• Breaking News

    Friday, May 14, 2021

    Feedback Friday #444 - Forge Ahead

    Feedback Friday #444 - Forge Ahead


    Feedback Friday #444 - Forge Ahead

    Posted: 13 May 2021 08:30 PM PDT

    FEEDBACK FRIDAY #444

    Well it's Friday here so lets play each others games, be nice and constructive and have fun! keep up with devs on twitter and get involved!

    Post your games/demos/builds and give each other feedback!

    Feedback Friday Rules:

    Suggestion: As a generally courtesy, you should try to check out a person's game if they have left feedback on your game. If you are leaving feedback on another person's game, it may be helpful to leave a link to your post (if you have posted your game for feedback) at the end of your comment so they can easily find your game.

    -Post a link to a playable version of your game or demo

    -Do NOT link to screenshots or videos! The emphasis of FF is on testing and feedback, not on graphics! Screenshot Saturday is the better choice for your awesome screenshots and videos!

    -Promote good feedback! Try to avoid posting one line responses like "I liked it!" because that is NOT feedback!

    -Upvote those who provide good feedback!

    -Comments using URL shorteners may get auto-removed by reddit, so we recommend not using them.

    Previous Weeks: All

    submitted by /u/Sexual_Lettuce
    [link] [comments]

    3 years of gamedev in 90 seconds. A timeline that shows taking a game from prototype to production.

    Posted: 14 May 2021 10:05 AM PDT

    A good free voice AI/ text to voice?

    Posted: 14 May 2021 09:36 AM PDT

    Does anyone know a good voice AI or text to voice website/program that is free to use?

    submitted by /u/isa-tan
    [link] [comments]

    How does IP work when making games as a sole member of an LLC?

    Posted: 14 May 2021 04:29 AM PDT

    My question specifically is: If I am part of a one-man LLC and make a game, can I choose whether the IP belongs to me as an individual, or the LLC? Now, this might not make a lot of sense, so I'll provide some context:

    I'm a solo developer, working from home, who has a published game under my legal name, rather than a company. I am thinking about forming an LLC to enter an agreement, in which a revenue cut would be taken from this newfound company. This agreement states that I cannot transfer any IPs from my LLC to a new company without permission, in order not to dodge the revenue cut, which is fair. However, this means any new games the LLC makes would also be part of the revenue cut.

    I am currently working on a different (unannounced) game, just by myself. I was wondering if I were to create this LLC, would the IP to my new game automatically belong to the LLC, and thus be part of the agreement? Ideally, I would like the game to belong to me as an individual, and thus I could pick whether I want it to be part of the agreement, or if I'd like to do things differently and keep the revenue cut.

    Any help is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/gamethrowavay
    [link] [comments]

    Best books for C++ / Unreal Engine?

    Posted: 14 May 2021 11:52 AM PDT

    Hey all, I've been learning C# for a good few months and have made some simple games in Unity - I'm looking to transition to Unreal Engine and therefore C++ and would love a book to learn from. Do any of you have any suggestions? I'd love to know, as there's so many online and I can't decide on one.

    Thanks everyone :)

    submitted by /u/HabiRabbit
    [link] [comments]

    How can I make 3d look like 2d pixel art in Unity?

    Posted: 14 May 2021 06:39 AM PDT

    I'm trying to find a way that makes 3d objects look like hand-drawn 2d. I want to achieve the look the person in this video does. After looking through a few of his other videos, I found that he uses a custom rendering pipeline and some shaders. I'm not too worried about the shaders, but I can't figure out for the life of me how he accomplishes the rendering. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/AGuyWhoLikesToCode
    [link] [comments]

    Thoughts on motivation and originality?

    Posted: 14 May 2021 10:07 AM PDT

    So I've been working on a project for a little bit that I'm trying to turn into an actual product. At the time, I felt I had a pretty unique core mechanic, which is why I felt the project was worth pursuing to begin with.

    Well, I was browsing steam earlier and stumbled on something that's somewhat similar :(

    Looking further into it, it does seem to have some substantial mechanical differences, but it's also still in the prototyping phase.

    Anyway, I'm sure this is a position that plenty of you have been in, so what are your thoughts on whether I should continue this project? My motivation took a pretty big hit and I'm scared I'll end up accidentally making a clone...

    submitted by /u/NeuralNetWithLimbs
    [link] [comments]

    Would people be interested in text based game without movement or graphics?

    Posted: 14 May 2021 11:34 AM PDT

    Hello im new to game development but not to programming i worked as fullstack web developer before and study currently at university. I have idea about a game that mostly text with images rougelike turn based combat and rpg elements like items levels stats etc also will have story with choices. You can also earn resources and upgrade buildings and you can do raid once a week with hard bosses. Is this good idea without any movement or graphics? Im not making for other people or to earn money im making because i want to advance my knowldge in mobile apps since i think transitiong from web to mobile and also i want to play such game but i would still like to know if there are people who would play such game. I also have the idea of the world and story for a while. Im

    submitted by /u/draganov11
    [link] [comments]

    How to grow your Game Dev YouTube channel - Interview with Goodgis

    Posted: 14 May 2021 10:31 AM PDT

    SNESDEV Game Jam — coding games in assembly that run on the actual Super Nintendo for the 30th anniversary of this retro console (from June 4th to September 9th)

    Posted: 13 May 2021 05:38 PM PDT

    A Quick way to prototype a game idea?

    Posted: 14 May 2021 04:30 AM PDT

    What I want :

    • fastest way to prototype a game idea to see if it's fun
    • My time constraint is 30 hours per week and I would like to spend from 14 days to 30 days for each idea
    • It should be free , I can't spend money right now.

    What I know :

    • C#
    • Already comfortable with Unity and most of its systems
    • Blender to make some simple models
    • Animating in Blender

    What I already found but unsure :

    • Unreal engine , some people says blueprints can speed up the process
    • Paper prototyping which I don't know much about it
    • Some tips about not using , sound , animation and making art yourself and overall using placeholders and focusing on core mechanics

    that's pretty much summarize my question

    I will be appreciated for any Suggestions , tips and tricks.

    Thank you so much.

    submitted by /u/Raminlich
    [link] [comments]

    Gaming Chair Preferences

    Posted: 14 May 2021 12:40 PM PDT

    Hello everyone! I would love to get your input on your gaming chair preferences for design research, the survey should take approximately 1 minute of your time!

    Link to survey:

    https://forms.gle/MX54Ldcz9JYNWLRk8

    submitted by /u/slim_sade_
    [link] [comments]

    Vectors: A mini course. Part 1: Intro to vectors.

    Posted: 14 May 2021 12:38 PM PDT

    https://youtu.be/VWzQMxozWbk

    Hey there! I'm creating a series of videos on vectors, starting from real numbers and it'll finish all the way into vector algebra.

    Here I introduce vectors for the first time and show their mathematical and geometric representation. I also talk about some of their potential uses.

    Hopefully you find useful info.

    submitted by /u/LazyKatGames
    [link] [comments]

    Grow in Godot with the Help of THIS Tutorial Series!

    Posted: 14 May 2021 12:11 PM PDT

    Sending unique game keys to multiple users

    Posted: 14 May 2021 08:12 AM PDT

    Good morning from Canada!

    I'm just about ready to release the alpha version of my game and I'd like to send out alpha steam keys to all my backers who have pledged for it. Is there any way to bulk send an email with unique game keys for every user?

    I've been searching on the Mailchimp website but it's not very clear...

    Any help/tips is greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/Material_Brother_175
    [link] [comments]

    Sample API for creating Task systems and Job Graphs? (Crosspost)

    Posted: 14 May 2021 05:48 AM PDT

    Unity vs Unreal : Text based Games with complex storyline : C++ Engine ?

    Posted: 14 May 2021 10:57 AM PDT

    I am a programmer who is proficient in C++, Design Patterns, DS&A etc. However, I am new to game dev. I am part of a small team that is looking to create a text based game with no 3D element other than isometric images. If someone is aware of a game called Suzerain , then you will be able to appreciate the kind of game our team plans to create. We plan to invest decent amount of time planning and learning the engine before starting off, so yes this is pretty early and we are open to suggestions. I have heard a lot about Unity and seen several text based games coming from there.

    1. Is Unity more efficient w.r.t to 2D game dev and text based games ?
    2. Does Unreal have all that would be required, while making the long-term development efficient?
    3. We are C++ devs with Python/Java/Javascript(not all of them) proficiency. None of use has used C# until now. So, should we even consider learning it
    4. Are there any C++ based engines which might do the job better than Unreal ?
    submitted by /u/Rich_Ad_1715
    [link] [comments]

    Hey everyone, I made a tutorial showing how to implement Half Life Alyx style movement into your VR project within UE4. Including the ability to Crouch, Jump, Snap Turn, Sprint and fixes ue4's RoomScale issue inside the template. Hope it helps.

    Posted: 14 May 2021 03:14 AM PDT

    Question of Unity Devs Working On Xbox Systems

    Posted: 14 May 2021 06:58 AM PDT

    I recently released a game called "the office simulation" on Xbox last week, and I have been working on an optimization update for this release. However, I cannot figure out the cause for crashes. There are two points where the game crashes, and thats upon boot up and upon completing the game. Is there a good way to go about finding the cause for the crash?

    submitted by /u/DaNovaFRFX
    [link] [comments]

    Game Architecture

    Posted: 14 May 2021 10:28 AM PDT

    What is a good way to implement actions ?

    I am working on a 2D game, the player and the NPCs can do the same things (move around and collide, use objects, open doors, change map...etc). So far every action is a class, with a constructor, variables and a "PerformAction" function. Entities have a list of those classes according to what they are able to do.

    For instance I have an "interactAction" class, a "moveAction", "speakAction"... should I also have a "saveGameAction" ? an "openInventoryAction" ? where do I draw the line ?

    It works okay for now, but this strategy involves creating and attaching action objects to each living entity of my game world, it feels bloated. Once I'll add the ability to save the player character into another file, I'll have to make sure every action Object is serializable.

    I'd like to know what alternatives I have, how do you do it ? It's hard to find answers to specific game-architecture problems

    submitted by /u/SatoVatarius
    [link] [comments]

    What is the cause of this distortion?

    Posted: 14 May 2021 10:27 AM PDT

    SOLVED

    I have been working on a project for the purposes of learning 3d gamedev & I have managed to work past most things that stumped me.

    However, I have one issue that has existed for the entire duration of this project; When I pitch my camera to look either up or down I get this nasty distortion when rotating the camera about the Y axis.

    Imgur

    Imgur

    Depending on the axis I have the top of the camera pointing down the meshes either get compressed or stretched.

    I believe this is a projection matrix issue but I could be wrong; Here is what I'm using to generate the matrix. edit: pseudo code to fill in the variables

    fov = 45.0f

    aspect = (float)swapextent.width/swapextent.height

    nearz = 0.1f

    farz = 200.0f

    projectionUniformObject->matrix = glm::perspective(glm::radians(fov), aspect, nearz, farz); projectionUniformObject->matrix[1][1] *= -1.0f;

    I am using Vulkan & doing my dev on Linux.

    edit: also, I have tried a number of resolutions..the images are taken with 1920x1080 windows the issue is still present but FAR less noticeable when using windows as small as 800x600

    submitted by /u/lukeymoo
    [link] [comments]

    I just found out that there are games in development that are very similar to my idea. Should I continue working on my game?

    Posted: 14 May 2021 10:21 AM PDT

    A year or two ago, I thought of an idea for a game I'd like, but it wasn't until a few months ago that I was able to tackle it and actually try to make it in my game engine. While developing it, I stumbled across an announcement regarding a game with a similar structure to mine, being developed by a studio and slated for release in the near future. I did some more research into it and discovered a second game that was similar to the first: in development, created by a team of people, and with a similar structure to my idea.

    Should I still pursue the game I've been kinda passionate about? I'm worried it might be too similar to these two games (which I wasn't aware of until long after I had my own version of the idea). There aren't a huge amount of details out about either of the indev games, but everything I've seen so far aligns somewhat closely with my idea. I'd appreciate it if anyone here has advice for a situation like this.

    submitted by /u/w00tleeroyjenkins
    [link] [comments]

    From Enterprise Software Development to Game Development

    Posted: 14 May 2021 03:48 AM PDT

    Hi r/gamedev!

    Long time lurker here. Just wanted to ask a couple of questions for people who shifted from a software development career into a game development career:

    1. Was it hard finding and applying for open positions?
    2. Is the salary drastically different between the two?
    3. Is it possible to join a triple A studio during the shift?
    4. Are there any tips/suggestions you can give to other career shifters?
    submitted by /u/ardogs
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment