• Breaking News

    Friday, May 7, 2021

    Just got my first offer! (U.K.) learn programming

    Just got my first offer! (U.K.) learn programming


    Just got my first offer! (U.K.)

    Posted: 06 May 2021 02:28 AM PDT

    I've been learning web dev for the last 3 years and have been applying for jobs for the last 6 months. (I'm 27 btw)

    I applied for 200 jobs had 6 interviews and 4 technical tasks but I finally got offered a position at a company that I really wanted to work at as a junior full stack dev!

    I've been lurking in so many subreddits and watched countless hours of YouTube videos on programming so thank you to everyone who has posted, hopefully I'll be able to help others the way you've helped me!

    Edit*

    At request, to save digging through comments here is what the 3 years looked like

    It's worth noting that the first half of it was spent just exploring whether this was something that I wanted to pursue or if it was just a passing phase. You could do this in half the time probably

    Months 1-4 were spent just learning HTML & CSS. I didn't yet understand what JavaScript could do that I couldn't with CSS lmao

    Months 4-8 i learned that APIs were a thing and started Googling what were some easy ones to use (landed on giphy and the Manchester metrolink api) and made this Reddit account specifically for dev related subreddits. I found just reading what people were talking about and just googling the words I didn't understand helped a lot

    Months 8-12 I just practiced a bunch, I played around with python automation to try out another language and just looking at web scraping. I had my first stab at react and was overwhelmed

    Months 13-24 sorry for combining a bunch but it was largely the same throughout. I kept building sites, I'd go a few weeks without pushing to GitHub due to life taking over and other personal hobby projects taking over. I started picking up NodeJS, to take advantage of npm. Towards the end I finally got my head around react.

    Months 25 - now, i started really focussing. I built more and more in react. Used react with APIs to build bigger and bigger projects. After each one I'd look back on it and tear it apart as to what I'd do better. I'd just into harder projects and started using firebase to host the backend. When I was bored I'd build random mode projects like, one that lets me just feed pictures from the Twitter api, learning how to use the "Log in with X" oauth. Trying to have fun side projects from the main ones I was working on to keep things fun was key for me.

    In January I picked the projects I thought best showed my skills and made a portfolio site, threw them on there, updated my CV and started applying.

    I don't know if it would be worth talking about the code tests I did for companies and showing what I did, if that would be of any use to people

    submitted by /u/Liukaku
    [link] [comments]

    I'm getting a sort of mini-burnout after working hard on a big personal project for a week. What can I do to stop this?

    Posted: 07 May 2021 12:09 AM PDT

    I'm a student, and I've been learning programming for about 1.5 years now.

    I've been working on a big project for the last 7 months, and what I've observed during that time is that there are periods where I start to really get into it, coding for around 5 or 6 hours (with breaks) and thinking about the project all throughout the day. I love when this happens. But the problem is that after I do this for about a week, I start to feel unmotivated to code at all. I feel the need to take a complete break from coding for the next 2 or 3 days before I feel like working on it again. Has this happened to anyone before? It's not the complete burnout that happens over a few months that leaves you completely drained of your passion for coding, it's more like a temporary fatigue that you get once in a while when you've been working too hard.

    I have found that my sweet spot is working on my project for around 2-3 hours a day in one chunk. When I do this I could go on forever without feeling tired. But what I'm worried about is that 2-3 hours of stamina would be too less once I become a professional developer and get a job. Is that true? Is it possible to increase this stamina?

    submitted by /u/gohanshouldgetUI
    [link] [comments]

    Simplified xmlhttprequests with "xhr"

    Posted: 06 May 2021 06:43 PM PDT

    For beginners Ajax can be quite difficult. In order to understand and learn how xmlhttp requests work i recommend xhr - a simplified xmlhttp request library. Study the code and get a pro in requesting data from a server in no time!

    submitted by /u/era-net
    [link] [comments]

    How can I find all of the discrete points within an arbitrary polygon?

    Posted: 06 May 2021 05:34 PM PDT

    No, this isn't homework.

    I've been trying to write a small 2D physics engine, but I've come across a problem when trying to draw the polygons. If I have a list of points and a way to tell if a given point is within the area bounded by the list, how can I iterate through of the points in that area?

    As an example, say I have these points (with floating point coordinates):

    [2.86, 0.42] [2.83, 2.42] [0.64, 1.99] [1.44, 0.59] 

    I can approximate these points to a pixel grid and draw them using Bresenham's line algorithm. How can I get the coordinates of the pixels bounded by the lines?

    Here's an image I found to explain what I mean. Given the points, I can draw the red lines using Bresenham's algorithm, but I don't know how I would iterate through the pixels in the green area to fill it. I would prefer not to use a flood fill, as this is going to be run multiple times per second.

    submitted by /u/sonicstrychnine
    [link] [comments]

    What are the innovations of COBOL?

    Posted: 06 May 2021 04:31 PM PDT

    A lot of the talk around COBOL seems oriented around two things:

    • it makes up a lot of legacy code bases ("spaghetti code" "unstructured" "nobody knows what it does") so it has similar problems to, say, a FORTRAN mathematical model in that it is more likely to have been written by someone who wasn't aware of industry standards because they either didn't exist yet or the person's primary job wasn't programming.
    • the language itself was not a product of the contemporaneous CS in-group ( "designed by committee" "the first enterprise language").

    Neither of these things has much to do with COBOL in particular. I recently read that it was the first language with records/structs and there are some features about it that seem headed toward literate programming. Are there any other innovations?

    submitted by /u/SpecificMachine1
    [link] [comments]

    Coding Bootcamp A Good Route?

    Posted: 06 May 2021 10:22 PM PDT

    So I've already posted here once but I didn't get too much attention from it. I'm 19 and have a 3 week old baby while in University for Mechanical Engineering. I currently make 30k or so but its very very tight. I dont want to be broke as hell until my kid is in Kindergarten. Are coding bootcamps viable with no degree at all? Every time I read someone's post or watch a video they always have a unrelated degree, but still have one. Would love for anyone to reach out

    submitted by /u/Past_Inevitable_7992
    [link] [comments]

    I'm getting a sort of mini-burnout after working hard on a big personal project for a week. What can I do to stop this?

    Posted: 07 May 2021 12:08 AM PDT

    I'm a student, and I've been learning programming for about 1.5 years now.

    I've been working on a big project for the last 7 months, and what I've observed during that time is that there are periods where I start to really get into it, coding for around 5 or 6 hours (with breaks) and thinking about the project all throughout the day. I love when this happens. But the problem is that after I do this for about a week, I start to feel unmotivated to code at all. I feel the need to take a complete break from coding for the next 2 or 3 days before I feel like working on it again. Has this happened to anyone before? It's not the complete burnout that happens over a few months that leaves you completely drained of your passion for coding, it's more like a temporary fatigue that you get once in a while when you've been working too hard.

    I have found that my sweet spot is working on my project for around 2-3 hours a day in one chunk. When I do this I could go on forever without feeling tired. But what I'm worried about is that 2-3 hours of stamina would be too less once I become a professional developer and get a job. Is that true? Is it possible to increase this stamina?

    submitted by /u/gohanshouldgetUI
    [link] [comments]

    companion book for google it automation with python specialization

    Posted: 07 May 2021 12:00 AM PDT

    Hi I have been taking google it automation with python specialization. I am basic python programming background. However, once I joined this program, I cannot do well on assignments. So I go back and do it again and again. But, sometimes it is quite exhausted. So I think I need to have some books that can explain the stuff google is trying to explain. Because I don't have much time to learn all these concepts. So I think book is better than other kind of resources. So that my plan is once I finish reading some stuff from book, I try to watch google course and finish assignment. So is there any book or resources that I can catch up the lessons quickly?

    submitted by /u/Super_AI_1086
    [link] [comments]

    Can someone explain this C naming convention to me? Book author uses lower case letters before custom struct types and names (t, s, g, etc.)

    Posted: 06 May 2021 05:57 PM PDT

    I'm reading Making Embedded Systems by Elecia White in order to fill a knowledge gap. I want to get into embedded as a career, but my school doesn't offer embedded courses.

    I'm not very familiar with C, but she uses this weird naming convention in her code examples that's I'm having a hard time finding an explanation for on Google. For example, when she declares a bool she uses tBoolean. When she creates a struct she uses sLogStruct for the type name, but gLogData for the object name in the below example.

    What do those leading letters (t, s, g, etc) mean?

    struct {

    tBoolean logon;

    static enum eloglevel output level [NUM_LOG_SUBSYSTEMS];

    } slogStruct;

    struct slogStruct* LogInit() {

    int i;

    struct slogStruct *logData = malloc(sizeof(*logData));

    logData->logon = FALSE;

    for (i=0; i< NUM_LOG_SUBSYSTEMS; i++) {

    logData-> outputLevel = eNoLogging;

    }

    return logData;

    }

    submitted by /u/marysville
    [link] [comments]

    3rd party YouTube apps

    Posted: 06 May 2021 07:31 PM PDT

    Hey all. I'm wondering how 3rd party YouTube apps work. I have an app that plays YouTube videos but also has a download feature and doesn't have ad (something that the actual YouTube app charges for).

    How do these work? Are they using YouTube's API? If that's the case why would YouTube expose their API to someone who is going to make an app that gives for free what they charge for?

    Is the app I downloaded even legal?

    submitted by /u/aaronkagan
    [link] [comments]

    My android studio is so slow I'm getting demotivated to learn app development on it

    Posted: 06 May 2021 06:00 PM PDT

    If the application is not responding it would take around 5 mins to get back to normal. This doesn't happen once or twice, happen for every 10 - 20 mins while I'm coding. The gradle building, syncing takes around 10 to 13 mins. And I can't open other apps because it takes most of the space. My RAM size is just 2GB, the app occupies almost 1.5GB of it while running. Whenever I go to learn on it, I feel demotivated a lot. It's so exhausting.

    I tried disabling plugins, but then the application stopped working. I had to delete the disabled plugins file to make it work again.

    I want to learn app development. Debugging makes you feel exhausted, yes. But not like this, this is making me feel exhausted a lot more than anything. Got any solutions, please?

    submitted by /u/nine9ten10
    [link] [comments]

    Is jumping to N page, possible with cursor pagination?

    Posted: 06 May 2021 09:20 PM PDT

    On frontend say i render 10 records per pages and there are total 50 records which will make 5 pages. Now user navigates to the section and first page is loaded, user can now directly jump to 5th page if we have offset based pagination. Can we achieve same thing with cursor pagination, or user will have to sequentially call the next page?

    submitted by /u/dsmedium
    [link] [comments]

    How do you balance between learning new things and practicing what you know?

    Posted: 06 May 2021 04:12 PM PDT

    After a point it's hard to simply try to think of projects that include "everything I need to practice + 1 new thing" so I'm looking for discussion on this.

    I feel like I wanna hit a balance to avoid getting rusty while covering new grounds. FWIW I'm talking about web dev.

    submitted by /u/Fair_Cause_1166
    [link] [comments]

    used greenfoot b4 in school but now i want to study python (im a first timer|).

    Posted: 07 May 2021 12:43 AM PDT

    what apps do i use for coding?

    submitted by /u/feelsbadM
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone else often feels stupid and lost while studying?

    Posted: 07 May 2021 12:41 AM PDT

    Disclaimer. I am not learning programming. I am an aerospace engineering student but I feel like some people here would understand my struggle.
    Do you also often feel lost and too stupid but then push through and somehow you start to slowly understand what is going on. Or do you just get things from the start?

    submitted by /u/DAutistOfWallStreet
    [link] [comments]

    Can I build a website/Web Application using C# and .Net?

    Posted: 07 May 2021 12:38 AM PDT

    So, I have been thinking of building a project as I have just finished learning C# and .Net. So, Is C# and .Net a good option to build the backend for the website/Web application?

    submitted by /u/flairsclap3
    [link] [comments]

    Is there any open-source model for Pakistan's currency recognition?

    Posted: 07 May 2021 12:38 AM PDT

    Hello everyone,

    I am working on a project which includes object recognition, currency recognition, text to speech, and location of the user. In order to perform the currency recognition of Pakistan's currency, I'd need a lot of data and computing resources to train a model, but unfortunately, I don't have access to either of these.

    So, I just wanted to know whether there is an open-source pre-trained model that I could use for my project?

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/Usama_Ali
    [link] [comments]

    I can't seem to get how SVG's work. Any help?

    Posted: 07 May 2021 12:36 AM PDT

    I tried googling and experimenting, but man SVGs are so weird. Here are some of my experiments that I just can't seem to make sense of:

    1. First SVG has viewBox(-100 0 1440 320) but the -100 pushes it forward? and a value of 100 takes it backwards. I don't get it since a negative value of X pulls elements to the left offscreen, while a positive value pulls them to the right. But viewbox has it backwards?
    2. What I did with the second svg was that I copy pasted the path of the third SVG. Third SVG appears on screen, second SVG doesn't. I tried playing with the width/height attributes but to no avail.
    3. Third SVG is really annoying. I try to increase the width, height, and the width and height in the viewbox and it still stays the same! Aren't SVG supposed to be scalable?
    4. Fourth SVG doesn't render at all (I removed the <rect> width/height) even though the other SVGs <path> didnt have width/height. So what gives?

    I assume my problems lie with the viewBox attribute and the width/height.

    submitted by /u/BigBootyBear
    [link] [comments]

    Where would I even start to make a script that would make my tv turn on and play a video from a hard drive at a certain time? Is it possible?

    Posted: 07 May 2021 12:28 AM PDT

    My current alarm is okay, but it is a simple alarm clock and i've gotten used to the sound. I just sleep through it now. I want to make my tv act like an alarm clock by playing a video file at a certain time. What would I need? Obviously I could hook up a computer to it but I was wondering if it was possible with an actual cable box or an arduino or something like that

    submitted by /u/Lincoln_31313131
    [link] [comments]

    How to really read a text file on google drive using javascript?

    Posted: 07 May 2021 12:15 AM PDT

    like this

    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Wqg7SkjGwAZbBewh4OO1PaC5xcLyhuT2/view?usp=sharing

    found this code, but I don't know how to really use it

     function get_doc(id){ const url = 'https://www.googleapis.com/drive/v3/files/'+id+'?alt=media'; //https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Wqg7SkjGwAZbBewh4OO1PaC5xcLyhuT2/view?usp=sharing if(self.fetch){ var setHeaders = new Headers(); setHeaders.append('Authorization', 'Bearer ' + authToken.access_token); setHeaders.append('Content-Type', mime); var setOptions = { method: 'GET', headers: setHeaders }; fetch(url,setOptions) .then(response => { if(response.ok){ var reader = response.body.getReader(); var decoder = new TextDecoder(); reader.read().then(function(result){ var data = {} data = decoder.decode(result.value, {stream: !result.done}); console.log(data); }); } else{ console.log("Response wast not ok"); } }) .catch(error => { console.log("There is an error " + error.message); }); } } get_doc('1Wqg7SkjGwAZbBewh4OO1PaC5xcLyhuT2'); 
    submitted by /u/hwpcspr
    [link] [comments]

    If I were interested in creating an interactive animated site like this, where should I start?

    Posted: 06 May 2021 01:30 PM PDT

    There's this cool website called outrider where you can visualize nuclear blast radii, and IWTL how to make something similar. To give you an idea of my background, I pretty much just know R, which I use for data analysis. I've created interactive maps and apps using RShiny. The most animated thing I've made is turning graphs into gifs, lol.

    How in the world would I go about making something like this? I'm guessing it was made using JS and CSS? I'm such a noob I have no idea. There are a solid amount of JS animation tutorials out there, but none of them combine interactivity, animation, and maps from what I've seen. I know they used the Mapbox geocoding API. Idk, I'm just hoping someone might point me in the right direction in terms of any courses, books, or channels that I might use in order to eventually be able to make something like this.

    submitted by /u/UChiHopeful
    [link] [comments]

    When you finished your first course, project, whatever, what do you wish someone told you?

    Posted: 06 May 2021 02:12 PM PDT

    I just finish the FreeCodeCamp Python course and I'm about to finish the CS50 course (missing the final project).

    I'm going to focus one hundred percent on projects, but I feel like I still miss A LOT. I see some YouTube tutorials about projects as Twitter Sentiment Analysis and other projects from https://projectlearn.io , but everything seems so complex ;-;

    submitted by /u/MGDB20
    [link] [comments]

    What's next?

    Posted: 06 May 2021 07:49 PM PDT

    TL:DR: Junior level Java programmer looking for advice to move forward for a entry lvl job and/or continued education.

    *Also, I have some career related stuff in here. If I need to remove those bits and put them in the cs job sub, just let me know.

    I'm currently a junior certified Java developer. I have roughly 5 years of off and on coding experience. I'm currently in a state of stuck, and I'm looking for what to do next.

    I'm only 21 and I'm still in school. Should be getting an associates in cs next semester. Currently trying to decide if I should stay in school and finish out a bachelors in Cybersecurity/software dev or just stick with the associates and do more online self education. I'm also curious to what you all think of certifications. I've heard a degree is better and then I've heard certs are better. I have the Oracle exam book and I could probably pass the associate level Java exam with a bit of study.

    I'm currently looking at the MyComputerCareer, ZeroToEngineer, Deslopes, and other similar online programs. Some insight or reviews of these or similar content would be appreciated. Trying to figure out the best financial decision as well.

    I've applied to many local contractors (I'm close to Ft. Knox USA), and only got a single interview that ended up getting cancelled. I'm currently trying to find internships to help me get that dreaded 2-3 years of work experience. Currently working as a Tech doing mostly hardware stuff, but looking to get developing experience with a team.

    I'm open to suggestions and any and all advice. Thanks!

    (Also, unrelated:

    1. Is there an IDE for Html, CSS, JavaScript?
    2. Has anyone heard of ChucK? It's a programming language for music. My soon to be wife is a music teacher and I'd like to learn this one for fun. Any tips on how to get started would be awesome.

    )

    submitted by /u/Galaxin6
    [link] [comments]

    Kotlin: Why won't you print my list entries? //Absolute Beginner Exercise

    Posted: 06 May 2021 11:26 PM PDT

    Hallo dear forum,

    I am experimenting a bit and I want my program to print a triangle of "#"s. Like this:

    #

    ##

    ###

    ####

    #####

    ######

    #######

    ----

    What I don't understand is, why the program won't accept the variable n as number after I declared it an integer:

    fun main (args: Array <String>) { val list1: MutableList <String> = mutableListOf("#") for (i in 1..7) { val n: Int = list1.size println(list1[1..n]) list1.add("#") } } Kotlin: Type mismatch: inferred type is IntRange but Int was expected 

    Can you please tell me, where I did go wrong?

    submitted by /u/hardtomake
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment