• Breaking News

    Tuesday, August 31, 2021

    Any books that can get me started on to programming for an actual beginner. Ask Programming

    Any books that can get me started on to programming for an actual beginner. Ask Programming


    Any books that can get me started on to programming for an actual beginner.

    Posted: 31 Aug 2021 02:52 PM PDT

    I'm 16 and start college soon and i'm doing a course in IT and part is programming even though they teach you everything from scratch and I wanna do fun stuff with programming myself.

    submitted by /u/AliveOrganization824
    [link] [comments]

    Why is c++ considered powerful?

    Posted: 31 Aug 2021 12:32 PM PDT

    i have heard many people say c++ is powerful but what are the things that make it better from other language

    submitted by /u/Independent_Image_59
    [link] [comments]

    Can JavaScript modules (without classes) be considered "Object Oriented Programming" since they provide a form of encapsulation?

    Posted: 31 Aug 2021 08:55 PM PDT

    What is the status of GPU virtualization at the moment?

    Posted: 31 Aug 2021 04:22 AM PDT

    Hello reddit, just out of curiousity, this question pops up in my mind: What is the current status of GPU virtualization technology? What I know is that right now with the like of AWS, you can "rent" any number of CPU core on a physical server and billed up to the granularity of seconds ( Lambda )

    Right now does GPU virtualization technology support the same? Being able to tap in a fraction of one very fast GPU and billed for the usage time only?

    Thanks a lot !

    submitted by /u/IsAllUsernameTaken
    [link] [comments]

    How would you refactor out the parameters to the builder pattern?

    Posted: 31 Aug 2021 06:25 PM PDT

    I have a class that implements the builder pattern in Java. The builder class contains several static classes that are also builders. In my implementation, I have private methods that serve as parameters to the builder classes; basically, I build the object, and call .build() when I return it from the private method. Like this:

    Request.builder().print(buildPrintRequest(xml)).build(); 

    The problem is that these private builder methods are taking up a large chuck of my implementation class. I would like to put them into their own classes, but am not sure what would be the best refactoring here. Is there a convention for this scenario?

    submitted by /u/knight_who_says_knee
    [link] [comments]

    How much should I be getting paid?

    Posted: 31 Aug 2021 01:07 PM PDT

    This could be the wrong place to post this but I'm just a young developer looking for a little guidance. I graduated college this year and was hired by a mid-size company (they are only mid-size based on worth, otherwise they would be small.) I am actually their first "in house" software developer. They have been contracting all of their software work up until now through a company owned by the brother of our owner. I am almost his apprentice until he has me trained to the point that he is confident that I can take over as sole developer and begin taking on a more managerial role. I love the work, I'm constantly learning and it's kind of a dream situation for me. However at the moment I am being paid less that 60,000 per year and with the amount of responsibility put on me I don't know if I should expect more. And I don't think it's the result of my boss trying to screw me. They have just never hired and paid forms software developer. I am trying to gather information because I have a salary review+negotiation in about 2 weeks and I'm trying to find a good asking number.

    submitted by /u/Boardgamesare
    [link] [comments]

    How can an operating system/platform take advantages of a compiled code of a particular language?

    Posted: 31 Aug 2021 12:06 PM PDT

    I don't know how to put this question in a more concise way, please read below if the title was too abstract.

    When I come across any programming language, say Golang, I see that one of the language's feature is it's memory safety. So, if I compile a Go program to Windows native, isn't the program compiled to run in the Windows runtime, which may or may not "offer" memory safety?

    In other words, how does one realize all the features of a language, if your target platform does not support all the language's features? Are the features marketed to be fully realized in the language's own runtime?

    Same goes for Rust. Rust offers memory safety, but if you compile Rust to run on Windows, isn't Rust completely dependent the target architecture/instructions and you may not fully realize the language's capabilities?

    Even if your language offers memory safety, your code still has to be compiled to a platform which doesn't.

    submitted by /u/psylent_w3ird0
    [link] [comments]

    Cloud-based lightweight tools to build Webapps to interact with a database

    Posted: 31 Aug 2021 03:24 PM PDT

    Hello,

    I am searching for a cloud-based, lightweight tool to build webapps to interact with a database. Something similar to Retool or internal.

    I want to input data into tables and read data from tables. So pretty basic stuff. But I need to be able to do some custom design (preferably with company branding) and it should look cleaner than tools like DBeaver. I need to be able build multiple pages.

    Oh and the tool needs to support Snowflake as a data source.

    Does anyone have experience with such tools? What is the best tool?

    submitted by /u/Schnurres
    [link] [comments]

    Visual SVN self hosting, access via Internet?

    Posted: 31 Aug 2021 11:27 AM PDT

    Does anyone know how i can setup a VisualSVN Server that i host on my own PC but others can connect via Internet?

    submitted by /u/Playmaxx
    [link] [comments]

    What courses do you recommend ?

    Posted: 31 Aug 2021 02:56 PM PDT

    I am a third level software engineering and I feel lost and was wondering if there any courses I should take while I am on vacation that are helpful. I have a good knowledge in c++ and a brief knowledge in both java and python. Any help would be appreciated

    submitted by /u/a_541_18
    [link] [comments]

    What language would be used to automate web browser actions?

    Posted: 31 Aug 2021 01:32 PM PDT

    I would love to write a program or something that allows me to click it and it will log me into my school's website, access Blackboard, and go to a specific page within Blackboard.

    I have experience with JavaScript in the browser, but I feel like this is a task that would require a native language. Where should I look to get started on this idea?

    submitted by /u/trevorjwelch
    [link] [comments]

    What is the best image comparison solution for my project?

    Posted: 31 Aug 2021 12:59 PM PDT

    Hi everyone!

    I have a project where I am going to be comparing hundreds of thousands or even millions of products with one another. Each product has up to around 150 images (though the average is probably more like 10-20) so I am looking at perhaps something like billions of comparisons throughout the the next year or so.

    All my code is already in Python so it would be amazing if I could either just copy paste something into it or somehow access it through Python for free or extremely cheap prices.

    Description of my use case and requirements:

    - Product images often differ in ways that are a bit hard for humans to spot immediately (for example). I need a way that I can know for sure whether or not the image I am searching for is among the product images in the link I am comparing with and, if not, which images come closest and how close.

    - It's extremely unlikely that images will be rotated. However, they could conceivably be mirrored though that too is unlikely.

    - It's certain that images will differ in quality though very probably not drastically. This should not affect the computer's decision and the images should still be considered the same.

    - It's possible that watermarks and logos might have been added to the source images but quite unlikely and these would only be a very tiny minority of the cases. Still, it would be nice if I could set up a threshold that would allow for these images to still be categorized as similar enough to be the same image.

    - I do not NEED to be able to visualize the exact difference between the images but it would be helpful if the solution also offered this feature for troubleshooting and other scenarios.

    - I would love it to be as fast as possible but accuracy is more important. If I could do something like 1,000,000 comparisons in 24 hours (something like 12 comparisons per second), that would be amazing!! That having been said, I will take pretty much anything that works.

    Solutions I have found by Googling:

    First

    Second

    Third

    Fourth (seems perfect. Is it fast enough?)

    I admit I am too woefully ignorant of the subject to be able to fully understand the code, let alone assess the particular advantages and disadvantages of each of these approaches or, in fact, any other I might find on the Internet, which is why I had to admit I reached the end of my knowledge and ask for help. Which of these solutions would be the best fit for my project? Is there an even better solution that I haven't found?

    Thank you all very much and my apologies for the long wall of text! I really appreciate your taking the time to help me.

    submitted by /u/JoZeHgS
    [link] [comments]

    How to assess whether the project you are tired of is worth finishing?

    Posted: 31 Aug 2021 09:05 AM PDT

    Hello!

    This happens every time to me. The usual flow of a project is:

    • days 1- 20: think of epic functionalities and ideas for the project and start making the skeleton (enthusiasm 10/10)
    • days 21-41: keep building the project and make the basic structure and put some meat on there (enthusiasm 8/10)
    • days 42-51: make the bulk of it and now start putting in the stuff you skipped because you found it annoying in the beginning (enthusiasm 4/10)
    • days 52-61: realize that you are so far in and you made so many hack fixes that god allmighty couldn't make heads or tails of what you have done and you have to finish it now or never while you are still in possession of the knowledge. Start thinking about quitting (enthusiasm 2/10)

    • days 62-x: think every day about quitting (enthusiasm INT_MIN/10)

    So, I am currently in the last stage of my most recent project. Only thing remaining is the annoying text formatting for a CLI TUI interface. It is 90% done. BUT. I have realized that I simply don't trust it. I made the program for myself to save 1 second and 1 click of my usual process.. but I have had so many errors and stuff, and there are just so many things that could go wrong that I simply do not trust it with my data. Even if I implemented a multiple savefile functionality. On the surface it works well. But I don't trust it. I tested it with all kinds of extreme data, but the ingenuity of the user is such that one cannot predict all the stuff he may do. Even though I check every input and have about 50 custom error messages so it is unmistakable to them where exactly the error lies, I still just don't believe it. Maybe there are programs out there which we all use that use the same reading and saving functions in the same way, but knowing what is inside I don't trust it.

    I made a big notes file for future me if I decide to go back today or tomorrow or never.. of the things that still need to be done to make it as it was envisioned.

    It's a pickle. On one side you wasted 2 months and have nothing to show for it (in terms of a program releasable to the public), and on the other, if you yourself don't trust the code, what would be the point in giving it to other people who don't know what kind of weird stuff you did inside.

    I'm always happy when I finish something (for about 5 mins, but still. )

    But then again, I could be doing something useful like learning assembly.

    Do you ever get tired of your projects because they took too long for what they are? Do you finish thme or move on?

    submitted by /u/dfgzuu
    [link] [comments]

    I have to choose between an apprenticeship in either data analyst or web developer

    Posted: 31 Aug 2021 06:53 AM PDT

    So I got into this special program offer from my city which basically offers to pay for my apprenticeship in a company as either a jr data analyst or a web developer..

    I've the basics of both and they will give me an internship so i will be able to start contribute as well..

    Now my question is what are the plus and minus for each of those field from your knowledge / experience.. maybe it would help me decide which one i should go for as my future career..

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/comeditime
    [link] [comments]

    What is the point of release orchestration and automation?

    Posted: 31 Aug 2021 08:19 AM PDT

    Or, confessions of a devops engineer who has no idea what hes doing.

    I just came back into engineering from a 4 year stint in projects into a devops team and I have alot of trouble understanding what benefit we're actually delivering to all of this. Back when I was a software dev, all I did to promote code was commit to svn (yes, it was that long ago...), Jenkins job picks up my commit, builds it, then deploys it. It's a big task but not something I thought would require a team of 8 full time employees. So, what?

    If it helps, I work in a huge (like, fortune100 huge) non-tech multinational.

    submitted by /u/sadhukar
    [link] [comments]

    Worth learning Kotlin or Flutter if already learned React Native (for Android dev)

    Posted: 30 Aug 2021 11:57 PM PDT

    Hello! I was wondering if it is worth to learn Kotlin or Flutter for Android dev over React native. Are these languages going to grow more in Mobile dev? Are they significantly faster and more streamlined compare to React native?

    If I should learn one of the two, which would you recommend and why?

    Thanks!

    Edit:

    Since I have no experience with Kotlin or Flutter, would it be better for me to learn Java first? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/AspectNo66
    [link] [comments]

    Scrapping Channel Messages from Telegram on Private Group

    Posted: 31 Aug 2021 10:57 AM PDT

    Hi guys,

    I'm trying to build a scraper that can scrape messages from Telegram Private groups. I used the python package, Telethon, to scrape from Public groups, but this library cannot access messages from Private groups. I have heard of programmers building screenshot based scrapers, but I have not been able to find sufficient resources to implement that type of scraper.. Was hoping the community here could offer some advice, resources, or any direction..

    thanks,

    Will

    submitted by /u/Ok_Let_5101
    [link] [comments]

    Automatically visit/exit sites?

    Posted: 31 Aug 2021 09:22 AM PDT

    Any automation tool that would let bot visit my competitors sites from ahrefs

    There used to be a chrome extension (can't remember the name) that allowed to build a sequence of events to follow and it would run it for you.

    So I want a bot that will go and exit every page of a particular keyword from an ahrefs list

    submitted by /u/rolandopax
    [link] [comments]

    Which language to learn next?

    Posted: 31 Aug 2021 08:10 AM PDT

    About a month ago I asked on this sub whether I should learn Rust and what I could gain from it, you can find the post here. Since then I haven't started to learn Rust but started asking myself, which language to learn next. I would like to add another, different, language to my language portfolio, cause learning new languages can always change your view on programming.

    To make a start, here is the list of languages I already know and use regulary:

    • Golang
    • PHP
    • C#
    • JavaScript
    • SQL

    These languages are kind of my daily bread, like we say in Germany, and I use them nearly daily. Several tools I developed are based on Golang, the CMS I develop as my side project is written in PHP, JavaScript (Svelte) and SQL. At work I use C# and JavaScript.

    Apart from the languages I use regulary, there are C++ and Dart which I use not really regulary, but I know them and have a few projects in these languages.

    Of course there are also several languages I learned but don't use (currently) the list follows, but is probably not complete:

    • Java
    • Kotlin
    • C
    • TypeScript

    Since learning languages is one of my hobbies, I tried many other languages already, with small or big projects:

    • F#
    • Rust (with Yew and WebAssembly)
    • Delphi (In school)
    • Pascal (In school)

    After looking around languages I could narrow down, which languages I consider to, properly, learn next and which not, the list with the languages I don't consider follows:

    • Python
    • Delphi/Pascal family
    • Lisp dialects
    • Basic dialects

    The list of languages I considered is longer:

    • Rust
    • Elixir
    • Crystal
    • Erlang
    • Haskell
    • Ruby
    • Lua

    The last question to give a proper answer is what I want to do with the language and what I usually develop. It is not important for me, that I can get a job with the language, cause I already know enough languages to get a job with. And that worked out rather well in the past 10 years. I like learning languages to get a different view on coding. So it is more "scientifical" rather than practical usage. Most stuff I develop are tools around the CMS I develop or for my Kubernetes server. Apart from that I plan to develop a Qt app soonish for my CMS. Apart from that a mobile app is also planned, but I probably will go with Dart and Flutter. I also develop web apps for all kind of use cases and generally create tools that make my life easier. Probably the coolest project I developed in the last few months, is a monitoring and controlling tool for my leopard geckos, based on an ESP32.

    First of all, thanks for reading this all. The question kind of boils down to, which of these languages do you think should I learn and most important why.

    Edit: Nearly forgot to mention, any language is welcome which is not on the "Don't consider"-list.

    submitted by /u/DerKnerd
    [link] [comments]

    Healthcare Administration

    Posted: 31 Aug 2021 07:50 AM PDT

    Hey, apologies if this is the wrong place for this. I'm getting my Ph.D in psychology currently, and am looking to take those skills to healthcare administration. From what I've gathered, programming knowledge is a huge boost to job prospects, and I was wondering if anyone here is in healthcare could provide some recommendations on which language to focus my spare time on learning? I'm not looking to become an expert - simply to know what I am talking about and perform some moderately skilled programming tasks when the occasion may call for it. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Fudgypenis
    [link] [comments]

    Should frontend or backend be responsible for figuring out your environment, or a mix of both?

    Posted: 31 Aug 2021 06:39 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    I have a frontend react project that I can figure out is production or staging by doing some parsing like localhost vs. the actual website name.

    I also have a C# backend controller that can figure out where your request is coming from, but I figure with the frontend I can just send out an extra field like "is_staging" and just go with that instead of doing any extra logic.

    Should these be separated? i.e. frontend figures out it's staging and sends out the data and backend also figures out it's staging to do whatever staging logic.

    Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/drugsbowed
    [link] [comments]

    .NET Controller too big?

    Posted: 31 Aug 2021 06:32 AM PDT

    I'm a junior developer working in .NET Core. Wondering if one of my controllers is getting too big. Right now it is at 1k lines. About a third of that is local functions for validation etc. I do use services also but more for db connection than business logic.

    • How big is too big?
    • What are your thoughts on local functions vs services?
    submitted by /u/Tooindabush
    [link] [comments]

    What's the best way to go about sending auto-reply emails from a user's email to their users?

    Posted: 31 Aug 2021 05:53 AM PDT

    I'm getting a little lost in this whole world of mailservers.

    It feels like every service requires to be setup for each user. As opposed to that I would like my users to be able to add an email for verification and then add that to an SMTP service to take that setup pain away from my users.

    Does such a thing exist or do I just need to integrate with those services and my users will have to do the setup on their own?

    I would also like to track things like bounce rate and complaints so we can suspend accounts that would potentially poison the IP. Although that shouldn't be to much of an issue with our usecase.

    submitted by /u/drgrimshaw
    [link] [comments]

    Service, website to share social links?

    Posted: 31 Aug 2021 04:26 AM PDT

    Some days ago I've seen a service that allow you to share your social media, like spotfiy profile, facebook, youtube, instagram, github....... if someone know some service or website like this?
    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/grigorievcatalin
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment