• Breaking News

    Friday, March 5, 2021

    What are your recommendations for productive naming and organizational patterns for projects and clients and their respective files and folders? Ask Programming

    What are your recommendations for productive naming and organizational patterns for projects and clients and their respective files and folders? Ask Programming


    What are your recommendations for productive naming and organizational patterns for projects and clients and their respective files and folders?

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 02:44 PM PST

    Im looking to implement a more organized and productive system to catalog my work and client files. Wondering if you guys can take a look and offer any suggestions or tips to improve the system:

    Currently my system consists of;

    FILESYSTEM


    [DATE-PROJECTID-PROJECTNAME] ex: 202103X001-ProjectName (the x is the category of work intended)

    • 01.Documents (for all client documents like contracts nda etc etc)

      • [DATE-PROJECTID-PROJECTNAME-DOCUMENTTYPE-VERSION] ex: 202103X001-ProjectName-Contract-001.pdf
    • 02.Inspiration (project inspiration images and media)

      • (Disorganized content from the web and other places to give inspiration.)
    • 03.Materials (materials received from the client)

      • (Usually just follow clients naming convention for their system to allow for easier communication.)
    • 04.Worksheets (worksheet detailing work amount)

      • [DATE-PROJECTID-PROJECTNAME-WORKSHEETNO] ex: 202103X001-ProjectName-WorkSheet-001.xlsx (ideally want to find a new system to track work time)
    • 05.Design (folder for all design work)

      • BRANDING (subfolders are created depending on the type of print work they need )
        • _GLOBALSOURCEFILES
        • LOGO
          • [DATE-PROJECTID-PROJECTNAME-LOGO-VERSION] ex: 202103X001-ProjectName-Logo-001-BlackWhite.PSD
        • TYPOGRAPHY
        • COLORS
      • PRINT (subfolders are created depending on the type of print work they need )
        • _GLOBALSOURCEFILES
        • BROCHURES
          • _SOURCEFILES
          • [DATE-PROJECTID-PROJECTNAME-PRINTWORK-VERSION] ex: 202103X001-ProjectName-Brochure-001.ind
        • BUSINESSCARDS
          • _SOURCEFILES
          • [DATE-PROJECTID-PROJECTNAME-PRINTWORK-VERSION-FIRSTNAMEINITIAL-LASTNAME] ex: 202103X001-ProjectName-BusinessCard-001-J-DOE.ai
          • [DATE-PROJECTID-PROJECTNAME-PRINTWORK-VERSION-FIRSTNAMEINITIAL-LASTNAME] ex: 202103X001-ProjectName-BusinessCard-001-J-DOE-PRINTREADY.ai (for files that are ready to print)
      • VIDEO (subfolders are created depending on the type of print work they need )
        • _GLOBALSOURCEFILES
        • [DATE-PROJECTID-PROJECTNAME-VIDEOTYPE-VERSION-SUBJECT] ex: 202103X001-ProjectName-ADVERT-001-SeptemberPromo
          • _SOURCEFILES
          • [DATE-PROJECTID-PROJECTNAME-VIDEOTYPE-VERSION-SUBJECT-FILESTATUS] ex: 202103X001-ProjectName-ADVERT-001-SeptemberPromo.ai
          • [DATE-PROJECTID-PROJECTNAME-VIDEOTYPE-VERSION-SUBJECT-FILESTATUS] ex: 202103X001-ProjectName-ADVERT-001-SeptemberPromo-FINAL.mp4
      • WEB (subfolders are created depending on the type of print work they need )
        • _GLOBALSOURCEFILES
        • [DATE-PROJECTID-PROJECTNAME-WEBTYPE] ex: 202103X001-ProjectName-HoldingSite
        • [DATE-PROJECTID-PROJECTNAME-WEBTYPE] ex: 202103X001-ProjectName-NewWebsite
          • [DATE-PROJECTID-PROJECTNAME-WEBTYPE-VERSION] ex: 202103X001-ProjectName-NewWebsite-001
            • _WIREFRAMES
            • [DATE-PROJECTID-PROJECTNAME-WEBTYPE-VERSION-PAGEID-PAGENAME] ex: 202103X001-ProjectName-NewWebsite-001-Page001-HOME.psd
    • 06.Development (folder for all production / code work)

      • _GLOBALSOURCEFILES
      • [DATE-PROJECTID-PROJECTNAME-WEBTYPE] ex: 202103X001-ProjectName-NewWebsite
        • [DATE-PROJECTID-PROJECTNAME-WEBTYPE-VERSION] ex: 202103X001-ProjectName-NewWebsite-Alpha.01.01
          • GIT:[DATE-PROJECTID-PROJECTNAME-WEBTYPE-VERSION] ex: 202103X001-ProjectName-NewWebsite-Alpha.01.01.01
    • 07.Deliverables (folder for all final files given to the client)

      • BRANDING
      • PRINT
      • VIDEO
      • WEB

    CODE FILESYSTEM:

    rant: My code naming is generally still changing everytime and its becoming annoying. I want to be able to have a system that i can utilize throughout my projects in a clear clean manner.

    GIT:[DATE-PROJECTID-PROJECTNAME-WEBTYPE-VERSION] ex: 202103X001-ProjectName-NewWebsite-Alpha.01.01.01

    In this example ill use next.js as a setup:

    • core
      • base (anything that relates to the general app, like appollo client and redux init)
      • data (anything that relates to the data, like graphql schemas)
      • functons (functions used throughout)
        • main.js (should i use a general file here with exported constants/functions. Benefit able to import all from the same line.)
        • windowLoad.js (or divide them into their individual files. Benefit more organized view.)
      • global.scss (global css file)
      • _globalFunctions.scss (global mixin file)
    • modules
      • _global (global modules used throughout the app)
      • [MODULEGROUPNAME] ex: home
        • [MODULENAME] ex: homeHero
          • [MODULEPARTNAME] ex: homeHeroLayout.js
          • [MODULEPARTNAME.SCSS] ex: homeHeroLayout-module.scss
          • index.js
    • pages
      • (the nextjs system has its own strict layout for the files here)
    • public
      • img
        • [SEO-TARGET-WORDS-PROJECTNAME] ex: top-leading-tomato-seller-Santorino-Tomatoes-logo.jpg
      • style
      • scripts
      • favicon
      • video
      • files
    • redux

    • package.json and rest of the files


    IN-CODE NAMING:

    For my code itself its becoming tiresome having to chain the css and manage to name the objects in a proper manner.

    example:

    <section id="LANDINGPAGEHERO-01" className={`landingPageHero LPH_`}> <div className="LPH_Wrapper"> <div className="LPH_BG"> <div className="LPH_Content"> <div className="LPH_ContentLeft"> <div className="LPH_ContentLeft-Top">

    and imagine doing that while chain linking the modules that goes down 3-4 steps.

    I like to use my scss mixins and use the scss format of chain styling and also have the classnames work as indicators for SEO purposes. Like heap.io reads clicks on class names and ids and such. I could just utilize no classnames and go styling through things like h1 and direct dom elements (which i do) but then you loose the clear overview of the content.

    Anyways i know its a lot to go through, but if anyone can offer some advice on any sections, its appreciated.

    submitted by /u/MightyMorph
    [link] [comments]

    Python: Is it better to use timer.sleep or to just user a cronjob?

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 03:52 AM PST

    Say if I Have a program that checks something and I want it to run every 5 minutes, which is the better way to run this program and why?

    Just run a cronjob to execute the program every 5 mins or have an infinite loop in the code with a timer.sleep for 5 mins once it is finieshed?

    submitted by /u/LongIslandIceJoe
    [link] [comments]

    I'm a new grad with a coding interview next week and I'm terrified. HELP!

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 08:32 PM PST

    Hey Guys! I'm a senior Data Analytics student and I'm graduating in May. I have programming experience but most of it isn't in the complicated algorithms that most technical interview questions ask. I have a coding interview for a tech company that's hiring for a Junior Software Engineer next week and honestly I'm terrified and don't know how to prepare. I'm somewhat confident in my ability to solve issues but as this is my first coding interview I have no idea what type of stuff to study to prepare. For a first job position would they ask hard questions or would they give me more basic problems that don't require difficult mathematical algorithms?

    Any help is appreciated!!

    TL;DR: I have a coding interview for a junior software engineer position as a new grad and I don't know how to prepare.

    submitted by /u/MehNameSky
    [link] [comments]

    RapidAPI Error

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 07:45 PM PST

    I'm new to using APIs and so I decided to watch a yt tutorial and I got this error when I was working with the Openweather API from RapidAPI: Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found).

    When I plugged it into Postman, it says that I have an invalid API key when I'm pretty sure I have a valid one. Can someone help resolve this issue?

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Silent-Lime-5510
    [link] [comments]

    Language selection for desktop and mobile

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 06:19 PM PST

    That is, in this way:

    • for the "Desktop" application on Windows, Linux, and macOS I choose .NET Core.
    • for Android and iOS applications I choose Xamarin

    I tried to combine the application, but due to the size of the screen all this combined in one framework gave an unsatisfactory result.

    submitted by /u/phpbluedragon
    [link] [comments]

    Should I quit my master degree early?

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 03:17 AM PST

    I've started my master degree after quitting my job where I worked for 3 years, on a database driven application. I'm not performing as I hoped and I'm afraid I might need to retake some courses.

    Going back to school have been more stressful than I anticipated and I'm afraid I might not be mentally capable.

    How will my job opportunities be now and in the future, if I never get a master degree?

    [Denmark, free tuition]

    submitted by /u/MullitJake
    [link] [comments]

    What is the Net::HTTP equivalent of setConnectTimeout(),setSocketTimeout(),setConnectionRequestTimeout()?

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 10:46 AM PST

    I'm trying to rewrite my java program in ruby and I'm using Net::HTTP as my http client. How to set these?

    submitted by /u/prvshagrwl
    [link] [comments]

    How to write something that can sort words in categories ?

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 09:05 AM PST

    So I'm a beginner in programming, already did some simple projects with Python. Now I always think about a script that can form sentences in a more or less correct way. I want to input lots of sentences, wich the program can learn from and recognize which kind of words normally belong before or after an other word in a sentence. For example when the program decides to write ‚the' the probability should be very high that there will come a Noun afterwards. My problem is, that I don't really understand how I could make the program sort the words into categories such as Nouns, adverbs, adjectives etc. I could do something like when ‚the' is before , the word is probably a Noun, but it gets quite difficult soon. I couldn't find anything that goes in this direction. Maybe just a huge online dictionary would be enough where I already have the categories but is there a relatively simple way to do this on his own?

    submitted by /u/Nic0lodeon
    [link] [comments]

    A question about RecyclerView in Android? An inner class as a type parameter?

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 08:36 AM PST

    I know generics can use any non primitive data types but I can't wrap my head around this

    public class MyRecyclerViewAdapter extends RecyclerView.Adapter<MyRecyclerViewAdapter.ViewHolder>

    A class using an inner class as a type parameter. What's the advantage and how would it be different if ViewHolder wasn't a nested class?

    https://pastebin.com/GFRG5MJS

    submitted by /u/dexsst
    [link] [comments]

    Image processing using vulkan compute

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 04:24 AM PST

    Total noob on GPGPU. I'm trying to learn the api by using some simple example that I'm familiar with.

    Say if i want to convert a grayscale image to binary image, threshold is 125. How do i achieve that using vulkan api?

    submitted by /u/lycan2005
    [link] [comments]

    Would this work?

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 07:23 AM PST

    I am a bit new to programming and came up with a hypothethical way to create a singularity would someone tell me why it wouldnt work? If you make an ai that can better a code by 0.005% then in the recursive passing of itself you can make an ai that can grab a code an make it perfect to run the most efficiently, make an ai that takes 10 nodes and itself as an input and 10 nodes and a new version of it self as an output maybe 300 hidden layers of 256 nodes, pass it thourgh the ai that can perfect a code, make the perfect conciousness, give it a few apis to play with an learn, create a singularity

    submitted by /u/Chunkyisnotdead
    [link] [comments]

    Ideas for communities

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 07:05 AM PST

    We're creating a project that has a feature called circles, it's like communities. Is there anywhere to get a list of basic communities to just start off with.

    submitted by /u/antgha
    [link] [comments]

    How to progress with java

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 05:53 AM PST

    I've learnt java for a few years now because we're taught it in school. I've only used the BlueJ ide and nothing else. I have all the basic concepts down, but I'd like to progress, specifically towards android app development. Would you know any resources on how to go about using more complicated ides (specifically intellij, since android studio's based on it) and what books/websites could I use to learn more about OOP and java in general? Many thanks

    submitted by /u/ForeverFew
    [link] [comments]

    I want to build a neat image-database website, how do I proceed?

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 03:56 AM PST

    In my student-town we have an old tradition (over 70 years) of making medals to commomerate different events. I'm a 2nd year computer science student, and I want to build an image-database with a neat interface where you can search after the different medals and read the story behind them. What I'm imagining is:

    • A frontpage with the images in a grid-like view and a searchbar
    • The ability to upload images and tag them
    • Being able to click an image and have a page with a description of the event it belongs to

    I've been interested in learning React, as it will be very useful later in my study. But it's not a must! I've also been told that Firebase could help. So basically I have an idea, and I would like some input on how to start and what technologies could fit my project. Hopefully this is the appropriate subreddit to ask!

    submitted by /u/VikingKeyboards
    [link] [comments]

    Adding Bootstrap 4 Searchable Dropdown in Google Apps Script

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 02:47 AM PST

    So I have been trying to use Bootstrap-select to add a search feature in my dropdown menu for Google Apps Script.

    I tried following this guide, and added the cdn and js available here, but I cant seem to get it working in my Google Apps Script Webapp. All I am getting is a dropdown with no option to serach.

    Below is my code, can someone please tell me what am I doing wrong?

    uform.html:

     <!doctype html> <html lang="en"> <head> <!-- Required meta tags --> <meta charset="utf-8"> <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1"> <!-- Bootstrap CSS --> <link href="https://cdn.jsdelivr.net/npm/bootstrap@5.0.0-beta2/dist/css/bootstrap.min.css" rel="stylesheet" integrity="sha384-BmbxuPwQa2lc/FVzBcNJ7UAyJxM6wuqIj61tLrc4wSX0szH/Ev+nYRRuWlolflfl" crossorigin="anonymous"> <link rel="stylesheet" href="https://stackpath.bootstrapcdn.com/bootstrap/4.1.3/css/bootstrap.min.css" integrity="sha384-MCw98/SFnGE8fJT3GXwEOngsV7Zt27NXFoaoApmYm81iuXoPkFOJwJ8ERdknLPMO" crossorigin="anonymous"> </head> <body> <div class="container"> <ul class="nav nav-tabs" id="myTab" role="tablist"> <li class="nav-item" role="presentation"> <button class="nav-link active" id="home-tab" data-bs-toggle="tab" data-bs-target="#home" type="button" role="tab" aria-controls="home" aria-selected="true">Home</button> </li> <li class="nav-item" role="presentation"> <button class="nav-link" id="sales-tab" data-bs-toggle="tab" data-bs-target="#sales" type="button" role="tab" aria-controls="sales" aria-selected="false">Sales</button> </li> <li class="nav-item" role="presentation"> <button class="nav-link" id="purchase-tab" data-bs-toggle="tab" data-bs-target="#purchase" type="button" role="tab" aria-controls="purchase" aria-selected="false">Purchase</button> </li> <li class="nav-item" role="presentation"> <button class="nav-link" id="contact-tab" data-bs-toggle="tab" data-bs-target="#contact" type="button" role="tab" aria-controls="contact" aria-selected="false">Contact Details</button> </li> </ul> <div class="tab-content" id="myTabContent"> <div class="tab-pane fade show active" id="home" role="tabpanel" aria-labelledby="home-tab">1</div> <div class="tab-pane fade" id="sales" role="tabpanel" aria-labelledby="sales-tab"> <br><h3 class="display-6">New Sales Case</h3> <div class="col-md-4"> <select class="selectpicker" data-live-search="true" aria-label=".form-select-sm example" id="inputSales-CaseOwner"> </select> </div> <br><h5>Contact Details</h5> <form class="row g-3"> <div class="col-md-4"> <label for="inputSales-CxName" class="form-label">Search with Phone Number</label> <select class="selectpicker" data-live-search="true" aria-label="Default select example" id="inputSales-CxName"> </select> </div> </form> <br><div> <button type="submit" class="btn btn-primary" id="save-button-contact">Save</button> </div> </div> </div> </div> <!-- Optional JavaScript; choose one of the two! --> <!-- Option 1: Bootstrap Bundle with Popper --> <script src="https://cdn.jsdelivr.net/npm/bootstrap@5.0.0-beta2/dist/js/bootstrap.bundle.min.js" integrity="sha384-b5kHyXgcpbZJO/tY9Ul7kGkf1S0CWuKcCD38l8YkeH8z8QjE0GmW1gYU5S9FOnJ0" crossorigin="anonymous"></script> <!-- Option 2: Separate Popper and Bootstrap JS --> <!-- <script src="https://cdn.jsdelivr.net/npm/@popperjs/core@2.6.0/dist/umd/popper.min.js" integrity="sha384-KsvD1yqQ1/1+IA7gi3P0tyJcT3vR+NdBTt13hSJ2lnve8agRGXTTyNaBYmCR/Nwi" crossorigin="anonymous"></script> <script src="https://cdn.jsdelivr.net/npm/bootstrap@5.0.0-beta2/dist/js/bootstrap.min.js" integrity="sha384-nsg8ua9HAw1y0W1btsyWgBklPnCUAFLuTMS2G72MMONqmOymq585AcH49TLBQObG" crossorigin="anonymous"></script> --> <script> function afterFormLoadsSalesCaseOwner(){ google.script.run.withSuccessHandler(afterSalesDropdownReturned).getSalesCaseOwnerDropdown(); } function afterSalesDropdownReturned(arrayOfArrays){ var item = document.getElementById("inputSales-CaseOwner"); arrayOfArrays.forEach(function(r){ var option = document.createElement("option"); option.textContent = r[0]; item.appendChild(option); }); } document.addEventListener("DOMContentLoaded",afterFormLoadsSalesCaseOwner); </script> <script src="https://code.jquery.com/jquery-3.3.1.slim.min.js" integrity="sha384-q8i/X+965DzO0rT7abK41JStQIAqVgRVzpbzo5smXKp4YfRvH+8abtTE1Pi6jizo" crossorigin="anonymous"></script> <script src="https://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/popper.js/1.14.3/umd/popper.min.js" integrity="sha384-ZMP7rVo3mIykV+2+9J3UJ46jBk0WLaUAdn689aCwoqbBJiSnjAK/l8WvCWPIPm49" crossorigin="anonymous"></script> <script src="https://stackpath.bootstrapcdn.com/bootstrap/4.1.3/js/bootstrap.min.js" integrity="sha384-ChfqqxuZUCnJSK3+MXmPNIyE6ZbWh2IMqE241rYiqJxyMiZ6OW/JmZQ5stwEULTy" crossorigin="anonymous"></script> </body> </html> 

    functions.gs

    function getSalesCaseOwnerDropdown(){ const ss = SpreadsheetApp.getActiveSpreadsheet(); const ws = ss.getSheetByName("CaseOwners"); return ws.getRange(2, 1, ws.getLastRow()-1, 1).getValues(); } 

    What my Result Looks Like:

    Screenshot from Webapp ....I need a search box in this.

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/Nervous-Ad555
    [link] [comments]

    Learning PsychoPy in short amount of time?

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 02:12 AM PST

    Hello, I'm meant to do a project using PsychoPy for my psychology degree. The problem is, I've never coded before (ok maybe some HTML in a free boot camp experience once). I've never learned Python or anything Backend Dev related, and now I'm aiming to learn how to use PsychoPy and Pavlovia in a short amount of time (3-5 days?). I tried watching YouTube tutorials and following the PsychoPy website, but it's so confusing and overwhelming. Does anyone have any resources or tips for learning this? Thank you!

    submitted by /u/reddict1234
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment