• Breaking News

    Saturday, March 13, 2021

    I made a YouTube clone to add to my portfolio, hope you like it, if you're interested I can make the front end repo public, I can't share the backend code (no want problems with Google). This app uses React ❤️, MySQL, NodeJS and Express. web developers

    I made a YouTube clone to add to my portfolio, hope you like it, if you're interested I can make the front end repo public, I can't share the backend code (no want problems with Google). This app uses React ❤️, MySQL, NodeJS and Express. web developers


    I made a YouTube clone to add to my portfolio, hope you like it, if you're interested I can make the front end repo public, I can't share the backend code (no want problems with Google). This app uses React ❤️, MySQL, NodeJS and Express.

    Posted: 13 Mar 2021 12:08 AM PST

    We're building a tool to make remote dev team meetings much better. Here's a clip from our stand-up mode (beta)! Built using tailwind, reactjs, chime sdk, kotlin

    Posted: 13 Mar 2021 12:04 PM PST

    I've compiled a list of 20+ design resources for developers!

    Posted: 13 Mar 2021 05:24 AM PST

    1- Colors

    • Color Hunt: Free and open platform for color inspiration with thousands of trendy hand-picked color palettes
    • Coolors: Create the perfect palette or get inspired by thousands of beautiful color schemes.
    • Colorinspo: Thousands of beautiful color palettes you can use it directly by one click.
    • Grabient: Beautiful and simple UI for generating web gradients.
    • Khroma: Khroma uses AI to learn which colors you like and creates limitless palettes for you to discover, search, and save.
    • Pigment by ShapeFactory: A unique way to generate fresh and vibrant colors based on lighting and pigment, instead of math. Find a beautiful, free color palette in seconds to kick off your next project.

    2- Illustrations

    • Blush: Easily create and customize stunning illustrations with collections made by artists across the globe.
    • Open Peeps : A hand-drawn illustration library.
    • Avataaars: Create avatar illustrations in Sketch App with this free library. Combine clothes, hair, emotions, accesories, and colors. Video 📺
    • Open Doodles: A Free Set of Sketchy Illustrations.
    • Lukaszadam: MIT licensed SVG illustration images in different shapes & styles. Completely free for commercial projects - no attribution required. Open Source Illustrations.
    • Pixeltrue: Free SVG Illustrations AND Lottie Animations are available for free for personal and commercial use (MIT License).
    • Uplabs: UpLabs is the place to find high-quality design resources for designers, creative agencies and developers.

    3- Learning Design

    • Growth Design: Growth & UX case studies in a comic book format. Improve your product skills with real-world examples.
    • Design Better: DesignBetter.Co is the essential guide to the best design practices from top design experts. Learn how to build a world-class design organization and more.
    • ReallyGoodUX: Screenshots and examples of great UX from real mobile and web products. Discover the best UX examples—including onboarding tours and walkthroughs, new feature and rebrand announcements, UX copywriting, signup flows and more.
    • Laws of UX: A collection of the maxims and principles that designers can consider when building user interfaces.

    4- Inspiration

    • Mobbin: A hand-picked collection of the latest mobile design patterns from apps that reflect the best in design. Get inspiration from over 250 iOS apps and 25,000 patterns (screenshots from iPhone 12) available on the platform. Sign up to save your favorite patterns.
    • Onepagelove: One Page website design gallery showcasing the best Single Page websites, templates and resources.
    • Landingfolio
    • Landbook: Design gallery with the best and most carefully collected websites. We help creatives find inspiration & motivation to do rad stuff.

    5- Images and Videos

    • Mixkit: Awesome Stock Video Clips, Stock Music, Sound Effects & Video Templates. All available for free!
    • Pexels: Free stock photos you can use everywhere. ✓ Free for commercial use ✓ No attribution required.
    • Unsplash: The internet's source of freely-usable images. Powered by creators everywhere.
    • Burst: Browse thousands of beautiful copyright-free images. All our pictures are free to download for personal and commercial use, no attribution required.
    • Coverr: Beautiful Free Stock Video Footage.

    Let me know what sort of resources you use! Not sure if this is allowed (if not, I'll remove it), but this post is also a thread on Twitter if you could support the thread, it would be much appreciated. I'm trying to grow on Twitter :)

    submitted by /u/RufusisRitten
    [link] [comments]

    After 14 months of development, I sold my project and switched to UI/UX area. Long story��

    Posted: 13 Mar 2021 03:46 AM PST

    I'm pretty sure many developers want to create their own dream projects and get passive income.

    After all, most of us have enough skills for building stuff. Plus, the Internet is a wonderful place: I keep on being amazed by the fact that just sitting in a cafe with your laptop you can literally become a millionaire.

    A few months ago I posted here about my product, in the Saturday Showoff section: https://www.reddit.com/r/webdev/comments/jh7xre/ive_spent_a_year_building_an_uptime_monitoring/. In the post, you can find screenshots of the app & technical details.

    At that time I was full of enthusiasm since I started getting new sign-ups almost every day, and I didn't know where they came from, so maybe it was even a word of mouth effect.

    But having a developer mindset, I made quite a lot of mistakes, and couldn't manage to get any profit at all: servers costed more.

    I didn't want to close the product, since I had users, I had users who bought lifetime licenses (like using the service for free forever). So I was trying to work on it, but motivation kept on falling down.

    Then suddenly someone asked if I want to sell the product. Right from the chat widget on the site. I told him that I didn't expect that someone will pay enough to cover my development costs, and I didn't want to sell it for a small price.

    But to my surprise, he agreed to pay quite a large amount of money. Guys, I cannot disclose the price, even though I asked the new owner a few times, he prohibited doing it. But roughly I can tell that I covered the development costs if we calculate it like (hours spent * hourly rate), with the hourly rate being decent in my country.

    This is despite the fact that the product was unprofitable. 😮

    He said that he knew how to make it better, he wasn't going to close it. So I'm really excited about it and want to see how it ends.

    I want to share an emotional moment I had

    This paragraph is pure vanilla emotion stuff but I really want to share it with someone.

    After I sold the product, I was feeling good: I got a lot of money (for me it's a good amount), and now I don't have to mess with code, bugs, servers, expenses, etc, and I can start something new.

    But then I decided to write a story about it in the community where I was active during the whole development process + on Twitter. I was sitting in a cafe and was writing it, describing everything from the beginning, describing lessons I learned and all that stuff. There was sad music in the cafe in the background.

    So I finally wrote it and the stopped for a moment. And literally, I thought about the time, when I used to go after work in random cafes to work again when I returned home late at night. I remembered the music which played in different places I code, remembered the weather, remember how I told my GF when we were in Starbucks that this was "my chance to earn some decent money and it's important for me".

    Omg, it was really emotional moment. Probably because of the music playing in the cafe :D

    Then I posted it and kept on staring at the laptop for a couple of hours, very very sad. Felt like I lost part of my soul, literally.

    That's what I wanted to share 🤷‍♂️

    What now?

    Now I decided to study the area which I like a lot. I have not just a developer mindset, I have a "I can make this product look better!" mindset. I really like UI/UX area, and that's probably one of the problems I had: I spent too much on making the UI better.

    For now, I decided to share my learnings on Twitter. Since I'm a developer myself, I know how hard it might be to make a good-looking user interface, that is also good in terms of UX.

    So if you're interested, follow me on Twitter, I'm not selling anything there. I don't hide the fact that in my future plans I want to write a book when I'll be ready and sell it, but these are future plans.

    For now, I just enjoy sharing my knowledge and learn from others too.

    Wish you guys everything the best: let the code be clean, let the sells (if you sell anything) be high, let the UI be nice :) haha

    submitted by /u/VictorPonamariov
    [link] [comments]

    We built an MMO game called SpaceTraders backed entirely by a RESTful API. Learn frontend / backend the fun way. Manage a fleet of ships, automate trade routes, discover hidden secrets in the universe and more. Updates every week. Active and welcoming discord community.

    Posted: 12 Mar 2021 10:31 PM PST

    [Showoff Saturday] - I made a generative macOS Big Sur style SVG wave generator

    Posted: 13 Mar 2021 12:18 AM PST

    I made a 100% open-source dating (and meeting new people!) web application using Spring Boot and Bulma. This is actually my first ever web project and still in alpha, so criticism is welcome :)

    Posted: 13 Mar 2021 08:41 AM PST

    I built a bug tracking app using the PERN stack + Redux + TypeScript. GitHub repo & demo link in the comments.

    Posted: 13 Mar 2021 05:16 AM PST

    Question: Including the business perspective, what are the flaws (if any) of making a SaaS as a web app instead of a native, mobile app? More details inside.

    Posted: 13 Mar 2021 02:33 PM PST

    TL;DR -- Generally speaking, are there any glaring financial downsides to approaching software development from the web first, instead of a native, mobile app? Regardless if it's a finished, one time purchase or a subscription based product?

    ---

    Problem -- Let's say you want to develop some software, and you want to go down the website/web app path first, rather than the mobile app path. How do you reconcile that it's typically easier for an end user to buy your product via the app store rather than via a website? Or do you disagree with this premise entirely?

    Maybe my problem statement is flawed but my concern is, with Apple Pay being baked right into iPhone these days (and whatever the equivalent for Android is), buying an app has never been easier. I chose the app, double press the button the right, scan Face ID, boom app bought.

    I know there is Apple Pay integration on the web, but from a user's perspective, do you think it feels a little different than buying an app directly from the app store? Or does it feel different than making an In-App Purchase with Apple Pay?

    A more generic question -- Do you think there are any glaringly obvious financial shortcomings to approaching this from a website/webapp first as opposed to native, mobile app?

    As for the tech side, since this is r/webdev after all, the main reason for wanting to go web first is familiarity and comfort. I've developed multiple mobile applications through React Native, but I do enjoy just the web a bit more than mobile apps because I don't feel as constrained.

    I'll take whichever approach the client wants for my freelance work, but this is my own project/product, so ultimately I have the say.

    ---

    TL;DR -- Generally speaking, are there any glaring financial downsides to approaching software development from the web first, instead of a native, mobile app? Regardless if it's a finished, one time purchase or a subscription based product?

    submitted by /u/RedditCultureBlows
    [link] [comments]

    What does it feel to be a junior web developer?

    Posted: 13 Mar 2021 01:03 PM PST

    I'll soon start applying for positions and want to know what I should expect from my first job.

    What are some thing that surprised you? What do you wish you put more effort into? What are your daily tasks? If you fail to meet deadline what happens?

    Sorry if it feels chaotic, I'm just a nerve wrack and impostore syndrome is doing it's part pretty well.

    submitted by /u/seshino
    [link] [comments]

    I'm working on a 3D online event space built entirely with javascript and html so that I can do weird virtual concerts like this from a web browser!

    Posted: 13 Mar 2021 03:28 PM PST

    Why off site backups and a plan to redeploy at new datacenter are important to have

    Posted: 13 Mar 2021 02:03 PM PST

    What should I change about my website to attract clients as a freelance web dev?

    Posted: 13 Mar 2021 08:05 AM PST

    Hey everyone, my website is at https://saadiya.dev

    I feel like something is missing in it. I wanted to know what changes I could make to it attract more clients for my freelance business. There are some issues with the design, which I know is. I'm looking to know more about what elements I could add or remove for this.

    submitted by /u/saadiyaa
    [link] [comments]

    [Showoff Saturday] Roast adflow.ai landing page ��

    Posted: 13 Mar 2021 12:34 PM PST

    [Showoff Saturday] Roast adflow.ai landing page 🔥

    https://preview.redd.it/d4kx52h9wum61.png?width=1600&format=png&auto=webp&s=03cc10e4d1d14366d689f663c8a601e5a84aaf75

    Hey all,

    my brother u/lufthansieur_chauvet and I just launched a landing page for our upcoming product. We want everyone to be able to generate ad creatives in seconds.

    The page is powered by Next.js and scores a mind-blowing 99/100 on Desktop and 96/100 on mobile on core web vitals. The design style is that of Tailwind UI.

    We are looking for feedback—both on the landing page and on the product itself ✨.

    What do you think? How could we improve it?

    P.S.: many more details here.

    submitted by /u/razorkey
    [link] [comments]

    Forum Recommendation

    Posted: 13 Mar 2021 02:44 PM PST

    Can anyone recommend a good web dev forum to join that offers learning, collaboration, feedback and general web development talk?

    submitted by /u/dontsendmeyourcat
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for some people to do less serious web dev with, like for fun and to mess around.

    Posted: 12 Mar 2021 06:44 PM PST

    I'm looking for people to do some low stakes and fun focused coding with. We could have a group chat where we submit entries to prompts or just try to make each other laugh or have fun with our code and programming thoughts and creations.

    The point of this is to have fun and make things to enjoy, and learn while doing it. I want this to be very low stakes, not super serious, and it would be nice to build a sense of community with some other coders.

    I can set up a slack or discord to house this. Let me know if you are interested, thanks!

    submitted by /u/win10240
    [link] [comments]

    [Showoff Saturday] - I made Fitur a task manager app #trello clone

    Posted: 13 Mar 2021 11:58 AM PST

    To complement all the "I just got my first job" posts, I've been vetting candidates and holding interviews at the last two companies i've worked for. AMA about how to get invited to an interview...and whatever else

    Posted: 12 Mar 2021 08:51 PM PST

    Disclaimer: There is no data behind anything here, and it is all based entirely on my own experience, idiosyncrasies, and complex neuroses. I doubt there are any universally applicable truths below, but I hope some of it is helpful, and at the very least encourages people to keep going, especially those following a non-traditional route.

    A bit about myself first. I've been programming off and on for about 20+ years (though there was about a 5 year gap where i didn't own a computer), 9-10 professionally or semi-profressionally, and the last 8 of those almost exclusively in web development. I've worked in research groups, a small web agency, a multi-national company, and now I head a team at a company that's not really a startup anymore. There was also a period of freelancing and failing to start a company.

    I learned to program in high school but didn't study CS in college. So while I do have some formal education in systems programming, data structures, algorithms, as far as application development, I'm mostly self-taught, but I was fortunate to work with several wise people along the way

    I never planned to do this professionally. It just kind of fell into my lap and i ran with it. I also got started on this career path a bit later in life, so I have some insight there as well.

    And like I said, I've been running interviews for a few years. AMA about what I've learned.

    Preemptive low-hanging fruit:

    • Spell your name correctly. Or at least consistently. Yes, this really happens a couple times a year. If your name is "Jhon," make sure you don't call yourself "John" in your email, CV, cover letter, linked in, or wherever else
    • Just apply. There aren't enough vaguely ok developers in the world. you're probably better than you think. if you're reading about web development on reddit, you probably care about your craft
    • If you're going to send your CV, send a PDF. It's just easier. And definitely don't send a Word document or any other format that Open/Libre office can fuck up
    • Be careful about using PDF templates. Some are distinctly more popular and memorable (in a bad way) than others. You want to stand out, not blend in. It might associate you with less talented devs and taint your perceived ability. Using a template doesn't mean you're incompetent, but incompetent people will almost always use templates.
    • Remember keyword stuffing? It was bad on the web. It is bad in your CV.
    • Don't provide links to accounts you don't want us to see. If you're applying to a software company, don't give us your twitter account where you post keys to ripped software
    • Portray yourself accurately. Self-awareness goes along way. You won't fool anyone by claiming skills you don't have
    • Know what you're applying for. Do some research and customize your application accordingly. Madlib cover letters are easy to identify.
    submitted by /u/crab-rabbit
    [link] [comments]

    Single file app?

    Posted: 13 Mar 2021 01:43 PM PST

    I have this idea for a single file web application. Has there been something similar done before?

    I work with University Professors. Sometimes my clients need some data analysis (or other computation) done for their classes. If I could get them a solution which is just click-and-use, that would be ideal.

    • Single page applications don't fit the bill, since I don't want to host something they might depend on for long periods of time. Also the University firewall might give them some trouble if I send them to: mycoolapp.biz.

    • Single file executables don't seem quite right either. My clients tend to use university computers, which IT locks down; And so professors running random executables named mycoolapp.exe seems like it would be frowned upon. In addition, these computers tend to be a variety of OSs and platforms.

    These first two limitations also preclude other solutions; For example, having them install Python and running a script. Also, the sensitivity of the data makes it difficult to have it leave their computers for legal reasons; I can't just have them use a jupyter notebook from google. Finally, my clients have a variety of levels of technical expertise and so the simplest solution is probably the best one.

    A main attraction of using the browser is that it has an integrated sandbox with a (fairly) uniform platform across OSs and hardware types. These theoretical single-file-web-applications seem to address all the shortcomings outlined above.

    With a little research the closest I can find is: https://conroy.org/self-contained-web-apps

    But there seems to be exactly zero published code.

    submitted by /u/GetsTrimAPlenty
    [link] [comments]

    [Showoff Saturday] we created myceleum a desktop app that allows to set up dev environments and dockerize projects in less than 10 minutes. You can also sync environments on several machines to get rid of the "works on my machine" problem

    Posted: 13 Mar 2021 02:35 AM PST

    We created myceleum, a desktop app that allows you to set up your dockerized development environments in less than 10 minutes. You can also sync environments on different machines to get rid of the pesky "works-on-my-machine" problem
    Check it out here: https://myceleum.com or download it directly here: https://myceleum.com/download

    submitted by /u/nabrocs
    [link] [comments]

    Hello everyone! I just completed my very first real web dev project (teaching myself). A nutrition counter called TedCounter that allows users to track what they want, and forget about what they don’t.

    Posted: 13 Mar 2021 06:56 AM PST

    MVVM vs MVC vs MVP vs 2-Tier vs N-Tier architecture?

    Posted: 13 Mar 2021 09:03 AM PST

    Hi, I am trying to learn architecture design but getting confused on these types. I sort of understand MVVM, MVC, and MVP and I think they are mutually exclusive (?) but where does 2-tier and N-tier come into play? Can MVVM also be 2-Tier or N-Tier?

    submitted by /u/Spaceman776
    [link] [comments]

    self-taught web developers do you regret it?

    Posted: 13 Mar 2021 06:13 AM PST

    self-taught web developers do you regret not having a degree? or do you regret not choosing another subject?

    submitted by /u/m7md4you
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment