• Breaking News

    Friday, March 5, 2021

    Feedback Friday #434 - Unique Design

    Feedback Friday #434 - Unique Design


    Feedback Friday #434 - Unique Design

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 08:22 PM PST

    FEEDBACK FRIDAY #434

    Well it's Friday here so lets play each others games, be nice and constructive and have fun! keep up with devs on twitter and get involved!

    Post your games/demos/builds and give each other feedback!

    Feedback Friday Rules:

    Suggestion: As a generally courtesy, you should try to check out a person's game if they have left feedback on your game. If you are leaving feedback on another person's game, it may be helpful to leave a link to your post (if you have posted your game for feedback) at the end of your comment so they can easily find your game.

    -Post a link to a playable version of your game or demo

    -Do NOT link to screenshots or videos! The emphasis of FF is on testing and feedback, not on graphics! Screenshot Saturday is the better choice for your awesome screenshots and videos!

    -Promote good feedback! Try to avoid posting one line responses like "I liked it!" because that is NOT feedback!

    -Upvote those who provide good feedback!

    -Comments using URL shorteners may get auto-removed by reddit, so we recommend not using them.

    Previous Weeks: All

    submitted by /u/Sexual_Lettuce
    [link] [comments]

    Added a camera to the phone just cause

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 12:14 PM PST

    Experimenting with my custom material - Blender 3d To Substance Painter | 3d Texturing

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 01:55 AM PST

    Why aren't cloud saves used to make p2p servers persistent?

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 10:42 AM PST

    I was playing Valheim as the host of a server for a few friends and it was annoying me that I had to have my machine running if any of my friends wanted to keep playing on the same server/instance.

    Then it hit me - we already have steam cloud saves and such, couldn't there be a way for a list of accepted players to refer to my acc, get the latest version/save of the server, play as much as they want and upload the latest version when they're done? Essentially if im not there, someone else just hosts it and pushes the most recent version when they're done.

    the actual server is still p2p, you're just essentially sharing a savefile at the start and then saving it at the end to let different people host it.

    I gather that the current systems/code for steam cloud saves isn't really built for that but its all simple applications of existing tech as far as I can tell, shouldn't be too hard to do, and it would essentially get rid of the biggest weakness of p2p server hosting.

    Would something like this be viable?

    submitted by /u/Thalefeather
    [link] [comments]

    Counting power units in the game

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 11:37 AM PST

    Hi everyone!

    I am faced with the problem of calculating the strength of the unit and deriving the formula.

    Unit 1 Unit 2
    HP 400 150
    Speed ​​(m / s) 8 8
    View range (m) 60 50
    Attack range (m) 50 100
    Armor 200 150
    Penetration 170 300
    Accuracy (percent) 70 60
    Damage 50 100
    Cooldown (seconds) 1,5 2

    That being said, I know that

    P (unit) = HP total * DPS total
    HP total = HP + modifiers
    DPS total = DPS + modifiers
    DPS = Damage * Accuracy * (60 / Cooldown / 60)

    I am having difficulties with the derivation of the formula for the view range and attack range, as well as with armor and armor penetration.

    There are guesses that to calculate the viewing range and attack range, you need to use the following formula:
    HP total = HP + (((VR-VR average)/ S avg) * DPS total avg) + (((AR-AR avg) / S avg) * DPS total avg)

    How do you apply this armor% calculation to calculate the power of a unit?

    Arm% = (Armor - Armor Penetration) = x%
    if x> 100 damage is 0%
    if Ñ… <= 0 damage is equal to 100%

    submitted by /u/GMilty
    [link] [comments]

    My latest tutorial on how to recreate Obra Dinn's 1-bit graphics in Unity!

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 12:58 PM PST

    Which tool do you use for team communication?

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 02:38 AM PST

    I used direct messaging apps with all team members at first, but it was unwieldly, and din't really help with group communications.

    We have been trying Slack, but the cost/user is relatively high with several contributors that are only working part time on the project.

    Discord seems great for that (as the game also needs a Discord server!), but I am already in so many servers that my Discord is unwieldy to navigate.

    Which tool have you tried, and which one do you use now in your team?

    submitted by /u/Galdred
    [link] [comments]

    Any advice for changing careers from Game Designer to Gameplay Engineer?

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 07:49 AM PST

    Hey GameDevs! So I've been in the industry for about 3 years now, I went to college (US) for Game Design and worked in the industry in QA and Design roles (all contract work btw). Recently I've been doing some side projects in Unity/Unreal and found that I enjoy the programming aspect of those projects the most, so I was wondering if anybody had experience transitioning from a Design background to an Engineering role? When did you feel ready to apply for jobs as an engineer? What resources helped you along the way?

    Appreciate any perspectives and advice! :)

    submitted by /u/Spartanslayia3
    [link] [comments]

    Has anybody developed or played games with Ray traced sound? I think this should be explored further now with all the rtx cards coming out. IMO it's the next level of immersion.

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 12:11 PM PST

    The sound in Escape from Tarkov is so good that it made me realize most games have terrible sound simulation. I don't think EFT uses ray traced sound but IMO ray tracing the sound and defining how it reflects and passes through different materials should be as close to IRL as possible. Not sure on the performance cost but my gut tells me it could be programmed relatively cheaply, or we can start developing Ray traced pcie sound cards.

    submitted by /u/MercyIncarnate111
    [link] [comments]

    I created new trailer for my puzzle adventure game Creepy Tale 2. Waiting for your criticism or likes

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 11:18 AM PST

    Path finding in a non grid world

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 11:04 AM PST

    I've had this idea for a while and this is the first time I'm attempting to implement it. See this image for the world before and after setting a target for path finding. The top left square is the player and the rest of the squares are just level geometry / obstacles. In the image with the lines, the bottom right red square is the target set for the player.

    If the player can go there directly (no obstacle intersections along path), then the player moves from point A to point B with no path finding algorithm. If the player path intersects an obstacle, a dynamic grid is created by putting points around level geometry between the player and their destination. Then I do an expensive-ish step of casting between those points to see what paths are open between them. The little red squares are points to consider for path finding. The lines are all paths between those points. From here, you can use some traditional djikstra / A* path finding to get a path to your target around your obstacles.

    I could establish my grid at the beginning and recompute it when the obstacles in the world change to save cpu, but I'm wondering if anyone has thought of or tried this before.

    For a game with non uniforum / non simple shaped obstacles to navigate around, you could have each navigable obstacle provide a set of points that can be used to navigate around it that would make up your grid. The expensive part of this in a world that is not based on a grid is determining walkable paths - especially if you have different sized units and need to consider them fitting through variable sized openings between your obstacles.

    Does that factor alone make this idea not good? An idea I had in the past was to sprinkle the area with nodes and remove them if they are inside obstacles, kind of building a grid on top of the area being navigated, but I always ended up using some kind of raycast or line intersection to see if a path can be navigated.

    submitted by /u/Tomnnn
    [link] [comments]

    Probably a strange question

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 05:17 AM PST

    Hi guys,... I am a game design student and together with my group we are designing a game for a disabled person, who can only press one microswitch (he has 2, a right and a left one, but it's very difficult for him to press the one on the left, he uses his head to click them). We want to create something like a turn-based combat JRPG. In order for him to choose which ability to use, we want to have a selector that goes around different UI buttons, and when he presses his microswitch, the selected button will be activated. Any ideas on how can we do that? I can't find any tutorials :/

    submitted by /u/TheVikDST
    [link] [comments]

    autonomous navigation with python ( applicable to game dev )

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 12:42 PM PST

    If I have a cracked Unity engine and I have my own Asset created by Maya can sell the Game?

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 12:22 PM PST

    Hello, guys I just have a question if I can make a game using a cracked engine but using my own Asset and publish it to steam or ps or mobile.

    Is this illegal?

    for now, I'm using The free version of unity but this version there are some tools I can't use so this's why I wanna unity pro crack and second I don't have money to pay monthly for the engine

    and plus I'm a solo developer

    submitted by /u/kikito94xl
    [link] [comments]

    Introversion Software (Uplink, Prison Architect) discuss their recent failed prototypes (Youtube playlist)

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 12:20 AM PST

    What every developer needs to know about business?

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 12:06 PM PST

    Game jam music?

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 12:06 PM PST

    I'm doing a game jam and I need music is there any free softwares for music and sound effects

    submitted by /u/tyruss11
    [link] [comments]

    Best engine for an old-school Daggerfall style game?

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 11:22 AM PST

    Hey, so i've got an itch to make a game i've been holding off on making for a while and i have some pretty good ideas for it. The problem is, i'm not sure which engine would be best for an old-school DOS / PS1 era style first person game.

    Unity seems to be the winner right now, but i'm curious as to if there's any other engines that would be well suited for a game like this?

    submitted by /u/soooopruin
    [link] [comments]

    Ubisoft Graduate Program eligibility

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 11:11 AM PST

    Hi all, i was looking to the ubisoft graduate program and i want to apply for gameplay programming program but i'm a littile bit confused about the eligibility criterias. I got my master degree in 2017 does that makes me eligible for the program? They also say that you need to have less than one year experience, does it mean one year experience in the game industry or everything related to computer science?

    submitted by /u/amirost
    [link] [comments]

    Artiffical Intelligence

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 11:04 AM PST

    Hey guys! I will start my degree work in University about Artiffical Intelligence in Videogames. So my question. Could you give me some ideas and/or sites where are can learn more about AI? I will do it in Unity. I think about XCOM like turn-based, grid combat! Thanks!

    submitted by /u/kajahun123
    [link] [comments]

    Raising funds without assets/theme in place?

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 09:49 AM PST

    One game I'd love to make is a competitive PVP multiplayer game. As a dev with a strong programming background but little art skills, this is how I'd imagine a lifecycle for a project would work:

    1. Build a prototype using placeholder assets, and iterate on the core mechanics. Placeholder assets don't match the intended theme.
    2. Polish the prototype into a small playable demo (small number of selectable characters for example, but showcasing the mechanics and gameplay). Still using placeholder assets here that don't match the intended theme.
    3. Spend an initial seed amount from my own pocket on concept art for the desired theme/assets.
    4. Use the concept art and playable demo to do fundraising to afford contracting out the artwork/models/theme. Kickstarter, angel investment, maybe a publisher at this point, etc.
    5. Use raised funds to develop an alpha build with initial features, assets, theme.
    6. If needed, raise additional funds to bring the project from alpha to launch. Find a publisher at this point, or self-publish and do early access, etc.

    I guess my real question is as a solo-programmer, what's likely to be the most successful way of raising the funds needed to contract out all of the concept art/theme/assets?

    The look and theme is going to be the first thing people see. I can make a playable demo using placeholder assets from the asset store, but it won't match the theme I want and it seems hard to market/get interest in a project without visuals.

    For example, I imagine a kick-starter would be especially difficult without having strong visual appeal in the first place.

    Do you know of any games that have followed this or a similar path?

    Thanks for taking a look!

    submitted by /u/rakalakalili
    [link] [comments]

    Hello everyone! My third tutorial video using Unity, VR and the new Input System is live! Today its guns (one and two handed), shooting, and damage!

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 06:03 AM PST

    Are there any modern alternatives to GIT LFS?

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 12:02 AM PST

    I have been using git for years and I love it. But every time I get to deal with Git LFS for storing binaries I die inside. I find it supper prone to errors especially in projects with more than one remote. But even with single remote things can go real bad real fast. Designers hate it, developers hate being stuck with designers who can't use it, PMs hate backed up work pipelines. Bottom line is LFS is not something that I would recommend for a startup with tight budget. Unfortunately I don't know anything better.

    TLD;

    What are modern alternatives for managing source code including binary files that are suitable for small companies?

    EDIT:

    Just found https://www.plasticscm.com/. Anyone has experience with that? How does that compare to Git(with Git LFS)?

    submitted by /u/MarkBevels
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment