• Breaking News

    Friday, March 5, 2021

    Behold the first ever web page. web developers

    Behold the first ever web page. web developers


    Behold the first ever web page.

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 08:53 AM PST

    It went live on August 6, 1991. Delight in its simplicity, speed, lack of trackers and other forms of modern web dev bloat.

    http://info.cern.ch/hypertext/WWW/TheProject.html

    submitted by /u/AttentionNo248
    [link] [comments]

    I coded the Star Wars warp speed effect using HTML Canvas and vanilla JavaScript (code + tutorial available)

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 11:28 AM PST

    For those who have switched to using the new M1/Big Sur Macs, what pitfalls have you faced as a developer? What pitfalls have you faced in general?

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 09:21 AM PST

    I recently read an article, talking about Microsoft's new update to VSCode that makes it run natively on M1 Macs. That made me curious as to what pitfalls developers (mainly web developers, of course) have faced since trying to make the switch.

    We all know that new OS releases take time to get used to because our favorite apps have to be updated to work with them, and it's been pretty well known that several, if not a lot of apps have yet to make a smooth transition to Big Sur due to how novel it still is. I thought that it'd be useful for everyone, me included, to know what we'd end up sacrificing (in terms of both app availability and overall user experience) if we were to make the jump to the M1 Macs right now, while also giving us a good estimated wait time to make the transition.

    Information regarding the practicality of relying on Rosetta 2 would also be well appreciated! Of course, while I'm mainly curious about the experience in shifting to the new M1s from the developer's perspective, it doesn't hurt to add info regarding the general experience as a whole, beyond that of development.

    Thanks in advance to those who provide feedback on their experience!

    submitted by /u/roynotto
    [link] [comments]

    Using ellipsis to truncate text in a nested flexbox item

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 12:25 PM PST

    CSS { In Real Life } | Debugging Media Queries: A Dev Tools Wish List

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 04:33 AM PST

    Worked in web dev for 4 years, feeling really stuck

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 02:06 PM PST

    Heyo, just wanted to get this out of just my head, fish for some advice, and extend the opportunity to vent with me to anyone else feeling the same.

    I have a 2 yr technical degree in programming and have worked for a small local marketing company for over 4 years.

    I feel incredibly undervalued in several ways. There really is no room for growth here and all we do is build sites on WordPress. It is really starting to bring me down.

    I've decided to look for new positions but I also feel I have fallen behind in the industry. I know HTML, CSS, am pretty decent with Javascript and ok with PHP. We also work with bootstrap for css and timber/twig for php, so I'm familiar with those..

    Otherwise though... I'm in the dark. Most job posts want react, vue or node.js knowledge and/or c#, .NET.

    My questions here are, A. What should I focus on learning? What would be the most benefit to me? B. Do you have any recommended resources for learning these? C. Are there things I may not be considering (other frameworks, things employers may look for)? D. If you feel the same, what do you do to cope/what's your plan to move on?

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/tendollardildo
    [link] [comments]

    I made a simple ‘Guess my Number’ game with JavaScript, please give your feedback

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 11:49 AM PST

    Hello everyone. Im learning web development and i made a small web application to practice JavaScript, mainly DOM manipulation. It's a game where the user needs to guess a number between 1 and 20. It has a score & highscore system and sound effects (which can be disabled).

    It's deployed on GitHub pages. You can check it out here.

    I have found one problem tho, and i wonder if anyone here can help me. I worked hard to make it responsive, and when I check the chrome developer tools, I see that the app works well and responsively in all the examples of viewports that exists in the dev tools.

    But when i try to test it on my smartphone (Samsung Galaxy J6) or in my girlfriend's (Iphone 8 Plus) everything is very messy. Some things are on top of others, etc.

    I do not know what's going on. The viewport size of my device and that of my girlfriend fit the media queries that I created. Does anyone have a sense of what might be happening?

    PS: Sorry my bad english, its not my first language.

    submitted by /u/athosfeitosa
    [link] [comments]

    A Quick Interactive Guide to CSS Flex Box

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 07:13 AM PST

    How to protect user information?

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 06:18 AM PST

    Hopefully these kinds of question are permitted here. I am not really a webdev and as such, I have rather limited knowledge of the subject. I do have some .NET programming experience however.

    Considering a situation where I have a User class with potentially up to 200 properties which are retrieved from an LDAP directory, which works as a kind of data warehouse, not where users can login themselves. I need to control access to these properties by role. There may be dozens of these roles.

    Assuming user privacy is paramount, which tools would allow me to build a secure web app in which role-based access is easy to implement in a way that users cannot sniff values of properties he or she shouldn't have access to?

    In addition to hiding properties into which user has no access to, it would probably make sense not to retrieve such properties from backend at all.

    Examples on the web are usually limited to two to three roles and require a bit of effort to set up. I dread having to create controllers for dozens of roles and for 200 properties. Surely there must be easy, yet safe way to implement role-based access with tools that will keep the project maintainable for years to come?

    Also, apparently there would be need to log all user actions, even reads. Ugh.

    Suggestions please? Which tools are well suited for this?

    submitted by /u/KeeperB5
    [link] [comments]

    I got hired as a junior engineer 2 years ago; a status update

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 06:27 PM PST

    Not that anyone asked for it, but I was interested in giving a follow up to a previous post a while back when I got my initial offer.

    TL;DR - I received a 65K offer with benefits to work for an agency I was contracting with. I worked at this company for nearly 2 years and after a few months into the pandemic I took a position at a west coast-based startup.

    This isn't meant to be a gloat post, more so the process I took to get my second job. I used angel.co to rapidly send out tons of 1-click applications, a good portion of which turned into emails and/or phone calls. Of the bites I got, 3 of which turned into attention-worthy endeavors. For one of the companies, I rushed through their 7 day take home challenge, finishing it in 2 days but it was sloppy which bit me in the ass. The 2nd of the 3 just wasn't the right fit, but the last one turned out to be perfect.

    I highly recommend writing some sort of cover letter, even if it's cookie cutter. Like 200-300 words max. This is especially important if you actually know something about the company and really do want to work there. I know half the time its super regurgitated and fake but the companies I did hear back from I spent some time researching their marketing sites and basically repackaged their mission statements back to them in a different language (10xr regurgitation).

    I ended up getting hired at this company as a "Software Engineer" for 100K with equity and benefits and have been at this company for about 7 months. I work primarily with React and occasionally mess with (but stumble through) python. Moving from an agency where I took on tons of projects to a product-focused startup has been a nice change of pace, but of course has come with its own set of challenges.

    All that aside, I'd love to be able to answer any questions that some junior devs might have out there. I know that when I had my first job, as a non-traditional developer, I was terrified to leave that job because I didn't think I would be hired anywhere else. Safe to say that that wasn't the case, nor is it likely the case for any of you. I don't have a beautiful portfolio page, nor an exquisite resume in general. I do have a personal tech blog I share with employers but that's about it.

    I help mentor local bootcamp students in my area and really enjoy it, hence why I wanted to reach out to this sub to see if I can repay, in a way, what this sub has done for me over the years.

    Feel free to DM any questions and I'd be happy to talk to you about them offline.

    Happy coding.

    submitted by /u/trblackwell1221
    [link] [comments]

    Is it really worth to do mobile first?

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 02:04 AM PST

    They way I make websites is that at first I have it in my head as desktop design, then write it into template. It makes sense to me as I looked at desktop websites all my life and it's just the way I portray them in my mind. Problem with mobile-first approach is that I don't see full-size design and I don't feel comfortable while doing it because I have to hold my PC vision until I finish responsiveness. How wrong is this and how much do I lose with desktop-first approach?

    submitted by /u/Armauer
    [link] [comments]

    Is three.js journey worth it?

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 12:44 PM PST

    I know JavaScript already and have been meaning to get into three.js for a while. Is the Three.js Journey course worth its price in your opinion? Or is there better and cheaper courses out there?

    submitted by /u/EmmaDurden
    [link] [comments]

    How would I go about creating a tutorial overlay on my UI?

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 07:46 AM PST

    Many web apps will show the user an introductory overlay that darkens everything on the page expect one specific control, and shows some sort of bubble text describing how that control works. What is the simplest way of doing this?

    Specifically, I want to do this on the first cell of a FullCalendar to tell the user that they can click on the cell in order to create an event in it because otherwise it isn't entirely obvious.

    I think I would have to render a white rectangle above the dark overlay and somehow line it up perfectly with the actual calendar cell, but I have no idea how to do that. It should also be responsive and display correctly no mobile.

    Is there a standard way of doing something like this?

    submitted by /u/Sparky2199
    [link] [comments]

    Side projects motivation

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 03:17 PM PST

    As a software enginer with a full time job and coding almost all 8 hours of my work day the last thing I want to do is code some more. Does anybody feel the same way? I love my job but I would definetly burn out if I did not do other stuff in my free time.

    submitted by /u/tonimrga
    [link] [comments]

    Google’s FLoC Is a Terrible Idea

    Posted: 04 Mar 2021 11:21 PM PST

    Looking for a simple opensource trading exchange project

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 02:26 PM PST

    This is going to be far fetched but:

    To clarify on the title, I'm not looking for a project that TRADES ACTUAL STOCKS

    I'm looking for a simple environment that simulates this with users trading between users. Basically, like stockx but not actually trading shoes rather online items; ik this is not like some sort of todo list where it is all of github, but if u see a github project or any interesting articles about simulating an exchange pls send them my way

    Best regards,

    AndrewDownsie

    submitted by /u/AndrewDownsie
    [link] [comments]

    Client requests "countdown timer" and reveal for website launch - is this possible?

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 01:47 PM PST

    I have a client asking for their site to launch at a certain date and time.

    Until the moment of launch, they want the site to show a timer counting down, and then any site visitor with the site on their screen when the timer hits 0:00 would see the counter fade away, revealing the live site content behind it.

    Is this possible? and if so, how would you go about implementing it?

    submitted by /u/moonweasel
    [link] [comments]

    i want it to stack up when i squeeze the screen or use it on mobile. i dont want it to stay 3x2. i want it to go 1x6 when using on mobile or on a small screen.

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 01:20 PM PST

    How I built offline mode in Liftosaur

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 01:04 PM PST

    I want to learn more of web dev, but I lack the discipline. I get bored. I procrastinate. I feel like I'm not good enough. Any advice?

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 12:52 PM PST

    Some of you all may recognize me from my post https://amp.reddit.com/r/webdev/comments/j4xj8h/do_i_quit_does_it_ever_get_better/

    In short, I am a web dev, who ran into some bad luck, and has been unable to find work, has had no support from family, and felt like failure with no future.

    I have been feeling better since then, making slow progress. Unfortunately, since then, I haven't really been able to learn the things I want to. I've always studied better in a classroom setting and I think I lack the discipline to study on my own. But I don't want to give up. Sounds ridiculous, I know.

    I always end up losing concentration, or interest, or something. I miss bei g excited to learn and to code. I want to feel it again.

    I would really appreciate any advice, thank you.

    submitted by /u/saadiyaa
    [link] [comments]

    Can someone advice me on how to debug safari?

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 06:42 AM PST

    I do not own any Ios but safari users seem to have problems loading my site and I need to solve this issue since 40% of my site traffic comes from safari.

    I've googled it but all i've found is https://inspect.dev/ which i need an ios to inspect (but seems to be a nice tool) and this devkit https://github.com/google/ios-webkit-debug-proxy which frankly I don't know how to use i've installed it but I don't know how to even start to use it.

    Does someone know how the fk are we supposed to debug safari?

    submitted by /u/KataPUMB
    [link] [comments]

    Does anybody know of a good API for pulling plane ticket data?

    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 12:38 PM PST

    [removed]

    submitted by /u/BlikiFate
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment