• Breaking News

    Monday, March 15, 2021

    SO. MUCH. PHP. (and WP) web developers

    SO. MUCH. PHP. (and WP) web developers


    SO. MUCH. PHP. (and WP)

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 02:15 AM PDT

    I'm on the lookout for my first job and I've focused on learning React, and use mainly Django as a backend framework when I need one. Maybe Flask or Express when I just need an API, though I find that a lot of the time I need to interact with a database and Django is great for that.

    Now I get that Django and Laravel, as far as I can see, are more similar than different. But man is static generation still absolutely prevalent in the job market, and by that I mean php, with or without Laravel. And JQuery is in about 30% of job requirements as well. JS frameworks seem to be an afterthought in many places. (edit: as opposed to JQuery, not PHP. They're obiously different categories.)

    Like, really? So many hours spent mastering React, learning about Next and how to solve SEO in single page applications, only to barely be able to find an entry level position because just about everyone still uses PHP and statically generated HTML?

    Only one company that I applied to, and it was founded like a few months ago, went so far as to adopt JavaScript as the default fullstack language in their team.

    Do people not like how reactive SPAs are? Or is my country just behind in terms of adoption of these technologies?

    And then there's WordPress. Not as a CMS, but as the default way to present the application. And that I have sub-zero experience with. Should I learn it? I'm afraid the minute I become proficient with it everyone's gonna realise you can do so much more by doing things yourself.

    Well thanks for reading my rant, if you got this far. Do you think PHP is worth investing time into btw?

    Edit:

    Since this is getting a but more traction than I initially expected, let me answer / comment on a few of the points many of you raise.

    - "You did no research on the job market before getting to learning". You are 1 billion percent correct. I did not start developing with getting a job in mind, it was just a hobby. However I got so into it that I was investing 95% of my free time into learning and developing. I was working on stuff that I was curious about, and that logically tended to be new things, like React and Next, with Django on the server side since Python was my first language, Firebase after that. So getting a job with these things was never really my intention. But in walk Covid, I wasn't able to start my master's and here I am, trying to do something with myself.

    - "Where are you applying?" - Northern Italy.

    - "Backed generation is here to stay and should stay, and that's synonimous with PHP" - Yeah that may be true and fine, but also it was not my point, though I did not convey that very well. As others say, React/Angular jobs abund in their area. I was frustrated that their representation in my area is THAT low.

    - "That's not statically generated" - Wrong words hopefully understandable idea of what I was trying to say.

    Edit 2: (on the same line as before)

    -"You're too harsh on PHP, it definitely has its place and you should not denigrate it" - That is true as well. In my defense, I wrote this post impulsively and you never know what will get traction on reddit. I was expecting this post to be lost in the ether so I didn't word my feelings carefully. What I will add to this is that I am not saying PHP is horrible and it should cease to exist. Far from it. I am also not at all opposed to server-side frameworks being recognised as just-as-useful as frontend technology. I myself enjoy writing backends in Python and C#. What I was trying to say is that I feel like there should less of PHP in my area and more of other things. That's all. As it stands, 80% (rough estimante, but over 50% for sure) of webdev positions are about Laravel. I would be fine with 25-30%.

    -"You're just lazy and unwilling to learn" - Though nobody wrote this yet, I'll get ahead of this one. I covered some of this when I said I'm mainly driven by my own curiosity rather than the job market. So naturally I don't have much of a leg to stand on when complaining about the job market. I do however still feel that lamenting a stale situtaion is justified. And also I've been learning Laravel for about a month, I'm just not comfortable enough with it as I am with say Django, and certainly not enough that I can compete with people that have it as their primary backend framework.

    submitted by /u/RandomGoodGuy2
    [link] [comments]

    What's bad about PHP?

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 08:58 AM PDT

    I use php. It is my favorite language for SSS (Server Side Scripting), but I hear a bunch of people saying its bad. Why is it bad?

    submitted by /u/HaveAGreatDay1234
    [link] [comments]

    Get the most played tracks of your region, powered by Spotify Charts.

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 10:07 AM PDT

    Microservices in 4 minutes - Basic Overview and Introduction to Microservices

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 07:10 AM PDT

    Made a quick introduction video for microservices, kind of an 80/20 rule type video covering the pros/cons and general idea behind them and kind of dip your toes into the subject.

    https://youtu.be/l4tQ66mDfxU

    Pros(in theory)

    • Faster development time - Teams can make their own decisions and for the most part don't need to coordinate new deployments with other teams
    • Easier to onboard new hires - New engineers don't need to learn the entire application before contributing, they can start off working on a single microservice
    • Scaling- Microservices can be scaled independently depending on traffic demands. Don't have to scale the entire monolith if a single chokepoint is slowing down the app
    • Reliability - Because microservices are separated from each other, if a bug is deployed it can be isolated and rolled back without taking down other services

    Cons

    • Complexity - A poorly designed microservice architecture can end up being worse than the average monolith
    • Communication between microservices - Entire new set of problems created by the fact that microservices are broken up, they need some standard way of communicating with each other

    Should always be noted that you shouldn't feel pressured to use this stuff, probably 95% or more of companies and apps don't need microservices. This style was created by massive companies to handle problems that manifested at their huge scale, for most startups it's just overkill

    some solid resources to get started learning more in-depth if you want to go beyond the basics

    submitted by /u/renaissancetroll
    [link] [comments]

    I'm done with web dev tutorials

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 01:59 PM PDT

    I'm really done with having to look to a bunch of different tutorials, video or blog post format, whenever I want to learn something about css or react, It feels like a waste of time. I would love to have just one source of truth, be it a paid book, or a magnificient blog, but having to pop in to a bunch of blogs with different content, different styles is really frustating.

    Do you feel the same or am I just whining?

    submitted by /u/ianivhojman
    [link] [comments]

    I just don't get webpack, it's miserable, what should I do?

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 07:24 AM PDT

    I don't understand the magic it does, and if I mess up I have to rely on git reset --hard to fix things for me. Learnt it for the Odin Project but it's just too hard and I waste a lot of time on it.

    submitted by /u/frizsv
    [link] [comments]

    How would you price this project?

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 08:25 AM PDT

    Hi!

    I am about to have my biggest contract ever and I need your help on a sensitive point. I always had difficulty giving a good price for my work and it's even worse on big contracts like that. I became way better with time. I will describe the project a bit and I would be grateful if you could tell me what price you would give.

    Basically, it's a online learning platform for finances institutions. Think like big banks in my country. Mind fucking blowing. The banks buy the access off site, their employees follow the formations and they have a little test at the end. The users can follow the list of courses they followed. It's all custom.

    So, I have to:

    - build a custom user/signup platform

    - build a custom test (true/false mostly) generator

    - build the whole visual (homepage, exam page, video page, etc.)

    - build the backend to store videos, put new videos, manage users, etc.

    I had in mind 3500$. A local group told me to bring that up to like 35 000$ and it's seems sooooo big.

    I was looking for Reddit's answer: how much would you price a project like that?

    submitted by /u/TheFlameflo
    [link] [comments]

    It wasn't imposter syndrome... Where do I go from here?

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 01:05 PM PDT

    Hey All,

    I'm in a program that is half design with Adobe Creative Suite, half web development languages. I'm on my final term and one of my classes that teaches PHP/MySQL has really ramped up the intensity (for me anyway). My last assignment for the class requires me to meet 4 criteria within a admin/user creation scenario, they are:

    • Allow user to login and edit their account. [this portion is done in the class build]

    • When new user logs in for the first time they are sent to edit their account, skipping the admin page. After new user edits their account and logs out and logs in they are sent to the admin page

    • Users with admin access can edit other users' accounts, while normal users can only edit their own account.

    • New user has a time limit to log in after their account has been created. If they do not login before the time expires their account is suspended.

    I need to research each of them. The problem is, that everything I look at may as well be gibberish. Every bit of documentation I look up loses me after the third sentence. I don't understand the flow of PHP, I don't understand how to debug it, and I can't figure out how to implement anything successfully. Everything I try doesn't work and ends up hitting brick walls of errors. When I follow the coding routes, I keep getting lost. It makes me miss working with JS something fierce.

    I got good grades and managed to pass the first portion of this course, but I kept telling myself that I didn't understand the foundations of PHP and how it interacts with MySQL well enough. Everyone kept telling me that it was just imposter syndrome and to just keep doing what I'm doing, but as I try to complete this assignment, I finally just admit to myself that I just don't understand what I'm doing. As if I spent the entire term and all that was taught was in one ear and out the other. And as I stare into the void that is my class build, I'm lost. Unfortunately my prof is mostly unavailable, so I'm kind of left to my own devices.

    Anyone have any insight into how I can get myself on track and better understand what is going on with PHP and how it interacts with MySQL? Any tutorial recommendations on creating and/or updating MySQL tables via PHP? I don't know, maybe this is more of a rant than anything. Thanks for reading regardless!

    submitted by /u/Dev-Jam
    [link] [comments]

    Headless CMS: possible alternatives to Flotiq?

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 01:05 PM PDT

    Hi everyone, I have recently started to take a look to some headless CMS to integrate in a simple frontend I'm building with a friend.

    The reason for the headless CMS is to have less work to do on the back-end side and, if possible, just go completely serverless and stay within the free tier of the service, so that the hosting costs will be virtually zero.

    The website is for a local sport community and it's not supposed to receive too many visits, so I'm quite confident i should be able to survive with the free tier, without interruptions.

    So far, the best I've found is Flotiq. It adheres to open api structure, so I was able to use the openapi-generator CLI to generate a little framework to query my contents from Flotiq. Not flawless, but very straightforward. Other good part is that its back-office seems very friendly to an editor that needs to write complex blog posts and doesn't want to be bothered with too much technicalities, which is what I needed for the final user.

    So far so good, but... I cannot find much info about Flotiq on reddit or other forums, and this strikes me as a warning.

    Maybe there's something better out there that I'm not aware of? Do you have any experience in this area?

    Also, I'm thinking about some other service that can provide serverless authentication. If there was an alternative headless CMS that also handles that, I'd strongly consider it.

    Thank you for any info! :)

    submitted by /u/Eux86
    [link] [comments]

    Git is my buddy: Effective Git as a solo developer

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 04:11 AM PDT

    Does it make sense to store a JWT in a cookie ?

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 01:02 PM PDT

    I've seen some people storing JWT authentication tokens in cookies because they say it is safer as it makes the JWT immune to XSS attacks (cookies where paired with CSRF protection).
    I feel it does not make sense to keep a JWT in a cookie because it would defeat the usability of JWT-enabled APIs from clients other than the browser and, to me, it looks like you are using the usual cookie-based authentication with extra steps.
    What is the consensus (if there is one) on JWTs in cookies ? Does it make sense to store JWTs in cookies ?

    submitted by /u/Yogortot
    [link] [comments]

    Gitea - A self-hosted Git service.

    Posted: 14 Mar 2021 09:08 PM PDT

    A table with both a sticky header and a sticky first column

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 07:10 AM PDT

    How long does it take to set up docker containers usually? (ballpark figure/approximate range)

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 10:45 AM PDT

    We're working on an app that allows to set up dev environments within docker containers in less than 10 minutes and we'd like to compare with the manual setup process/alternative solutions.

    When you opt to dockerize a project, what type of project do you dockerize and how long does it take you to do so?

    submitted by /u/nabrocs
    [link] [comments]

    Just published my first front-end library - Simate : A (sim)ple st(ate) management tool

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 04:15 AM PDT

    I created Simate over the last few days. It's a very (sim)ple st(ate) management tool. The main motivation behind creating this small tool is that this is my first front-end JavaScript library. I wanted to contribute something back to the amazing community of developers, especially web developers that have helped me over the past few months. Hope you guys give a look at the Repo's README. Thank you :D

    submitted by /u/heyshikhar
    [link] [comments]

    Github repositories for Web Development via twitter Pratham.

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 01:07 AM PDT

    Going to work on my first "scrollytelling" website for a client. Any tips you think I should know about?

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 10:10 AM PDT

    Hello!

    I am going to start working on a scrollytelling website this week for a client and so far everything looks super complicated. I was wondering if anybody can share anything that they wish they had known before they started working on something similar. Examples below for references to what a scrollytelling website is:

    http://spaceforce.design/

    https://canals-amsterdam.nl/

    submitted by /u/bbqgorilla
    [link] [comments]

    Thoughts/experiences with render.com?

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 06:06 AM PDT

    Kind of hard to search "render" in this sub so sorry if it's been talked about to death.

    I have a node/express server running on Heroku now, and a postgres database on AWS's RDS.

    Both cost a bit more than I'd like. I heard about Render on a podcast and the prices are hard to argue about. Does anyone have any issues with either of these services on Render? I'm thinking about switching over if no one has any complaints about it.

    submitted by /u/werdnaegni
    [link] [comments]

    Learning a new framework in 2021

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 02:48 AM PDT

    I've been a WordPress dev at a local company for almost 3 years, and I feel like it's about time to branch out in some way.

    I have been doing some research into using Headless WordPress, but I'm not 100% sure on how to get started with this, just wondering if the effort taken to learn this would be better spent learning how to use something like Laravel or one of the many JS libraries out there.

    Ideally I want to future proof my skills as much as I can, so something with a lot of scope to better myself would be perfect.

    If you think I should just stick to WP, let me know too!

    submitted by /u/Ellis-chan
    [link] [comments]

    Mitigate cross-site scripting (XSS) with a strict Content Security Policy (CSP)

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 03:32 PM PDT

    Not sure how to proceed in building an advanced visual ordering tool for my website

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 07:43 AM PDT

    While I have been dabbling in programming again lately, I haven't been into the web dev game since the days of Flash, so needless to say I've been out of the loop for a while and could use some guidance. I have a website where I am trying to sell a product, and I am having some issues with people using my rather basic text-based customization. I have it set up to where it both emails me and populates a table in my WordPress installation's database. The issue is, they are filling shit out without getting it and then I wind up having to clarify the entire order over the phone or messenger anyways. This could be solved with an interactive graphical interface for the custom order, which allows the user to see the results of the options they choose before they commit them to my database. Few questions:

    1) What is the SIMPLEST way to implement something like this?

    2) Would I need to learn PHP for the interface itself (not including the database update with the end-result) or can this be accomplished entirely by brushing up on javascript?

    3) If I decided I was in over my head, what's the best way to go about hiring a freelance developer and how much should I expect to pay for a project like this, assuming I was providing all the graphical assets and things like that

    submitted by /u/inf4nticide
    [link] [comments]

    What stacks are common in Melbourne Australia?

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 03:47 AM PDT

    Hi,

    I'm going to be moving to Melbourne from UK around next September.

    I'm currently a Typescript and PHP dev. Right now I'm using React with TS, Laravel for the backend (SQL) , with a small Nodejs TS API (GraphQL).

    This reflects my local norms, most places here (Bristol UK) seem to be using PHP and JS. There's also a fair bit of c#/.NET here.

    What are the norms in Melbourne? I'm keen to learn new skills if there is a prevalent stack used.

    Apologies if this is a silly question, I just want to direct my learning over the next year to suit the market I want to enter.

    submitted by /u/Chessboxin_Cyclops
    [link] [comments]

    Fancybox inline content can't have links?

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 11:13 AM PDT

    Hey everybody, I'm having (what is hopefully) a simple issue with fancybox3, and would appreciate any advice:

    I'm using fancybox to open an inline div on page load, basically as a simple popup. My inline div contains some external links that visitors need to be able to click, but something about fancybox is preventing those external links from clicking through.

    I can tell that the links are present by their hover states, but I have to right-click and choose "open in new tab" or something to get them to actually work.

    Here's a sample of my code:

    <script type="text/javascript">

    `$(document).ready(function() {` `$("#mp_launch").fancybox({` `touch : false,` `autoFocus : false` `}).trigger('click');` `});` 

    </script>

    And the inline content being opened:

    <div id="mp_launch" style="display: none;">

    `<div class="link belmont"><a href="`[`http://google.com/`](http://google.com/)`" target="_blank">Here's a link that should be clickable</a></div>` 

    </div>

    Anybody have any ideas? I've tried searching out this problem, but I just end up finding questions for much more complex issues.

    submitted by /u/fancyfrenchtoilet
    [link] [comments]

    I edited Sapper's service worker and I wonder if you guys think my changes are advisable or not

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 06:57 AM PDT

    Here's the code I made. And here's what I did in plain English:

    I edited the service worker such that it also caches (server side rendered) page routes. That's because I found that a new page load / refresh still took longer than I liked.

    Now when you first visit a page it is saved in the cache. Then when you refresh, the page is immediately loaded from the cache, which brings the load time from 500ms to 5ms. Meanwhile, in the background, the service worker is also trying to get fresh copy from the network which it then saves in the cache so that it can serve you that one the next time you refresh.

    This is comparable to a Cache-Control: max-age=1, stale-while-revalidate=9999999 header

    Now you might think, but what if the freshly fetched copy contains new information that I want to see immediately, and not after I refresh the page one more time? Well the service worker actually compares the freshly fetched page with the cached page and if they are not equal there are two possible ways it handles that situation.

    1. If the fresh copy contains new html then the service worker tells the browser to refresh one more time. This happens really fast, because the fresh copy was already saved in the cache, and so it can serve the page again in just a few milliseconds.
    2. If the fresh copy does not contain new html, but it does contain a difference in the injected __SAPPER__ variable, then the SW just passes the new __SAPPER__ variable to the browser. I have a component listening for this and it will handle this without a page refresh being needed. This happens most often, because I store my CSRF token in the sapper session which is injected through the __SAPPER__ variable.

    I think this all works fantastically. After the first page visit, every new page visit loads incredibly quickly. The worst case scenario that I can think of, is that if an admin changed the content of the page through the CMS that I made, and then a user visits the page, they may see the old content for about half a second before it refreshes to the new content.

    But I may be missing something. Maybe there's some reason why in a few edge cases this would lead to bad user experience. But I can't think of one.

    So that's why I'm writing this post. I'm wondering if you think this is a good idea. Or if you can think of a reason why this might be a bad idea?

    By the way, here's the demo, in case you're interested.

    submitted by /u/live_love_laugh
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment