• Breaking News

    Sunday, March 14, 2021

    UE4 Tutorial: Importance of Virtual bones and how to retarget animations to a different proportion character. Male/female big or short fat or thin.. whatever your character is - they can share the same animations between them with the same results visually. Even in the first-person perspective!

    UE4 Tutorial: Importance of Virtual bones and how to retarget animations to a different proportion character. Male/female big or short fat or thin.. whatever your character is - they can share the same animations between them with the same results visually. Even in the first-person perspective!


    UE4 Tutorial: Importance of Virtual bones and how to retarget animations to a different proportion character. Male/female big or short fat or thin.. whatever your character is - they can share the same animations between them with the same results visually. Even in the first-person perspective!

    Posted: 14 Mar 2021 05:53 AM PDT

    A while ago, someone posted a thread about game design tricks; I compiled the best of them in a video!

    Posted: 14 Mar 2021 11:36 AM PDT

    Your life is a game. Why am I starting on Solo Dev adventure.

    Posted: 14 Mar 2021 10:12 AM PDT

    Will a degree in Computer Science teach me how to make games?

    Posted: 14 Mar 2021 03:50 AM PDT

    Sorry if the question is a bit stupid. Trying to figure out which course to take currently in High School.

    Game Development as a job doesn't really exist where I live so I am planning to take up Computer Science / Computer Engineering. Though I would really like to be able to make games

    submitted by /u/rowrowthrowaway11
    [link] [comments]

    Answering questions about getting into the games industry!

    Posted: 14 Mar 2021 11:19 AM PDT

    Hey! I've been in the games industry for 5 years and really enjoy talking to people who want to get into the industry and/or start making games, and helping where I can.

    So I've made a youtube channel where I can answer any and all questions about working in games, how to get into the industry, how to start making your own games - and any other game dev questions you can think of :)

    If you're interested please check out my videos here and feel free to submit any questions you have!

    submitted by /u/howtogamesindustry
    [link] [comments]

    Unity Multiplayer Card Game Explained | Mirror Networking (FREE Full Project in description)

    Posted: 14 Mar 2021 10:26 AM PDT

    Why are they so few UK-based game studios(that aren't subsidiaries/divisions)?

    Posted: 14 Mar 2021 12:32 PM PDT

    I'm sorry if this isn't the right place to be asking this question.

    I know a large majority of UK studios that were previously successful are now defunct but, do not think this is the only contributor.

    Does anyone know why they're so few?

    submitted by /u/Virtual_Sympathy_714
    [link] [comments]

    Talking about the Maze Generator Editor Tool I wrote for my game, and some tips about tools programming.

    Posted: 14 Mar 2021 11:19 AM PDT

    How to debug state machines?

    Posted: 14 Mar 2021 05:29 AM PDT

    Hi reddit!

    I am not sure if this is a super noob or a very complex question but I couldn't find anything which helps me using google.

    I have an AI in my game which is based on a state machine. The AI is rather complex (at least for my taste) as individual agents are in groups with other agents executing tasks but can also execute tasks on their own. This is where the complexity kicks in.

    I have it sorted out an I think it works now the way I did it - with a lot of states. Now I want to debug my diagram and I did so on paper with some Lego dudes. This worked and I could not find any issues or loop holes. However, I am not sure how much I trust myself here to not have overlooked something and therefore I'd love to have a tool where I can add my state machine(s) and walk through step-by-step using my agents and groups to find any possible problems. Basically a Tabletop Simulator for my AI. ^^

    Does something like this exist? As I said, I couldn't find anything which lets me step through, only draw. Thanks in advance! Any ideas are highly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/jogamedev
    [link] [comments]

    Are you in the same boat as me?

    Posted: 14 Mar 2021 01:30 PM PDT

    I've got almost a fully fleshed out storyline for a game. I've got some interesting concepts and mechanics I've got very little spare time I wish I was able to get a team to help me with my vision but have no means to fund them I struggle with art and code I have trust issues with people over the internet I'm a lone wolf who does everything the most difficult way possible I avoid my project and usually end up on Halo MCC I fantasize about my dream game on a daily basis I get annoyed and frustrated with myself because I know I don't help myself.

    And up until just now, I refuse to reach out to anyone to get some reassurance or encouragement in fear of giving away my amazing ideas and someone stealing them.

    Are you in the same boat as me or are you sailing nearby this doomed voyage?

    My main issues are I don't have enough spare time to learn blender to create 3d models. Any time I do have and actually go on to make something I waste trying to learn how to do different things/ use the software. I'm not an artist, I can draw engineered drawing son paper but can't make squat on computers I want a team to help me but I cant afford one I want my game fully made yesterday and lack patience even though I also plan on it taking me a decade solo to make.

    What are you issues? What do you think you need to improve on or accept defeat on?

    How does someone like us survive in this harsh environment called gamedev?

    I either don't make a damn thing and forever dream of the day it fiannly becomes a reality or I set myself realistic goals and stop beating myself up everytime I waste my free time to do something else.

    All I can say now is I know I'm not alone, if this applies to you, you aren't alone either. What can either of us do about this? I wish I had an answer but unfortunately all cases are unique and complex.

    I suppose this is the challenge of gamedev as a whole. It's one massive mental hurdle after the other, you can sit down beside it as long as you want but the only way forward is to jump over it and that's that. If you can't get over that hurdle you can't make your vision a reality.

    It sucks but that's just how it seems to be. Only the lucky few are able to work together in a team and only the very lucky get to work for a company to collectively make a really good game.

    Just know this, you're not struggling alone. Let's struggle together because I'm not giving up on my dream game nor should you. Just take it one code at a time. One vertice at a time, one tear at a time. And hopefully one day there'll be enough to show to someone to get that all important team help to get it made much more quickly.

    I'm a stained mug that really needs a wash, thanks for reading. Feel free to vent and dicuss your frustrations with gamedev. I'll be busy playing HaloMCC muliplayet wishing I was a member of the team that created this mastery of gameplay and world building.

    submitted by /u/StainedMugz
    [link] [comments]

    How would I implement a stair-climbing mechanic?

    Posted: 14 Mar 2021 12:47 PM PDT

    So I've been developing a game recently, for the sake of the post imagine terraria, a 2D side-on game. The player is four blocks tall.

    I've allowed them to jump over 2 blocks, but obviously you should be able to walk up a one-block gap such as a staircase, because if it acts as a wall the controls feel horrible. However, I'm not quite sure how to implement this. This is not necessarily an engine-specific question, just a logic one.

    The ways I've tried so far:

    • Simply auto-jump (way too high for walking up a staircase)
    • Add a huge velocity and increase gravity to walk up (a horrible solution, means you can't jump when walking on staircases)
    • Teleport the player 1 block higher and 1 block right/left (sort of works for one-block steps, but is way too fast for whole staircases)

    Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/1ZacNolan1
    [link] [comments]

    when rotate object, AABB is weird... Is This Works rightly??

    Posted: 14 Mar 2021 10:32 AM PDT

    How to Enable UI with the New Input System in Unity

    Posted: 14 Mar 2021 12:16 PM PDT

    The Top 5 Skills Every Game Designer Needs

    Posted: 14 Mar 2021 12:02 PM PDT

    Where would I go to actually understand what each word or code line does in game development?

    Posted: 14 Mar 2021 10:12 AM PDT

    I've had some education in game programming and development. They teach that "when you wanna do this, do this code", and this will generally work. It also tends to be how everyone teaches game design. But I would really like to be able to look at a word in code and know what it does on its own, instead of looking up every unity3d method and breaking out a dictionary.

    submitted by /u/HelmetHeadBlue
    [link] [comments]

    Should I learn C++?

    Posted: 14 Mar 2021 09:58 AM PDT

    Hi. I'm 14 years old and have learned C# in Unity for about 2 years and have a decent amount of knowledge about it.

    My question is, should I learn C++? I really like making games and i want to maybe join a studio in the future. Most of the big games is in C++ and that's why I'm thinking of learning it.

    submitted by /u/Liiiaas
    [link] [comments]

    One of the most educative devlog I have seen

    Posted: 14 Mar 2021 09:57 AM PDT

    What to do with unfinished prototypes

    Posted: 14 Mar 2021 01:13 PM PDT

    Over the years I accumulated several unfinished prototypes which are now sitting on a backup disk.

    But now I'm thinking it might be better to just publish them free as they are and, although unfinished and broken, might be fun to someone. (I'm using itch.io which has a category for prototypes).

    What do you usually do with your abandoned prototypes?

    submitted by /u/xrm0
    [link] [comments]

    Game localization resources?

    Posted: 14 Mar 2021 06:51 AM PDT

    I'm curious if there's a site or resource with common game terms translated accurately into a wide variety of languages? Things like "New Game", "Settings", etc, which nearly all games need. Obviously Google translate could do a decent job but it could be helpful to have the work done already, in a csv or json ready to go.

    submitted by /u/Squidreece
    [link] [comments]

    Noob asks: Dashing

    Posted: 14 Mar 2021 11:20 AM PDT

    Hey dudes, currently I'm trying to make a dash move with this:

    if (Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.L))

    {

    playerRB2D.velocity = Vector2.right*dashForce;

    Debug.Log("dashed?");

    }

    The Debug.Log confirms that the key is being pressed, yet my character only dashes like 1 out of 4 times of key pressing.

    submitted by /u/azngrimm
    [link] [comments]

    RPG Maker or learning Unity?

    Posted: 14 Mar 2021 05:56 AM PDT

    Hello!

    I'm sure a similar question has been asked before, but maybe someone can still help me (in my situation).

    I would like to start a personal project (RPG-like, simple 2D sprites) but I'm unsure if I should go with RPG Maker or go for Unity and C# right away. My plans aren't overly complicated, however, learning Unity might be more beneficial in the future. I have no time constraints, this would be simply a hobby on the side.

    RPG Maker seems to be simple enough to get started with, but I'm worried it might have too many constraints in the long run and I don't really like the visual presentation of the games made with it.

    (I studied game design and Concept Art, and work professionally as a Concept Artist and Illustrator. I worked on a number of projects on the side (as a designer/artist), so visual asset creation and gameplay is the least of my worries. I have never programmed anything in my whole life, though.)

    submitted by /u/Blaubeerchen27
    [link] [comments]

    Hi, what is the best 3D game engine with a scripting method similar to that of gdevelop?

    Posted: 14 Mar 2021 12:59 PM PDT

    Hi, what is the best 3D game engine with a scripting method similar to that of gdevelop?

    submitted by /u/markcopperman78
    [link] [comments]

    Are there usually any breaks given when licensing well known songs for a free game?

    Posted: 13 Mar 2021 11:26 PM PST

    I don't have a lot of money to spend on my game, but I hear big name music licenses usually go for thousands of dollars, so I was wondering if my game being free would make any difference in licensing costs.

    For example, I was thinking of licensing "Something Happened on the Way to Heaven" by Phil Collins for a build engine game that would be completely free.

    Maybe it's naive of me to expect a break for this, but if reduced prices for licensing songs like this for free projects is something that is actually common, that would be awesome.

    Thanks in advance for any information regarding my "issue". (I don't have my heart absolutely set on using big name songs in my project. I'm just doing some scouting for whether that's a feasible option.)

    submitted by /u/Vince_the_Animator
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment