• Breaking News

    Thursday, March 4, 2021

    What are some skillsets that you would expect any Sr. Developer to have? Ask Programming

    What are some skillsets that you would expect any Sr. Developer to have? Ask Programming


    What are some skillsets that you would expect any Sr. Developer to have?

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 02:57 PM PST

    Basically...

    I'm reaching the point where, strictly speaking on years of experience, I can start to call myself a Sr Developer, however, I feel like a fraud on this regards since I strongly believe I have a huge amount of skillsets/techs that are missing from my portfolio, it's just that I don't specifically know what I'm missing.

    So I would like some opinions of what a seasoned developer should be expected to already know.

    submitted by /u/Star_Dust__
    [link] [comments]

    Lack of motivation and lack of discipline

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 06:10 PM PST

    Back in late 2019, I started a small project for my gcse and finished it in Feb 2020. I wrote it in python and it was really bad but I was proud. I was 15 at the time and when I finished it, I told myself I'd learn python more and make more projects. Well in March 2020, lockdown 1 started and lasted till July and since my gcses were cancelled, I had no lessons till Sept and so thought this would be the best time to learn to code. Well while it was the best time, I just ended up gaming constantly for nearly the whole time. I hated myself for it and still do.

    Fast forward to Sept 2020 and I'm in year 12 starting computer science alevel. I have to code a project which is 20% of my final grade and I decide to do a graphical calculator with a gui. Now I didn't make much progress but then another lockdown happened from Dec to now(March 21) and I thought to myself this would be the best time to learn more, learn how to use libraries like numpy and matplotlib and seaborn.

    In reality I wasted all the time gaming. I tried to stop but I couldn't and now I'm doing it again, everyday I wake up saying to myself I will do this or that I would learn that and then just end up gaming the whole day. I want to stop but I don't know how. I tried uninstalling all the games but I just reinstall them in a week, I tried switching over to linux(manjaro) but I can't convince myself to delete my windows partition yet. I want to reduce or stop my gaming but idk how any I really need help, I hope you guys could help.

    A little about the project: I haven't touched it since November 2020 but so far all I have is an idea of how to implement this. I'm planning on splitting up the calculator into modules with separate guis. When you load the program, there would be a parent module, the 'Basic' module and this would have basic methods like arithmetic and simple trigonometry etc. Then there would be sub modules like 'polynomial' module which would take in a certain polynomial and then either graph it or return its roots and turning points. The polynomial module could/would inherit methods from the basic module. I was originally planning to do it in python, in a Object Oriented way with decorators that could be extra feature with a click of a button like shift. This is what I originally thought up of but honestly idk if this is out of my scope and skill, I'm OK with OOP but I've never coded a gui before so idk if I have the skills for it. Just to clarify, I'm asking if the general outline I specified seems OK and what I could improve on since this is my first actual project. Also the project is due Jan 2022

    Sorry for the long read but I am just unsure of what to do. Should I delete my windows partition and stop gaming and only play certain games like ksp where I get bored quickly so I won't constantly play it or do I do something else. As for the project, how could I improve my general outline and how do I know that this is in my scope and skill level and possible in the time frame.

    I hope all you wonderful people are as safe as can be and I thank you for reading this

    submitted by /u/W1nd0ws98
    [link] [comments]

    What is this coding style called?

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 07:49 AM PST

    Basically you firstly have the type of variable then the name. Ex. sName would be stringName Although I don't think strings had an s prefix. I really like how this looks and I'd love to use it when I write CPP.

    submitted by /u/RedditFrenzy
    [link] [comments]

    help

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 10:17 PM PST

    I am new to python I have been trying to install a package but I keep getting the error please help. I have seen posts saying I should reinstall conda. I have done that too. Please help Thank you!

    for

    conda install lmfit

    EnvironmentLocationNotFound: Not a conda environment: C:\Users\Username

    for

    pip install lmfit

    'C:\Users\Username' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

    submitted by /u/OwnShift7598
    [link] [comments]

    Medicine Timer WebApp

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 10:00 PM PST

    Been trying to get made for 1-2 years

    a React webapp seems to be the move, web mobile first then web desktop

    old thread with replies and more questions and responses

    https://old.reddit.com/r/programmingrequests/comments/d5px2c/med_timer_app/

    Edit I don't know where the conversation had gone that I put in at the bottom before.

    I need help creating a timer for my medicine / any medicine timer

    I take 100mg of Gabapentin and then I need to take 1 day/24hours off before consuming again, then if I take 200mg I need to take 2days/48 hours off. I can only take so many mg.

    I also want it to/an option to maximize how much I can take how often as that's how it's supposed to be and auto-adjust if I adjust the dose for a day or two.

    I basically want it to fill out a/my calendar so I know what to take when. Max dosing for another medicine is 800mg.

    So like I might take 200mg of drug C on Friday, then 200mg Monday, 400mg Thursday, 200mg Tuesday, then I couldn't take it again until Friday but I might not take any for somedays/week/weeks but when I take a dose again I want it to auto fill after I put in my dose.

    If I take like 200mg Monday and then take 200 or like more likely 400mg the next day I want it to let me know to take 6 days off.

    Maybe this could be made in Google spreadsheets or something?

    edit someone's helping me currently whoops they stopped responding

    Yes! Can you send me as much detail on the app as possible?

    Awesome.

    So this medicine I take specifically not all do but this one it's really for has a quick tolerance build up so like I can take it two days in a row but the second day so let's say I have to input my first dose so Thursday I put 200mg for (some medicines are liquids and in oz or mL but I'll do mg for example) for Friday to take 400mg if I want the same desired effects as the 200 the day before. Or it'll also show after 2 days so like Sunday 200mg again as I can take that then and it'll work the way it should.

    If I ever have a high stress day and take 600 or 800mg it'd space out 6-8 days accordingly before 200 had the same effects. Now if I take 800 it shouldn't display to take more than that another day because 800 is the max dose for that drug.

    Maybe allow more than one drug at a time too so I can have scheduled all my meds.

    Currently I mostly run on an Android at least a phone like not really a computer so if it can run on that if it could be like a Google spreadsheet or something that would be awesome too.

    That's very interesting. So 200mg increase per day provides the same effect as the previous day due to a tolerance buildup?

    Not exactly like i could take 200mg then if I'm stressed or a major emergency happens and I have to take some then I might take 600 for instance instead of 400 because of how bad it is. I have to take more because the tolerance but also if it's really bad. If I took like 300mg I'd normally wait 3 days before taking 200mg again for full effects.

    I figured you'd have like variable ABCD and so forth or whatever in you could change those so it wouldn't like I could set it to be a hundred mg per day or would not like to take off an average butt I could also change it to like a different amount in a different substance like sometimes I use mL for other meds.


    https://med-timer-app-dev.wonnieraad.co.za/

    https://med-timer-app-dev.wonnieraad.co.za/ https://github.com/devosray/MedTimerApp* first one I can maybe get the code if it's not there for you

    React is best with webapps Using graphQL and express/node.js on the backend Every tech company is looking for react devs for front end

    me:

    It doesn't have to be a proper program. The calculator I got made in Google spreadsheet for example due to ease of access. And can be run offline etc and easier than whole program from scratch

    It'd be unfortunate, but if couldn't be on desktop maybe there's a way or a browser extension to run .apks in browser or something

    from YMK1234

    [-1] via /r/AskProgramming

    Phonegap, Xamarin, ...

    from SimRijn2000

    via /r/AskProgramming

    You could make an web application and use Flutter to load that website in an Webview?

    from stationear

    [+1] via /r/CodingHelp

    old coder:

    React is Facebooks open source JavaScript

    JavaScript in a Progressive Web App.

    And you can also use materialUI, googles UI framework, to plug and play google UI components and edit/customize them from there

    For the native app you'd have to pay to host it on iOS

    But you can just have a webapp

    React basically allows you to write it once

    And it works on both iOS and andriod

    Will also look a lot better, cause you can use googles UI elements with materialUI

    Try to make like a flowchart if what a user experience would look like

    from apantomathicalbruh

    [+1] via /r/CodingHelp

    You could use react native and electron, which is used by discord and some Microsoft apps, react is optional but web apps in general are probably best with it, react native can be Transformed to apk and ios files so it's not a website. and also do it with electron for desktop app conversion. Wish you luck in your projects and remember to research them before you start fully learning. You can use vue native but it's a bit outdated but said to be easier [–]daggo04

    [+1] [score hidden] just now Python and Kivy Library.

    from an old dev

    "Mobile first development"

    Nah we can make a web app We just want to work well on mobile right, making it work on desktop is easy

    me:

    For med scheduler I'd like if you could click in on a med and see the avg. yearly amount you take like how often.

    and estimated amount for schedule you have if you do it every time it's available

    It'd be nice to have a stock/inventory of each item you have and can note and it show how much you have relative to that. Whether Zpak, Inhaler, Gabapentin or what

    For scheduler


    old coder: I admit I only read through your recent messages once so far, but I am somewhat overwhelmed. That's a lot of interesting ideas, but for practical purposes, I would like to clarify which features belong in which app. Would it be correct to say that the sketch I drew a couple days ago encompasses everything you want in the first app? Ignoring for now externals like donation buttons, links. etc.

    Me:

    Yeah just keep them separate Medicine body weight calculator Or Medicine and redose body weight calculator but kinda long Maybe in future can mix But Medicine Timer/Scheduler is the first More or less just lmk Amplifiers and Diminisher would be for schedule too But note option on Medicine Body Weight Calculator would be nice to put for Diminishes and only 2 redoses needed or can do 0 or 1. Slash let ppl put their own notes in Or have seperate but note option still good for 2nd program too You don't have to buy laying out and fleshing out 100% of what I sent you neater and nicer that'd be perfect for both of us prob and can pay more for that but not needed over program that's most important

    old coder:

    I will lay it out roughly how it appears in the sketch then after any minor adjustments to make its functionality match what you were looking for I can try to make its style/theme match what you want. Preferably if you could point to maybe another website. But if the medicine body weight calculator is a different one then I suppose I shall start on this one today.

    me:

    It's kinda unique so no real comparison, why it's needed so much. At Dr's rn I'll try and see later

    me:

    I have one last program to make I'd pay you for after these ones but don't want to overwhelm you rn But just that spreadsheet calculator simplified "This is something I'd like to be posted in the lounge for people to see! The reason i am not going to pin it is because most of the questions i am asked day to day are pretty simple basic math. This chart needs to be simplified a lot i think for the average joe to understand !

    Or it could be posted in comments of the already pined post most people read the comments for more info!" Someone said about it Yesterday

    me:

    https://ibb.co/G97QSLH If some way could include this or a toggle So of you take this much of like Hydrocodone it takes so many days off The equivalent to codeine or others So 120mg codeine has 2 days off then tolerance reset If you set that up, maybe had a toggle default/numbers displayed for ppl to copy as notes on the side that'd be great For scheduler but maybe could be useful/included for the other things too Or if it's made into only 1 or 2 points Programs*

    Me:

    Dihydrocodeine as a strength range so so 1.5-1.75-2 as strong. I do 1.75 now for middle grounding seemed best But that as options would be nice And also as methadone and other drugs vary per person I think let me get quote, not having anything for that or making something for it would work


    latest coder that quit

    me:

    https://pastebin.com/FBc0p6sk

    I will pay you whatever to go through that thread and pastebin might not be able to all at once but it's like 1 project now, and 2 other smaller ones but could maybe all be built in one this one is less private, and more world positivity focus, not to say the other isn't either

    them: is this for you? im confused on what it needs to be website, app?

    me: web app android PC iOS

    them: all of the above?

    me: VREvangelist: I think. if it's a webapp it can be done for all both "For the native app you'd have to pay to host it on iOS"

    them: i feel like this could be done in a google sheet

    me: "But you can just have a webapp" https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mc4sfCzd9ZAsZN6iJGGUP-_wUPTPit4R/view?usp=drivesdk I have this but my drug scheduler? if you think it could but kinda want push notifications, or a text, or email or something to let you know when to take your medicine then I have liquid volume calculator spreadsheet I linked but it's too complicated and intimidating for ppl someone even said this

    them: google sheets is pretty advanced could easily run a script to email you when a day comes up

    me: "This is something I'd like to be posted in the lounge for people to see! The reason i am not going to pin it is because most of the questions i am asked day to day are pretty simple basic math. This chart needs to be simplified a lot i think for the average joe to understand ! Or it could be posted in comments of the already pined post most people read the comments for more info!"Someone said about it for the spreadsheet calculator and great to the email thing though I might have it go off like ever few minutes or hours too. Like hit vape pen every 15 minutes, dab rig every 60. or maybe less even depending on what you're doing.Gabapentin you take it 30 minutes apart

    them: sounds like a separate thing to me

    me: then there's the MDMA/and substance body weight doser. It could just have the info set up for MDMA. But also you could allow people to re-title categories and change settings around for other substances

    in that case you just need alarms on your phone? the main reason I am getting for this is to measure doses and know when your next one is based on previous volume but if your volume/timing is consistent then you can just use an alarm (e.g. for vape)

    me: I suppose but they'd need to adjust everything if I make an adjustment. if a year down the line is planned but I take a dose to early and extend my tolerance reset days it'll have to recalculate the rest of time for my substances and their dosages and dates and times I feel it's easier to make all three even if seems harder in a way then maybe even later combine them because you could click on one tab for schedule one tab for body weight dosing and one tab for liquid/volume homebrewing slash for compounding your medications breaking up a pill, suspending it in a syrup vehicle or making your own simple syrup to take it many old ppl do or have a compounding pharmacy do it

    should just take it one at a time drug scheduler aka med timer Medicine body weight calculator is very simple though, you just input your body weight in kg + 50 then do 1.125 and get your total dosing your total dosing is then split in half, and you take on half. and then split the other half into two quarters those are your redoses you take 1-2 whatever you want BUT, we could easily allow anyone to put any substance name there and set their own max/minimum or no redoses also a toggle for the 1.125x thing if it's another substance or version which is just something recommended also being able to toggle to lb option and it convert or something or display both then that volume spreadsheet is already made and the cells have the math's in them but making it into a program would be nice for simpler people but if we made it a general drug body weight calculator, ppl could just import especially by typing in a seed instead of a file other's MDMA schedules then that'd be great All under a guise of medicine and actually good for it but also good for alternative medicine users who are people too and discriminated unfairly daily

    (insert custom text) Med1 / spray - X for now Med2 / inhaler - Every 2 hours (test and change if needed)Med 3/ Vapepen - X for now Med4

    Med 5 -

    Med 6 -

    Med 7 -

    Med 8 -

    Med 9 - Once every weekend

    Med 10 -

    Med 11 - You build a tolerance that doesn't reset for 14 days/2 weeks

    Med 12- Perhaps 3 - 5 weeks if you're using less than or equal to 120 mg and no more than 3 total sessions. Three months is an anecdotally based rule of thumb\

    Med 13 -

    Med 14 - 20 mg initially and another 10 mg after 2-3 hours seems like a reasonable plan. You can of course judge at the time whether you even need a redose or not.(tolerance resets after 48hrs but should wait 1-2 weeks so you don't feel a little crazy)Note: [Example] seems to "unpredictably potentiate"

    Med 15 - Every two months, maybe twice a year.

    Med 16 - 1.5-2 week gap for tolerance reset, but probably use only once a month max, maybe once a year

    Med 17

    I want to be free, but can put Monero addresses for us both for donations

    I had an idea, and I'm having someone else create it. They'll be two credits, what should mine? Theirs' "coder"

    Creator? Seems like too much credit. Can't think of any others

    https://old.reddit.com/r/grammar/comments/lu1dbl/i_had_really_good_idea_some_would_say_and_im/

    someone: "Hard to say without knowing what we're creating here. Perhaps Designer? Engineer? Problem Solver? You could also use "co-creator", but it sounds like you want a more hierarchical title." So you could be labeled Coder and myself Idea from or something

    submitted by /u/MedicineTimerApp
    [link] [comments]

    Easiest way to add material mesh to 3d object and generate image

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 09:52 PM PST

    I am looking to create functionality similar to this site: https://smartmockups.com/

    I want to take a supplied image and wrap it over a 3d object. I have seen plenty of tutorials for how to do this on the front-end using threee.js but I am not sure how this can be achieved on the back-end.

    My stack is C#/asp.net core. Is there a library or something I can use to achieve this?

    submitted by /u/Mr_Nice_
    [link] [comments]

    Facial Recognition with Machine Learning

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 04:29 AM PST

    I have a project where I have to do facial recognition with machine learning where I am forbidden to use deep-learn models. I want to build something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax6P93r32KU. However it uses a deep-learning model. I don't want anyone to write my code for me or anything. I kindly ask for some info&pointers (some info, some video, documentation, maybe an example project all welcome). Thanks in advence for any info.

    submitted by /u/thenart21
    [link] [comments]

    Are there any tips for "thinking" like a good programmer?

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 09:22 PM PST

    Hello, I was curious if there is general advice on mindsets or techniques that are useful for programming. I come from a physics background, and we love drawing pictures, dividing complex systems into individual ones, and generalizing. I assume that CS has similar methods.

    Are there any helpful tips that you have picked up?

    submitted by /u/ExactPlace441
    [link] [comments]

    Send notifications from API

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 12:11 PM PST

    I have a REST API that accepts POST requests via an API key by a client. I will do process that data (it can take even days), and after that data is available, I want to somehow notify the client (which is, hopefully, a backend server, as they have to secure their API key).

    I can't wrap my head around how to solve this issue. I was thinking about callbacks (sending a POST request to the client once the data is processed) but I'm not sure how to do that securely. Should I consider Kafka or websockets? I am using Java with Spring Boot.

    I'm sorry if this is not the right sub. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/castorasmic
    [link] [comments]

    How to get text message previews for a single-page application

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 08:41 PM PST

    Does anyone have any recourses or help on how I could add text message previews for my website if it is a single-page application? Currently, when I send a link, there is never a title and image like when you see when you send someone an iMessage of a link. Any help is appreciated

    submitted by /u/HowieDerin
    [link] [comments]

    Flutter and Node JS, subscribing to updates from the Backend

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 01:08 PM PST

    Context:

    I'm developing an issue/ticket system on NodeJS with MongoDB and Server Side Rendering with EJS. The tickets are submitted by admin, and the users receive tickets assigned to them & can add comments and mark them as complete.

    Here is where I need help:

    I want to be able to subscribe to new incoming issues/tickets on Flutter every time someone from the portal front-end side submits a ticket. Initially in the Flutter Mobile App, on initState, the tickets assigned to a user are fetched via REST API. But I want to be able to listen for new tickets from the backend/mongodb.

    From what I have researched so far

    • RxJS and RxDart but haven't got a clue how to connect them somehow (been looking for articles but no luck).
    • Web Sockets/SocketIOs, was thinking it might be a bit too much for this app to keep socket connection open while on a certain screen.
    • Node JS Mongodb Driver, Collection.watch() with aggregated pipelines to match/filter out docs. Haven't got a clue on how to push this update to Flutter app.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated and sorry if my wording is not clear enough (P.S. I do not want to use Firebase).

    submitted by /u/wackcity685
    [link] [comments]

    What is the second best option after going to university?

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 04:06 PM PST

    I'm in my second semester now, and while I do think programming is the best possible orientation for me, I just don't feel the university aspect of it all. I obsess over every little thing about it, and I think I'm going to get crazy if I continue there. I just set the bar up so high for me, as I aim for the best possible grades, that it feels unreachable. (Currently, I'm studying software-engineer)

    I don't know if it's in correlation with online studying, as I've never been on the campus itself at al everything has been online so far. But I just feel like the lack of a good programming teacher also doesn't help. And all in all I feel kind of lost and hopeless.
    Does anyone have an experience similar to mine, that you are willing to share? Or whether or not I should just try to persevere, or what should I do?

    submitted by /u/existenceis-pain
    [link] [comments]

    How to remove the middle of a string in python?

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 07:17 PM PST

    Let's say I have a string like 123s...e456s,,,e89 and want to remove all those middle starts and ends and everything in between them (so that it returns 123456789). all the starts and ends are the same but all the '...'s are different. Is there anyway I can easily do this?

    submitted by /u/Smokey_The_Lion
    [link] [comments]

    How do I lock a border to multiple elements in HTML/ CSS?

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 03:08 PM PST

    I have a simple box grid where the second column contains a number adjuster (decrement/ increment). This adjuster consists of a group of two buttons, one on each side, and a quantity input in the middle. The issue here is that when I try to add a border to all three elements it becomes scalable with the website while the adjuster does not. Is there a way to lock it length wise to the exact length of all three elements?

    HTML: <ul class="adjustAmount"> <!-- Button to decrease amount to min 1 --> <button type="button" class="adjust_decrease btn-sm" type="minus" onclick="disableButtonDEC(); buttonDEC()"> <span class="glyphicon glyphicon-minus"></span> </button> <!-- The current amount of the ingredient --> <input class="quantity btn-sm" type="text" id="adjust" value="1" disabled> <!-- Button to increase amount to max 100 --> <button type="p-button" class="adjust_increase btn-sm" type="plus" onclick="disableButtonINC(); buttonINC()"> <span class="glyphicon glyphicon-plus"></span> </button> </ul> 

    CSS: .adjustAmount { border: 1px solid gray; border-radius: 4px; display: flex; flex-direction: row; position: relative; padding: 0px 0px; } 
    submitted by /u/miszlokaira
    [link] [comments]

    How to read documentation.

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 09:08 AM PST

    Hello reddit. In advance, Sorry for my non-native English. Maybe it's a stupid question.

    I'm beginner with Android development. I have two simple apps which I wrote myself. When I was writing these apps I often use google and stackoverflow. And now I want to create my third app that to be help me to memorize foreign words. At this moment I decided to use only android documentation since I consider that I know these languages well enough but I applying it, so to say at first time. When I started making the app I found I can't write nothing using only documentation. It's very hard hitting on my self-esteem. For many years I learn on my own, can building website, writing a simple apps, make desktop/console apps but just don't understant the documentation.

    In example, Now i need to implement such a simple thing as SelectionTracker and ActionMode on RecycleView. I go to documentation and see: "Implement ItemDetailsLookup". Ok, how do I should implement it? Go to next link and see: "public abstract class ItemDetailsLookup extends Object. The Selection library calls getItemDetails(MotionEvent) when it needs access to information about the area and/or ItemDetailsLookup.ItemDetails under a MotionEvent. Your implementation must negotiate ViewHolder lookup with the corresponding RecyclerView instance, and the subsequent conversion of the ViewHolder instance to an ItemDetailsLookup.ItemDetails instance.".

    And silence... Ok I see this "public abstract class ItemDetailsLookup extends Object.". It seems to be I should to create the class and extend it from ItemDetailsLookup class, also I should implement the getItemDetails method which takes the one MotionEvent parameter. Ok, and what I should write into this method?

    What that means? " ItemDetailsLookup.ItemDetails under a MotionEvent"

    And what that means and what to write? "Your implementation must negotiate ViewHolder lookup with the corresponding RecyclerView instance, and the subsequent conversion of the ViewHolder instance to an ItemDetailsLookup.ItemDetails instance."

    How do you/professional developers reading and using documentation? Any tips? I wanted to make third app and go to Epam to study, but now I seems too dumb for all of this shit. I can't using Google search all of the time. Otherwise, what for developers were writing docs if all of devs using Google.

    submitted by /u/xorbyten
    [link] [comments]

    I've noticed that people prefer to name S3 bucket using hyphens (-) and not underscores (_). Why?

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 12:35 PM PST

    Are there any programming internships offered to recent high school graduates that have not yet gone to college?

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 04:40 PM PST

    I don't really have much to add beyond the title. I will be graduating from high school soon, and I was curious if there is any way to get a programming internship for the summer before going to college. I suspect that those internships don't exist, but I'm curious if anyone has any information about them.

    submitted by /u/OliverHPerry
    [link] [comments]

    What language would you use for periodic (and on demand) API calls and storing the response in a database?

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 01:33 PM PST

    I'm doing some research for a university project that (roughly) has the following requirements:

    • Data is fetched from external sources, using a combination of API calls and web scraping.
    • Retrieved data is standardized and stored in a relational database.
    • Historic data is retained - meaning it should be possible to see what the data looked like, say, 2 years ago.
    • The system must be flexible - allowing additional data sources and relations to be added in the future.
    • The system should be made up of runnable "modules" that will update a subset of the database. This must happen automatically at defined intervals, but it should also be possible to trigger these tasks manually.

    Those are the central requirements. There are more, but this is hopefully enough to give some advice. Let me know if you have questions or need to know more.

    Thanks!

    Edit: As for server architecture - it's flexible. Ideally, the system would be agnostic and work on any OS. I understand that the scheduling solution may depend on the OS though, and that's fine.

    submitted by /u/BillGoats
    [link] [comments]

    How to Add 'Data List' in Google Sheet Apps Script that Populates Data from from Google Sheet with Bootstrap and HTML5

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 03:51 AM PST

    First of all apologies if this is a silly question as I am a total newbie to coding and programming.

    I am trying to create a CRM Webapp using Google Apps Script for my company that stores all of its data in Google Sheet. The work is still in progress.

    This CRM Webapp will basically have a Home Tab (to Search and Edit Data), Sales Tab (to enter Sales Entry), Purchase Tab, (to enter Purchase Entry) and Contact Tab (to add Contact Details).

    The idea is that a user will first add the contact details of a New Customer/Supplier in the Contact Tab, and this data will be stored in the Google Sheet.

    Now to make a Sales or a Purchase Entry, the user will have to now First select the already entered Contact (Only Name, Phone Number and Email Id will be visible) within the respective Tab.

    For this I am trying to add a Data List from Bootstrap which will help the user to search and select the already stored Contact Details, and the depending contact fields need to fill automatically based on the Selected Name/Email/Phone.

    I tired a lot of methods and referred several posts, but I am not able to populate the Search data from within Google Sheet. I tried using the Dropdown Logic, but even that did not work.

    Following is my code. I am pasting only the parts that will look relevant to you guys as the entire thing is very unorganized. Any help will be highly appreciated.

    Loadform.gs:

    function loadForm() {

    const htmlServ = HtmlService.createTemplateFromFile("uform");

    const html = htmlServ.evaluate();

    html.setWidth(850).setHeight(600);

    const ui = SpreadsheetApp.getUi();

    ui.showModalDialog(html, "VKSPCPL CRM");

    }

    function createMenu_(){

    const ui = SpreadsheetApp.getUi();

    const menu = ui.createMenu("CRM");

    menu.addItem("Open APP", "loadForm");

    menu.addToUi();

    }

    function onOpen(){

    createMenu_();

    }

    Functions.gs:

    //Sales Functions---------------------------

    function salesEntry(rowDataSales) {

    const ss = SpreadsheetApp.getActiveSpreadsheet();

    const ws = ss.getSheetByName("Sales Contact Details");

    const currentDate = new Date();

    const uniqueIDs = ws.getRange(2, 1, ws.getLastRow()-1, 1).getValues();

    var maxNum = 0;

    uniqueIDs.forEach(r => {

    maxNum = r[0] > maxNum ? r[0] : maxNum

    });

    var caseNo = maxNum + 1;

    ws.appendRow([

    caseNo,

    rowDataSales.inputSalesCxName,

    "Sales",

    rowDataSales.inputSalesCaseOwner,

    currentDate,

    rowDataSales.inputSalesCoName,

    rowDataSales.inputSalesEmail,

    rowDataSales.inputSalesPhone,

    rowDataSales.inputSalesGST,

    rowDataSales.inputSalesCoAdd,

    rowDataSales.inputSalesState]);

    return true;

    }

    function getSalesCaseOwnerDropdown(){

    const ss = SpreadsheetApp.getActiveSpreadsheet();

    const ws = ss.getSheetByName("CaseOwners");

    return ws.getRange(2, 1, ws.getLastRow()-1, 1).getValues();

    }

    function salesStateList(){

    const ss = SpreadsheetApp.getActiveSpreadsheet();

    const ws = ss.getSheetByName("States");

    return ws.getRange(2, 1, ws.getLastRow()-1, 1).getValues();

    }

    function salesContactName(){

    const ss = SpreadsheetApp.getActiveSpreadsheet();

    const ws = ss.getSheetByName("Contact Details");

    return ws.getRange(2, 1, ws.getLastRow()-1, 1).getValues();

    }

    //-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    //Contact Functions--------------------------------------------------------------------------

    function getContactDropdown(){

    const ss = SpreadsheetApp.getActiveSpreadsheet();

    const ws = ss.getSheetByName("Customer Type");

    return ws.getRange(2, 1, ws.getLastRow()-1, 2).getValues();

    }

    function contactEntry(rowDataContact) {

    const ss = SpreadsheetApp.getActiveSpreadsheet();

    const ws = ss.getSheetByName("Contact Details");

    const currentDate = new Date();

    ws.appendRow([

    rowDataContact.inputContactName,

    rowDataContact.inputContactCoName,

    rowDataContact.inputContactPhone,

    rowDataContact.inputContactEmail,

    rowDataContact.inputContactGST,

    rowDataContact.inputContactCoAdd,

    rowDataContact.inputContactState,

    rowDataContact.inputContactCategory,

    rowDataContact.inputContactType,

    currentDate]);

    return true;

    }

    function contactStateList(){

    const ss = SpreadsheetApp.getActiveSpreadsheet();

    const ws = ss.getSheetByName("States");

    return ws.getRange(2, 1, ws.getLastRow()-1, 1).getValues();

    }

    uform.html:

    <!doctype html>

    <html lang="en">

    <head>

    <!-- Required meta tags -->

    <meta charset="utf-8">

    <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1">

    <!-- Bootstrap CSS -->

    <link href="https://cdn.jsdelivr.net/npm/bootstrap@5.0.0-beta2/dist/css/bootstrap.min.css" rel="stylesheet" integrity="sha384-BmbxuPwQa2lc/FVzBcNJ7UAyJxM6wuqIj61tLrc4wSX0szH/Ev+nYRRuWlolflfl" crossorigin="anonymous">

    </head>

    <body>

    <div class="container">

    <ul class="nav nav-tabs" id="myTab" role="tablist">

    <li class="nav-item" role="presentation">

    <button class="nav-link active" id="home-tab" data-bs-toggle="tab" data-bs-target="#home" type="button" role="tab" aria-controls="home" aria-selected="true">Home</button>

    </li>

    <li class="nav-item" role="presentation">

    <button class="nav-link" id="sales-tab" data-bs-toggle="tab" data-bs-target="#sales" type="button" role="tab" aria-controls="sales" aria-selected="false">Sales</button>

    </li>

    <li class="nav-item" role="presentation">

    <button class="nav-link" id="purchase-tab" data-bs-toggle="tab" data-bs-target="#purchase" type="button" role="tab" aria-controls="purchase" aria-selected="false">Purchase</button>

    </li>

    <li class="nav-item" role="presentation">

    <button class="nav-link" id="contact-tab" data-bs-toggle="tab" data-bs-target="#contact" type="button" role="tab" aria-controls="contact" aria-selected="false">Contact Details</button>

    </li>

    </ul>

    <div class="tab-content" id="myTabContent">

    <div class="tab-pane fade show active" id="home" role="tabpanel" aria-labelledby="home-tab">1</div>

    <div class="tab-pane fade" id="sales" role="tabpanel" aria-labelledby="sales-tab">

    <br><h3 class="display-6">New Sales Case</h3>

    <div class="col-md-4">

    <select class="form-select form-select-sm" aria-label=".form-select-sm example" id="inputSales-CaseOwner">

    </select>

    </div>

    <br><h5>Contact Details</h5>

    <form class="row g-3">

    <div class="col-md-4">

    <label for="exampleDataList" class="form-label">Datalist example</label>

    <input class="form-control" list="datalistOptions" id="exampleDataList" placeholder="Type to search...">

    <datalist id="inputSales-CxName">

    </datalist>

    ...

    ...

    ...

    <script>

    //JS Script Here

    </script>

    </body>

    </html>

    Please let me know if you guys need some more scripts or details. Any help will be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance!

    submitted by /u/Nervous-Ad555
    [link] [comments]

    VS 2019 unable to locate #include <vector> library (C++)

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 11:46 AM PST

    I am rather new to C++ and recently decided to help a grad student with his masters project in order to get some experience. He sent me his code which he can run on his system with no problem (Mac Laptop). However, when I downloaded my IDE on Windows (Visual Studio 2019) and went to run his code, a lot of the header files are not recognizing functions that are usually in the #include <vector> template in the STL. The header files have #include <vector> and when I look at the debugger codes, a suggested fix is to add #include <vector> which is odd because it is already in the code. My best guess is that VS2019 cannot find the <vector> template and I am unable to find a solution on how to approach this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/AbsolutelyN0thing
    [link] [comments]

    I'm in charge of monitoring a bunch of VB6 applications. Is there an established approach to monitor the internal state of a given application, assuming I can't modify that application?

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 11:24 AM PST

    I'm working in "DevOps" (in title only) at a large-ish company and do not have permission to modify the various applications at all. I've been looking into how to check the health of these applications without manually remoting into the servers they're running on.

    They're all GUI applications running in VB6, and bound to run into errors that often require clearing a dialog box showing the error message.

    Is there a way to navigate the UI for Windows Forms applications from a different application or script? I'm familiar with C# and PowerShell, so possible routes in those languages would be easiest to try out.

    submitted by /u/cheeseless
    [link] [comments]

    spot Instance question

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 07:23 AM PST

    Does anyone here use AWS spot instances? I have a cloud service layer I created, and it seems like my instances crash over night. I noticed one night (at 5am) that the spot requests were not filling.

    Does anyone use spot instances? Has anyone noticed that requests don't fill over night? Or, am I doing something wrong?

    Just curious

    submitted by /u/amasterblaster
    [link] [comments]

    Which book should I read first? (list in post)

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 10:38 AM PST

    I'm in my first year of university, I just started studying Java and I got really excited about programming in general so I looked up which books are considered must read and bought some book that caught my eyes.

    The book I bought are: 1. Code complete from Steve McConnell 2. Design Patterns from Gamma, Helm, Johnson and Vlissides 3. Software architecture in practice from Bass, Clements and Kazman

    I plan on reading all those books but I figured that maybe someone could suggest me an order that I will benefit more from.

    submitted by /u/TonyTech199secchio
    [link] [comments]

    Overcoming the competence deficit in microservices and other distributed systems design

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 01:37 AM PST

    I invented and implemented a piece of software which provides reliable strong consistency even over unreliable external networks. When I started out, I thought my problem would be that people wouldn't believe that my solution would work when I present it, so I prepared a lot of semi formal examples like a proof for isolation and atomicity and such.

    That turned out to be a non issue. What my problem is now, is that lead technologists don't even acknowledge that there's an inherent problem with consistency in distributed systems like microservices, so they're lukewarm to the idea of introducing another layer into their tech mix. Even if they do acknowledge the problem, they say that it's not really a problem. Often when I ask them why they didn't manage to stabilise their systems for years (which is a recurring theme) if that's not a problem, they come up with a number of excuses, saying that these problems are part of any sort of development, which is obviously not true, but I can't keep arguing the same point. Obviously I'm being overly blunt here to get my point across, we use a bit more tact when faced with people.

    Initially I put it down to a few bad apples, but this seems to be a systemic problem. Have you guys seen problems like this? If so, and if you did manage to overcome them, how?

    submitted by /u/andras_gerlits
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment