• Breaking News

    Friday, May 7, 2021

    Feedback Friday #443 - Group Discussion

    Feedback Friday #443 - Group Discussion


    Feedback Friday #443 - Group Discussion

    Posted: 06 May 2021 08:18 PM PDT

    FEEDBACK FRIDAY #443

    Well it's Friday here so lets play each others games, be nice and constructive and have fun! keep up with devs on twitter and get involved!

    Post your games/demos/builds and give each other feedback!

    Feedback Friday Rules:

    Suggestion: As a generally courtesy, you should try to check out a person's game if they have left feedback on your game. If you are leaving feedback on another person's game, it may be helpful to leave a link to your post (if you have posted your game for feedback) at the end of your comment so they can easily find your game.

    -Post a link to a playable version of your game or demo

    -Do NOT link to screenshots or videos! The emphasis of FF is on testing and feedback, not on graphics! Screenshot Saturday is the better choice for your awesome screenshots and videos!

    -Promote good feedback! Try to avoid posting one line responses like "I liked it!" because that is NOT feedback!

    -Upvote those who provide good feedback!

    -Comments using URL shorteners may get auto-removed by reddit, so we recommend not using them.

    Previous Weeks: All

    submitted by /u/Sexual_Lettuce
    [link] [comments]

    Animation Tip: Use Scaling to make an animation juicer (Doesn't fit all games, but I think it looks cool af)

    Posted: 07 May 2021 02:13 AM PDT

    Been playing around with animations, and I noticed that when I played around with the scale it felt much better. More power!

    It's one of the animation principles, so most people are aware of this though. But haven't seen it on FPS guns that much!

    https://reddit.com/link/n6ucbn/video/hbwwxex90ox61/player

    submitted by /u/GoodGuyFish
    [link] [comments]

    (1/3) Lowpoly Style | Flat Shaded - Cute HUT Modeling in Blender 3d

    Posted: 07 May 2021 04:01 AM PDT

    Around 50-60 of my original music compositions and songs in the metal genre with elements of retro electronic music and chiptune over the past 8 years. All of them are available for free under Creative Commons, and free to use for any purpose, including commercial. Enjoy listening and using.

    Posted: 07 May 2021 05:50 AM PDT

    Unity C# - I upgraded the A* pathfinding posted few weeks ago to a multithreaded version and show how to use it in a simple 2D game, check it out!

    Posted: 07 May 2021 07:42 AM PDT

    Is using Platform Provided Leaderboard worth it?

    Posted: 07 May 2021 07:55 AM PDT

    Hi,

    I am working on a game which I want to release on a couple of platforms - like Steam and Xbox; To make things more competitive and as the result increase the engagement, the leaderboards in the game will be cross-platform. However I think it makes sense to have platform specific leaderboards (Like a leaderboard for Steam players or a leaderboard for Xbox players); Actually I think for some platform - like PlayStation - I think it is a requirement.

    I can implement the platform specific leaderboards using the same mechanism I have for cross-platform leaderboards instead of the tools the platforms provide for this purpose; This option requires lower amount of effort from me since I have to do the cross-platform ones anyway.

    However one thing that makes me doubtful about this approach and it's that by ignoring platform provided leaderboards (like Steam Leaderboards or Xbox Live Leaderboards), I will lose some "goodies" the platforms provide; For example:

    • Using Xbox Live Leaderboards, Xbox will show some info based on that (like the rank of the player compare to the friends) to the players on the Game Hub
    • The Steam leaderboards can be made accessible on the Game's Community page

    My question here is: How effective are the platform "goodies" I mentioned above for engaging the players?

    This is important to me as having two backends for the leaderboards and syncing them requires effort.

    submitted by /u/aydin_khp
    [link] [comments]

    C++ or C#

    Posted: 07 May 2021 11:57 AM PDT

    So I am 16 and have no programming or coding experience but I want to start learning. The problem is I don't know if I should go with c++ or c#, I know whichever I choose would most likely lead me to using either the Unreal engine or Unity. Looking at those two options it seems that Unreal is less of actual coding and more of using blueprints instead. Which is kind of unappealing to me as I would like to actually type code.

    I have also seen people say learning c++ first would make leaning c# after far easier and would lead to more job opportunities in the future. My goal Right now would to be make small indie games and such but I would also like to pursue a career in the video game industry. Right now I'm leaning more towards c++ as it seems to be the cooler of the two but any other opinions would be highly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/FcMedic42
    [link] [comments]

    I'm concluding my 4 part Unity guide on data structures today with this last video on Queues & Stacks! These should be for you if you're a beginner to intermediate game dev. Happy to get some feedback!

    Posted: 07 May 2021 10:14 AM PDT

    How to make games with a friend through online means?

    Posted: 07 May 2021 11:33 AM PDT

    I need to know the resources and software required so me and my friend can make a game with work being divides by 50 / 50 .

    I am a complete beginner at coding and want to know if it is possible to creat game with a friend without physically meeting . For example sharing the main game data file with friend .

    submitted by /u/Toddler_dictator
    [link] [comments]

    California map?

    Posted: 07 May 2021 09:33 AM PDT

    Hi, I want to make a game where it takes place in the entire California state. Does anyone have a high-detailed, huge and accurate California map so I can put in Unreal Engine, or do I have to make one?

    submitted by /u/RSBProjects
    [link] [comments]

    So I am mainly a 2D Animator and I have little to no experience in codes.

    Posted: 07 May 2021 05:44 AM PDT

    Any clue why our game would quit on launch when launching from Steam on Mac, but launch successfully when being opened from its local Steam folder location on the computer?

    Posted: 07 May 2021 10:58 AM PDT

    Any help hugely appreciated! Thank you.

    submitted by /u/Olelewe
    [link] [comments]

    How to escape tutorial hell

    Posted: 07 May 2021 03:42 AM PDT

    I have been learning to code for a couple of months now, Should i keep learning for longer? I am honestly tired of tutorials, and just want to code games. Alas when I try to program a Game I always feel stuck.

    I code in C++ and C#

    submitted by /u/DoctorLove01
    [link] [comments]

    WebSockets performance tuning help

    Posted: 07 May 2021 09:36 AM PDT

    So I did what you aren't supposed to do -- I went and added multiplayer into a game jam game that I previously made.

    It works! However I'm having issues finding any information on how to tune Websockets or how to get better performance, so I'm asking if anyone has any resources on how to improve Websocket performance and latency.

    Technical details:

    I'm using native browser websockets connecting to a Caddy2 reverse-proxy to a Node server (using ws) on Ubuntu (through Digital Ocean for ~20/mo).

    Anyone have any performance tips or articles they mind sharing? I've had bad luck trying to find anything useful. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/bushmango
    [link] [comments]

    When a game has a day/night cycle, do you prefer real time or a "points" based system?

    Posted: 06 May 2021 10:16 PM PDT

    Real time is a lot more common these days, but games like Persona use a point system where the day is broken up into sections, and certain actions (hanging out with a friend, leveling up a skill, etc) take up sections of the day. But, the nice thing about it is when you're doing normal stuff (exploring, talking to people, fighting enemies), time doesn't pass.

    It goes without saying that a Persona style system is a lot easier to develop and manage, as well. It's probably important to say that we're talking about RPG/life sim type games, so time and schedule will matter a lot and not just be a largely superficial/aesthetic thing like in, say, Legend of Zelda.

    As much as I love games like Rune Factory or Stardew Valley, I can't help but feel like I'm constantly being rushed. I'll memorize perfectly efficient routes, spam the dash button if there is one, just constantly be focusing on managing time. Contrast this with Persona, where you can really take your time and soak in the environment, as well as grind battles, without worrying about micromanaging every second.

    If you were to dev a game with a time mechanic, which style would you use (or perhaps a different one altogether)?

    submitted by /u/WolfSpace34
    [link] [comments]

    CD Projekt Red is turning to modders for The Witcher 3's next-gen upgrade

    Posted: 07 May 2021 09:32 AM PDT

    Third Person Camera Help!

    Posted: 07 May 2021 09:31 AM PDT

    I'm working on developing a game (using the Unity engine) and am having a bit of trouble with the camera controller. I want to set up a third person camera basically identical to the one in "A Short Hike." Any help or code would be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/kev-barnard
    [link] [comments]

    Dynamic Level Design in Mass Effect 3’s "Cure the Genophage" Mission w/ Dave Feltham and Boyd McKenzie

    Posted: 07 May 2021 08:56 AM PDT

    Lava Blade // Terraplangendo // Game Ready Asset

    Posted: 07 May 2021 06:21 AM PDT

    Ways to improve online Indie Game Events?

    Posted: 07 May 2021 12:08 PM PDT

    Hey gents, 1st time posting here!

    So, as a Dev myself (artist/animator/art director sort of) and having my first game, [Two Strikes](https://www.twostrikesgame.com/) appearing in a couple of online events (2 for now, more to come), I felt like the Online Events happening on Discord is kinda... Weird?

    I mean, it's cool cause we can reach out to people from all around the world, besides the Hard time we're in right now, but the overall experience with these events has being... underwhelming.

    Like, yeah, it's great that I can chat a lot with other devs, but... The juice is to reach the general public so they can test the Demos and give us some nice feedbacks. As for now, the experience is like walking around a Ghost Town: You're lucky if you find a living soul (it is very, very empty).

    I'm trying to spread the word through facebook, instagram, reddit (I don't use Twitter), ask people to help spread the word too... But in the end, even if the event itself didn't help with promotion, I still want to find a way to attract more viewers!

    You guys have some suggestions to solve this issue?

    Edit: I tried to fix the Hyperlink, but couldn't solve it somehow. Sorry...

    submitted by /u/gmoshiro
    [link] [comments]

    PC Specs?

    Posted: 07 May 2021 05:42 AM PDT

    I want to start game developing (using UE4) but im not sure if my computer will be able to run it

    My specs:

    Ryzen 3 3100

    GTX 1650 Super

    16gb ddr4 3200 ram

    submitted by /u/Syn1h_
    [link] [comments]

    We get a lot of questions asking about free software, but what paid apps are really worth it for making games (art, music, etc)?

    Posted: 07 May 2021 11:36 AM PDT

    The title says it all. If you look through requests for recommendations, they seem to be for free software alone. But what paid software have you found to be good?

    submitted by /u/altmorty
    [link] [comments]

    Concept art job test

    Posted: 07 May 2021 11:08 AM PDT

    Hi! I am an aspiring concept artist and just got a email from a company I send my portfolio to. They ask me for a test of my skills and I am wondering whats the best course of action for a junior concert artist? Do I show all my references? Should I start with silhouettes? Do I send them all of it?

    They do say my main focus would be environmental art and Items. And it seems like a 6/7 h test.

    Any tips?

    submitted by /u/Dogrom-
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment