• Breaking News

    Tuesday, May 11, 2021

    Was bored and decided to browse some Electron apps. Came across DevBook. Incredible app that lets you search StackOverflow and documentation super quick web developers

    Was bored and decided to browse some Electron apps. Came across DevBook. Incredible app that lets you search StackOverflow and documentation super quick web developers


    Was bored and decided to browse some Electron apps. Came across DevBook. Incredible app that lets you search StackOverflow and documentation super quick

    Posted: 11 May 2021 11:39 AM PDT

    I just found the fucking memory leak in my fucking React application

    Posted: 11 May 2021 03:54 PM PDT

    Fuck yes.

    I would like to dedicate this post to the sleep I am about to have.

    submitted by /u/artluxint
    [link] [comments]

    How to get some organic viewers on a website?

    Posted: 11 May 2021 01:02 AM PDT

    Hello there! I've recently started my personal blog and created a webpage dedicated to it. Unfortunately for me, my webpage is not that popular yet. I wonder if there are any tips on how to increase the number of viewers for web pages? I would like to tell you in advance that I'm looking for some organic and low-cost methods to increase the number of visitors.

    A couple of years ago, I created my account on Instagram, where I shared some lifestyle tips and tutorials. I posted many pictures of the stuff I'm interested in, and I've gained some audience that supported me in my views. Some people have shared with me their problems, and I helped them with the solution. I always give advice or some recommendations in certain life situations and how to overcome them.

    Luckily for me, I quickly gained many followers on Instagram. They motivated me to create my own Youtube channel, which I also promoted through my Insta account. As a result, I've got many viewers on my YouTube channel. I even started to make some money on it. Of course, it wasn't a lot, but at least that money helped me cover my internet bill and some other utility bills. Anyway, my viewers stimulated me to take another step and create my own webpage, where I post some articles about lifestyle hacks and tips.

    Unfortunately for me, my webpage is not that popular, while I thought it could bring me some income. For some reason, not so many people read what I'm writing about. I even suspect that my followers on YouTube and Instagram don't check my webpage.

    At the same time, I heard that it is possible to increase web traffic organically. I know that companies like this one — https://www.cardinaldigitalmarketing.com/services/seo/ can help in increasing web traffic and promoting a site. I wonder if one of you has tried their services and did they bring any result?

    Besides, can you please share some tips on how to promote a webpage for free?

    submitted by /u/pamtilaqf
    [link] [comments]

    Underestimated Web Dev Project - Should I be paid for the overtime hours?

    Posted: 11 May 2021 01:44 AM PDT

    So basically the client asked for a project cost and timeframe. It was agreed for $2000 for 24hrs of web dev work.

    It was unfortunately a much more difficult task than anticipated. Meaning I've worked 40+hrs. What is the normal protocol here? Is it my fault that I underestimated and shouldn't ask for the additional hours paid. Or should I be entitled to those extra hours worked to get it finished?

    submitted by /u/ITbJD
    [link] [comments]

    What do you like to use for personal full-stack projects?

    Posted: 11 May 2021 07:21 AM PDT

    I'm not sure exactly what I want to make yet, but I'd like to try to make a modern full-stack app as a learning experience soon. I know there are a lot of options but am not sure really what is best to go with. Ultimately this is mostly for the learning experience and to put on my resume, so I'm trying to maximize value. I've used netlify for static sites but don't know much about the required tools to make a full stack app. Firebase? AWS? Any help is greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/turtbot
    [link] [comments]

    Any recommended APIs for sales tax rate look up in USA?

    Posted: 11 May 2021 12:18 PM PDT

    I'm in search of an API that will provide the total sales tax needed for a given address. I looked into Avalara, but their pricing is for their entire POS feature. I just need a simple cheap sales tax lookup.

    submitted by /u/CheapChallenge
    [link] [comments]

    Creating Colorful, Smart Shadows

    Posted: 11 May 2021 05:42 AM PDT

    Live streaming audio from a page to another

    Posted: 11 May 2021 01:13 PM PDT

    Hi!

    I started a project with a couple of friends, we're developing some concepts in a local environment on a raspberry, and was wondering how i would go at tackling live streaming in an Angular environment since i happen not many resources on the internet.

    I basically want to be able to stream audio from a page and be able to listen it from another. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/summerwaif6434
    [link] [comments]

    URL protocol handler registration for PWAs

    Posted: 11 May 2021 12:18 AM PDT

    How many backend languages is too many?

    Posted: 11 May 2021 08:48 AM PDT

    I am considering learning my 3rd backend language (Node.js).

    My go-to languages are PHP (Laravel) and Python (Flask & Django).

    What would you advise:

    1. Mastering the framework I currently know
    2. Learning new frameworks for the languages which I already know
    3. Learning an entirely new backend language.

    I suppose my goals are:

    1. To further improve my understanding of web development (using different languages helps to abstract concepts: routing, config, migrations, MVC, etc.)
    2. To have more flexibility: choosing the right language & framework for the right job.
    submitted by /u/lewz3000
    [link] [comments]

    Height vs padding vs Margin : confusion

    Posted: 11 May 2021 09:59 AM PDT

    Hello Everyone,

    Need an understanding on a below scenario where i need a space between h2 and paragraph in the div. Want h2 on top and paragraph in the middle.

    I used padding-bottom, margin-bottom and height properties alternatively by using one and commenting the other two and got the result, but don't know when and where to use "which" property out of the three and what's the best practice!!

    I am aware of the fact that margin is used for providing the space between the elements, padding is for providing the space between content and its border but it seems like i am a tough cookie where i am kind a confused..

    P.S. - Forgive me for my English.

    <div class = "conatiner"> <h2> This is heading </h2> <p> This is paragraph </p> </div>

    Below is the CSS :

    *{ margin:0; padding:0; box-sizing :border-box; } html{ font-size:62.5%; }

    .container{ background: green; min-height : 100vh; text-align: center; font-size : 2rem }

    div h2{ padding-bottom : 45.2rem; margin-bottom : 40rem; height : 50.2rem; }

    submitted by /u/knight1567
    [link] [comments]

    Stylelint plugin to force usage of tailwind classes to reduce the creation of custom css https://www.npmjs.com/package/stylelint-plugin-enforce-atomics I really want to know your opinion about this plugin :) It's more PoC than the final product.

    Posted: 11 May 2021 03:48 PM PDT

    How to create fancy animated loading screens?

    Posted: 11 May 2021 08:15 AM PDT

    I'm not talking about the garden variety loading spinners you can get off of loading.io and the like which use CSS animations and transformations to create simple shapes. I'm thinking of the loading screens like this one, on Deno's API documentation page, which consists of two dinosaurs walking forward and the text performing a cool wave like effect.

    submitted by /u/A_Cinnamon_Babka
    [link] [comments]

    Any good places to learn how to publish a website?

    Posted: 11 May 2021 03:41 PM PDT

    Kind of a weird question but i have knowledge with HTML5, CSS, JavaScript Typescript and other programming lenguajes for online development but i really don't know how to put this all together in order to create and launch a website. I also have some knowledge on SQL database but don't know how to add that to the page. Anyone knows any online course or someone who can teach me (for a price :) of course) How to tie all of this up? Thank you in advance and have a great day!

    submitted by /u/raggatat9
    [link] [comments]

    Building a simple Restaurant Menu webpage with ordering functionality. What are some ways to deliver the user selection to the restaurant staff?

    Posted: 11 May 2021 05:55 AM PDT

    The webpage will list of all the items with a JavaScript cart system similar to e-cCommerce websites but without payment functionality. Just collect the user selection and deliver it to the restaurant staff.

    There is a cart page which will list all the items and the total. The customer also has to enter the table number which is then sent along with the order.

    This cart page has to be delivered to the restaurant. I considered 2 simple ways,

    • Convert the cart items into a string and deliver it via a WhatsApp message using their API (api.whatsapp.com/send?phone=123456789&text=Cart_Content).
    • The same as above but via email.

    Issues with these methods,

    • Whatsapp method: Privacy. People would not be comfortable sharing their personal whatsapp number.
    • Email method: Lack of an identifier. The first method had a user identifier in the phone number of the user. The staff could easily tell where the orders are coming from as whatsapp lists messages from a user separately. With email there would be a separate thread for every order creating confusion. Moreover, the restaurant staff are not very comfortable using the email interface.

    The first way was very ideal for many reasons including simplicity (for me and the restaurant) but user privacy is the major issue.

    I've been racking my brain trying to find other ways to deliver user data but so far I've been unsuccessful and so I am here asking for any suggestions.

    submitted by /u/fbenmart
    [link] [comments]

    Advice for learning path in a small town?

    Posted: 11 May 2021 03:33 PM PDT

    Gonna try and stay on track here but my ADHD makes no promises.

    Quick background: I did a little bit of programming (C+, HTML and an intro to CSS) in high school but I've basically forgotten all of that (15+ years ago). On a whim, I decided to start learning Python using Automate the Boring Stuff with Python and browsing through different programming subs. I'm only 6 chapters in and I find I actually quite enjoy Python but I'm also actively looking to make a career change as what I do now is draining the life out of me. It seems like webdev is a better path for me, especially in my small town in the middle of Canada, if my goal is to quit my current job. My plan would be to come back to Python for backend support down the road but it seems that learning front end development is a better choice for employment.

    I'm not a designer in the sense of using Photoshop to make beautiful things but I have a good eye for layouts and plan to take the Google UX course to build some fundamentals in that area.

    I've started going through the Zero to Hero article to guide me through HTML and CSS and then move to Part 2 for JS. It seems that the standard advice is to learn HTML, CSS and JS but I haven't seen much behind the reasoning or what to do with it. Maybe that'll come yet?

    Most of the local agencies are design and marketing agencies that just use modified Wordpress themes for their websites. It's not what I would actually want to do but it's what's available here. If my goal is employment with a local agency while I continue to learn and build my portfolio with the intent of eventually being able to go out on my own (maybe with a design partner), what should I be doing now to get to a level to qualify for employment as quickly as possible? I'm not looking for a short timeline. I realize it'll take a while to learn the necessary skills but is 6-9 months realistic while also dealing with a full time job, family, and kids? How would you do it?

    submitted by /u/AnotherLostRedditor
    [link] [comments]

    Complexities of TOR: Halloween Edition

    Posted: 11 May 2021 09:24 AM PDT

    I just made my own website after a lot of efforts especially because it's my first proper website and I literally did this without ANYONE's help. It's just been up for about 3 days. I hope you like my second blog post: An Unsolicited Site || The complexities of Tor: Halloween edition. To anyone who reads, thank you.

    submitted by /u/0ajs0jas
    [link] [comments]

    How are the new Macbook Airs for webdev these days?

    Posted: 11 May 2021 03:19 PM PDT

    I'm leaning hard towards a new windows laptop for (mostly) web dev just because it's what I'm used to, plus WSL is nice. Swift development is now possible on windows as well which is fantastic, and of course the little .net work I do is at home on windows too.

    But man, those new M1 chips translate to a huge battery and performance win that I doubt a new Surface laptop 4 or XPS 15 will match.

    But the new chip is Arm, so I'm not sure how the typical web dev tooling is working there. I would appreciate it if someone using the new laptops could chime in with their exoeriences.

    Specifically, is it still easy to get up and going with typical web dev tools like vscode, nodejs, git, .net core, python, php, as well design tools like Adobe Xd, Photoshop, and productivity stuff like office?

    submitted by /u/Kinthalis
    [link] [comments]

    Considering migrating to lerna mono but have different deployment strategies

    Posted: 11 May 2021 03:14 PM PDT

    Hello Reddit,

    How can I solve different deployment strategies for each Lerna package?

    So at work we have so many repos, and creating more repos to share code. Getting something merged in is crazy because PRs need to get merged. Too many moving parts with 8+ growing repos.

    2 repo uses codeship to deploy and the rest uses GitHub Actions.. all of these goto a different cloud run instance.

    How can I handle CI with Lerna packages?

    submitted by /u/codingideas
    [link] [comments]

    A Look at Tailwind CSS

    Posted: 11 May 2021 05:52 AM PDT

    How can I change the HTML file of a website so when I visit it uses my code?

    Posted: 11 May 2021 02:35 PM PDT

    Sorry my English is bad and I don't know if I explained it correctly.

    You can do the same thing with CSS, thanks to the Stylus extension. So when I visit a website it uses my CSS settings instead of using the default one that the website uses. But can I do the same thing with HTML? Is there a extension like that available to do that?

    submitted by /u/YVSH-27
    [link] [comments]

    Not sure ow to distinguish between what happens on client vs server side

    Posted: 11 May 2021 10:49 AM PDT

    Can someone give me an example of a functionality for example here on the Reddit app, and explain to me which parts of it work on the client and which parts work on the server side? What logic is done on the cloud and what logic will not?

    submitted by /u/drizzlingcookies
    [link] [comments]

    I honestly need help understanding the hosting of REST APIs

    Posted: 11 May 2021 02:33 PM PDT

    Posted this on stackoverflow and got instant deleted. Maybe I asked incorrectly or in the wrong place.

    But I have a question that is holding me back and I cannot find answers.

    What is the proper way to host a REST API? With or without a web server application like Nginx or Apache? Most technologies like Node.js or DotNet Core (I'm not sure about Java/Spring) allow you to write applications that serve requests as soon as their running, without needing to be installed into a web server application.

    Do I install my REST API into a server application, or do I just run the application from the command line? Which way is more proper? What's the right way to do it without a web server application if that is a viable option?

    Thanks in advance for any guidance. I may be asking incorrectly, but I lack expertise in this area.

    submitted by /u/_Keplerr
    [link] [comments]

    How NodeLists work, and looping through them

    Posted: 11 May 2021 10:45 AM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment