Source code: https://github.com/alexmojaki/futurecoder

    Highlights:

    • 100% free and open source, no ads or paid content.
    • No account required at any point. You can start instantly.
      • (You can create an account if you want to save your progress online and across devices. Your email is only used for password resets. You can sign up separately for email updates on the home page)
    • Runs in the browser using Pyodide. No servers. Stores user data in firebase.
    • 3 integrated debuggers can be started with one click to show what your code is doing in different ways.
    • Enhanced tracebacks make errors easy to understand.
    • Useful for anyone: You can have the above without having to look at the course. IDE mode gives you an instant scratchpad to write and debug code similar to repl.it.
    • Completely interactive course: run code at every step which is checked automatically, keeping you engaged and learning by doing.
    • Makes learning easy, not frustrating with plenty of gentle guidance and optional help the whole way:
      • Hints: every exercise has many small optional hints to give you just the information you need to figure it out and no more.
      • Solutions: when the hints run out and you're still stuck, there are 2 ways to gradually reveal a solution so you can still apply your mind and make progress.
      • Advice for common mistakes: customised linting for beginners and exercise-specific checks to keep you on track.

    I'm obviously biased but I honestly think futurecoder is better than Codecademy or any other similar website, without even counting the fact that it's free. For example, here are some drawbacks of Codecademy:

    • Still on Python 3.6 instead of 3.9
    • No interactive shell/REPL/console
    • No debuggers
    • Basic error tracebacks not suitable for beginners
    • No stdin, i.e. no input() so you can't write interactive programs, and no pdb.
    • No gradual guidance when you're stuck. You can get one big hint, then the full solution in one go. This is not effective for learners having difficulty.

    Unless you're looking for something targeted at children, I believe this is the best way for any complete beginner to start learning programming. That's obviously a bold and subjective statement so I'm keen to hear other opinions and feedback. What do you think futurecoder needs? Videos? Quizzes? Gamification? These are all possibilities.

    submitted by /u/alexmojaki
    [link] [comments]

    Should I refuse help from my dad in my programming classes?

    Posted: 31 Oct 2021 01:32 AM PDT

    I am a CS major in my senior year, and have been having trouble in data structures and compiler construction, due to a combination of anxiety, depression, and burnout. To ease my anxiety, my dad, who is a very good programmer, has helped me with my labs and projects. It's never been him just straight him giving me the completed answers, but he does really lead me by the hand.

    I'm feeling really conflicted about this. I feel I shouldnt be using a resource many other students dont have, but my mental health has just been a mess this semester and my motivation has crumbled.

    What should I do, should I just refuse his help and try to do everything by myself? Should I give up on CS?

    submitted by /u/Steven0710
    [link] [comments]

    How do i leave "Tutorial Hell"

    Posted: 31 Oct 2021 09:08 AM PDT

    Hello, i am undergrad economics student with a lot of free time and i wanted to pick up programming.
    I aimed to learn c# for game development, so i picked up a book, with syntax examples and code blocks for them, which gave me basic understanding of syntax, code structure, methods and classes, did not actually improve my coding skills, i think it's called "Tutorial Hell", how do you start practicing?Only website i know of is codewars

    submitted by /u/distrezzza
    [link] [comments]

    Are coding bootcamps worth the price?

    Posted: 31 Oct 2021 04:29 PM PDT

    I am considering paying about $10K for my alma mater's coding bootcamp. It's about 24 weeks since it's part time and seems pretty comprehensive. It's also designed for those who are working full time, so the schedule is pretty convenient.

    My background is almost entirely in finance, although I have intermediate python skills as well.

    Are coding bootcamps worth it for someone who wants a solid complimentary skill (primary skill/knowledge base being finance)? I want my tech skills to be better than most non-developers.

    submitted by /u/raspberrypie007
    [link] [comments]

    23yo looking for advice to start programming as a career

    Posted: 31 Oct 2021 05:30 PM PDT

    Hello. I just lost my job unexpectedly and I'm looking to make my hobby a career. I've got some experience from a few different educational institutions, but no degree. I have enough money to keep on living like I am for maybe two months. Where do I start?

    submitted by /u/KeyboardConnoisseur
    [link] [comments]

    [Java] ISBN Program Help (Again, sorry lol)

    Posted: 31 Oct 2021 07:23 PM PDT

    Hi there everyone, I recently posted about a previous problem with my code. I've run into another issue that I can't seem to figure out. I think it might be a logic error, but I'm not sure.

    The program is supposed to check a 12 digit long string, determine if it's valid, and concatenate the 13 digit on the end. After, it's supposed to ask the user if it's a return or if it's being checked out, and then add it to a count depending on the answer. Then, it will ask the user if they'd like to continue or exit. At the end of each iteration, it should print the counts for books returned, checked out, and total processed.

    The problem is in the main method, where it asks the user whether or not a book is being returned or checked out- it seems to get caught and I'm not sure what's wrong. It won't take any input, even the right ones, and will remain stuck until I terminate the program.

    I'm using Eclipse IDE.

    Here's my code so far:

    import java.util.Scanner; public class Assignment2 { public static void loopProgram() { Scanner scanner = new Scanner(System.in); System.out.print("Enter Y to continue, or N to quit: "); String doesItLoop = scanner.nextLine(); while(!doesItLoop.equals("Y") || !doesItLoop.equals("N")) { System.out.print("Invalid input. Please enter Y to continue, or N to quit: "); doesItLoop = scanner.nextLine(); } if (doesItLoop.equals("N")) { System.exit(0); } if (doesItLoop.equals("Y")) { main(null); } } public static void main(String[] args) { Scanner scanner = new Scanner(System.in); int countR = 0; int countC = 0; int booksprocessed = 0; System.out.println("************************************************"); System.out.println("* Welcome to the Daily Book Inventory Program! *"); System.out.println("************************************************"); System.out.print("Please enter the first 12 digits of an ISBN-13 as a string: "); String isbnNumber = scanner.nextLine(); while(isbnNumber.length() != 12) { System.out.print(isbnNumber + " is an invalid input"); System.out.print("Please enter the first 12 digits of an ISBN-13 as a string: "); isbnNumber = scanner.nextLine(); } if(isbnNumber.length() == 12) { generateISBN(isbnNumber); } System.out.print("Enter 'R' for return or 'C' for check out: "); String bookStatus = scanner.next(); if(bookStatus == "R") { countR++; } else if(bookStatus == "C") { countC++; } else { while(!bookStatus.equals("R") || !bookStatus.equals("C")) { System.out.print("Invalid input. Please enter either R or C: "); bookStatus = scanner.next(); } } booksprocessed++; System.out.println("************************************************"); System.out.println("* Daily Book Inventory *"); System.out.println("************************************************"); System.out.println("Number of books returned: " + countR); System.out.println("Number of books checked out: " + countC); System.out.println("Number of books processed: " + booksprocessed); loopProgram(); } public static void generateISBN(String isbnNumber) { int checksum = 0; for(int i=0;i<isbnNumber.length(); i++) { if(i%2==0) checksum += (isbnNumber.charAt(i) - '0'); else checksum += (isbnNumber.charAt(i)-'0')*3; } checksum = 10 - (checksum%10); // Appending 13th digit into checksum System.out.println("The ISBN-13 number is " + isbnNumber+checksum); return; } } 

    And the section in question:

     System.out.print("Enter 'R' for return or 'C' for check out: "); String bookStatus = scanner.next(); if(bookStatus == "R") { countR++; } else if(bookStatus == "C") { countC++; } else { while(!bookStatus.equals("R") || !bookStatus.equals("C")) { System.out.print("Invalid input. Please enter either R or C: "); bookStatus = scanner.next(); } } booksprocessed++; 

    Thanks in advance!

    EDIT: Solved! Friend saw the post and gave me some feedback. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Soulofshibuya
    [link] [comments]

    [C#] Is there a way to make my Main method non-static?

    Posted: 31 Oct 2021 09:50 PM PDT

    I am working on a project for my computer science class and I have some variables that are in a wrapper (I'm not sure if that's the proper name for them but I'm talking about one of these: public int[] Years { get; set; }). I was able to pass these variables in between my two methods and I want to use these in my Main method but I can only do that if I make it non-static. However if I do that, then I get an error telling me that "Program does not contain a static 'Main' method suitable for an entry point." Is there any sort of work around for this? Both of my methods and the variables I need are all set to public.

    submitted by /u/urmuther112
    [link] [comments]

    How do I stop procrastinating

    Posted: 31 Oct 2021 06:46 AM PDT

    Ok so I've just started my 3rd year at University and I feel like I know nothing. Overall, I'm a good student and my concepts are mostly clear but this COVID break and online classes really made me feel like I haven't learnt anything. Moreover, university doesn't really teach you everything, there's a lot you have to learn on your own. And I just can't. I always end up pushing it to the next day and this continues.

    I recently did a crash course of React where I worked on 5 basic projects and I planned to continue practicing after that but I haven't made much progress. I can't commit to online courses like Udemy or Coursera either because they usually demand 8/9 hours per week and just thinking about it makes me feel like it's too much work. What are some easy ways to learn and practice React, preferably ways that won't require more than 45 mins a day. I'll be graduating in 1.5 year and I really want to build my skill set before I do. I'm a good student and a good programmer, ik if I put my heart and mind to it I can do it, but I need guidance on how to stop procrastinating lol. If there are deadlines I usually follow through like with the crash course. Coursera doesn't have the same feel because you can just reset the deadlines.

    submitted by /u/AttorneyDifficult934
    [link] [comments]

    How does exaclty code is used to create and app or a game? (beginner question)

    Posted: 31 Oct 2021 07:16 PM PDT

    I mean, How is an app made? How is a game made? I know that there are game engines that make things easier to make games but, how was the game engine built? As far as I know, people simply write code on air and it magically turns into softwares, apps and websites. If a program is used to make a program, how was the program that is used to make programs made?

    submitted by /u/Novatonavila
    [link] [comments]

    Those who attempted (or completed) a CS major, did you do enough programming?

    Posted: 31 Oct 2021 06:34 PM PDT

    I know the vast majority of people in the subreddit are doing the self-teaching method. But if you happen to learn CS at a university, and can recall your first 2-3 courses in programming (usually a CS1 course, a CS2 course, and maybe whatever programming you did after that).

    Did you do much programming? Sometimes I hear that students barely did any programming. Some might not even had to get their code to compile and pass basic checks (as a teacher might read it, and see if you made a reasonable attempt even if it doesn't compile).

    How long were your first programs? 100 lines long? How long did it end up being at the end of the first class? 500 lines long?

    Was the purpose to cover concepts (write a simple for loop just to show you can), or was it to do something a bit more complex that required more thinking?

    Could you pass the courses without ever getting a single program to more-or-less work?

    I taught programming many years ago, and due to students getting to 3rd/4th year CS still unable to get programs to compile or do the task, and asking profs. to debug for them, there was an ultimatum to have compiling programs that passed a few basic tests. If the projects were not in that shape when submitted, the project would get a zero. Furthermore, that project had to be resubmitted until it passed basic tests (the zero remained). If any project received a zero (except maybe the last) and was not fixed minimally, you failed the course.

    It was pretty strict, but a reaction to people graduating that still didn't know how to get programs to compile. This had the effect of "weeding out" lots of people, but those who remained at least had some chance of writing code at certain level.

    EDIT: The reason I ask is whether people with a CS degree felt they learned enough program to be a programmer. I know that's pretty vague as you generally write self-contained code, not code written by many people, possibly retired that's poorly documented. And you discover there's more than just coding (deploy, configs, testing, etc)

    submitted by /u/CodeTinkerer
    [link] [comments]

    Who has attempted #100DaysOfCode? What did you study?

    Posted: 31 Oct 2021 01:23 PM PDT

    I am planning to start the 100DaysOfCode challenge soon, I was wondering what people studied when they did the challenge or if not just any suggestions in general that would be good for a junior full stack dev (react/c# primarily at work) of about 6 months to start learning. I'm particularly interested in architectural patterns, if that helps. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

    submitted by /u/OcelotUpstairs4176
    [link] [comments]

    How to rename files in Python without using os.rename()

    Posted: 31 Oct 2021 05:57 PM PDT

    Hey so I'm doing some practice questions for school, and I'm trying to organise a list of images based on their filenames. The problem is that they have to be renamed into a specific format without using os.rename() or any other kind of module/library, so I'm struggling to come up with a function that only uses core Python.

    It's a pretty difficult task at my level already, but I can barely even use google since all the examples I've found online have some sort of external library involved.

    Hope this questions makes sense, but if it doesn't I'd be more than happy to elaborate on it. Thanks in advance!

    Edit: Sorry I forgot to specify that it has to be some form of loop function that can work for a range of images, so like image_1, image_593 etc. Can't use os at all either, not just the rename function.

    submitted by /u/RuggedPuddle
    [link] [comments]

    How to learn to code on my own

    Posted: 31 Oct 2021 08:26 AM PDT

    As the title says, I am a student and learning programing C. But I got low marks and afraid that I am gonna get grade C. The problem is I know the concept and how it work, I can't solve a problem. I know how to code simple one but when it becomes complex one like arranging and combine array and print out. I tried to search Google and I don't get any answer too. Now, I feel like is programing even for me? Can I know tips and tricks on how to study the programing effectively? Next time, I want to get full marks on the quiz. Please help me.

    submitted by /u/Asharafali
    [link] [comments]

    How in the world can you debug a Leetcode problem that has 60+ edge cases?

    Posted: 31 Oct 2021 11:44 PM PDT

    This is going to be both a bit of a request to debug my code and a bit of venting. So I am trying to review how to create and manipulate linked lists in Java in Leetcode here. However, when I submitted my solution, I realized that there are 64 edge cases I need to pass in order to solve the problem successfully. How in the world am I able to do that, especially during an interview? How can I debug my solution when the edge case that breaks my code has something like 40 or 50 something inputs? Where do I even start to debug with an edge case that large?

    In any event, my code that I have so far is pasted below:

    Here is the edge case (see what I mean when I say that I'm overwhelmed and frustrated?):

    ["MyLinkedList","addAtHead","addAtIndex","addAtIndex","addAtHead","deleteAtIndex","addAtIndex","addAtHead","addAtTail","addAtHead","get","addAtTail","addAtTail","addAtIndex","addAtTail","addAtTail","addAtHead","addAtTail","addAtHead","addAtTail","addAtHead","addAtTail","addAtTail","addAtHead","addAtTail","addAtIndex","addAtHead","deleteAtIndex","addAtHead","addAtHead","addAtHead","addAtHead","addAtIndex","addAtHead","addAtTail","addAtHead","deleteAtIndex","addAtTail","deleteAtIndex","addAtTail","addAtTail","addAtTail","addAtTail","addAtHead","addAtTail","get","addAtIndex","get","deleteAtIndex","addAtTail","addAtHead","addAtTail","addAtTail","addAtIndex","addAtHead","addAtHead","addAtHead","addAtHead","addAtHead","addAtTail","deleteAtIndex","deleteAtIndex","addAtHead","addAtHead","addAtTail","addAtHead","get","addAtIndex","addAtIndex","get","addAtTail","get","addAtTail","deleteAtIndex","get","addAtTail","addAtTail","addAtHead","addAtTail","deleteAtIndex","addAtHead","addAtHead","addAtHead","deleteAtIndex","addAtTail","addAtIndex","addAtTail","addAtTail","addAtIndex","addAtIndex","addAtHead","addAtIndex","addAtHead","addAtHead","addAtTail","addAtIndex","addAtTail","get","addAtHead","addAtTail","addAtHead","addAtHead"] [[],[86],[1,54],[1,14],[83],[4],[3,18],[46],[3],[76],[5],[79],[74],[7,28],[68],[16],[82],[24],[30],[96],[21],[79],[66],[2],[2],[7,57],[59],[21],[19],[55],[46],[17],[16,41],[97],[85],[63],[30],[11],[16],[91],[29],[47],[20],[12],[80],[15],[12,8],[21],[30],[11],[54],[51],[41],[8,88],[62],[7],[59],[73],[73],[55],[9],[7],[49],[99],[17],[44],[11],[26,86],[10,99],[19],[71],[29],[32],[2],[3],[16],[2],[83],[31],[3],[23],[64],[96],[27],[81],[12,78],[21],[69],[5,35],[8,72],[60],[19,73],[55],[83],[86],[31,70],[49],[19],[64],[22],[25],[13]]

    class MyLinkedList {

    int val;

    MyLinkedList head;

    MyLinkedList next;

    MyLinkedList() {val = 0; next = null;}

    MyLinkedList(int val) {this.val = val;}

    public int get(int index) {

    MyLinkedList temp = head;

    int count = 0;

    int val = -1;

    while(temp != null) {

    if(index == count) {

    return temp.val;

    }

    count ++;

    temp = temp.next;

    }

    return val;

    }

    public void addAtHead(int val) {

    MyLinkedList h = new MyLinkedList(val);

    h.next = head;

    head = h;

    }

    public void addAtTail(int val) {

    MyLinkedList t = new MyLinkedList(val);

    MyLinkedList temp = head;

    if(head == null) {

    t.next = head;

    head = t;

    }

    else {

    while(temp != null) {

    if(temp.next == null) {

    break;

    }

    temp = temp.next;

    }

    temp.next = t;

    temp = temp.next;

    }

    }

    public void addAtIndex(int index, int val) {

    MyLinkedList n = new MyLinkedList(val);

    if(head == null) {

    n.next = head;

    head = n;

    }

    else {

    MyLinkedList temp = head;

    int count = 0;

    if(index == 0) {

    temp.val = val;

    temp = temp.next;

    }

    while(temp != null) {

    if(index - 1 == count) {

    n.next = temp.next;

    temp.next = n;

    temp = temp.next;

    }

    count ++;

    temp = temp.next;

    }

    }

    }

    public void deleteAtIndex(int index) {

    if(head == null) {

    head = null;

    }

    else if(head.next != null) {

    if(index == 0) {

    head = head.next;

    }

    MyLinkedList length = head;

    int countLength = 0;

    while(length != null) {

    countLength ++;

    length = length.next;

    }

    MyLinkedList temp = head;

    int count = 0;

    if(index < countLength) {

    while(temp != null) {

    System.out.println("hello");

    if(index - 1 == count && temp.next != null && temp.next.next == null) {

    temp.next = null;

    }

    else if(index - 1 == count && temp.next.next != null) {

    System.out.println("going here");

    temp.val = temp.next.val;

    temp.next = temp.next.next;

    }

    count ++;

    temp = temp.next;

    }

    }

    }

    }

    }

    submitted by /u/ryanlak1234
    [link] [comments]

    How do i beginning a career in Non web programming? I already write web applications with Node and mobile with kotlin

    Posted: 31 Oct 2021 11:35 PM PDT

    Hello, please how do i grow my career in actual programming and not web development? I don't want to build websites. I want to code like programming a robot for example, or internet of things device Where a sensor receives data and transmits that data to a mobile application. Like your alarm sends a message to your coffee maker to start warming it when it rings.. or programming security and verification systems for real estates those kinda things. Is there a name for that niche? Are there some resources out there?

    submitted by /u/darklight_X
    [link] [comments]

    Is this the correct way to require one key but allow anything else?

    Posted: 31 Oct 2021 03:47 PM PDT

    I was looking for the best syntax to specific "this key should be here but anything else may be included" Is this the best/most common syntax?

    // Typescript export type DatedRecord = { date: string | Date, [stringIndexes: string]: any, [numberIndexes: number]: any, } const myFunc = <GenericRecord extends DatedRecord>(records: GenericRecord[]) : GenericRecord[] => {...} 
    submitted by /u/rikola2
    [link] [comments]

    Why do most self-taught programmers end up doing front-end web devleopment?

    Posted: 31 Oct 2021 02:02 AM PDT

    Why do most self-taught programmers end up doing front-end web devleopment?

    submitted by /u/mickkb
    [link] [comments]

    [C#] Cannot implicitly convert type `void' to `string[]'

    Posted: 31 Oct 2021 10:38 PM PDT

    This is turning up literally everywhere when I'm trying to code so I would massively appreciate it if you could help me out here.

    I've tried googling and watching videos but I dont understand a word anyones saying.

    Here is my code that is giving the error:

    using System;

    namespace MyApplication

    {

    class Program

    {

    static void Main(string[] args)

    {

    string text1 = "hello my friend";

    string mark = " ";

    string[] text1Split = text1.Split(mark);

    string[] text1Reverse = Array.Reverse(text1Split);

    Console.WriteLine(text1Reverse);

    }

    }

    }

    Why in the hooting hell is my variable 'void' and how can i have it not be that?!?

    submitted by /u/VoiceofRedditMkI
    [link] [comments]

    What the fundamentals of writing a wrapper?

    Posted: 31 Oct 2021 04:35 PM PDT

    I'm interested in bringing SDL to OpenxTalk but have no idea what I'm doing.

    If I could wrap the basic functions of opening a window, displaying an image, handling keyboard input that'd be a good start. Then I could look at how other wrappers like for Lua did it but I don't even know what to look for.

    submitted by /u/allornothinghoney
    [link] [comments]

    Qt or Rad Studio C++ Builder?!

    Posted: 31 Oct 2021 10:33 PM PDT

    I wanna create an application with gui and I heared these two are used for this purpose. What are their differences? Which one is better? Which one is better for a beginner like me?

    submitted by /u/ParsaXAi
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a good system for text adventure games (both Mac/PC)

    Posted: 31 Oct 2021 04:03 PM PDT

    Hey all, so I have been dabbling in coding for game design for the past year or so. I've got some very basic knowledge of C# (mostly used with Unity) and Lua (for Love2D and the upcoming Playdate).

    I've made one text adventure game that I really enjoyed (Bathroom Break) but i wasn't able to really get it to work on both Mac and PC.

    I'm not looking for anything crazy. No graphics or really anything, just console based stuff, but I'd love for it to be easily opened by both Mac and PC.

    Is there any languages, programs, etc that I should look at? My ideal world would be I can code it and essentially send that off to either a Mac or PC user and have them easily open it. That might be impossible and I've definitely looked around a bit but haven't found anything that works well for me yet.

    If you have any ideas, let me know!

    And thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/Scarepwn
    [link] [comments]

    what about programming mentors?

    Posted: 31 Oct 2021 02:29 PM PDT

    Thinking laud...

    the majority of this community are beginners / junior level and probably would be good to attract more experienced people to share knowledge and experience. What about creating community for mentors that would actively interact with this community? A community where experienced people will mentor and share their knowledge, even periodically invite special technology experts to address questions. What do you think, would it be interesting project and would it work? This question is addressed to all -- beginners and experts.

    If there are people that would like to try, let's brainstorm a little, make a strategy how to develop a community, which would motivate and inspire to learn programming and technologies.

    submitted by /u/aregtech
    [link] [comments]

    Web Dev Course Suggestions?

    Posted: 31 Oct 2021 09:56 PM PDT

    Hi, I am comfortable working with languages such as Java and Python, however I would like to expand my horizon and learn about web dev. Upon doing some research, I've found so many different web dev things, like HTML, CSS, JS, React, Node, Flask, Django, Bootstrap, and so much more that I don't even know what it is. I've tried looking for free courses, but none are extensive that include all of these technologies, and there are so many of them I don't know which is the best.

    Do you guys have a recommendation for a course that can get me up to speed in the real world, with some intro to all the things that current web developers use? I am pretty comfortable with Python and Java if that helps. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/fd430dfgjpogd3gfd2ds
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment