• Breaking News

    Tuesday, March 9, 2021

    Failed a coding challenge at my dream company learn programming

    Failed a coding challenge at my dream company learn programming


    Failed a coding challenge at my dream company

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 04:26 AM PST

    I've been a self taught developer for nearly a year now. Last week I failed a coding test for an internship at my dream company and I've been depressed ever since. I prepared a lot and it feels even worse that this was just an internship position and not a full time role. The worst part is I could have had 100 more hours and probably still wouldn't be able to solve the challenge.

    On average, how often do people fail coding screening tests for intern/junior level positions? How can I improve?

    I thought I preferred coding tests to take home assignments as they are way less time consuming, but I don't know anymore if I can really become a software developer.

    submitted by /u/Beautiful-Daikon-370
    [link] [comments]

    Imposter Syndrome

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 07:32 PM PST

    My dad wasn't kidding when he said that CS is a man's world. I am afraid to ask questions because I'm afraid of guys thinking I'm stupid. I'm trying my best I really am, but it never feels enough. I really enjoy coding and genuinely think it's interesting, but it's hard when you are stuck yet everyone else knows what they are doing. There are barely any girls in my class and I feel so alone. I knew even before going to college that CS is heavily dominated by guys, but I didn't think it would affect me so much. I feel like an imposter even though I'm doing well in my classes. Every guy seems so much smarter than me. I don't know what to do.

    submitted by /u/brandymlover
    [link] [comments]

    why does tutorial code look so different from actual code I randomly find on github?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 06:41 PM PST

    It's almost like no one writes FOR LOOPS or While statements or anything like that. No one is declaring any variables and all variables you find seem to be from a robotic language with names like _U8jKKFNumSUm. and some arent used at all in the same file.

    Not to mention the crazy number of imports and function calls. Function calls to other function with functions as parameters! how you even follow code like that?

    i'm new to relearning and noticed this discrepancy. Frankly, leetcode looks more normal but advance tutorial code in comparison to real codebases..

    submitted by /u/X2WE
    [link] [comments]

    Im 15 and want to learn programming/coding

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 08:24 PM PST

    i've been doing some of the freecodecamp and wondering if there are any helpful books, my ultimate goal is to be able to build a website and build a game

    submitted by /u/kodakack1
    [link] [comments]

    If you want to keep learning, keep building projects

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 08:51 AM PST

    Online courses and other free online resources can only help so much. I cannot tell you how many times I've finished a course, beginning to end, and felt as if I didn't learn anything. There were also plenty of times where I started a course, completed a few lessons, and never finished the rest of the course.

    I think we've all experienced at least one of those situations lol

    Anyway, one of the best pieces of advice that I cannot emphasize enough is the importance of building side projects throughout the use of a learning resource (online course, learning path, etc...). Try and integrate building side projects every few lessons/modules/concepts even if the first lessons are variables, data types, or concepts that seemingly don't have as much application (spoiler: they do!)

    When you think of side projects you might think of a web application or something more robust that you don't have the capacity to build just yet. That's okay. Your early side projects will be much less complex than coding an application. Unless you're a genius then maybe not lol

    Point being, build, build, build. This subreddit has so many helpful side project ideas. Lean into this community, keep learning, and keep building!

    submitted by /u/chaeboi
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a way to use Python to interact with an already opened web page?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 06:48 PM PST

    I'm wondering if there is a way to use python to interact with an already opened webpage. For example, lets say that the user has opened reddit and the program should automatically fill the search bar with some text. How exactly would I go about this? Most searches I've done have lead me to libraries that require the program itself to open the web browser, not the user.

    submitted by /u/HydraCreate
    [link] [comments]

    How to learn Ethical Hacking

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 09:28 AM PST

    I want to learn ethical hacking but I don't know where to start from or what resources do I need to start learning. I am taking a gap year and I want to reconsider my major so any advice would be helpful!!

    Thanks!!

    submitted by /u/mftouni
    [link] [comments]

    First Programming Rejection Letter

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 09:29 AM PST

    Just got my first dream job rejection letter and let me tell you, I have never felt more invigorated in my life.

    I know that sounds weird but, when I applied I knew I wouldn't have been a strong candidate but, the idea of them actually looking at it made me feel some type of way. Like, I need to work harder, kind of way. Is that weird? Now, I wish certain companies can give a better explaination as to why wasn't good enough but, hopefully they get back to me with some critics.

    submitted by /u/tingarin
    [link] [comments]

    Just recently started out with programming and have been seriously struggling with this beginner C++ assignment for a long while now. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 11:59 PM PST

    So I have been working on this programming assignment in C ++ and have been really lost for a while now. Usually I can figure out how to do something from seeing the result and working backwards but my instructor has been really unhelpful with getting back to me and actually showing me how to do this. I feel really stupid since I have been trying to do this for the past few weeks and have really not been able to get through much. It really doesn't help that I cannot really find a reliable source online for C ++ and cannot afford the textbook either. I know that this is kind of a difficult question to answer but I honestly do not even know where to start. If any of you guys can help me out with this, I would really appreciate it.

    Hello, Welcome! My name is Nao. May I have your name?

    john Smith

    Nice to have you with us today, john Smith!

    Let me impress you with a small game.

    Give me the age of an important person or a pet to you.

    Please give me only a number:

    2

    You have entered 2.

    If this is for a person, the age can be expressed as:

    2 years

    or 24 months

    or about 720 days

    or about 17280 hours

    or about 1036800 minutes

    or about 62208000 seconds.

    If this is for a dog, it is 14 years old in human age.

    If this is for a gold fish, it is 10 years old in human age.

    Let's play another game, john Smith. Give me a whole number.

    4

    Very well. Give me another whole number.

    5

    Using the operator '+' in C++, the result of 4 + 5 is 9.

    Using the operator '/', the result of 4 / 5 is 0

    however, the result of 4.0 / 5.0 is about 0.8.

    Write a program that uses the script above as a guide without roles, i.e. robot computer and visitor human, to prototype robot greeting in C++. See the Sample Screen Output below.

    Specifications:

    Input

    • Visitor's name
    • An age
    • Two numbers

    Output: The program should display the following data:

    • Complete script described above
    • Your name as the programmer
    • Assignment/Project number
    • Due date

      Processing Requirements

    1. The program should declare and initialize (i.e. create and assign values for) variables/constants to hold (at least) the following data:

    • Robot Name. This variable will hold the Robot Name. Initialize the variable with "Nao" or a name of your choice.
    • Visitor Name, this variable will hold the user's name.
    • Age. This variable will hold a person's or a pet's age.
    • A constant variable for Programmer's Name. Initialize the variable with your full name.
    • A constant variable for Assignment Number. Initialize the variable with the value 1.
    • A constant variable for Due Date. Initialize the variable with the due date of this assignment.
    • Constant variables for Days of Month, Human Year, Gold Fish Year. Initialize the variables, for example const int ONE_DOG_YEAR = 7; const int DAYS_PER_MONTH = 30;

    1. Use the above variables when creating the output of the program, for example:

    cout << "My name is " << robotName;

    Where robotName is a variable defined in your program.

    1. Use the following for the computations in the program :

    • 1 month = 30 days
    • Dog's age = 7 times human's age,
    • Gold fish age = 5 times human's age
    submitted by /u/Mmarcco
    [link] [comments]

    What are the things you need to know so you can create a bot?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 05:44 PM PST

    Hello r/learnprogramming!

    I am new to programming, and one of the projects I want to do in the future is to make bots on the internet. However, I do not know the things I need to learn for that to happen.

    Can you share with me your experiences in creating one? You may also just give me links to articles, videos, etc., that might help beginners like me if that is what you prefer.

    submitted by /u/idkw_username_to_use
    [link] [comments]

    Learning Programming at the Lowest Level

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 07:50 PM PST

    I am not sure if I am thinking of this correctly, but when people are modifying memory addresses in Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time, what do I need to learn to understand memory and how a cpu works?

    submitted by /u/narryx
    [link] [comments]

    Wondering if there are online tutorials (youtube may be best) that can help me learn programming by building visual assets, like games?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 11:33 PM PST

    I've tried many times to learn to program, and I think one of the problems I've run into is that I am an incredibly visual person and not being able to see how the code I'm writing is manifesting while I'm learning has been a sticking point which has tanked my learning in the past. I was thinking Unity and C# might be a good start. Any suggestions? Many thanks!

    submitted by /u/Its_Sasha
    [link] [comments]

    Git cheat sheet

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 11:30 PM PST

    Hi fellow developers

    I have always struggled with understanding git, and I am still learning.

    I created a cheat sheet for you all. https://github.com/developingdeveloper-tech/git-cheatsheet

    I'll update it as I'll learn more about git.

    Happy learning

    submitted by /u/w1Ld_D0G
    [link] [comments]

    UiPath Tutorial for JSON Parsing and Creation (UseCase)

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 11:25 PM PST

    UiPath Tutorial for JSON Parsing and Creation (UseCase)

    https://youtu.be/AH_4CxljnME

    submitted by /u/Cristi_UiPath
    [link] [comments]

    What are topics people need to learn to program at an Excellent level?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 11:22 PM PST

    Edit: I reworded this question to fit subreddit theme. Please let me know if I should edit anything out. I think the responses are quite insightful so I don't want them to go to waste. Love to hear other opinions.

    A little background: I initially wanted to learn to program because of the game flappy bird. I thought it was so cool and wanted to program my own version. I initially thought html and css were programming languages and tried learning to use them to program flappy bird. I was left confused on what the heck programming and computer science were. But hey I learned how to create a basic static websites :). I eventually picked up (Python, Scala, JS, and C++) and finally managed to program a flappy bird equivalent. I already spent a lot of time programming small GUI apps with a web server and mySQL database; I spent time learning basic ds, sorting and graph algorithms then practicing what I learned on leet code since I don't have school assignments to practice concepts. Now I want to learn more about "computer science" to deepen my understanding of how and why a program works. I know computer science is kind of vague which is why I'm kind of confused on what to learn next. There's so many things to learn and I don't want to try to learn everything and end up learning nothing.

    Questions:

    1. What should someone with no experience be learning, essentially a syllabus/map (ex. Math, concurrency , cryptography, computer networking, operating systems, frameworks, architecture etc.), to be able to A) program at a professional level and B) program at a superior level (equal to staff engineer at FAANG)?
    2. What resources are the best resources for those topics? Assuming a limited budget, enough for textbooks.
    3. What are tips to avoid burnout?
    4. What are tips to stay motivated when it gets hard?
    5. Tips to avoid migraine from staring at screen all day?

    Bonus question out of curiosity (non learnprogramming theme):

    What does it take to become a staff engineer?

    submitted by /u/officialfelixchen
    [link] [comments]

    ScheduleExecutorService Train Simulation

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 10:58 PM PST

    Hello it's me again with the train simulation, I tried to redo my code and do it with ScheduledExecutorService instead but I ran into an issue once again :( As you can see in the output, the train is already arriving at the next station even before it actually leaves the current station. Why is this happening? Can anyone point out what is wrong with my code and please guide me on what to do as well. Any help would be much appreciated!

    The scenario is that a train will stop in a station to let the passengers board the train then after a certain amount of passengers board the train, the train will then depart to the next station and do the same thing and let the passengers board and then go to the next station and so forth.

    Train has arrived at the station passenger has arrived at the station passenger has arrived at the station passenger has arrived at the station passenger has arrived at the station passenger is boarding the train passenger is boarding the train passenger has arrived at the station passenger is boarding the train Train has arrived at the station passenger has arrived at the station passenger is boarding the train passenger has arrived at the station passenger is boarding the train All passengers aboard..Train is leaving that station passenger has arrived at the station passenger is boarding the train passenger has arrived at the station passenger is boarding the train passenger has arrived at the station passenger is boarding the train Train has arrived at the station passenger has arrived at the station passenger is boarding the train passenger has arrived at the station passenger is boarding the train All passengers aboard..Train is leaving that station passenger has arrived at the station passenger is boarding the train 

    import java.util.*; import java.util.concurrent.CountDownLatch; import java.util.concurrent.Executors; import java.util.concurrent.LinkedBlockingQueue; import java.util.concurrent.ScheduledExecutorService; import java.util.concurrent.TimeUnit; public class Main { public static void main(String[] args) { ScheduledExecutorService exec = Executors.newSingleThreadScheduledExecutor(); exec.scheduleAtFixedRate(new Runnable() { @Override public void run() { CountDownLatch latch = new CountDownLatch(5); train t = new train(latch); new Thread(t).start(); for (int i = 1; i <6; i++){ new Thread(new passenger(t,latch)).start(); try{ Thread.sleep(1000); } catch (Exception e){} } } }, 0, 5, TimeUnit.SECONDS); } } class passenger implements Runnable { train t; CountDownLatch latch; public passenger(train t, CountDownLatch latch){ this.t = t; this.latch = latch; } @Override public void run() { System.out.println("passenger has arrived at the station"); try { Thread.sleep(3000); } catch (Exception e) {} System.out.println(" passenger is boarding the train"); t.board(this); latch.countDown(); } } class train implements Runnable { LinkedList<passenger> passengers = new LinkedList<passenger>(); CountDownLatch latch; public train(CountDownLatch latch){ this.latch = latch; } @Override public void run() { System.out.println("Train has arrived at the station "); try{ latch.await(); } catch (Exception e){} System.out.println("All passengers aboard..Train is leaving that station"); } public void board(passenger p){ passengers.addLast(p); } } 
    submitted by /u/I-Pee-Razors
    [link] [comments]

    Any tips on how I can cleanup this bulky function?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 10:48 PM PST

    Stuck on c# strings

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 10:37 PM PST

    Hello, and thanks in advance, for any help! I've spent a lot of time googling and trying to figure this out, and I am completely stuck. I'm using C# language.

    // reference: # = cat, & = dog.

    string MyString = "I have two cats, #Abby#, #Alexis#, and one dog named &Ace&."

    I want to be able to extract this information based on the #, & and end up with string[] of something like this:

    1. Ace is a dog.
    2. Alexis is a cat.
    3. Abby is a cat.
    submitted by /u/Sea-Bat-7552
    [link] [comments]

    Where can I learn the theoretical concepts of programming?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 06:05 AM PST

    For the past 10 months, I have been learning the syntax of programming languages. I know where to use them and how to use them, but I don't know why we use them. I want to know how programming languages work? It should be applicable to all types of programming languages. If you know of any resources, please let me know

    submitted by /u/the_diplomatic_moron
    [link] [comments]

    ThreeJS Help on Mobile

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 09:50 PM PST

    Website: https://www.kid.camera

    Hi there,

    On the mobile experience for my website, I was using gyro-controls (gyroscope of phone controls the json object). With the recent privacy updates from apple and google -- gyro controls has been rendered useless.

    I want to edit the code so that on mobile, the json objects spins around and is controllable from a click on drag similar to the web experience.

    Can anyone provide some help/color here?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/kidcamera
    [link] [comments]

    How can I create a drop down list that performs further actions in Processing software?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 09:49 PM PST

    I am working on serial communication between Arduino and processing. My task is to create a drop down list and let the user select one option and the results are shown accordingly. I don't know if it's too vague, but I don't know how to write code for drop down lists in processing.

    submitted by /u/Acceptable_Bee_5683
    [link] [comments]

    Struggling.

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 09:43 PM PST

    Hey guys, I wanted to start by saying I have a little background in html and css, just personal messing around. About 3 months ago I was told if I learn to program I would be given a job. I'm struggling hard. Vanilla JS is pretty straight forward but now I'm trying to lean node and express, mix in a little vue and I'm just at a point where I'm terrified I can't learn this and I want to so bad. Programming has been my literal dream. I study and practice every day but some areas I am not making some connections. I can do this yeah?

    submitted by /u/Everhart88
    [link] [comments]

    This Python code isn't working and I need help! If anyone knows why please let me know!!

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 05:48 PM PST

    nums = [70,50] print('What will the temperature be tomorrow?') temp = input('enter what you need:') if temp('high'): print (nums[:0]) elif temp('low'): print (nums[:1]) else: print(sum(nums)) 
    submitted by /u/ConstantSufficient29
    [link] [comments]

    Help with code organization on my first project.

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 12:49 PM PST

    I'm making a text-based dungeon maze game for my first official project to practice using classes, objects, and lists. However, I'm not sure if I'm doing it 'correctly' as I've only really learned about classes last week. I'm spending a lot of time just struggling with how I should actually organize everything, when to use classes and objects, what to put in my 'main' file, etc. Also, I find myself spending a lot of time just trying to remember things and sifting between the files just using trial and error until it eventually works. Could you guys give me some tips on the coding style, organization, or anything really?

    It's not really playable yet because I haven't added attacking functionality to the monsters and they can walk through walls.. also I'm still trying to figure out when they actually starting following the player because it doesn't make sense for them to see through walls.

    Here is a link to the Github repository: link

    and here are some of the actual screenshots of what I've got going so far: link

    submitted by /u/AuFries
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment