• Breaking News

    Tuesday, March 9, 2021

    Got my first web development job, what are some tips for my first day? Ask Programming

    Got my first web development job, what are some tips for my first day? Ask Programming


    Got my first web development job, what are some tips for my first day?

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 08:52 AM PST

    How do I get to the interview/skill test phase without a degree?

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 07:48 PM PST

    I'm in troubleshooting mode for finding some new opportunities. It's hard to get honest feedback, so I'm hoping some of you are close enough to the hiring process to give some ideas. To be clear, I'm not looking for someone to plunk a job offer on my lap, I'm looking for a direction to work towards being a competitive candidate.

    I self-taught through side projects while working in the trades. Now I'd put myself at competent intermediate in a few stacks after 4 years working in appdev. I've been looking to try some new places out, but I haven't been getting any responses.

    My lack of degree likely gets me filtered from most places, but I'm always looking for the "or equivalent" so I'm not wasting anyone's time.

    Should I be networking? Meetups? Do you put open source contributions on a resume? Should I cleanup my GitHub? Am I getting filtered before someone would bother looking? Should I write a library for devs to star? Should I publish another personal app? Should I get some kind of certification for things I already do for work? Is there a service to get honest feedback on resume/portfolio somewhere?

    submitted by /u/ataboo
    [link] [comments]

    Write a function that takes a string and returns the number of four letters' names.

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 10:35 PM PST

    Can someone please help me with this question?

    Example:

    names = "Tror Gvigris Deriana Nori" fourletters(names) = 2 
    submitted by /u/off-sp
    [link] [comments]

    I am attempting to overhaul my employer's current data recording system. A small bit of guidance would be greatly appreciated.

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 02:18 PM PST

    So where I work, we manufacture waterproofing seals that go inside of concrete when buildings/houses are built.

    Every 30 minutes/1 hour, each person running a machine measures different dimensions of the part they are producing. This is currently done with a set of digital calipers, which values are manually input into an Excel spreadsheet. There are anywhere from 2-10 measurements for a part. When they do this, they also have to record temperature readings from the machines as well. This is another 10-16 values that are manually entered.

    Obviously you can see how this is pretty inefficient. On top of that, the 'engineer' who has been building this spreadsheet (over the past 6 years, I'm not joking), routinely messes with the cell validations, causing values that are well within the stated tolerance to throw an error. Which they then have to document on the giant 'MEMO' cell at the bottom of the page.

    Couple this with a bunch of 50-60 men who only use a computer when they are forced to at work, and the frustrations and problems pile up.

    So, my rambling out of the way I'll get to what I want to do to help this situation.

    I mess with webdev and python for fun, not a professional developer, but I know how to learn/search etc.

    What I would like to do, is make this process more idiot-proof, mainly by abstracting away the spreadsheet. I was thinking maybe something like a simple 'Record data' button, that would iterate through each required cell as a pop-out modal, with clear instructions on how to measure that specific dimension,. expected parameters etc.

    This will have to be maintained and modified by other people, I will just be handing them my 'final draft'. So is there a way to build the scripts in python/jS while pulling their variables from excel? Because I know they won't be able to deal with any source code at all, so if I could have a table that the scripts read from which they could easily modify without breaking anything, that would be ideal.

    Sorry for the wall of text, and if anyone has any input on this, I would be grateful.

    submitted by /u/Pantzzzzless
    [link] [comments]

    Is it hard to get a programming job in the UK without a degree

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 08:40 AM PST

    Is it possible for an image file to be encoded with malware such that a victim's computer can be infected just by taking a screenshot?

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 04:59 PM PST

    Im just asking out of curiosity

    submitted by /u/the_artful_lounger
    [link] [comments]

    Do you think building an app that doesn't use google or facebook login will suffer?

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 04:37 PM PST

    Firebase + reactnative question

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 06:53 PM PST

    I have the following code:

    let x = await db.ref(`/user_data`).get();

    console.warn(x) returns:

    {"-MVOrQzm9MDFbOOLfv11": {"name": "John"},"-MVOrR-LUlvLgUPbmjoi": {"start_time": "1945"},"-MVOrR-oVMl5mjXERWk7": {"current_amount": 40},"-MVOrR0JEDVFb6j4bwS3": {"limit_amount": 300}

    }

    However, when I try to extract the name "John" using x["-MVOrQzm9MDFbOOLfv11"], it returns undefined. The type of x is an object. Why is it undefined? How can I extract the nested items?

    EDIT: I figured it out, turns out I guess the object I retrieved was messed up somehow. It works after I JSON.parse(JSON.stringify(x)). Love javascript

    submitted by /u/narcoirl
    [link] [comments]

    Splitting a binary file into n files of nearly equal size

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 02:31 AM PST

    Let's say that I've a binary file named SourceFile.dat of size 530 bytes. I've created this file by randomly generating 530 numbers of byte type.

    Now I want to split it into 4 files of nearly equal size. We know that 530 = 132 * 4 + 2. So, size of 4 files would be 132, 132, 132 & 134. Last one is 134 instead of 132 because we fill the last file with all remaining data.

    I've tried to implement this using Java's RandomAccessFile Class which you can see here. Program reads 2 command-line arguments - "SourceFile.dat" "4". But, it seems to create 5 files as shown in output. So, I need help to fix this.

    submitted by /u/Icy_Obsession
    [link] [comments]

    Writing a simple shell program, how can I check if user has enter a valid command?

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 11:49 AM PST

    Trying to write C program that emulates a CLI similar to bash. I want it to execute unix commands just like you would in a terminal. So far I am reading in user input and successfully capturing it. But I am lost on how to make sure the command is in fact a valid command (ls, cp, mv, etc.). I was thinking I could use the $PATH variable some how but I am not sure how to get at it or where to even look when I do get at it. Any advice helps

    submitted by /u/Future-Reaction
    [link] [comments]

    PWA keeps reverting backup previous version upon browser/app close.

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 05:05 PM PST

    Hey all,

    So I'm very confused as to how to update a pwa. Right now, I check the app version against the server and if it's different then I unregister the service worker and do a hard refresh (remove cache).

    This works, but when I exit the iOS app or chrome extension and come back to the app, it reverts back to a previous version.

    How do you update pwas now?!?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/FlandersFlannigan
    [link] [comments]

    How to successfully copy the data when monitoring two paths?

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 04:56 PM PST

    In this code, I am monitoring two paths. I added one notification for the filesystem and that is on_modified. In this event, if a subdirectory or a file in folder1 is modified then that file will be transferred to folder2.

    But before this, I used os.remove() to delete the file in folder2 and then transfer the file. But the shutil.copy() is not working and the data is not transferring.

    Error

    Exception in thread Thread-1: Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/lib/python3.9/threading.py", line 954, in _bootstrap_inner self.run() File "/home/bilal/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/watchdog/observers/api.py", line 199, in run self.dispatch_events(self.event_queue, self.timeout) File "/home/bilal/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/watchdog/observers/api.py", line 372, in dispatch_events handler.dispatch(event) File "/home/bilal/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/watchdog/events.py", line 272, in dispatch { File "/home/bilal/Documents/Projects/Qt/Practice/testo.py", line 165, in on_modified shutil.copy(event.src_path, folder2) File "/usr/lib/python3.9/shutil.py", line 418, in copy copyfile(src, dst, follow_symlinks=follow_symlinks) File "/usr/lib/python3.9/shutil.py", line 264, in copyfile with open(src, 'rb') as fsrc, open(dst, 'wb') as fdst: FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/home/bilal/Videos/folder2/hello' 

    Code

    import os import time from watchdog.observers import Observer from watchdog.events import FileSystemEventHandler import multiprocessing import shutil class MyHandler(FileSystemEventHandler): def on_modified(self, event): fileSystem = event.src_path.rsplit('/',1)[1] combine = os.path.join(folder2, fileSystem) if os.path.exists(combine): os.remove(combine) shutil.copy(event.src_path, folder2) else: print("not") def monitor_folders(firstPath, secondPath): event_handler = MyHandler() observer = Observer() observer.schedule(event_handler, firstPath, recursive=True) observer.start() try: while True: time.sleep(1) except KeyboardInterrupt: observer.stop() observer.join() folder1 = '/home/bilal/Videos/folder1' folder2 = '/home/bilal/Videos/folder2' if __name__ == "__main__": m1 = multiprocessing.Process(target=monitor_folders, args=(folder1, folder2)) m2 = multiprocessing.Process(target=monitor_folders, args=(folder2, folder1)) m1.start() m2.start() 
    submitted by /u/ibilalkayy
    [link] [comments]

    Looking to make a financial forecasting/modeling program, where should I start?

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 04:39 PM PST

    Currently in my last semester of college doing Finance and Accounting. In order to build up my resume (and maybe boost my own investing) I am looking to make my own financial program to do forecasting and modeling. Currently in a class teaching me python, and I have a pretty good understanding of coding already. Just wondering where I should start based on which language to use/any commands, functions, etc I should start looking into.

    submitted by /u/DrDuke22
    [link] [comments]

    How do you design an ad system for a job board like Indeed? System design question

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 09:40 AM PST

    2 things I could think of:

    1/ A system to count click to bill the ad's owner

    2/ A system to target the right job seeker

    Not sure if they also do rank by bids

    Thank you for your time!

    submitted by /u/Crazy_Question1711
    [link] [comments]

    Why do you think not many people answered my last 7 programming posts/questions?

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 03:20 PM PST

    https://www.reddit.com/user/ThisSoFrustrating/posts/

    Do you guys think I'm doing something wrong or coming with the wrong questions? Or they're too detailed for reddit. I resolved all these issues in my last seven post, it was pretty challenging, especially the react-native-web, even though the answer was simple, I was missing the AppRegistry.runApplication() method, but also the versions all have to be compatible with the correct expo cli. What do you guys think, what's your feedback?

    submitted by /u/ThisSoFrustrating
    [link] [comments]

    Live update tracker

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 11:27 AM PST

    Hello, I am building a website and would like to update my customers with the status of their orders within their login. For example, they order an item and we produce it over a months time. I would like to inform them when they login under a tracking tab that states their status of their order or multiple orders. It doesn't have to be pretty, just easy to navigate for the party. I only want them to see the updates under their login info, so it's private to them. What is the best way to do this while allowing employees to update it for me with ease. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/litanies
    [link] [comments]

    Are Jsp similar to Asp?

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 03:02 PM PST

    What laptop do you recommend for programming?

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 02:24 PM PST

    Hi, so I really need a new laptop for programming since I recently restarted online classes and the laptop that I have is very slow when it comes to programming, so I was wondering if any of you had any recommendations.

    My budget is ~$600

    submitted by /u/EseChepe
    [link] [comments]

    Whole pic clickable

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 01:08 PM PST

    Hi guys, please, i'd like to ask you for help - https://trendhouse.sk/

    Here, when you scroll down to "Projekty domov" - if you want to open one of the projects, you have to click exactly on the button "Zobrazit projekt". It would be perfect if the whole image was clickable, not just the button.

    Is it possible, please? If it's possible with CSS, that would be sweet!

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/andyzayo
    [link] [comments]

    Implementing dictionary flushing in LZW

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 12:54 PM PST

    I'm implementing the Lempel-Ziv-Welch compression algorithm with Python. Online I've seen guides on how to implement LZW with some pseudocode and an explanation as to how it actually works. Often these guides will suggest one of 2 strategies for when the dictionary in LZW gets full, either:

    • Extend the size of the dictionary (for example extend the bit size from 12 to 13 bits) and thus use variable bit sizes (which in Python is pretty easy, just keep assigning key-pairs to the dictionary).
    • Flush/empty the dictionary out and start over (which means reserving another space in the dictionary, and then calling that space...somewhere?).

    How would one go about actually implementing the second idea (dictionary flushing)? Like how do you actually use it, where would you check for the dictionary being full and how would you handle that during decompression? Thank you in advance!

    submitted by /u/Hakmad
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone happen to know of a program where I can sort of make an interactive flow chart? This is just for a video game upgrade enhancement, trying to easily figure out the best solution of what item fits in what slot at a glance.

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 09:02 AM PST

    Does anyone happen to know of a program where I can sort of make an interactive flow chart? I'm playing a game where you can turn yourself into a cyborg with upgrade modules, and each one is a certain size, and each body part has a certain capacity.

    I'm sort of trying to min/max my character, I guess, so what I'd like is something where I can define object "Infinite Power Core" as have "Capacity 3, storage 1000" and then when I grab it, I can only put it in slots with capacity 3 or higher.

    If this is the wrong subreddit, please point me in the right direction.

    If I could have worded any of this better, please tell me how! I'm not able to articulate what I'm seeking very well.

    submitted by /u/Nandabun
    [link] [comments]

    question for anyone familiar with intricate marketplaces

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 12:31 PM PST

    hey, im not 100% certain this is the right place for this question. please lmk if i should look elsewhere.

    im a graphic designer, and sell on various print on demand sites. one site, and only one site, seems to have this issue in which our sales will not be properly attributed to our accounts.

    this issue has been going on for many years now. it doesnt happen all at once. its typically a few people effected, or clusters. but it is simply never remedied

    this site is one of the larger ones in the game, yet ive never experienced this in any marketplace, including those of identical selling formats.

    to be clear, they fulfill the orders, but we designs the products. a lot of us invest quite a bit of time and money into driving traffic and seo, so we certainly expect to get paid the royalties on each sale.

    i know theyre using product/offer schema and java ee.

    is there any reason we should be worried that this may be code written into the algorithm that skips over sales , thus robbing us of those royalties? is that within the realm of possibilities?

    also, apologies if there isnt enough information here

    submitted by /u/GreenBottom18
    [link] [comments]

    Getting started

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 10:48 AM PST

    Hello! I'm new to Reddit so I'm a little inexperienced at posting.

    I've recently graduated from high school and am trying to find a career field to get myself into. I think I want to get into programming since it's something I've always wanted to look more into but my school never had any classes dedicated to it (the only one that was close enough was Interactive Media, which messed around with the Adobe programs) and have only ever really programmed in Dreamweaver. Does anyone have any recommendations for what I should do? Or am I trying to get into something that's way over my head? Any advice would help. Thank you!!

    submitted by /u/TheChillPilliest
    [link] [comments]

    Formatting a QR code with multiple values

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 10:46 AM PST

    Hi, I have a 128 barcode that contains two pieces of data, a stock code and a LOT number. I would like to covert this to a QR code but having trouble with the functions to separate the two.

    My current working 128 barcode is as follows:

    240 STOCK CODE \F10 LOT NUMBER

    240 is the identifier for the stock code and \F10 is to start the next values (LOT).

    submitted by /u/Silvar1
    [link] [comments]

    How do I open a certain google drive folder using its ID in the Drive API?

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 10:24 AM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment