• Breaking News

    Thursday, June 17, 2021

    From Depressed College Student to Data Engineer learn programming

    From Depressed College Student to Data Engineer learn programming


    From Depressed College Student to Data Engineer

    Posted: 16 Jun 2021 07:38 AM PDT

    Two years ago, I didn't have much to brag about. I had spent six years in undergrad bouncing around between humanities majors before settling on international relations. I know you're probably saying international relations is useless. I knew that, but I was also struggling with crippling depression and anxiety. Anything remotely technical or career-oriented would send me into a state of panic. I found that out the hard way when I failed freshman year and nearly got kicked out of school. I had always been interested in programming ever since I booted up my dad's old Macintosh II as a kid and played around with True Basic. The idea of actually doing it for a living though, or even in an academic setting terrified me. Obviously everyone else would be so far ahead of me there would be no way I could compete.

    Well, after graduating and immediately going back to school for a one-year masters in marketing (turns out it's very difficult to get hired with an international relations degree), I found myself frequently looking up coding tutorials in class. After randomly selecting python because some Reddit thread suggested it, I spent most of my downtime between lectures doing basic courses on Udemy and eventually graduated to some random connect four tutorial. For some reason, I was actually absorbing and retaining information.

    When I graduated and eventually got my first shitty agency job, I tried to use python for every single thing I could. There were so many tedious reports that needed to be put together every day that required visiting dozens of media sites, copying data between spreadsheets and so on. It was the perfect opportunity to learn web-scraping and data manipulation with pandas. I ended up saving the office about two hours of work a day. Needless to say, my boss was very impressed. It was great until he got laid off, and his replacement quit. Then I got laid off too.

    I spent the next year and a half working at a media agency. While my official job title didn't reflect it, I ended up being able to shift my responsibilities away from simple ad placement to finding ways to automate campaign budget allocation and media upload / allocation as well as reporting. I even got a chance to create some data infrastructure as the company had none before my arrival.

    After failing to get any sort of raise, I decided to start applying to junior developer and data analyst jobs in my area. I would highlight all the technical aspects of my previous jobs in my applications and include my GitHub portfolio. After 50 something applications, I finally got a lead with a multi national logistics company for a data analyst position. The interview went well and they gave me a python and sql assessment which I went overboard on completing.

    It's been four months since I put in my notice at my last job and I just passed my probation period as a data analyst / engineer with a 60% salary increase. Instead of rushing to meet deadlines for campaigns and mindlessly scrolling excel files I get to spend the work day building data pipelines and automating reports without someone breathing down my neck.

    TLDR Thanks to stack overflow, reddit, and a resume that only highlighted my technical achievements, I managed to go from a depressed college student to someone with a good job, a fiancé and a house (albeit rented). So that's pretty cool I guess.

    submitted by /u/cellularcone
    [link] [comments]

    Can't seem to get past the beginner stage

    Posted: 17 Jun 2021 04:22 AM PDT

    So far I've watched a 3 hour YouTube video on the python basics (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfscVS0vtbw&ab_channel=freeCodeCamp.org) and went through Automate The Boring Stuff, and I've been tinkering around a little trying to make my own stuff and I just seem to constantly freeze up trying to make my own fairly simple projects, I'm not too smart and finding it very difficult. Anyone got any advice for me? It's been weeks now and I can't sit down for more than an hour without getting frustrated over freezing up and not knowing what to do at all.

    I'm getting better at reading other people's code and understanding it but writing my own code is just a whole different story

    submitted by /u/DylonL4
    [link] [comments]

    Disappointment and self hate.

    Posted: 17 Jun 2021 06:35 AM PDT

    I've been learning react for about 2 months now and I've done a project and I'm working on one now. But whenever I get stuck, I don't get any solutions without googling. I feel like I'm an idiot and get the urge to quit. I don't want to quit, I want to be a software developer, but the overwhelming feeling of not being intelligent enough Is very depressing and demotivating. What do I do?

    submitted by /u/Ghost_Redditor_
    [link] [comments]

    Operating Systems act as an “interface” between the computer hardware and the computer user. What does this mean?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2021 01:59 AM PDT

    Operating Systems act as an "interface" between the computer hardware and the computer user. What does this mean? Can someone explain this?

    submitted by /u/cchanel-no5
    [link] [comments]

    Issues with Tkinter

    Posted: 17 Jun 2021 06:32 AM PDT

    Hi,

    I am new to Tkinter. Could anyone explain to me why my code below isn't filling up the listbox? Additionally, is the listbox scrollbar issued correctly? Thanks

    from tkinter import * root = Tk() root.title("Test") frame = Frame(root) lb = Listbox(frame,background='white') sb = Scrollbar(frame, orient=VERTICAL) lb.config(yscrollcommand=sb.set) sb.configure(command=lb.yview) e = Entry(root, width = 40, borderwidth = 1) e.grid(row = 0, column = 1, padx = 10, pady = 10) l = Label(root, height = 4, text = "Box 1 ") l.grid(row = 0, column = 0) e1 = Entry(root, width = 40, borderwidth = 1) e1.grid(row = 1, column = 1, padx = 10, pady = 10) l1 = Label(root, height = 4, text = "Box 2 ") l1.grid(row = 1, column = 0) e2 = Entry(root, width = 40, borderwidth = 1) e2.grid(row = 3, column = 1, padx = 10, pady = 10) sb.grid(row=3, column=1, sticky=NS) sb.grid(row=3, column=1) def fillbox(): for x in range(10): return lb.insert(0, x) digest_button = Button(root, text='Go', padx = 100, pady = 40, command = lambda: fillbox()) digest_button.grid(row = 2, column = 1) root.mainloop() 
    submitted by /u/AKRowling
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone know of a good C++ course

    Posted: 17 Jun 2021 06:22 AM PDT

    Hey everyone,

    I'm going back to school for CS and am signed up for CS102 in the fall. However its been a couple of years since I took CS101 and would like to review my C++.

    I was wondering if anyone knew of any good courses? I'd prefer video but text is fine.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Apollo989
    [link] [comments]

    [Programming interview question] How would you look up an entry in a phone book with no index?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2021 04:44 AM PDT

    I'm looking to understand how I can approach this problem and code it.

    submitted by /u/l8engineer
    [link] [comments]

    Difficulty in solving the problem below

    Posted: 17 Jun 2021 04:01 AM PDT

    Hello, I have been facing difficulties in this problem and others similar to this. Can someone please help as to how I can go about solving this problem in the most efficient way?? I use c++.

    Any answers would be appreciated!

    submitted by /u/The_Invincible7
    [link] [comments]

    What's the best way to learn node.js ?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2021 03:05 AM PDT

    I have a basic knowledge in JavaScript and I am willing to learn node.js and express.js . I am confused should I first learn more javascript or should I learn node directly with the basic knowledge of js.

    submitted by /u/shrey_11
    [link] [comments]

    How to manage multiple sessions of a function/method in the server side in Node.JS?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2021 06:26 AM PDT

    I am making a web application in NodeJS. The library I am using is to interact with an external service for the user. But how do I manage for multiple accounts?

    This library provides a client "APIClient()" where the user needs to put their information into in order to use it. And also there's a realtime event feature in this.

    But what happens if multiple sessions get started in APIClient, it will probably not work.

    The library creator mentioned "making multiple instances of APIClient() will solve it"

    How to make "mulitple instances" of any function?

    I found child processes to help with this but they are too difficult to manage and also it will probably take up way too much resources even if there were a 100 Client instances active.

    So is there a better way to create "Multiple Instances" or should I just go with child processes?

    submitted by /u/AhuraMazda0
    [link] [comments]

    How do I connect python with the LDAP. I started my On-campus job and I need to write python scripts to find user.

    Posted: 17 Jun 2021 06:19 AM PDT

    ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'ldap'

    This is the error I am getting J have installed everything. Python3 and python-ldap.

    submitted by /u/FrontCauliflower5181
    [link] [comments]

    Travelling Salesman Problem with multiple salesmen API- general guidance help

    Posted: 17 Jun 2021 05:44 AM PDT

    Hey guys!

    I'm currently doing research for a project that I want to do, my brother works for a construction company with no work-planning, so I am thinking of doing an project for this. Trying to do a efficient planner for them.

    So the travelling Salesman problem in itself is quite complicated to implement, especially taking into account multiple drivers / salesmen.

    There is various APIs out there which can be tried, but finding various constraint so thought I would ask here. Have anyone done a similar project? or just in general have some tips how to go about this project.

    Currently browsing:

    graphhopper.com/

    https://algorithmia.com/

    https://docs.mapbox.com/api/navigation/optimization/

    Thanks in advance & have an awesome day!

    submitted by /u/stirezxq
    [link] [comments]

    A question about apple-touch-icons (and the like) in the document head

    Posted: 17 Jun 2021 01:33 AM PDT

    A web-page has, amongst other thigsn all this in its head:

    <link rel="apple-touch-icon" sizes="57x57" href="/assets/img/apple-touch-icon-57x57.png"> <link rel="apple-touch-icon" sizes="60x60" href="/assets/img/apple-touch-icon-60x60.png"> <link rel="apple-touch-icon" sizes="72x72" href="/assets/img/apple-touch-icon-72x72.png"> <link rel="apple-touch-icon" sizes="76x76" href="/assets/img/apple-touch-icon-76x76.png"> <link rel="apple-touch-icon" sizes="114x114" href="/assets/img/apple-touch-icon-114x114.png"> <link rel="apple-touch-icon" sizes="120x120" href="/assets/img/apple-touch-icon-120x120.png"> <link rel="apple-touch-icon" sizes="144x144" href="/assets/img/apple-touch-icon-144x144.png"> <link rel="apple-touch-icon" sizes="152x152" href="/assets/img/apple-touch-icon-152x152.png"> <link rel="apple-touch-icon" sizes="180x180" href="/assets/img/apple-touch-icon-180x180.png"> <link rel="icon" type="image/png" sizes="32x32" href="/assets/img/favicon-32x32.png"> <link rel="icon" type="image/png" sizes="192x192" href="/assets/img/android-chrome-192x192.png"> <link rel="icon" type="image/png" sizes="16x16" href="/assets/img/favicon-16x16.png"> <link rel="manifest" href="/assets/img/manifest.json"> <link rel="mask-icon" href="/assets/img/safari-pinned-tab.svg"> <meta name="msapplication-TileColor" content="#d5007f"> <meta name="msapplication-TileImage" content="/assets/img/mstile-144x144.png"> <meta name="msapplication-config" content="/assets/img/browserconfig.xml"> <link rel="shortcut icon" href="/assets/img/favicon.ico" /> 

    My question is: are all these images downloaded regardless, or does a browser only fetch those it requires?

    submitted by /u/ISayISayISay
    [link] [comments]

    Can't figure out a solution for this Inheritance Hierarchy

    Posted: 17 Jun 2021 05:04 AM PDT

    Hey, first of all I don't know if it's the correct flair but it's the best one out of them all I think.

    I'm using Java for a project of mine and I got into a problem:

    I wrote a different one from what I have but it's the same idea, and I wanted to make it as simple as possible so it will be faster and easier for you to read:

    Animal Class:

    public abstract class Animal{ private String name; public Animal(String name){ this.name = name; } public abstract void makeSound(); @Override public String toString(){ return this.name; } //... } 

    Dog Class:

    public class Dog extends Animal{ private SpecialFieldForDog sffd; public Dog(Srring name){ super(name) } } 

    Cat Class:

    public class Cat extends Animal{ private SpecialFieldForCat sffc; public Cat(String name){ super(name); } } 

    Communicate Class:

    public abstract class Communicate{ private final animal1; private final animal2; public Communicate(Animal animal1, Animal animal2){ this.animal1 = animal1; this.animal2 = animal2; } protected abstract void communicate(); protected void functionThatHappensAlwaysButHappensAfterCommunicateFunction((){ //... } //... } 

    DogCommunicatesDog Class:

    public class DogCommunicatesDog extends Communicate{ private Dog dog1; private Dog dog2; public DogCommunicatesDog(Dog dog1, Dog dog2){ super(dog1,dog2); //But I need to use the special fields of the animals... so I need to have Dog(s) fields this.dog1 = dog1; this.dog2 = dog2; communicate(); // uses special fields so I can't put it in abstract class... functionThatHappensAlwaysButHappensAfterCommunicateFunction(); } @Override protected void communicate(){ //using special fields. } } 

    DogCommunicatesCat Class:

    public class DogCommunicatesCat extends Communicate{ private Dog dog; private Cat cat; public DogCommunicatesCat(Dog dog, Cat cat){ super(dog,cat); //But I need to use the special fields of the animals... so I need to have a Dog and Cat field this.dog = dog; this.cat = cat; communicate(); // uses special fields so I can't put it in abstract class... functionThatHappensAlwaysButHappensAfterCommunicateFunction()(); } @Override protected void communicate(){ //using special fields. } } 

    As you can see this hierarchy is terrible, I went from making Communicate a normal class and making DogCommunicatesDog/Cat classes have static methods, to making Communicate an interface, to making it an abstract class, In all cases the OOP is pretty bad, I've added comments in the classes so you would understand what the problem is - Each animal has a special field and it is needed to be used, but also Communicate has methods which are used for each communication between animals, but each communication is different... and needs to use the animals' special fields.

    If anyone has an idea of how to properly code this I'd be more than happy :)

    submitted by /u/HowdyPoe
    [link] [comments]

    cant figure out why .pop() gives TypeError

    Posted: 17 Jun 2021 05:02 AM PDT

    For example if I had a list like:

    new_ls = [] ls = [['a', 'b', '0'], ['c', 'd', '1'], ['e', 'f', '2'], ['g', 'h', '3']...] #I want to remove the first element of each nested list and append these elements to new_ls for element in ls: new_ls.append(element[0]) ls.pop(element[0]) #TypeError raised here ##final result I want #new_ls = ['a', 'c', 'e', 'g',...] #this part works #ls = [['b', '0'], ['d', '1'], ['f', '2'], ['h', '3'],...] 

    However when I run this I get a TypeError: 'str' object cannot be interpreted as an integer.

    submitted by /u/b15985
    [link] [comments]

    A question regarding Tesla's GUI

    Posted: 17 Jun 2021 04:09 AM PDT

    Hi guys I just got into the dev world a few months ago (frontend web). I'm working on a project outside my field that involves me mimicking the Tesla MCU screen interface but I haven't been able to figure out its basics. I know it runs on a modified linux OS but is the UI an application that never closes and runs in the background or is it an entirely different version on linux itself with the software embedded in the system.

    submitted by /u/iPajama
    [link] [comments]

    Managing Memory while Loading Large Text File into Python List

    Posted: 17 Jun 2021 03:10 AM PDT

    I have a 1.5 GB of text file and I loaded it from disk into memory using the following code

    docs = [] 

    with open("full_text_corpus.txt", "r") as file: for line in file: docs.extend((line.strip().strip("][").replace("'", "")).split(", "))

    Checking the size occupied by docs variable using the below code gives me 1.5GB Code:

    from sys import getsizeof print(f"Size of docs list is {getsizeof(docs) / (1024 **3)} GB") 

    I'm running it on Google Colab, but it shows occupied RAM as around 14GB, how is that possible?

    If I run this code, it gives me 14.65 GB too. Code:

    import os, psutil 

    process = psutil.Process(os.getpid()) print(process.memory_info().rss / (1024**3))

    I'm not able to understand how this is working? if docs variable is only 1.5GB why is 14GB of my ram being used? Is there any way to free the RAM?

    submitted by /u/Rohit901
    [link] [comments]

    What about portfolio?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2021 03:01 AM PDT

    I don't know how I must do it so if y'all show me examples or explain me more about it I'd be so grateful for your help. So tell me what you know about it and about how must be my resume or curriculum too.

    submitted by /u/Doutken
    [link] [comments]

    Can you move to build an app straight after you learned the basics?

    Posted: 16 Jun 2021 12:13 PM PDT

    I was wondering this as I wanted to build an android app, but I am not sure as I just learned the basics. Could I?

    submitted by /u/Akane34
    [link] [comments]

    Similar site to replit for VPS servers

    Posted: 17 Jun 2021 02:47 AM PDT

    I currently use replit due to how convenient it is but it certainly has it's downsides - mostly that I only have a few months left of my student trial, scripts restart at random times and it's not amazing performance.

    Is there a program/website I can use (preferably free but I can spend up to about £5/$8 a month) to easily program, run and manage all of my different programs on my server without having to manually drag around files or use nano or similar. I've used vscode extensions but they've been buggy for me.

    I also have ~10 servers so multi server support is important for me.

    I feel like something like this might exist but I can't find anything.

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/ixJax
    [link] [comments]

    What should my process be to learn how to pentest?

    Posted: 16 Jun 2021 10:51 PM PDT

    I've heard learn a language then networking and other stuff but the amount of contradictions is just confusing me. Do you guys have any advice?

    submitted by /u/-Vampires-
    [link] [comments]

    How can I initialize an array in C language when I am not sure what its length will be?

    Posted: 16 Jun 2021 10:34 PM PDT

    I am writing a program in C after learning the basics to so I am a noob. In my program, I have an array that I declared as a global array, but I have to take its input through iteration. The number of elements of that array depends upon the user giving input.

    How can I initialize an array when I am not sure what its length will be, and I am taking input through iteration? I want the scope of that array to be global so that I can use it further in my program.

    Here is my code:

    for (int i = 0; i < nos_wl; i++)
    {
    item_no = item_no + 1;
    printf("Item-%d Details:\n", item_no);
    printf(" Item cost%d: $", item_no);
    fflush(stdin);
    scanf(" \n%.2lf", &item_cost[i]);
    }
    for (int i = 0; i < nos_wl; i++)
    {
    printf("%.2lf\n", item_cost[i]);
    }

    In my code, nos_wl is the number of elements the user wants to enter in the array item_cost[], which is a double type array.

    Also, I don't know why, printf statement is not giving the output expected, it gives a very large decimal number.

    submitted by /u/brownboyapoorv
    [link] [comments]

    MOBA creation

    Posted: 17 Jun 2021 02:03 AM PDT

    So I'm trying to create a MOBA app game, after reading FAQ I realized that I could either code or use an engine like Unity or Unreal and you need a little bit of coding C# (Unity) or C++ (Unreal), but some people also state you need Java and Swift. So I'm not sure what do you really need?

    submitted by /u/Kaezumi
    [link] [comments]

    can someone take a look at my code

    Posted: 16 Jun 2021 10:06 PM PDT

    I'm trying to make a shopping cart app with react, and i'm having a hard time trying to render each product on the shopping link so far I have 3 files "products.js" "RenderProducts.js" and "shoppingPage.js" products.js is just an array of objects with data for each product. shoppingpage is mapping through the products' array, and using props to exchange the data that was given to shoppingpage by products, and passing it into the renderproducts' jsx, so it can be rendered on the shoppingpage's page, but nothing seems to show up what am I doing wrong?

    https://github.com/rsteward117/shopping-cart

    submitted by /u/Alert_Locksmith
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment