• Breaking News

    Thursday, June 10, 2021

    Feedback Friday #448 - Ultimate Power

    Feedback Friday #448 - Ultimate Power


    Feedback Friday #448 - Ultimate Power

    Posted: 10 Jun 2021 09:14 PM PDT

    FEEDBACK FRIDAY #448

    Well it's Friday here so lets play each others games, be nice and constructive and have fun! keep up with devs on twitter and get involved!

    Post your games/demos/builds and give each other feedback!

    Feedback Friday Rules:

    Suggestion: As a generally courtesy, you should try to check out a person's game if they have left feedback on your game. If you are leaving feedback on another person's game, it may be helpful to leave a link to your post (if you have posted your game for feedback) at the end of your comment so they can easily find your game.

    -Post a link to a playable version of your game or demo

    -Do NOT link to screenshots or videos! The emphasis of FF is on testing and feedback, not on graphics! Screenshot Saturday is the better choice for your awesome screenshots and videos!

    -Promote good feedback! Try to avoid posting one line responses like "I liked it!" because that is NOT feedback!

    -Upvote those who provide good feedback!

    -Comments using URL shorteners may get auto-removed by reddit, so we recommend not using them.

    Previous Weeks: All

    submitted by /u/Sexual_Lettuce
    [link] [comments]

    How Do I Discretely Tell The Player They Didn't Achieve The True Ending?

    Posted: 10 Jun 2021 06:50 PM PDT

    Hey everyone,

    Soo... In a game I want to make, the "normal" path of the game does not get you to the true ending. It gets you to the mundane normal ending. The true ending can only be achieved by finding a secret area to uncover further lore.

    I'm wondering if there's any way to indicate that they haven't gotten the ending intended without explicitly putting up text saying "bad ending"?

    One of my biggest fears in game development is having the player get a bad ending, and think the game is just that.....

    So, how would you go about this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/03FuyuNoTsuki03
    [link] [comments]

    Do you watch others dev logs?

    Posted: 10 Jun 2021 07:17 PM PDT

    I've recently gotten into watching game jam devlogs, and was wondering how many others also enjoy these. Do you have any favourites to recommend?

    Side question; do you also watch vlogs for larger games/ series? To you, what makes a good dev log video?

    submitted by /u/shelleyphant
    [link] [comments]

    When did you decide it was time to implement save systems in your game?

    Posted: 10 Jun 2021 09:59 PM PDT

    Working on my first game. I hear frequently that backend stuff like save system should be done as early as possible. I do not get the reason, as new implementations will be added onto the game that needs to go to the save files, and its annoying to constantly update the save system.

    So far, I have proof of concept kind of done, I do not need a save system at the moment and I am tracking all the long-term variables separately so it can be used to save and load. However, this "get backend stuff done asap" rule is bothering me. To ease my mind a little bit I want to know when did you guys implement your save systems in the game?

    submitted by /u/agent0range_
    [link] [comments]

    A Trig-less Line of Sight Algorithm for 2D Games

    Posted: 10 Jun 2021 09:21 PM PDT

    Hey everyone!

    I was looking around for ways to implement 2D line of sight in my game a few weeks ago. There are tons of great articles out there about this subject already, but all of the algorithms I found either purposefully included small inaccuracies, or used expensive operations like arctangent. I was convinced it's possible to do without those, so I created my own using inspiration from them and changing some of the things I didn't like. In particular, this algorithm does not purposefully exclude areas from the end result and uses only addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division: no trig, no square roots, no fudging the numbers!

    This is in no way intended to be production-ready code, or even to replace the existing algorithms. I've just created it as a learning resource for others to illustrate solving problems with vectors. I've written up my methods and math as a "book" tutorial for people to read through with lots of pictures to illustrate what is the motivation behind the different vector operations, and full source code for each chunk of the algorithm. You can check it out here: https://basstabs.github.io/2d-line-of-sight/

    Also feel free to check out the repo, which includes a small sample application using this algorithm as well as all the code (and the source code of the book as well): https://github.com/basstabs/2d-line-of-sight

    submitted by /u/basstabs
    [link] [comments]

    What is that really annoying problem in your game.

    Posted: 10 Jun 2021 09:00 PM PDT

    Whether for some reason there is an annoying bug with carrying items, the images are sized differently on different operating systems, or anything else, what is the really dang annoying problem in your game?

    Edit: sorry for lack of question mark in title.

    submitted by /u/ArrowMasterDude
    [link] [comments]

    Please help me choose a title for a viking game where you play as a norse god

    Posted: 10 Jun 2021 06:49 PM PDT

    Hey! So my game is coming along pretty well, but I can't make a good title on my own. I have had a couple different titles on my main menu through the last 6 months, but none of them seems right. Some of the titles I have had, that just doesnt seem right(to me, atleast):

    Rise of Valhalla - Return of Valhalla - Valhalla Rising - War of Divinity - Divine Warfare - Wake of Ragnarok - God of Vengeance

    Would really appreciate some tips ^^

    About the game:

    It is a top-down fantasy souls like/action rpg in 2d with focus on creating fun builds to overcome difficult enemies. The game takes place after Ragnarok(The end of the world, and gods. You are one of very few survivors). To name a few possible builds: Two handed spear glasscannon, dual wielding throwing daggers, sword and shield reflect tank, archer, mjolnir mainhand with lighting strike spell offhand(the game has mythical weapons, in the case of mjolnir, first attack throws the hammer forward, second attack will return it to your hand.)

    Story(If you're interested):

    You play as Vidar, son of Odin. You forge yourself as the God of Vengeance at Ragnarok, when you kill the great wolf Fenris right after the wolf killed your father. The gods lose the battle, so Heimdahl uses his last breath to send Vidar to Helheim, believing it is the only safe place when the world is ending. Vidar is stuck in Helheim for a long time, and when he finally makes his way back, a new power has claimed Midgard, and restored humanity. This new God does not want to repeat the mistakes of the past, so he recreates the valkyries, branding them Angels and sending them to hunt down any other divine survivor of Ragnarok. Then your journey continues, ultimately leading you back to the ruins of Asgard. You are free to explore the nine realms, with each realm having its unique boss. If you red everything, thank you. You are awesome! Have a great day!

    submitted by /u/Rexicus96
    [link] [comments]

    2D Fighting Game... How long would it take?

    Posted: 10 Jun 2021 11:06 PM PDT

    In this scenario I would be in charge of the animations. Let's say it has... 16 playable characters

    Just programming the basic features of a fighting game, how long would it take per character? I've heard it time and time again that this is one of the hardest types of games to code due to hit boxes and a lot of other variables, but I am looking for a comprehensive timeline so to speak

    submitted by /u/AlanTheMexican
    [link] [comments]

    How to Become a Videogame Producer?

    Posted: 10 Jun 2021 06:29 PM PDT

    I'm currently in my second year of college and I'm trying to figure out what to do with my future. I've realized that I really want to work at a game dev company, but I know that I'm not that great of a programmer and I also can't contribute artistically in any way.

    I found out that Production might be the path for me since I enjoy working with teams, communicating with people, and i think I'd be a good project leader (as well as a few other reasons).

    But, I have a few questions regarding the career…

    1)Is it common for producers to be expected to know coding languages like C and C++?

    2)Is it common for producers to be hired straight out of college? What is the "career trajectory" for someone who wants to be a producer?

    3)What are some common skills/tools that producers utilize on a daily basis?

    4)Are there any college majors or other certifications that most producers have?

    5)Are there any tips/tricks that I should know about if I'm wanting to be a videogame producer?

    Any comments/advice would be greatly appreciated!!

    submitted by /u/JWO2_
    [link] [comments]

    Let's put hh:mm:ss to rest!

    Posted: 10 Jun 2021 09:35 PM PDT

    This has got to be one of the most annoying algorithms to solve for me. Not because it's hard. It's rather easy if you take a minute to think about it. The problem is that it seems like everyone has a different answer to the problem. I even think I come up with a different solution every time I tackle the problem. So I'm curious, what is everyone else's solution to this problem? To be clear, the problem is: Given any number of seconds(or milliseconds if you want to be picky), how do you convert that into human readable hours : minutes : seconds? Here is my most recent solution (tried to keep it language agnostic):

    hours = timeElapsed / 3600;
    minutes = (timeElapsed - (hours * 3600)) / 60;
    seconds = timeElapsed - (hours * 3600) - (minutes * 60);

    And then just concatenate those three with colons and call it a day. Course you need to factor in the leading zeros but I wanted to keep this simple.

    Now I am not saying this solution is the best way or even correct, but it was just the first thing I came up with. I'd really like to know if there is a best practice way to solve this problem cause the amount of variation is unsettling to me weirdly.

    submitted by /u/Dandalaland
    [link] [comments]

    Is Early Access a good way to accumulate whishlist before final release?

    Posted: 10 Jun 2021 09:31 PM PDT

    Hey guys,

    I just released my game ( solo-developed first-person indie horror game with combats ) with Early Access on Steam. But the reactions are unexpected.

    Game Status:

    • The game program is very stable as I tested a long time before release. Player comments on Steam store page also showed that they played about 1 hour. So they are mad at game content itself.
    • Currently most work on this game is low level programming and core concept design. Only half of whole playable designed game content is implemented. Arts are rough.
    • However there are already 5 unique enemies implemented in the game, 4 of them are defeatable, one is full featured. It should already be able to show where this game is going. Most enemies are optional to players, they can choose to fight or run away.

    Why Early Access:
    As an indie game developer without much fund to promote, I though I can get some wishlists in Early Access. And some feedbacks even after refund. Then the game can participate Steam discounts after some main updates and transfer some wishlists to sales. Expecting the game can be noticed when reaches final release.

    Reactions:

    • Refund rate is high but I am OK with this. I'd like players to try and the game is still in EA.
    • Some comments say the game is just ridiculous. They didn't say why so I can just consider them as negtive comments to game content.
    • Some comments say this game is worthless and they want their money back. I am totally OK with refund. They just played about 1 hour, they can ask a refund from Steam and the system will automatically approve their requests. I am also OK with "not recommended" comments. But why leaving those refund request comments as they must already got their refund. Why insulting me?
    • This makes me reconsider if it is a correct decision to release as Early Access.

    Analyze:

    • Perhaps players expected Early Access as "about to be finished after some fixes" ? They thought they want to participate in the development process but actually they don't ?
    • Could players get confused by optioanl enemies? They found the game boring because they didn't notice those enemies are defeatable? Although I made it clear that optional enemies is a feature of this game.
    • The game doesn't look pretty because arts are not mai target in early development.
    • No voice actors.

    Is Early Access just not a good choice for most games? Did I just do it wrong? The game itself is just not ready yet? Any thoughts will be appreciated.

    P.S. (unpleasant words warning)
    The most popular comment on Steam page is purely personal insulting. It is written in Simplified Chinese ( This game is developed in English and I added Simplified Chinese localization). And it says (translated) " F**k you, give me my money back. My dog developed a horror game after watching me playing your game (*comparing a person to a dog is very insulting in this culture ). ..."

    submitted by /u/BrickEngineer
    [link] [comments]

    Arcade Idle: A New Hyper-Casual Genre Enters the Game

    Posted: 10 Jun 2021 09:07 PM PDT

    Disclaimer : I'm moderating r/hyper_casual_games and I have a big interest on this kind of game.

    I want to share this article about Arcade Idle subgenre with the gamedev community because it's not often than a subgenre is created.

    This article is edited by the Hyper Casual Game's publisher Homagames. They affirmed that a new subgenre named Arcade Idle is heading the top charts. They define it by a game incorporating idle and adventure arcade's main attributes resulting by creating a Hyper-casual feel with attractive metrics.

    When I saw these games, I think about the indies hit Forager.

    The gave us some features marking this sub genre :

    • Inclined top-view camera
    • Control with joystick
    • Gathering and sell resources as main objective
    • Open world based on zones or level based

    They also talk about monetization. These kind of games, common to idle game, don't have game over. So, it's hard to show an interstitial when the character loose :) Then, they show the interstitial or the rewarding video when the player finished a task. They also put easily in-app purchase to speed up the player progression.

    To do a good Arcade idle, they identified the key of success by :

    • Simple gameplay mechanic
    • Feeling of depth in the game

    Well, Hyper Casual Game still a growing sub genre and I like to see how it change.

    submitted by /u/Aslan85
    [link] [comments]

    Asking for Advice

    Posted: 10 Jun 2021 08:39 PM PDT

    Hey Guy I am making a voxel game using magica voxel models do you think that it will be something that gamers will like. Does anyone likes voxel models

    submitted by /u/Mountain_Milk_4158
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment