• Breaking News

    Thursday, March 4, 2021

    Monthly Getting Started / Web Dev Career Thread web developers

    Monthly Getting Started / Web Dev Career Thread web developers


    Monthly Getting Started / Web Dev Career Thread

    Posted: 01 Mar 2021 04:00 AM PST

    Due to a growing influx of questions on this topic, it has been decided to commit a monthly thread dedicated to this topic to reduce the number of repeat posts on this topic. These types of posts will no longer be allowed in the main thread.

    Many of these questions are also addressed in the sub FAQ or may have been asked in previous monthly career threads.

    Subs dedicated to these types of questions include r/cscareerquestions/ for general and opened ended career questions and r/learnprogramming/ for early learning questions.

    A general recommendation of topics to learn to become industry ready include:

    HTML/CSS/JS Bootcamp

    Version control

    Automation

    Front End Frameworks (React/Vue/Etc)

    APIs and CRUD

    Testing (Unit and Integration)

    Common Design Patterns (free ebook)

    You will also need a portfolio of work with 4-5 personal projects you built, and a resume/CV to apply for work.

    Plan for 6-12 months of self study and project production for your portfolio before applying for work.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Tomorrow morning I will start my job as a junior developer.

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 11:53 AM PST

    I think this will be a sleepless night 😬

    submitted by /u/DankSailor
    [link] [comments]

    Google to stop selling ads based on your browsing history and drop cookies support for Chrome citing privacy concerns

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 03:39 AM PST

    What are other skills that needed for front-end web development, aside from HTML, CSS, and JavaScript.

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 02:46 PM PST

    I am a CS student, looking to work as a freelancer. I have been taking a separate course online on basic HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. I am almost done with it, and I wish to know what other necessary skill do I need in order to start working as a front-end web developer. I want this so that I may relieve my family of some financial stress. I would highly appreciate any suggestions that will help me expand my toolset and be able to provide quality services on web development.

    submitted by /u/HeathCliff_B42
    [link] [comments]

    Free and privacy-compliant Analytics

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 04:05 AM PST

    Hi guys,

    I am currently thinking about an analytics tool for a personal website, and trying to make a choice. Below are the prerequisites I would like the solution to comply with : I think this is quite common needs for little simple personal websites, and that could interest a lot of people.

    But it doesn't seem to exist many solutions for this, thus I'm curious to see if you have some name/ideas to share that could correspond to this needs, and I'll also share my findings at the end of the post.

    My needs :

    • I want it to be free for low traffic, or at least very cheap or self hostable in a cheap way. (I don't want to throw 10 bucks a month just to count the few dudes who visit my website occasionally)
    • It can be very simple : I just want to check if there's some unusual traffic on my website, or maybe to check the main sources of the traffic. I don't need no fancy metrics in a trader-like heavy dashboard.
    • I want it to be privacy-compliant, I mean GDPR-compliant or whatever the standard is in your country. (Because 1. I think this is important; 2. I don't want to feed the google beast; 3. I don't want to show no damn cookie banner)

    I have found quite a few interesting solutions like Fathom or Netlify Analytics but that charges like 10 bucks a month.

    My best findings as of today :

    • https://plausible.io/ which seems to be well-established, and charges only 4$/mo for less than 10k pageview per month, with annual billing.
    • https://matomo.org/ that can be self-hosted, but it needs a MySql database, and those things usually ain't cheap
    • https://privera.io/ which is actually 100% free under 10k events. It works as an anonymizing proxy between you and GA, which is not perfect as it's still Google, but it seems like a fair tradeoff. It seems like a very little project though, do anyone of you have heard about it ?
    • There is still the possibility of working out something myself using some free tier cloud resources like a cloud function or something to count the pageviews.

    What do you think ?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/Kadian13
    [link] [comments]

    Sticky headers together with a stacking card effect

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 03:54 PM PST

    Help settle this debate: Is writing unit tests / test coverage part of your companies build flow?

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 11:17 AM PST

    Hey /r/webdev!

    There is regular debate in this sub over automated testing and how common it is. I would like to capture a non-scientific gauge on how what percent of companies are currently doing so in order to get a better idea of where the industry stands on this topic.

    If you are a freelancer, then answer for yourself vs. as a company. If you are not employed or currently looking for work, please do not vote on this poll.

    Thank you for your participation in this poll. Hopefully it will inform all of us -- especially those that are considering upping your game in determining whether or not you should learn a testing framework.

    View Poll

    submitted by /u/LeeLooTheWoofus
    [link] [comments]

    How much Traffic can a 1gb Ram/1 CPU VPS Handle? ( Wordpress)

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 03:00 PM PST

    Let's say you have lightweight & well optimized theme,everything else is also super well optimized and well Cached and you are serving only static wordpress content pages/articles.

    Considering getting a cheap cloud vps like that ( Vultr HF - They have some extra good cpu cores/nvme storage ) ,and just wondering what you can expect such small setup to be able to handle (pageviews) if you have well developed wordpress site?

    submitted by /u/bumbim22
    [link] [comments]

    How are applications like the uTorrent Web Client built?

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 02:11 PM PST

    I tried to build a desktop music player using Electron, but with Chromium's issues with licensing, it didn't really pan out in the end. The uTorrent Web Client comes as an installation but launches through a web browser, and I tried to find some sources on how it's built but I haven't had much luck. If anything, I think this is how I'd like to at least attempt to build it again.

    submitted by /u/NotKnotts
    [link] [comments]

    Faster releases

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 11:02 AM PST

    Flutter 2 now has production-ready support for the web

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 12:06 PM PST

    Impostor syndrome and looking for an adventure

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 03:45 PM PST

    This is probably something that most developers come across at some point. I'm in little of a crisis right now with my career. I'm currently working with a company doing mostly maintenance of an ecosystem of applications I've been developing for them in the past 10 years (yeah, 10 years in the same company). The job is ok, salary is ok for my country, terrible for Europe or the US. I have a really flexible schedule, work load is fine, I don't have a problem with the job itself. I could say I'm a core developer for this little company. I have the oportunity in some degree to explore new technologies but it's not really easy to upgrade something that the company depends so much on.

    Given the context, political an economic crisis in my country is pushing me to emigrate, and I'm starting to think of looking for a company abroad to sponsor me. It's not really necesary, I have the economic means to go there as a turist and start looking for a job, but sponsoring would be great because I would have to take my family with me and I don't really know where to go to in the first place.

    The thing is that I'm starting to look at what those kind of companies ask for and I'm starting to build up an acute case of impostor syndrome where I'm begining to believe I'm a really bad developer and I could never get one of those jobs. People I know that went this path are really good developers, much better than I'm honestly. I know that companies ask for more than they're really expecting but I get the feeling that I lack most of those skills.

    I've been developing systems using PHP and jQuery, and recently started using Vue, so simple stuff, nothing fancy. I know server managment with Linux and AWS, enough to mount web apps, databases, load balancers, etc. English is not my first language (Spanish is), and I can comunicate good enough writing but I'm terrible at speaking, something that really worries me if I'm looking to go this route. I don't know how to comunicate well and fluently, nothing to do with the language itself, it's just that I don't have experience working with other people, so I believe I perform terrible when in interviews. Last time I job an interview in English I started talking nonsense. And as far as I could see I need to be good at comunicating. Those companies ask for technologies I don't have any experience in, they do exams I'm too dumb to complete correctly (I've looked at models).

    So, What do you think? Is it really like this and I should prepare myself to pass 7 interviews with highly educated developers or face constant failure? I understand the only way to learn this is to experience it myself but right know I'm too worried to even start asking at recruiters. Maybe a reality check is what I need.

    Any advice is welcome, and sorry if I didn't explain myself correctly.

    submitted by /u/ChispaCS
    [link] [comments]

    Just got my first dev position, and it isnt junior level

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 03:45 PM PST

    I woke up this morning to a message from a gentleman on LinkedIn asking if we could have a quick phone call since I was looking for work.

    After the end of the phone call, I ended up being hired on with a probationary period. I am most competent in .NET, which is what the position is for, but I find myself seriously nervous and suddenly questioning my capability, and I imagine it is because it isn't a junior position.

    He didn't look at my projects or even my resume, and when I asked about what sort of tasks I would be doing, he told me that it is Web Development in C#; which makes me a little suspicious.

    I am told I will have the offer letter this weekend and will start on Tuesday.

    I do not at all think I am not capable, I am just questioning my capability, if that makes any sense. Why are things so nerve racking right when you find the first job that you have been looking for?

    submitted by /u/TheLambSaucee
    [link] [comments]

    Glassmorphism CSS Generator - Glassmorphism is a unified name for the popular Frosted Glass aesthetic.

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 04:53 AM PST

    The Best Font Loading Strategies and How to Execute Them

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 04:49 AM PST

    Question about best practices when fetching data from an API

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 03:09 PM PST

    Sorry for my English but this may be a bit hard to explain.

    So if I have a set of different types of products and I want to make a generalized product card component to represent each and I'd like to make a generalized model class to represent each type. How should I define the model?

    Like for example, product type "luxury" have more fields I need to show on the card than product type "furniture". So, how can I go about defining a model in this case so I won't need to create more than one kind of card component? Make one abstract class called "product" then make a subclass called "luxury" that extends the product class? Is this the right way?

    submitted by /u/Roid96
    [link] [comments]

    Short Code Commenting Survey for Research Assignment

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 03:07 PM PST

    Hey all, I'm looking for some general opinions on the importance of code commenting from a variety of developers so I'd really appreciate if some of you could take this short 10 question survery on it to help me gather some data. Thanks in advance!

    Link: https://forms.gle/h17pcpg3eSuzmonM7

    submitted by /u/ObviousBurntEgg
    [link] [comments]

    Rendering Charts in Laravel Applications

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 02:29 PM PST

    Case studies for backend projects

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 02:27 PM PST

    Hey all,

    I'm currently working on my portfolio site and was wondering if I should write case studies for my personal projects.

    I know for design oriented projects, case studies are a must but not sure if people care about them or how to write one for a full stack/backend project.

    Any advice/helpful links on how to go about doing this would be super helpful!

    submitted by /u/Ozilrox2
    [link] [comments]

    Should I include a section with the steps I took to complete the project itself? (HTML/CSS/JS website)

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 05:31 AM PST

    Hello everyone! I'm trying to build my portofolio for a front-end job. I decided to make a website with mini games I can think of (ex: Tic Tac Toe, Tetris, Hangman etc).

    Since the content isn't that large, I wonder if I can include a section in which I talk about the steps I developed this project like: what I used for the Hangman games, problems I solved, steps I took to complete Tic Tac Toe etc. Things like that. I know it's not a complex project.

    This idea came to me when I watched a Coder Foundry youtube video about a bugtracker and he said I can include bugs and steps I took in completing the project itself. Since that project is for Full Stack I decided to start for now in the Front-End. The idea of this section seems good to me, but I'm not sure if I should do it. What do you guys think?

    TL;DR : I want to make a website with games and I'm not sure if I should include a section with the steps I took to complete it.

    submitted by /u/Dreeg-
    [link] [comments]

    The Importance of Learning CSS

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 10:25 AM PST

    Is it a good idea to learn how to code with Flutter, Dart and Rust?

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 12:05 AM PST

    Hello, webdevs!

    Currently I'm starting out as a UX/UI designer and no code developer for now. My goal is to be able (cross-platform) apps and services on various scales for myself and clients. For example, wikis and e-commerce apps. The gamedev is my another passion but I understand that it takes way more time for that so I want to focus on making great UX/UI apps so I can launch them and to understand coding better while learning — I've heard Dart and Rust are really good languages ahead of their time.

    I'm inspired a lot by Pieter Levels and his projects, especially Nomad List. So I really want to make such things myself and earn for a living but also progress steadily while learning.

    Some people might suggest learning C++ but I think it applies more for those who just want to be able to code with no current idea in mind. Myself, I have a goal and understand what I want to be able to do in a close future.

    Is it a good idea to start with App Brewery's Flutter and Dart course? Should I start learning Rust, if so, what courses for newbies can you recommend?

    Thank you for your replies in advance!

    Feel free to ask questions!

    P.S: Design is a huge passion of mine and I love it. Bad financial situation gave me a push to start designing — I'm working on a Chrome extension design for now (and on my website too). I plan to start looking for clients when I'll finish the extension and website design. I'm working with Figma and Webflow. Afterwards, while looking for clients, I want to make a web app — wiki app for a Crytek game. I plan to make it with Webflow and Bubble. My wish to make it a native app to publish on Google Play and, eventually iOS. That's why I'm inspired to learn to code — it's amazing and gives me more opportunities to do what I want, to make my ideas come to life.

    submitted by /u/BlackHazeRus
    [link] [comments]

    Three.js in Safari

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 01:58 PM PST

    Hello Everyone! I am trying to load a 3D Model onto various browsers using the OBJ Loader. It works on Chrome and Firefox but it does not show up in Safari according to a Team Mate of mine. Is there any way I can get Safari on my Windows computer even though apple has discontinued it?

    submitted by /u/iloveapplechicken
    [link] [comments]

    How does yarn resolve packages, really though?

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 01:49 PM PST

    How does yarn determine what version of a package to pull in?

    Ok I'm stumped:

    Let's say I have a package called toast.js.

    In my repo my package.json uses version "toast": "carrot 3.0.0". (The carrot symbol keeps formatting my code on mobile, sorry)

    I run yarn install and it pulls in 3.0.1. Later that day, more 3.x.x versions are published; version 3.1.0 and so on.

    When I run yarn install in my repo, it is still locked to 3.0.1 despite the new versions being available in npm.

    I expected it would pull in the latest minor or patch version (so anything upwards that's available until 4.0.0) But it's not...

    Am I missing something essential?

    It's possible my Google abilities are gone for the year but I'm just not finding the right docs.

    submitted by /u/space__horse
    [link] [comments]

    Cargo Collective & Shopify Issue

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 01:29 PM PST

    So I'm trying to add an embedded Shopify Buy button onto one of my Cargo Collective pages, and the button shows up twice on the first time loading the live page.

    I think the problem is because these product pages are not 'active' from the home page and only accessible from an internal link.

    When I set them to active so the the home is a continuous feed of all the pages, the button appears once.

    Seems like the site is executing the script twice if they're not set to active to account for them being hidden on the home page.

    submitted by /u/MotherLoot
    [link] [comments]

    Okta Signs Definitive Agreement to Acquire Auth0

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 09:31 AM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment