• Breaking News

    Tuesday, May 11, 2021

    Single youtube video increased my wishlist by 1800! How did it happen?

    Single youtube video increased my wishlist by 1800! How did it happen?


    Single youtube video increased my wishlist by 1800! How did it happen?

    Posted: 11 May 2021 01:47 AM PDT

    Chronology

    My game is called Jupiter Moons: Mecha. Checkout out this great article by Chris with event chronology. There is also great advice on why you should keep demo for your indie game:

    https://howtomarketagame.com/2021/05/10/keep-your-free-steam-demo-up-forever/

    Great read, right? I highly encourage you all to join Chris discord, it's a great place to get feedback and advice. I wouldn't be in the place I'm right now if it wasn't Chris's blog & discord.

    How it all started? Over a month ago I wrote a postmortem on how I got 4000 wishlists, go check it out: https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/mgcnni/ive_hit_over_4000_wishlists_with_my_unreleased/

    Current situation

    Things started to really snowball over a month ago. Right now I have 7000 wishlists, it's insane! I'm really happy that year of game marketing is finally starting to pay off.

    Wishlist stats: wishlist chart

    How splattercat video affected my game apart from direct wishlist gains?

    It got me into Top Wishlist games on Steam! Apparently, you need around 5500 wishlists to appear in top wishlists. Very nice things started to happen because of that. Steam is showing my game a lot more compared to previous periods.

    Even more charts

    Impressions chart: impressions chart

    A lot more people are playing my demo since the video, it's holding around 40 daily users (was below 10 before): demo players chart

    Also, check how many visits to the steam page this video brought compared to the steam festival and my march 30 Reddit posts (link above): visits chart from GA

    How game progress on top wishlist chart since splatt video: top wishlist progression

    Looks like to be at position 900 on the top wishlist you need around 7000 wishlists.

    I also learned that the card game genre is pretty saturated right now, those are all negative comments under the video: comments

    Resources

    Blogs and communities that helped and still helping me with gamedev & marketing:

    submitted by /u/tanku2222
    [link] [comments]

    Are there any articles breaking down Death Stranding's movement mechanics?

    Posted: 10 May 2021 04:36 PM PDT

    Recently started playing Death Stranding and I have absolutely fallen in love with how the movement feels. From one moment to the next I am really having fun lugging around packages and maneuvering through the terrain. I figure there is some sort of procedural animation in place (IK + standard animations) but I would love to read anything by the developers on how exactly they achieved it. The feeling of climbing a mountain is superb and I would love to get more detail about how they implemented these controls and fine tuned them. Googling hasn't turned anything up so far

    submitted by /u/theslopdrudge
    [link] [comments]

    The mistakes I've made in my first year of learning Unity

    Posted: 11 May 2021 11:25 AM PDT

    Hello. Today I'd like to tell you, about the mistakes that I've made and things I've learned after making games in Unity for 1 Year. I hope this will be helpful to some of you. One year might not seem like a lot, but I thought I'd share my experiences with you guys. In the last year, I've made 7 games in total. Some where smaller projects, created in a weekend, and on others I've been working on for multiple months (part time, because I have school).

    Here's what I'd like to tell you:

    1. When learning a new game engine, don't approach a big project right away. My first Unity game was made in 1 week. It wasn't anything special, it was just a simple 2D Platformer, you've probably seen tons of them before. I did not publish the game, but it was a great learning experience for me, because I've learned incredibly much about the Unity game engine in that one week. I recommend doing this to anybody learning a new game engine.
    2. Take breaks, especially during game jams. I had to learn this the hard way. I participated in a one Week game jam. It was really fun, but I made a huge mistake: The HTML just didn't work. However, I really wanted to get it working, because many people don't download game jam games and I feared that nobody would even play my game. I spent 7 hours straight trying to fix the bug (and yes I asked google and stackoverflow but they couldn't help me). I didn't solve the issue in these seven hours and I felt ill afterwards and I even needed to puke. The next morning, I solved the issue in a couple of minutes. Just don't do too much, I was burned out. Take a break, go outside. It's the most important thing this game jam has taught me.
    3. Participate in bigger game jams. The game jam I participated in had only 100 participants. I got one feedback comment, so it was really not worth it to risk my health for that. While there is more competition in a bigger game jam, there are more people and if you play other peoples games, they will also play your games (like in Ludum Dare).
    4. Don't compare yourself to others. This is one of the worst things you can do. You will always envy other game developers on reddit or youtube doing lots of incredible stuff. It might be hard but don't compare yourself to them. Especially when you don't have that much experience with an engine (in my case Unity). You're just starting, you can't be the best game developer in the world right away. There will always be people better than you. Be proud of what you are creating and keep going! My games are not the best as well and I even hate some of them I've made. You'll probably agree that they are nothing compared things you see on Reddit sometimes: (It's 4 minutes long) https://youtu.be/5GMxYyk8kfM). But you'll always improve. One year ago, when I made the 2D Platformer Game, I couldn't have guessed that I'd be making a 3D game right now (I made a little documentary of the games I've made in the last year.

    You guys are probably way more experienced than me, but I hope these tips where helpful to some of you. What did you learn in your first year of using the game engine you're using right now? Please tell me in the comments. :-)

    Have a nice day!

    submitted by /u/ShinyEmeraldGames
    [link] [comments]

    Should I stick to making textures an unified size (16*16, 32*32...) regardless of the target, or scale them to make them fit perfectly ?

    Posted: 11 May 2021 08:56 AM PDT

    My problem is that when making textures for 2D games, I often encounter a stretching problem : the texture doesn't quite have the same size or proportions as the area it's supposed to fill, so I sometimes get weird artifacts. As a total beginner, the solution I've chosen for now is tailoring the textures to make them the exact same size as the target ; this is however a little annoying, as I have to measure what I precisely need, and if I change anything, I have to redraw every single asset.

    So what should I consider doing ? Have all my textures be, say, 16*16, regardless of anything? And if I do so, only work with targets of the exact same size ?

    submitted by /u/KrozmaSan
    [link] [comments]

    Best ways to create underwater level boundaries without blantanly break the illusion of the wide ocean?

    Posted: 11 May 2021 05:44 AM PDT

    Okay everyone, i can't think of any way to create a believable boundary for a underwater level. Working on a vr project as a 3d artist and wanted to pull in some advice from you all. Can't tell to much information about the project but yea will try to give as much insight as possible to find a good solution.

    Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

    Edit: Gameplay - research based gameplay. Realistic setting, no scifi or fantasy stuff involved. Environment - open ocean with different hight of water depth.

    submitted by /u/Deathasti
    [link] [comments]

    I found a way to change text FONT in the entire game all at once! The struggle is over!

    Posted: 11 May 2021 07:26 AM PDT

    You must learn to subtract your bias from your content if you are going to make a fun game.

    Posted: 10 May 2021 01:11 PM PDT

    You have this idea in your head for a fun mechanic, but you run into a technical issue, you spend days trying to figure out a work around. BOOM! A signal from above hits your brain like lightning...

    THIS CAN WORK!

    You get to coding, it takes a lot of iterations, but you've finally get it sorta working. You polish and adjust things, finally you get the thing in and working.

    Every single time you load your game you feel a sense of pride and accomplishment, look at my tiny little mechanical marvel! You can envision all the working parts in your head, you can think back on all the long hours iterating and polishing to get it to all work in tandem to be this beautiful machine.

    You have a biased outlook on this system, you have an attachment beyond what the user will experience engaging with this system and because of this, you must be keenly aware of this bias, or you will expand on and keep systems that are negatively influencing your game with large overheads and upkeep.

    As you get feedback and remove the system, part of you dies inside, your ability to work at 100% on the project has been markedly affected. Not only did you lose weeks of work, permanent damage has been done moving forward in terms of motivation, in terms of being able to put in 10 hour days consistently.

    So be painfully truthful to yourself about how things are influencing your game. The investment aside, how much does a new system make your game more fun? How much will this system take up room that could have been used for more agile systems that were more fun and expandable? How much do these things lock you in place and prevent your game from growing and becoming better in the future? How "experimental" is it? How can you be sure it's fun?

    I'm not trying to convince you not to innovate, it's all about finding the right balance, and learning to be mindful of going down rabbit holes that do not pay dividends down the line. Being aware of this bias as you make these mistakes will help you learn much faster!

    We've all seen this from a player perspective... how many times have we been playing a game and seen some crazy mini game, or expansive system that you barely fiddle with at all and wonder, "GEEZE, how much time and effort went into this little side thing I'm barely going to engage with!?" It's easy to forget about it a moment later, but somewhere out there some developer spent countless hours to create something that had near 0 impact.

    How much YOU enjoy something in your game means NOTHING in regards to its mass appeal. The only thing that matters is what the player thinks. YOU may want to create a groundbreaking new weapon with crazy new mechanics and functionality, but all the player wants to be happy is a steady progression of power and the next bigger rocket launcher that makes things go boom.

    submitted by /u/IllTemperedTuna
    [link] [comments]

    My game triggers antivirus

    Posted: 11 May 2021 06:20 AM PDT

    Help! My game, (rat world) triggers antivirus to go off. My cousin downloaded it and befor he downloaded it it said that it could possibly be a virus! I don't know what triggered it. I also have a prototype of the game up that DOESNT trigger antivirus. The only code I added was a quit button and a kill barrier. This is my most viewed game, but people won't download it because they think it is a virus! Please help me and if you ask I can send you the code for the quit button.

    submitted by /u/alegateryt
    [link] [comments]

    Alternatives to mixamo?

    Posted: 11 May 2021 08:27 AM PDT

    Not able to open mixamo today. Any other websites that give free characters and animations for using in unreal engine?

    submitted by /u/nancity
    [link] [comments]

    Mathematical topics to learn for programming/GameDev?

    Posted: 11 May 2021 08:27 AM PDT

    Hi all, I'm learning programming in my spare time, specifically game development in C# and Java.

    My knowledge of mathematics is slightly limited, having only studied it up to a Highschool level.

    What mathematical topics would you all consider to be the most important to learn when programming in this field? I'm currently going through a course in Matrices and Vectors, but I know that there will be more topics I should be learning about.

    Any info or advice is appreciated. Thanks everyone :)

    submitted by /u/HabiRabbit
    [link] [comments]

    I'm making a pool to share a year of Milanote pro if anyone is interested.

    Posted: 11 May 2021 12:01 PM PDT

    I don't want to pay $10 per month for a Milanote pro subscription, so I'm looking for people to pool together and share a 50 member yearly plan for 80% off, plus I have an additional 30% off coupon. If we can get 50 people total, everyone would only have to pay $16.63 for a whole year, which is equivalent to $1.39 per month. I've made a paypal pool for this if anyone is interested in joining. https://paypal.me/pools/c/8zmz2oeZ8N

    submitted by /u/mendorr
    [link] [comments]

    Wanna learn how DOOM got made on the Jag? Bill Rehbock was responsible for some of the biggest releases on the Atari Jaguar (inc DOOM, Super Burnout and Atari Karts) whilst also being the former vice president of Sony's R&D team. He truly has a tale to tell! Enjoy this lovely podcast interview:

    Posted: 11 May 2021 11:48 AM PDT

    Learn Blender + Godot to learn level design or stick with bigger industry 3D software/engines?

    Posted: 11 May 2021 11:40 AM PDT

    Learn Blender + Godot to learn 3D level design or stick with bigger industry software/engines?

    So I'm NOT trying to make a 3D game solo (hell no) but rather want to create old game levels for fun/learning and maybe test them out or make a fan made demo at most.

    This youtuber gave me a spark after seeing his fan remade level of Donkey Kong Country:

    https://youtu.be/ixl2TGIvGUA

    My concerns are:

    1) if I stick with Blender & Godot to learn/create/test my designs can I transfer those hand made levels to other engine if I switch for whatever reason?

    2) would it be better to learn on something like Unreal or Unity + ProBuilder?

    3) Can I transfer the skills I will learn on Blender to other tools like Maya if I get lucky and get a job in the industry years down the road?

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Can_I_Say_Shit
    [link] [comments]

    Wall jump opinion in metroidvania

    Posted: 11 May 2021 11:18 AM PDT

    What's you opinion about wall jumping in a 2d metroidvania game? I know how to do it, but I'm not sure if i want it or not in my game.

    I made some research on the subject, and i found people talking about "sliding wall jump" and "falling wall jump" and I can't find out what's the difference between those. Anyone know those terms?

    submitted by /u/mooglerain24
    [link] [comments]

    Where can I read about combat design?

    Posted: 11 May 2021 11:17 AM PDT

    I wanna study combat from a variety of games.
    Today, for instance, I googled "Turn Based combat design" and I didnt quite find what I was looking for.
    Are there any sites, books or chanels that you reccomend?

    submitted by /u/J0eza
    [link] [comments]

    Is ct.js a good choice for a first-timer to make a RPG?

    Posted: 11 May 2021 05:10 AM PDT

    I checked the FAQ but there's no mention of ct.js in there, so not sure if it's just new or if that means nobody uses it!

    I'm going to be stuck at home for a while and just trying to fill the time with some creative pursuits. I wrote a novel that I'm pretty happy with, and I've wanted to try making a video game for a while, so I figured, why not just try and make my novel into a little video game. My original plan was a text-based thing using Twine, but I think making a RPG style game might be more fulfilling and take me more out of my comfort zone.

    I'm picturing top-down graphics like Final Fantasy 3, with dialogue choices, affection mechanics for a few NPCs, and a time management system a bit like Persona 5 where you only have so many bits of free time, and you have to think carefully about how you spend them. No battle system or inventory management.

    So with all that in mind, is ct.js a good choice? Do you think I'll be able to get to grips with it being that I have no experience, and will I be able to make a game like the one I've described?

    Thank you so much for any advice, I really appreciate it.

    submitted by /u/badmotherfolker
    [link] [comments]

    Should game servers be broken up into clusters?

    Posted: 11 May 2021 07:21 AM PDT

    Say you have a powerful single server that can process 200 clients. Is it better to leave it as a single server that can process 200 clients or create 4 virtual instances of the server that process 50 clients each?

    I'm taking a few shallow steps into containerizing and clusterizing various things on my tower and I'm wondering if there's some clear benefit to breaking up the servers besides some degree of high availability and being able to update without taking everything offline.

    submitted by /u/Tomnnn
    [link] [comments]

    How To Get Started With Blender and Unreal Engine

    Posted: 10 May 2021 07:34 PM PDT

    Publishing android game in 2021

    Posted: 11 May 2021 10:25 AM PDT

    Hello guys,

    I am a game developer for about 7 years now. I have worked on lots of games but never were able to release one of them. I am working on mobile and windows games only so far.

    I am currently working on a app that I really wanna publish to public in near future via the Playstore. So my question is what is the best way for publishing a mobile game in 2021?

    Should you get in contact with publisher or market your game on your own?

    If publisher, what is the best way to get in contact with them?

    If no publisher, what should you do to get the best results for your game?

    How much money you can earn with working with a publisher?

    submitted by /u/Apprehensive_Spot_58
    [link] [comments]

    How to come up with game ideas?

    Posted: 11 May 2021 04:09 AM PDT

    I have been doing game dev for a few months now, made some games but I was just following tutorials for those. I can't come up with my own game ideas. Any tips?

    submitted by /u/Business-Procedure67
    [link] [comments]

    coordinates json

    Posted: 11 May 2021 09:47 AM PDT

    How do I get the coordinates of an object and save them in a json or other type of text format in unreal?

    submitted by /u/FranciscoShark
    [link] [comments]

    If I'm hoping to pursue a career in game design, should I hold on to my old graphing calculator?

    Posted: 11 May 2021 09:41 AM PDT

    Lately I have been selling some extra stuff lying around my apartment to help take the sting off my rent payments. I have an old Ti-84 graphing calculator that I'm considering selling, but I'm wondering if I may need it later. This may be a silly question, but how advanced does the math get in this career, and if I'm able to land a job, would I need an advanced calculator to help me?

    submitted by /u/question_quigley
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment