• Breaking News

    Saturday, March 6, 2021

    Screenshot Saturday #527 - Exclusive Look

    Screenshot Saturday #527 - Exclusive Look


    Screenshot Saturday #527 - Exclusive Look

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 10:54 PM PST

    Share your progress since last time in a form of screenshots, animations and videos. Tell us all about your project and make us interested!

    The hashtag for Twitter is of course #screenshotsaturday.

    Note: Using url shorteners is discouraged as it may get you caught by Reddit's spam filter.


    Previous Screenshot Saturdays


    Bonus question: Have you spent more time playing single player games or multiplayer games this month?

    submitted by /u/Sexual_Lettuce
    [link] [comments]

    I got a few people asking how I did the logic for my homing rocket projectiles, so I added the code in the comments below. Happy shooting!

    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 06:20 AM PST

    How to Find a Voice Actor on An Indie Game Budget

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 05:34 PM PST

    I'm currently working on my very own indie game where I had to find 4 voice actors. I've heard a bit about Fiverr but did not have any previous knowledge on how to actually hire and direct talent. Fiverr is where I started my journey and I came to believe that Fiverr is actually a decent place to start looking for people.

    If you are working on a cutscene and need to work on the pacing and mood of your scene, you can hire somebody for 5$-$10 to read around 100 words. You won't be able to use the recordings in the game though as licensing is not included and usually an extra $40 in that price range.

    Having a real person read your lines helps you tremendously to further determine what you want and don't want from a voice actor. I found 2 of the 4 final voice actors in my game on Fiverr. It's really a random hit or miss on this platform as the ratings and price do not really reflect the quality you can expect. I had people for $50-$100 sound bored and asleep while people for $20 really sold their lines. I am hesitant to give out bad ratings on Fiverr as I don't want to be responsible for ruining somebody's livelihood or even burn an industry contact - we all have a bad day after all. I believe many of my game development colleagues feel the same. The selection of voice actors is a little bit limited. I looked for an English-speaking voice actor with a Latin American accent for my character Pablo Escobeer and I did not find a lot of options.

    The thevoicerealm.com is another website I checked out to find a quality voice actor for my game. The selection of voice actors seems bigger. You can submit your lines on the website along with some direction and a couple of voice actor will read your lines for free. The quality of voice actors varied a bit with some of them being truly amazing. That talent comes with a price. The license for using that voice in a video game is $115 for 100 words. This sounds like a good deal, until you realize that this does not even allow you the creation of a YouTube video featuring your gameplay footage. That license is $200, which feels like quite a lot for an indie game budget. The restrictive licensing and the forced indirect communication with the talent caused me to refrain from hiring somebody from thevoicerealm.com.

    Another option I can highly recommend is social media. I found a really talented voice actor here on Reddit and another one over at Twitter with the handle @VACastingRT. Tweet your voice acting requirements mentioning @VACastingRT and find your inbox full of voice actors wanting to audition. The price ranges here from $20 - $250 as you encounter voice acting enthusiasts and seasoned professionals.

    I found working with voice actors to be really fun. Just be friendly and communicate your expectations clearly. Don't leave them on read if you have trouble deciding which one to hire or if you have already decided to hire somebody else. There is always another project and another opportunity to work together, so be as respectful as you can be.

    Quick shoutout to @lalaboowelsh, @Isaakwells, @TonyrayVA and @StevenPFortune for helping me with their amazing voices!

    The game is Run For Cover (http://schifty.de)

    submitted by /u/Schifty
    [link] [comments]

    How Normal Mapping Works

    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 11:33 AM PST

    Any good books about Game Art that takes into account the Game Design?

    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 07:19 AM PST

    Hey everyone :) currently looking for Game Art books that put an emphasis on game design. What I mean by that is: All the books/Articles talking about game Art I have found until now concentrate mainly on the art aspect (shapes, color etc etc) but I would like to find something that also talks about how the visual design of the character must fit in the limitations dictated by the Design of the game.... example of a oversimplified thought process to illustrate what I mean: I want a horror game, this game will be played in the dark and I want an enemy that can hide in the darkness. Artist will create a character that is thin or small and in the dark color spectrum so it can easily hide in dark corners. Somebody knows any books/articles/whatever tackling this theme? Thanks in advance :)

    submitted by /u/Iamasadlittlething
    [link] [comments]

    Low-Level Optimizations in The Last of Us Part II by Parikshit Saraswat || SIGGRAPH 2020

    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 11:09 AM PST

    About developing prototypes

    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 10:18 AM PST

    Hi! I'm a solo game developer that knows some programming languages (GML, C#), engines (Game Maker, Construct 3, Unity) and art (Asesprite, Photoshop). However I'm struggling to being productive because I don't have time or the stamina to dedicate two-three months in projects at this moment, but I really want to pratice my skills.

    Creating prototypes of some game ideas/code snippets is a good idea for me to maintain my skills while I can use them for a portfolio and using in game jams? I wish I could build a game design portfolio, but I don't know if this is a good way to start.

    submitted by /u/Haruwolf
    [link] [comments]

    Unity: In games like slay the spire, which approach is better for changing levels/scenes?

    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 09:33 AM PST

    Hi! I am currently developing a feature for changing levels in my game. The level layout in the game is mostly the same with the same menu overlays (health, etc) and the camera is fixed just like in the game Slay the Spire.

    Much alike Slay the Spire, the difference between levels in my game would only be information in the level in which there are:

    1. enemies to spawn
    2. and the background image of the level.

    In this case, which approach is better used to change the levels/scenes when say, the enemies are all dead and the player moves to the next level? For now I'm thinking that I can just:

    1. Add all the level data in a 'Levels' list of sorts. Each level data contains (1) the enemies data to spawn & (2) the said background image. The level data will be a scriptable object so I can pre-make levels, each with its own enemies data and background image.
    2. Player starts game, the manager loads a random level data taken from the 'Levels' list.
    3. When the player finishes the level, call a function to 'reset' the scene, destroy unused objects, and saves any player related changes, like health, to carry over to the next level.
    4. Load the next level data in the 'Levels' list, manager populates scene again.
    5. Player plays the level again, and repeat all the above.

    Now my question is if there is a better approach to all this? For one thing, I have heard a lot about using multiple scenes to avoid huge memory consumption but I'm not sure how to use multiple scenes in this case.

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/kadoken
    [link] [comments]

    How do I make materials look good with just albedo, normal and specular map?

    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 11:56 AM PST

    Hi there, I am currently trying to find a job in the industry and my test assignment is to create an object, which I did, but then uv map it on one texture and they require just albedo, normal and specular map, which is making my objects look really flat and like metals are not looking good and so on. My question is: Am I missing something here? I am not that experienced when it regards the UV mapping and I understand the most parts of how UV mapping on one texture works and stuff, I am just afraid, that I am missing some part of workflow or something, that would bring me a better results quicker? I don't know, thanks.

    submitted by /u/NightFury5
    [link] [comments]

    Wanted to share with you guys a short video of our advanced draw gesture recognition we made in vr, Terragon: Symbol Of Magic :)

    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 11:35 AM PST

    What was your first mind-blowing idea and why was it worthless?

    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 11:32 AM PST

    The question of "how do I protect my ideas" or "how do I get people to make this awesome concept I have" pops up here all the time.

    Thinking back to your early days, what are ideas that you thought were awesome, but these days if someone posted it in the classifieds you wouldn't look twice at it?

    submitted by /u/COG_Employee_No2
    [link] [comments]

    Average salaries for gameplay programmers (C++, UE4, remote)

    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 11:28 AM PST

    Hey guys, could you help me to find average salary for gameplay programmers?

    I'm interested in C++ UE4 gameplay programmer position, remote work.

    But I have no idea what best salary can I ask for such kind of work.

    Where can I find any trustful statistics?

    submitted by /u/Fat_Ambassador_Kurwa
    [link] [comments]

    Here's a completely free topdown forest tileset for you working on an RPG or other game that's from this view!

    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 11:17 AM PST

    Advice on tool to create dialogue trees

    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 11:08 AM PST

    I have been building a small tool to create dialogue trees and I am wondering if anyone has any advice on the way I'm creating things. At the moment it saves to json and I hope to be able to use it to make text based games in the future.

    git releace

    submitted by /u/whatisgoingon1_
    [link] [comments]

    Improved Attacking | Unreal Engine Action RPG Tutorial Series

    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 11:07 AM PST

    How to stay motivated?

    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 11:03 AM PST

    Ik ik, didn't take long to ask for more help haha.

    I'm a sort of new person to Unity, and lately I've been struggling to make myself try to learn more. I want to make my own games in Unity, but idk enough to make my own games and i don't want to just use other people's code to make my own game. I want to learn how to program and that stuff and then make my own stuff. I'm not the quitting type but I'm usually only spending one hour a day with tutorials and learning and i usually want/try to do more but I'm not motivated enough to do it. Sometimes I get time to program in the evening but I can't make myself do it.

    Does anyone have any ways that keep them motivated to learn that they could tell me?

    submitted by /u/SpiritualMention608
    [link] [comments]

    What tech stack is needed to create this type of game??

    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 10:52 AM PST

    How are these features of cutting an object(2D or 3D) is implemented in this game(Cut and Paint)?? Any resources would be helpful.

    https://www.reddit.com/r/androiddev/comments/lz7nbo/what_tech_stack_is_needed_to_create_this_type_of/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

    submitted by /u/xozov
    [link] [comments]

    What's a good genre to choose for a 1 man team

    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 10:13 AM PST

    I have experience creating games in unity for android but I want to now make a game and publish it to computer & Nintendo switch but I just can't think of any type of games. I have scrolled through other games but they don't give me ideas, what's a good genre to make if your just a 1 man team?

    submitted by /u/DarthHead43
    [link] [comments]

    A quick review of KenShape - Kenney's new asset tool that generates 3D models from pixel art!

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 04:48 PM PST

    Unity Combat Game Dev - Rigidbody or CharacterController?

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 07:15 PM PST

    Been studying game dev for about 2 months now, and I'm really inspired by titles like Absolver, Super Smash Bros, and For Honor. I'm gonna play around with constructing combat systems in Unity--so far I've explored making playable characters with Rigidbody and CharacterController. It seems like CharacterController would be great for a game where you don't need much physics for player-to-world interaction, while Rigidbody seems to be what would give a game that extra getting-knocked-around-from-an-unending-barrage-of-attacks type feel. I really don't know. What are your takes?

    submitted by /u/King_Leviathan
    [link] [comments]

    What are the hardest parts of building a multiplayer game?

    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 03:22 AM PST

    Have you successfully launched a multiplayer game? Tell us about it, what was the hardest part of that process?

    Attempted but didn't complete a multiplayer project? What did you get stuck on?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Jaxkr
    [link] [comments]

    When should you release a teaser or trailer for your game?

    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 06:53 AM PST

    I'm planning on making a game and releasing it either by Christmas or by January. I've already got the storyline down for the first five chapters (I'm gonna be a dick and leave it on a cliff hanger for who knows how long). I don't have the sprites yet, but I've been looking online how to make a game on unity for over 4 months. I think I know what I'm doing, but if I don't I'll just come back here. I won't release the name here, because there's stuff on this account I don't want the outside world knowing. It's nothing illegal, it's more mental health wise.

    I've seen that sometimes game devs release trailers like a year before or even a few years before it comes out, but that's usually because they couldn't finish the game/something came up. I've also seen with movies that teasers come up when they're still filming and/or editing the scenes. I know the difference between teasers and trailers, but I just wanna know when to release mine.

    submitted by /u/uwu_vince_uwu
    [link] [comments]

    How to protect an idea?

    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 06:48 AM PST

    Hello, as many people i have an idea for a game, and like most people i think my idea is awesome and potentially a gold mine lol. Because i don't know any programming or game development, and before i get confronted with reality that most likely my idea isn't as good as i would like it to be, i would like to get in touch with a person/people who do have the skills to create this idea. On the off chance that my idea does have some merit, how do i protect my idea from being stolen? How do i protect myself from somebody pulling a Marc Zuckerberg on me and just running off with my idea? Any advice would be much appreciated!

    submitted by /u/jaybee8787
    [link] [comments]

    3d "connect the dots"

    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 06:19 AM PST

    In 3 dimensional space, I need a software that lets me draw out my models, like connect the dots, like a grid if you will. The units will be blocks, and you can attach real base unit lengths to those blocks like meters ideally. Each of the blocks in 3D space can be subdivided into fractions like halves, thirds, fifths, sevenths, etc. Is there a software out there like this? Something like this kind of but in 3D: https://print-graph-paper.com/virtual-graph-paper

    submitted by /u/xenharmony
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment