• Breaking News

    Saturday, March 13, 2021

    Screenshot Saturday #528 - Hidden Wonders

    Screenshot Saturday #528 - Hidden Wonders


    Screenshot Saturday #528 - Hidden Wonders

    Posted: 12 Mar 2021 09:31 PM PST

    Share your progress since last time in a form of screenshots, animations and videos. Tell us all about your project and make us interested!

    The hashtag for Twitter is of course #screenshotsaturday.

    Note: Using url shorteners is discouraged as it may get you caught by Reddit's spam filter.


    Previous Screenshot Saturdays


    Bonus question: What game has your favorite lore/setting?

    submitted by /u/Sexual_Lettuce
    [link] [comments]

    Found a cool way to give life to objects without animating them, using a transparent distortion shader.

    Posted: 13 Mar 2021 04:17 AM PST

    I quit; and I'm very excited about it!

    Posted: 12 Mar 2021 09:38 PM PST

    It's been an interesting journey.

    In 2016 I decided to take up moonlighting as an indie game dev, primarily focused on VR. I worked on several mods back in the Quake/Half-Life days, and was initially amazed at how much of the basics were still the same - and how much things were easier.

    I started to dream about a career change, from web dev to game dev. Of course I know how terrible 90% of employers were, so maybe I could just run my own company? Maybe after a few solo games done at nights, it'd be viable to do this full time? Who knows, maybe one day I'll even bring others on and make a proper studio out of it?

    Flash forward 4 years, 3 cancelled games, and 1 released one (on 3 platforms!) and I've had it. I wanted stop for awhile, but I felt like I couldn't. I felt indebted to it. It didn't feel like a hobby anymore, it felt like a second job that I didn't like and was doing nothing but cost me money to run. I burnt out hard.

    So I quit. I'm done. Closed the LLC, set my game to free on the platforms its available on, and here I am writing a brief post-mortem.

    For the first time in awhile, I'm really excited. I have all this free time now that I can use for myself, instead of having this nagging feeling "I should be working on my game right now". Don't have to worry about marketing, making back my costs, tech support/helpdesk, engine updates, package updates, broken SteamVR SDK, broken Oculus SDK; none of that.

    Instead, I'm going back and actually playing the VR games that made me fall in love w/ VR in the first place. I bought No Man's Sky over a year ago and never got a chance to play it. I bought Fallout 4 VR after launch when it was on sale, and never got to play it. Now I can finally have time to go finish Breath of the Wild. Now I can finally see if they ever fixed Arkham Knight.

    Its just a huge weight off my shoulders.

    Maybe in awhile I might get back into things purely as a hobbyist - releasing some free garbage or maybe get into modding. But for now I'm just done.

    And I'm super happy about it.

    submitted by /u/DOOManiac
    [link] [comments]

    This is how I design levels in my shadow game (Also the importance of having custom editor tools in your indie project)

    Posted: 13 Mar 2021 05:36 AM PST

    A big concern in free-camera games is to make sure that the players see what they should. A Game Design solution that we found is the concept of Contextual Camera: smoothly force the camera in some places. In that scene, as the duckling gets closer, the player knows that an item is inside the well

    Posted: 13 Mar 2021 09:49 AM PST

    We've made a breakdown video (link in comments) about our painting system in Unity something similar to Splatoon. Hope this will be helpful and interesting for you!

    Posted: 13 Mar 2021 07:14 AM PST

    Publishing Steam page does not work

    Posted: 13 Mar 2021 10:39 AM PST

    Hi all!

    I am releasing my first game and just started working with the Steamworks environment. I have had some problems with it, but nothing that couldn't be solved. But right now I have a breaking problem. My page has been reviewed and approved. I have a "Publish as Coming soon" green button, but when pressed, nothing happens. I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem and knows how to fix it.

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/TheProvision
    [link] [comments]

    How do games like Don’t starve handle tree/plant spawns?

    Posted: 13 Mar 2021 10:06 AM PST

    Are they placed essentially bound to a tile (similar to Stardew, but with offset coordinates) or are they scattered nodes sitting on a tile background?

    I'm currently looking into Godot to make an isometric strategy game. I'm tempted to use rather large terrain tiles, with free standing resource nodes and buildings that aren't tethered to a specific tile in a Stardew type way.

    submitted by /u/jx962tw
    [link] [comments]

    I've been wanting to learn Python for a while, so I thought making a game would be a great way to get familiar with the language! (Video includes source files)

    Posted: 12 Mar 2021 06:56 PM PST

    Some Guidance on Asking For Help

    Posted: 13 Mar 2021 12:08 PM PST

    I want to talk about some tips I've used to get good responses when I'm asking other Indie Devs for help (I mostly use discord but occasionally reddit also).

    A quick disclaimer: Be sure to do at least a bit of your own research first. Especially if your question involves an error message or something easily searchable... don't be that guy.

    ************ USE GRAPHICS IN YOUR QUESTIONS ***********\*

    These can be gifs or screenshots--maybe even a short video. Something visual to use for an initial impression.

    I use ScreenToGif to make gifs and have found that when I post a question with a gif, I get much better responses.

    Just like thumbnails are important to drive YouTube traffic, a visual aid to your question (whether its a gif or screenshot) will draw attention of whoever is lurking on the channel or board where you're asking for help.

    Though I still have a lot to learn with Unity, I've found that as I've moved out of the very beginner stages in my journey... there aren't as many people who have the knowledge to help me with some of my more niche problems. Using visuals to make sure I'm getting maximum eyeballs when I take the time to write out a question has been SUPER helpful.

    ************ FORMAT YOUR TEXT FOR READABILITY ***********\*

    Even if you can't use visuals, that doesn't mean you can't draw people in to your question by making it easy to digest or process. How you FORMAT your question matters... and the easier it is to read, the more likely you are to get a helpful response.

    (I've provided a timestamped link of an example of this here in my YT video about this topic.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7QQqKGOYLw&t=114s

    ************ THOROUGHLY DESCRIBE YOUR PROBLEM, GIVE EXAMPLES AND SAY WHAT YOU'VE TRIED ALREADY ***********\*

    Give as much info as possible and always include context for what you're trying to accomplish. Also, if relevant, include what you've tried and what you think MIGHT be the problem.

    What is always important to remember is this: The person out there who will potentially help you is likely skimming--NOT thoroughly reading--whatever medium you posted questions to. So you want to draw them in with visuals and proper formatting and, once you have their attention, make it as easy as possible for them to help you.

    Many of you have experienced this, but when you put effort into the questions you post you'll get some amazing responses AND you'll avoid pissing off the other devs that are kind enough to provide help in the first place.

    (Another timestamped example link) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7QQqKGOYLw&t=172s

    Would love to hear others thoughts...

    submitted by /u/Jimmy_Lib
    [link] [comments]

    Great games come from re-inventing old ideas in new contexts - we don't need to be unique in every aspect of our design

    Posted: 12 Mar 2021 05:36 PM PST

    How do you manage comments like these "it's basically a ......... copy"

    Posted: 13 Mar 2021 08:41 AM PST

    I have been making games as a hobby and saw the huge spike in youtube activity about game development. When I make games, I make games that I would like to enjoy. And lately I have seen a number of games made by youtubers. I don't want to throw out names but for example: if I am doing a fast paced fight person shooter, I would get bombarded with comments telling "it's just a ....... copy" and so on and so forth.

    I'm not against originality but it's the type of games I like to create and enjoy. How does one manage with this amount of hatred "induced" by the growing youtubers out there. I don't hate the youtubers, but in a way, they are giving small hobbyist a very hard time.

    submitted by /u/invic100
    [link] [comments]

    Am I a fool or NOT blurred background look better?

    Posted: 13 Mar 2021 10:16 AM PST

    It was supposed to be blurred, but then I tried not blurred images and it seems better for me. What do you think?

    Imgur link

    submitted by /u/chervonyi_
    [link] [comments]

    Completelly free topdown tileset!!

    Posted: 13 Mar 2021 03:02 AM PST

    Searching for notes on game design shared on google docs.

    Posted: 13 Mar 2021 09:37 AM PST

    Hi.

    A couple of years ago I saw an amazing several hundreds page google doc with notes from some senior game designer where he wrote down things he learned during work. It was tips and tricks on how to design an engaging game with examples like "how to build a fun linear road for player and hide linearity" and things like that.

    It was shared publicly by the author on Twitter via google docs. I saved the document on the account I've now lost and can't find it on Twitter or querying google.

    I'd really appreciate if somebody could point me to this document.

    submitted by /u/Dramakun
    [link] [comments]

    Good Project Management Certifications for Producers?

    Posted: 13 Mar 2021 08:48 AM PST

    Hello,

    I'm a young video game Producer (1 year of experience) interested in some good certifications that are useful and can be seen valuable from future employers in this industry.

    Right now the most valuable seems to me the PMI-ACP (I'm not so sure though, I see conflicting opinions about it) and the PMP (the gold standard in Project Management outside video games) certifications but I usually see very few experienced producers that have them or at least suggest them.

    I'm not interested into smaller certification like Scrum master, Product Owner etc... or all the others that only requires a 10h of study.

    submitted by /u/WorkingWafer1653
    [link] [comments]

    Feedback please? I've got an idea for a game, tell me if it's awful lol

    Posted: 13 Mar 2021 12:31 PM PST

    Soooooo. I have an idea for a game... Maybe. My main character is driving w/ his daughter (around 4-7 yrs old) during a super icy storm on a highway. The car swerves into a tree, and it's crushed and sucked into the ground. The main character wakes up, without his daughter, and he's in a VERY different landscape. There's a ceiling hundreds of feet above him, but it looks like it's compacted soil, and there are roots everywhere (giving the impression that he's still underground.) There's no sun, but everything is still fairly visible, and the ground is beautiful, rolling hills tall colorful trees, and the grass is a gorgeous blood red. Anyway, the main character has to move through this land to find his daughter. He meets a few different people along the way, some say that they're for sure real, while others assure him everything here is his imagination, so you can't be sure. After a series of quests, he finds that while also trying to find his daughter, he has to destroy this world, or everything in it will start seeping out into his. Lo and behold, he finds his daughter, and he blows up the world I suppose? Everything goes to white, and then you see that same car that was crushed, driving, and completely working, and then you see the main character and his daughter drive past that same tree, with no crash, and no "fantasy land" or any recollection of it. This story is still in its extremely early stages, and I would appreciate any and all feedback. Let me know if I need to just scrap the whole story, what I need to tweak, etc. Have a nice day!

    submitted by /u/PointlessFlips
    [link] [comments]

    Love girl

    Posted: 13 Mar 2021 12:31 PM PST

    love. Girl love boy

    submitted by /u/kataleua
    [link] [comments]

    Hell. Loops

    Posted: 13 Mar 2021 11:57 AM PST

    Hey! Started a new ainimation collection called Loops. Each piece will be different theme. I'll sell it as NFTs also it will be published as a game later. A piece of hell for all of you to enjoy! I'm leaving my insta and twitter in comments.

    https://reddit.com/link/m4dz5q/video/d20svxy6pum61/player

    submitted by /u/miciusmc
    [link] [comments]

    A video about creating a singleplayer game with two characters in a week!

    Posted: 13 Mar 2021 11:43 AM PST

    Any good tutorials, books, etc on this topic?

    Posted: 13 Mar 2021 04:00 AM PST

    So I've been making pixel art sprites for my project and today I found they looked blurry on unity, while they looked nice with defined pixels on the GIMP editor. I realiced I don't know anything about resolutions, camera sizes, pixels, and all that sort of stuff. I wanted to ask if you guys knew any good tutorials, books, or videos on this topic.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/CuckBuster33
    [link] [comments]

    Programming advanced games using c# in Unity

    Posted: 13 Mar 2021 11:31 AM PST

    Excuse my ignorance. I was surprised to hear that Unity uses c#. As far as I know c# is a high level language. However, a low level language such as C, C++ is required for an advanced 3d game or softwares.

    Is there a downside to using c# at this point?

    Can you explain this dilemma to beginner like me?

    submitted by /u/birisix
    [link] [comments]

    Software for converting 3D animations into 2D sprite sheets

    Posted: 13 Mar 2021 07:38 AM PST

    Well, this has been aggravating. I've been looking for software that does this, and it seems that there are a few that have been made, but seem to be no longer available. One is Sprite Forge, one is SpriteMe, and another is EnvyGames' SpriteWorks. For all three of these, the websites no longer exists, or the links are broken, and I've looked and looked for old copies but can't find anything.

    There actually is one that is currently available from github called Pixelartor, but it apparently is broken and will not export the sprite images. Does anyone know of existing software that does this. I know you can do it with Blender (and probably other 3D programs), but it's a rather long process, and I'd prefer a program that specifically is made for that.

    Or, if anyone knows how to obtain the aforementioned programs, that would be helpful too.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/LaaadeBack
    [link] [comments]

    (Indie)devs - How do you go about digital wellbeing?

    Posted: 13 Mar 2021 11:07 AM PST

    This question is mainly targeted towards single/small indie teams. So how do you manage distractions and maintain a healthy balance between gamedev stuff and your daily routines/hobbies/family etc.?

    submitted by /u/PurpleWingGames
    [link] [comments]

    AI for a Sumo Clash type of game?

    Posted: 13 Mar 2021 10:52 AM PST

    So I am trying to figure out which type of AI would be suitable for a game like the minivans "Sumo clash" from Fusion Frenzy 2. https://youtu.be/RIEG_3ytVlc

    I can do basic FSM and Behaviour tree (mostly done NPC AI before) but don't see how they can be applicable here. Any pointers in the right dir

    submitted by /u/Todilo
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment