• Breaking News

    Friday, June 18, 2021

    After 8 months of self-teaching, I finally coded a job-ready project - A Netflix clone! Any improvements or feedback highly appreciated! web developers

    After 8 months of self-teaching, I finally coded a job-ready project - A Netflix clone! Any improvements or feedback highly appreciated! web developers


    After 8 months of self-teaching, I finally coded a job-ready project - A Netflix clone! Any improvements or feedback highly appreciated!

    Posted: 18 Jun 2021 07:58 AM PDT

    Eight months ago I quit my job as a digital media editor and was determined to make a career switch. Since then, I've been teaching myself web development from absolutely scratch.

    Recently, I finally finished a project that I could confidently call job-ready: a Netflix clone.

    It has all the basic functionalities the original one has. Users can sign up, sign in, create, edit, delete their profiles. After choosing their profile, there will be a video playing on the browse page and also Netflix 'lolomo' aka list of movies below. Users can also view certain Tv shows or movie details and search for their desired ones.

    Here is the live demo, and Github repo.

    What do you guys think? Do you think it's a job-ready project for a junior developer position? Any improvements or feedback highly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/Halmesn
    [link] [comments]

    A new HTTP spec proposes elimination of obnoxious “cookie banners”

    Posted: 18 Jun 2021 06:36 AM PDT

    Ethical alternatives to AWS?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2021 01:48 PM PDT

    Hey, so before I get into this, I'm not trying to make a political statement. I feel like Amazon being unethical in ways is sort of common knowledge given their union-busting and supply chain issues. I'm asking because I'm building a platform to democratically fund worker cooperatives, and scalability/performance is important as it's something between a social networking and a crowdfunding site and my social reach and launch plan mean there will be a fairly large surge in use. Since this is an innately progressive project, it's.. just sort of optically bad to have it running on AWS. Hopefully even people who disagree with me politically can empathize with that and appreciate a person trying to be consistent :)

    Robust control/installation privileges and hands-on terminal access is essential since I'm using GraphQL for client-side API and probably Flask/SQLAlchemy for backend work.

    By ethical, I'm referring specifically to 1) being environmentally sustainable (I know AWS has the 100% renewable initiative), and 2) treating workers ethically. Anybody know of viable alternatives to AWS that meet these parameters?

    P.S. sorry if it sounds like I'm talking out of my ass or have no clue what i'm talking about, this is my first big web dev project, I mainly do application programming and AI work and haven't deployed a big web app before

    P.P.S. if you're an independent or small host and sympathetic to my goals, get in touch!

    submitted by /u/JaysusMoon
    [link] [comments]

    How do these wires actually send web requests? Do they actually have a circuit for every single 0 and 1 making up every text character and every rgb colour? Aren't they sending millions of requests a second? Wouldn't that be like over 9000 trillion circuits?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2021 06:00 AM PDT

    Recommendations on resources for good design practices?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2021 02:44 PM PDT

    I am looking for some resources on UX/UI directed towards developers as I learn to code. I'd like to practice my code by replicating well designed layouts and learn what makes them good. As I practice I'd like to improve my design skills and decision making. Any good books or collections? Should I be asking this in a UX or UI sub...?

    submitted by /u/kirbita
    [link] [comments]

    Feeling "Stuck" as a Developer

    Posted: 18 Jun 2021 12:16 PM PDT

    I've been working professionally as a Web Developer for nearly 7 years, primarily on the front-end. I also have a handful of clients of my own. Despite the number of projects I have been involved in, with exception of a few, most have involved CMS systems like Wordpress using languages like HTML, CSS, and Javascript. Some Php sprinkled in here and there, and of course the frameworks/libraries like Sass, jQuery, Bootstrap, etc.

    I am concerned that while my experience grows in years, the technologies grow further away as the projects do not utilize newer tech and frameworks. What advice would you offer a web developer that feels "stuck," with no real experience, or need to learn, newer frameworks like Angular and React?

    submitted by /u/itsmesteveyp
    [link] [comments]

    Am I in over my head wanting to pursue FE web development?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2021 12:16 PM PDT

    I am a 30yo aircraft mechanic wanting a career switch. Though I'm kind of new to coding, it's definitely something I'd rather be doing. I don't really care about one day working for one of the big tech companies. I'm not expecting to make a lot of money. Just wanna know before I devote a shit ton of hours learning everything I need.

    submitted by /u/badfishBSSM
    [link] [comments]

    I think small details like visual and audio feedback is a secret ingredient that will make your JavaScript games much better

    Posted: 18 Jun 2021 06:19 AM PDT

    Question about JavaScript commands in chrome developer tools

    Posted: 18 Jun 2021 11:51 AM PDT

    hey, So basically I have a problem and I need some help to solve it.

    here is a command : document.querySelector('selector').__reactProps$rq1jfnzwgw.children.props.onVerify('some text','foo-bar')

    So I am trying to run this command, however the command changes each time you go to the website as the part __reactProps$rq1jfnzwgw changes the last 10 digits each time.

    So it always starts with __reactProps$ then there is random 10 letters and numbers.

    How would I make the command automatically set the last 10 digits in __reactProps$rq1jfnzwgw change to the correct value from the website. Because when you type the command in dev tools the correct text does show up and autocompletes when you press enter. Is there a way I can edit the command so it will do this ?

    Edit: also the command will be automated so I won't be able to use the auto complete when you type in. So I need one command that will work even when the last 10 digits are changed

    I have been searching online for the past 4 hours and still haven't found anything to help me, a friend of mine said that using regular expressions might be able to help - but I couldn't find any information on how to do it

    Any help would be greatly appreciated and I thank you in advanced if you are able to help me :)

    submitted by /u/a-r__
    [link] [comments]

    Resources to Learn How the Web Works?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2021 03:33 PM PDT

    I'm a CS major who's interning this summer at a big tech company. My job is mostly data science/ML related, but has a pretty strong web dev component. I'm realizing quickly that, although I know HTML/CSS/JS and can do simple things in React and Node/Django, I have basically 0 clue how anything works under the hood, or how any of it fits together. Although I've been able to follow along with beginner tutorials (making todo lists, etc.), I've never done much on my own and certainly can't do anything complex (like be a full-stack dev of my own site, for instance).

    I'm looking for resources for how the web works - how do HTML requests work, how APIs work, how the front end communicates with the back end, etc.

    Please note that I'm not looking for HTML/CSS/JS/Node/React tutorials - if anything, the more "theoretical" or the more removed your suggestion is from practice, the better. Books, a curated series of articles, good youtube vids/channels are all good.

    I know I can just google the things I'm interested, but the main problem is that I don't know what I don't know - a curated learning path would be a great help.

    submitted by /u/throwaway613514
    [link] [comments]

    Personal preferences on using CSS libraries or writing your own

    Posted: 18 Jun 2021 10:22 AM PDT

    Okay, so basically I am just out looking at what other developers do to get some of my own inspiration on how to proceed with my project. As of now, I am using some CSS libraries like normalize.css and flexboxgrid just to get some sense of structure on my design. I have looked at tailwindcss as an alternative too instead of writing most of the CSS myself. I know there are both up/downsides to both. But looking for other peoples opinions on this matter. To be a bit more specific, what I am working with is a Laravel backend with VueJS in the front. I saw earlier today that one should get the design done first, before scratching the backend, so that is basically what I am trying to do right now.

    Sorry if this does not fit in here.

    TLDR: Use multiple libraries, single library (like tailwind) or create my own "framework" for styling my project. Looking for opinions from other people.

    submitted by /u/kaizokupuffball
    [link] [comments]

    Where to learn more about ecommerce standards?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2021 06:15 AM PDT

    I'm just trying to learn more about ecommerce on the dev side but I'm having a difficult time finding good resources on things like popular platforms and features, tech stacks. Just sort of general info about ecommerce but I'm having a hard time finding good stuff. Does anyone have a website that is better than all these blogs I find? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/plasmaSunflower
    [link] [comments]

    Architecture of Website with many Large / HD Images

    Posted: 18 Jun 2021 05:39 PM PDT

    I'm looking to build a web application which allows users to upload and edit collections of HD images. When I say collections, I mean 5-10 images, each ranging from 5-20MB each.

    Frontend is my strength so I'm not too sure how to architecture this from a backend point of view in a way which is scalable (potentially 15k daily active users, not concurrent). I've been struggling to find resources on how to design the backend and what infrastructure would be ideal.

    Any input would be more than appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Yetamot
    [link] [comments]

    What is this asking me to do? First week of learning, every now and then I get this pending change in the 'Source Control' section of VSC. I'm not sure what it is or what it's asking me to do.

    Posted: 18 Jun 2021 01:28 PM PDT

    I tried to play around with approaches for reactivity in the dom, here is what i've started on/come up with (hobby-project)

    Posted: 18 Jun 2021 04:47 PM PDT

    Hobby project. If you find it interesting, then feel free to look at the code.

    submitted by /u/Smaanrocker
    [link] [comments]

    Ten years of Web Components

    Posted: 18 Jun 2021 03:50 PM PDT

    What are your favorite tools for e2e testing and why?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2021 11:48 AM PDT

    Currently switching to cypress, but I'm not fully convinced yet. Would like to hear your thoughts.

    submitted by /u/m1212e
    [link] [comments]

    How much scope of work detail should I expect in a web app development contract?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2021 02:55 PM PDT

    Found a company I like and their previous work looks good. We didn't make a formal spec document but talked through all the features and functions. But in the contract it just says deliverables are "wireframes, UI design, coding, QA", etc. No timeline or milestones. Nothing details.

    Is that typical? Is it just assumed that the stuff we discussed is the scope of work? This seems a bit sketchy to me but I've never done this before.

    submitted by /u/powerful_bread_lobby
    [link] [comments]

    Stripe Api Question

    Posted: 18 Jun 2021 11:06 AM PDT

    Im currently making a simple landing page from scratch (html, scss, and vanilla JavaScript) and want to use stripe to utilize apple pay for donations. Is this possible with just these 3 technologies? Im only familiar with the frontend (no frameworks or wordpress). But am willing to learn anything to figure it out.

    submitted by /u/DMTLives
    [link] [comments]

    TypeScript or JavaScript

    Posted: 18 Jun 2021 02:43 PM PDT

    I have been learning Java for creating web apis and want to start with frontend, considering that I would learn Vue or React at some point what should I start learning JavaScript or TypeScript?

    submitted by /u/MConanE
    [link] [comments]

    Setting up new dev PC - does app install order (Node, PHP, Python, IDE, PHP, Git, Yarn, Docker, etc.) matter?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2021 02:08 PM PDT

    I'm setting up a new work machine (Windows 10) and I'm wondering if it makes a difference what order I install all my apps.

    e.g. should I install local PHP, Python, Apache, Docker (or ??) first and THEN Node/NPM/Yarn, then IDEs... or vice versa... or does it make any difference.

    My gut feeling is that apps with dependencies will tell me to install them but I want the smoothing setup process as possible.

    submitted by /u/kirkbross
    [link] [comments]

    Got a conditional offer for a new job but first, the company needs to speak with my current employer

    Posted: 18 Jun 2021 05:13 AM PDT

    Basically the title. I don't think I'll have to explain why this is a tough situation. Obviously, I want to get the new job but what if there's a hiccup? What if I don't get an official offer and I gotta go back to my current job with my employer being contacted about me potentially moving on? Has anyone been in a similar position? Is this something common? I'm really not sure how to proceed. Obviously saying "No, don't contact my current employer" could raise some concerns but then if I allow it things could go massively wrong if I don't get the new job. Help!

    submitted by /u/nikgos
    [link] [comments]

    Best web programming projects to take on as a beginner?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2021 09:16 AM PDT

    I am planning to hone my html and css skills over the summer break and I learn the best when programming instead of watching a tutorial. What are some good projects to take on?

    submitted by /u/Spiritbomb6789
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment