• Breaking News

    Wednesday, March 3, 2021

    Here's another technique for stylized grass in Unity, made by clipping out shapes with noise textures. Tutorial in the comments!

    Here's another technique for stylized grass in Unity, made by clipping out shapes with noise textures. Tutorial in the comments!


    Here's another technique for stylized grass in Unity, made by clipping out shapes with noise textures. Tutorial in the comments!

    Posted: 03 Mar 2021 10:06 AM PST

    Any advice on approaching game publishers?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2021 07:57 AM PST

    Hey!

    My studio is currently developing a horror game and we are soon approaching a few publishers. I've noticed there are a few articles and videos here and there discussing the topic. But its a topic that's rarely discussed (maybe I'm not looking in the right places?).

    We've actually pitched to an investor 6 weeks ago. Unfortunately while he stated the pitch was great, he wanted a more further developed/completed project. We took some of his advice and made the game feel more polished and introduced some game mechanics.

    In a few months my team and I will be pitching to publishers and I gotta say its both exciting and nerve-wracking haha

    Thank you in advance for any comments/answers! Hope you guys have a great rest of your day!

    submitted by /u/David_Aminov
    [link] [comments]

    I like making games, but I use scratch.

    Posted: 03 Mar 2021 07:46 AM PST

    I know a little js, i know a little python. But I still find myself coming back to Scratch. I know im being limited. But it's something about how visual it is. I should probably transition to something better. But I don't know what, something open source, linux supported and simple, but powerful. Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/Jackerin0
    [link] [comments]

    How much money did you invest into your game prototype?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2021 04:42 AM PST

    Hi,

    I am currently working on a game prototype to show to publishers, with the aim of securing funding. I am working on it during evenings and weekends together with a programmer (I have full time day job). I have experience in shipping one commercial game as a designer so I am not completely new to the industry - but this is my first own project.

    I think there are many out there who are trying something similar

    My question goes to those of you who already have successfully secured funding (by a publisher, crowd funding or government grant):

    - How much money did you invest into your game prototype that secured you that funding?

    Obviously this is an important question form a financial point of view - how much should one invest into an uncertain outcome.

    Also I would be interested in:

    - from what sources did this money come from?

    - the amount of time you invested into that prototype

    - how much people worked on it

    So far I have invested ca. 1.500 $ from my personal savings + I have been working on and off for about a year on the game (from initial idea to current demo status).

    submitted by /u/sanve_san
    [link] [comments]

    Do I need to do some kind of paper work in order to protect my game before showing it?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2021 07:35 AM PST

    As the title says, do I need to do something to protect my game project or maybe register it in some kind of way before showing it to public?

    I've been developing it for a while and taking it very seriously. However, I'm a complete zero in any type of paper work and official regulations and, since it's my first serious project, don't want to screw it up.

    I want to start showing it as soon as possible, but I'm very afraid of doing anything, because of my lack of knowledge. Maybe you can recommend me some type of documentation or links to useful sources, anything will be helpful.

    Thank you for your attention.

    submitted by /u/GlebDot
    [link] [comments]

    Devlog: Detailing the quest types in my crazy taxi / simpsons hit & run style game

    Posted: 03 Mar 2021 07:39 AM PST

    A thought about save-abuse and cyberpunk

    Posted: 03 Mar 2021 02:51 AM PST

    I was watching someone play a stealth mission in Cyberpunk, and the save-spam was real. The smallest fuckup was easily negated by a quick reload. And while I can see some positives in that, there was no weight to failure - no tension.

    And seeing V repeatedly go through the same scenario, it got me thinking: why wouldn't he run sims of the situation to find the optimal outcome, á la Sherlock Holmes movies? Discombobulate, and all that.

    Take all those repeated fails, and plop them into a "sim space" - a mental/digital recreation of the scenario or level in which the player can practice. Failure doesn't have any ramifications in sim space, but every success gets you a little better at taking on the real thing. And there's no quick save in reality.

    So that's a possible way to remove save-abuse. Allow the possibility of a mission's failure without punishing the player for small mistakes.

    What are your thoughts on its viability? Are there any games that have implemented this kind of mechanic? (probably lol)

    submitted by /u/bionicle_fanatic
    [link] [comments]

    Building a game with localization in mind?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2021 07:50 AM PST

    I'm at a point in development where text is becoming more important, and before I put a ton of work into a system that needs to be changed from the ground up, I thought I'd ask for some advice.

    I'm vaguely aware that the usual process involves keeping the dialogue indexed in seperate files, but I'm not too sure about specifics.

    I'm not looking for code, just general advice on the process.

    For example, what file type is generally used to store the strings? I assume json would work fine, but I thought asking can't hurt.

    submitted by /u/AlwaysAnotherProblem
    [link] [comments]

    Devlog: Making a chain of objects and iterating until it was... a leaky bag?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2021 06:23 AM PST

    Looking for advice on Database Solutions for my Multiplayer game.

    Posted: 03 Mar 2021 07:50 AM PST

    Hi everyone,

    We are making a multiplayer game with a small team. This will be, in essence, a Freemium Mobile Game. A game that ideally will scale in the future with new updates, new assets, new experiences and what not, basically a service game. A characteristic of this service game is that we will release new maps that players can choose to play or not.

    When thinking on the systems we will use for the game we figured that we would make it in Unity, with Photon's Cloud Services for: Realtime Sync of games, realtime chatting capabilities, realtime matchmaking and what not. Photon, however, does not provide a data persistance service.

    So I had to go out and research about some database options for scalable games. I need to store a lot of data, for example Player data (id, username, password, what items it owns, what items its wearing, his friends list, his stats on different maps) and all the possible tables that would extend to. It would also be cool to be able to view analytics based on this information, for example: We released a new map, we would like to see its popularity with our players, which players like it the most (new ones? veterans?) and see that over time.

    One of the services I found out about is Firebase, google's cloud service with its own SDK.

    Investigating on it I found out it provides most of what I need (it's scalable, it has authentication for basically everything, from facebook to email and password, it's realtime databasing, it has analytics, even crashalytics), but being a non-relational database, I read its hard to make complex queries on the database to find out this information we want (our own analytics information, things relevant and specific to our game such as Map popularity).

    So my question is this, is Firebase a good service for this kind of requirements (based on your experience or what you know)? Are there others I should consider?

    Examples of other services: AWS, make it myself with a Web Server Host service and SQL, PlayFab.

    Thank you very much in advance!

    submitted by /u/SleepyWolfie7474
    [link] [comments]

    PBR Materials Fast

    Posted: 03 Mar 2021 10:14 AM PST

    What to expect from a GAME Publisher

    Posted: 03 Mar 2021 05:13 AM PST

    What sort of games/project should I make for a gameplay programmer/tech artist Portfolio?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2021 05:04 AM PST

    I'm currently do a little bit of everything (but mostly programming). Most of my projects are game jam games. I'd like to work on a big(not necessarily AAA) studio to get experience. I'm wondering what sort of games would make a good portfolio for a gameplay programmer role.

    Platformers? FPS( I don't like them at all but loads of studios make them)? Turn based RPGs(love making battle systems).

    Or is it not necessary to have a game on your belt? Should I focus on demonstrating things like being able to make FPS character controllers(which I don't like)?

    Being an all rounder, I've also dabbled in shaders. I heard that there is a lot of demand for tech artists. However, whenever I look at other tech artist's work, it seems that they have an intuitive understanding of what actually looks good(That is to say, they can draw). My art skills are stickman level and let's not even get into 3D modelling.

    Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/Reihado
    [link] [comments]

    SpaceTraders is a free to play space economy and strategy game backed by a RESTful API. If you've been eager to learn how to work with HTTP APIs and wanted to play with something a little more interesting than reading public data sets, SpaceTraders is perfect for you!

    Posted: 03 Mar 2021 11:11 AM PST

    Indie Game Marketing: How to Approach Creators

    Posted: 03 Mar 2021 08:22 AM PST

    Art style similar to Clash of Clans, Clash Royale

    Posted: 03 Mar 2021 07:59 AM PST

    I would appreciate if anyone could direct me to some tutorials on creating an art style similar to clash of clans, clash royal.

    submitted by /u/tailscr
    [link] [comments]

    How to calculate/learn what a reasonable detail level is for in-game assets?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2021 10:43 AM PST

    DISCLAIMER: Obviously every game is different, and various platforms support different graphics quality, and it depends on the specifics of the engine being used, etc. I'm not asking for a one-size-fits-all answer that I can apply straight into my game, I'm trying to figure out what the range of reasonable possibilities is.

    I'm an experienced game dev, but I have barely any experience with 3D graphics. I'm trying to get a sense of how to judge when a 3D model is overkill.

    For example: I'll see a spaceship on the Unity Asset Store that has 5,000 tris. It looks great, but I have no idea if that's a normal level of detail, or if it's going to absolutely murder the performance on mobile, etc.

    Or maybe I'm making a tree model that I want to use 100 times in a single forest scene, but I don't know how many tris is reasonable for that. Similarly, how much detail can a mobile city builder support for each building? I legit don't know if it should have 20,000 tris per building or 200.

    Are there any rules of thumb for how to learn the bell-curve for asset quality on a given platform?

    submitted by /u/Nerrolken
    [link] [comments]

    I open-sourced the Soda Dungeon Adventure System. Use it to calculate turn-based battles with a variety of characters, items, skills, enemies, and more!

    Posted: 02 Mar 2021 02:16 PM PST

    Tutorials for 3D Game Environment

    Posted: 03 Mar 2021 10:30 AM PST

    Good day everyone,

    I want to ask for a recommendation for 3D Game Environment tutorials. I want to learn the fundamentals of how to create 3D Game Environments.

    I do not want to learn how to make a sci-fi corridor or create an office, it is too specific. I want something a bit more general for environments.

    Thanks for your time and looking forward to hearing from you all and learning 3D Game Environment. :D

    submitted by /u/cloudyboxscape
    [link] [comments]

    Easy, Dynamic Pie Menu with Material and UMG in UE4. Simple and non-confussing math.

    Posted: 03 Mar 2021 12:34 AM PST

    LOWPOLY Heavy Dwarf Hammer Weapon in Blender 2.90 |Fantasy Low Poly Weapon

    Posted: 03 Mar 2021 12:56 AM PST

    Mobile App Icon Design (ASO Series Part 4)

    Posted: 03 Mar 2021 05:52 AM PST

    Hello r/gamedev,

    We're back with another episode of the ASO Series! =)

    Your app icon is the first piece of graphic design people will see or interact with. Thus, it is not surprising to see that the app icon plays a huge role in the success of your app.

    So, the million-dollar question now is, "How to design the best app icon that will consistently grab people's attention?" Thankfully, you don't have to look far and wide for the answer. Here in this post-https://metrikal.io/blog/mobile-app-icon-design-best-tips-tools-you-should-use/ let us share with you the best tips in designing app icons and the tools you can use to generate the best app icon for you.

    See you guys next week!!

    submitted by /u/CanAkhan
    [link] [comments]

    is it worth hiring freelancers for 3d modelling / 3d rigging? what's the general price range?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2021 10:34 AM PST

    I've taught myself Blender in a few months but honestly, the time it takes to make a GOOD character model could be spent elsewhere, like marketing.

    Art is very important, so i want good quality. I'm more of a programmer. Anybody else fall into this dilemma?

    submitted by /u/91jumpstreet
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment