• Breaking News

    Thursday, May 13, 2021

    Ever wondered what the difference between Value, Passthrough, and Button is in the new Unity Input System? Same. In the video I explain the differences in depth! Link is in post :)

    Ever wondered what the difference between Value, Passthrough, and Button is in the new Unity Input System? Same. In the video I explain the differences in depth! Link is in post :)


    Ever wondered what the difference between Value, Passthrough, and Button is in the new Unity Input System? Same. In the video I explain the differences in depth! Link is in post :)

    Posted: 13 May 2021 06:17 AM PDT

    My advice to people who don't know how to "get started making games"

    Posted: 13 May 2021 08:43 AM PDT

    OGLDEV: OpenGL For Beginners - Getting Up and Running with OpenGL on Windows

    Posted: 13 May 2021 06:36 AM PDT

    Hi,

    I've published a video that describes how to get Windows 10 ready for OpenGL development using Visual Studio: https://youtu.be/WMTxY14aJJE

    It complements a similar video I did on Ubuntu Linux: https://youtu.be/h2cP6sQYdf0

    Thanks,

    Etay

    submitted by /u/OGLDEV
    [link] [comments]

    Enhancing Photorealism in GTA V with Neural Networks

    Posted: 12 May 2021 01:15 PM PDT

    Designing and implementing video game HUDs, UI, custom icons, etc.

    Posted: 13 May 2021 10:12 AM PDT

    Hey guys. I want to design custom HUDs and UI concept prototypes and make custom icons and implement them into games. What tools will help me make HUD concepts with some movable elements, designing health bars, counters, etc.?

    submitted by /u/samueldavid33
    [link] [comments]

    Is it legal to create textures directly from real photos ?

    Posted: 13 May 2021 09:48 AM PDT

    I want to model and texture a real world building. Obviously it's not my building. If I avoid trademarked logos, is it legal to photograph for textures without permission ? If so, can that model be sold or used commercially in a game ?

    Can I do the same thing for other objects like a car with all symbols missing ?

    submitted by /u/Lord-Archon
    [link] [comments]

    2D Platformers Deconstructed: Start Out Your New Game Now!

    Posted: 13 May 2021 06:01 AM PDT

    Make Your First Game Asset

    Posted: 13 May 2021 11:28 AM PDT

    I am feeling completely aimless.

    Posted: 13 May 2021 10:22 AM PDT

    I am a new game developer with about a year of experience. I am by no means professional but I definitely know the fundamentals and I can make games.

    The problem is, I have absolutely no idea what to do or what to make.

    All of my good ideas are usually big projects that require greater skill and/or can't be finished any time soon. The manageable ideas however, Are usually terrible and generic.

    I tried to participate in a game jam, But found no jam that I wanted to join. I tried to join a small team, But that didn't work out.

    Can someone give me a clue on what to do next because I am completely lost.

    submitted by /u/PinkLad45
    [link] [comments]

    3-second fix - UI text shows over Objects in world space.

    Posted: 13 May 2021 08:20 AM PDT

    Seeking education in game development while maintaining a full time job.

    Posted: 13 May 2021 12:02 PM PDT

    I am looking for advice about seeking education while holding down a job. I have a well paying job but I really want to work as a game developer and have experience in both the art and coding sides, but not much real formal education for either, as my BFA program was more VFX and animation focused. I am unsure if I should seek out an online CS degree, continue using tutorials and things like CGMA or something else. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

    submitted by /u/austin262
    [link] [comments]

    Game Engine Programming: Hello everyone, with this video I'm closing the subject of asset pipelines (for now). Stay tuned for an exciting new chapter :D

    Posted: 13 May 2021 06:15 AM PDT

    Where to showcase my game?

    Posted: 13 May 2021 11:24 AM PDT

    In what forums or reddit communities I can showcase my game? (If it matters, it's a quirky RPG game)

    submitted by /u/the-mr-dude
    [link] [comments]

    Can you give this first-time dev some advice?

    Posted: 13 May 2021 12:20 PM PDT

    Hi all, I'm super new to the sub and I have had some ideas for a post-apocalyptic game but I've run into some things that I need advice and help on and then some questions to be answered, if you could.

    I am a sole person right now, and I doubt anyone wants to work on a realistic post apocalyptic game. Music can be manageable as it will be mostly guitar and ambience. Art I can absolutely do (I have concept sketches and things for the game already) and it will be pixel art so I won't have too much trouble. The problem is I don't know how to code. Would it be easy to find someone who is bored with their knowledge and pool our strengths to make a game? I'm not in this for the money, just doing something I love and would like to just chuck it on Steam for a couple bucks and see how I do.

    As far as I know you need 4 basic things when making a game:

    Visuals (I will do them)
    Music (I can do it unless I find someone)
    Programming (the biggest thumb up my ass, I have no idea what engine to use for it and I'm sort of avoiding spending lots of money on a project that might not work out

    Advertising/promotion (Will be easy enough, just show it on Reddit and Youtube or put it on Steam

    Really all I need is a programmer, but is there a good place to look for programmers who aren't professionals and moreso just enjoy doing it as a hobby and wouldn't mind making a game with me? I'm very young and would like to get this project started quickly enough.

    Second order of business, I need gameplay ideas!! I have no clue how the game should play as I'm going for realism and more of a somber/unsettling/survival atmosphere. The game will have combat, looting, and possibly some crafting. (My only gripe about post apoc games with crafting is they tend to blend in, and I want this game to stand out)

    So could you guys give me some advice? And yes, I will be asking around r/inat and other places for a programmer.

    TL;DR

    I am making a post apocalyptic pixel art game but am missing a programmer, gameplay staples, and I would like to avoid cliches you find in these types of media. Any help or advice or questions are appreciated and I will respond.

    submitted by /u/Za_Soldat
    [link] [comments]

    Why do most female characters in 3D games have hairstyles that are either short or tied back?

    Posted: 13 May 2021 02:03 AM PDT

    I noticed that a lot female characters in 3D games usually have short hair or it's tied back. Is it just a coincidence or does this make it easier to animate?

    submitted by /u/Yellowhello10
    [link] [comments]

    What sources do game devs use for making old settings (e.g East Germany 1970)?

    Posted: 13 May 2021 11:18 AM PDT

    I have seen countless games that are set in the past, how can they make an accurate map? Especially if it is an open world game, how?

    submitted by /u/TheLastMigo
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for advice/podcasts/videos/articles about writing multi-choice dialogue systems ala Mass Effects for games

    Posted: 13 May 2021 10:56 AM PDT

    Hey ya'll, would love to study up on this topic specifically. Any good content out there to imbibe?

    submitted by /u/Brandt-son-of-Thora
    [link] [comments]

    How helpful is college?

    Posted: 13 May 2021 02:37 AM PDT

    I want to become a Game Artist and so far I'm trying to get a place at different unis here in Germany. But so far, I've failed the application tests. I'm considering a private college, but that costs like 18k.

    My question is: Is it possible to teach myself? I recently got into Blender, and I'm bot too bad with drawing sprites. If I were to apply for a job at a game studio, they'd typically ask me for a portfolio, right? Wouldn't a good art collection be more important than a degree?

    Also: If I were to make a game myself, would that warrant a degree?

    submitted by /u/DSBM00
    [link] [comments]

    Help request - Adding to a rigged model mesh

    Posted: 13 May 2021 05:28 AM PDT

    Hi, I hope you're all doing well!

    I have some assets (hands and a bow for a VR game), that are already rigged (the hands animate, and the bow string draws back and bends the bow slightly).

    These models aren't in-keeping with the look of the game (Synty assets), so I'd like to pop these into blender, and add to / edit the meshes slightly / re texture them, then re export them to unity with the animations 'carrying over' because the edits will only be slight. In my mind, this seems like a good way of preserving the animations that are working well. However, I'm not finding tutorials for this sort of thing, so I think I'm missing something obvious.

    Could someone clarify for me what sort of process I should look to learn about to achieve this 'repurposing' of animated assets, or whether I'm barking up the wrong tree entirely?

    Cheers!

    submitted by /u/Remarkable-Mountain5
    [link] [comments]

    Announcing the first itch.io Creator Day! (100% revenue share for 24 hours)

    Posted: 13 May 2021 12:59 PM PDT

    Magic the Gathering Lite Project

    Posted: 13 May 2021 12:59 PM PDT

    hi guys i need your help, i have a little project, i have to write a programme that simulates a simplified version of the Magic the Gathering (MtG) card game by Wizards of the Coast .

    submitted by /u/darkgame_360
    [link] [comments]

    Why so few games have adjustable subtitles?

    Posted: 13 May 2021 05:18 AM PDT

    What makes it difficult for games to have adjustuble subtitles? I'm referring to text size.color,position,font choice etc.. To me, just a consumer it seems like it would be something not very difficult to implement but there must a technical reason that makes it difficult considering not many games have these options.

    submitted by /u/brokenmelegs
    [link] [comments]

    How much do you think it matters to a AAA studio to have a complete game on iOS or Steam?

    Posted: 13 May 2021 12:27 PM PDT

    Does using assets bought from epics store count against you?

    If it took you a year to make the game but you worked sporadically like lets say only on weekends can you legitimately say that you have 1 year of experience with Unreal or does 1 year to them mean one year of working 40+ hour weeks?

    submitted by /u/ShadowRazz
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment