• Breaking News

    Wednesday, February 24, 2021

    For new programmers learning keyboard shortcuts - this page is fantastic learn programming

    For new programmers learning keyboard shortcuts - this page is fantastic learn programming


    For new programmers learning keyboard shortcuts - this page is fantastic

    Posted: 23 Feb 2021 02:04 AM PST

    It's called ShortcutFoo, gives you options to learn shortcuts, practice, test yourself etc. Has a repeated learning section. Can be used pretty effectively for free (there is also paid but idk if it's useful).

    I am not associated with this page in any way, just think it's cool.

    https://www.shortcutfoo.com/

    submitted by /u/straight_quavers
    [link] [comments]

    As a senior engineer how you built your career

    Posted: 23 Feb 2021 06:57 PM PST

    So here is the thing. I am always curious how great programmers built their career. When I ask this to the senior devs/engineers I know, they don't talk about their failures, at least to me. They talk like they got some gift from someone. I would like to know if you have to share something different which could be useful to the young engineers. How exactly was your journey?

    submitted by /u/Small-Ad2614
    [link] [comments]

    Advice on moving out

    Posted: 23 Feb 2021 09:16 PM PST

    So this probably isn't the best place to ask this, but I don't really know who take advice from and this seemed the best place. Simply put, after pandemic started, living in my apartment became unbearable due to family and now there are previously homeless criminal people moving into my neighborhood. I've thought about possibly moving out around March 2020, but this would've made my life 20x harder. I would have to quit college and get a job. Many people going to college have a support structure to get rid of many of their other worries so they can focus on their studies. I disregarded moving out as being unideal. However, I'm starting to consider moving out as being more and more necessary for my mental health. The struggles I face is what job I can get, where I can stay, etc. I know how to program in almost all the in demand languages (Java, Python, JavaScript, etc.). I don't know if I can get a job around this considering the competitiveness. Maybe I'll have to work in a store. Finding out where to stay is harder. I can't get approved for an apartment since I have no current income. I have no friends, the only friends I made before the pandemic no longer talk with me after. I have no relatives. I can find some roommates, but I don't know how much I can trust strangers. I have about $5k saved, but that'll get used up in 2 months where I live. I don't know if it's even a good idea to move out considering the pandemic is still active. Mainly I want to ask people for general advice and how to quickly market my programming skills to earn for my expenses.

    submitted by /u/qwerty1729
    [link] [comments]

    I'm a senior medstudent, I have a deep interest in programming, but I love helping people and would lay my life on the line to save a life...but that could just be me. Do you have any ideas on what someone like me could do with programming?

    Posted: 23 Feb 2021 09:53 PM PST

    I've had a deep interest in programming ever since it occured to me while playing a game on android..."this is cool, but how on earth do you make one of these things?" Then i ended up searching online, and mostly read things about python and read deeper and saw other languages, frameworks etc. Google kept on pushing programming blogs on my feed: Python, Js frameworks, flutter, Go, dev.to, medium, css-tricks, log rocket, cloud computing, rust, godot, C, etc....since its in my recommendations, i just go with it and read them and was able to have some interesting conversations with a few engineers on some things (iot, Lora, ML, cloud dev etc.)

    I am a senior medstudent, and I have a passion for helping people, I'd lay my life on the line and wake up at any hr of the night to help someone in need (only twice thus far😅: stroke and emergency cesarean section).

    Programmers can also help people, but just in a different way.

    I don't see myself leaving medicine, but I would also want to develope things, develop solutions and contribute to open source as well.

    I see many people claiming they make money on the side and even though i don't need to do this, it could help with paying off things like student loans and keep me motivated etc.

    Languages I currently find interesting: Elixir, Python, Javascript, Go and C (i could add Rust, but i feel the barrier of entry is a tad high)

    In any case, what would you recommend someone like me to do with programming?

    P.S: Not accepting "don't do it" /"pick one but not both" /"leave medicine" as answers 😝😅

    submitted by /u/taufeeq-mowzer
    [link] [comments]

    Best sources to learn AWS, Java and Relational Databases

    Posted: 23 Feb 2021 04:40 PM PST

    Friends of Reddit I am in need of help. I am a long time lurker but a first time poster here.

    I have a job interview next week and the ad mentions I need to have a background in Java (which I do not), working knowledge of AWS (which I do not) and Relational Databases (which I have minimal)

    What are the best sources to pick up this content rather quickly to give me some working knowledge?

    submitted by /u/___therealbry
    [link] [comments]

    How do you learn faster? How to develop better problem solving skills?

    Posted: 23 Feb 2021 08:23 PM PST

    I'm sometimes overwhelmed by all the things I have to do and learn. There is not time for so much but other people seem to do it.

    What works for you that helps you solve a problem and learn something faster? Do you follow a methodology?

    submitted by /u/usalruss
    [link] [comments]

    Suggest ios learning project resources plz

    Posted: 23 Feb 2021 10:05 PM PST

    Hey redittors,

    company put me into a ios project where i need to perform api integration.backend stuff done by other people and i don't have access to it I entirely new to ios.They put me into project. Learned swift programming language. Project s video sharing app. cant understand the logic huge code there.Can anyone shows me right path to learn stuff. have viewed ios academy.io ios tiktok project course.planning to get into tat but dont know whether it worth.pls offer your suggestions and guidance. any tuotiral that covers project.thanks in advance..

    submitted by /u/cnetworks
    [link] [comments]

    How might one create a ray tracing engine from scratch?

    Posted: 23 Feb 2021 06:50 PM PST

    I've wanted to create a ray tracing engine from scratch (i.e. without any outside code) for a while now, but I have no idea where to start. I don't necessarily mean something fancy like Blender; even something that looks like this would make me happy. Could anyone recommend some resources for me to get started? I'm most familiar with Java, but I'm not opposed to learning another language. This isn't for a game or anything I plan to release, by the way. I just want to do it for fun and reinvent the wheel.

    submitted by /u/sonicstrychnine
    [link] [comments]

    Recursion. How applicable (or common) is it in professional software development?

    Posted: 23 Feb 2021 01:26 PM PST

    Last semester, Programming 1 covered recursion in general. This semester, Programming 2 and Applied Discrete Math heavily refers to recursion. In my winter personal project, I did use a recursive method for something, mostly because it turned out to be a simpler way to get the results I wanted than using a loop. This leads me to feel like recursion is just a tool in the bag, like a torque wrench for when a socket wrench isn't ideal. Whether it's commonly used or a special-cases technique is unclear to me.

    Out of curiosity, is the use of recursive methods common when working as a developer? Computer Science =/= programming, so I'm trying to get an better understanding of recursions' use-cases.

    As a side-note, I've noticed that many tutorials on Youtube tend to avoid the subject. Maybe that's to dumb things down for beginners? Or because it's not common enough to make the cut? Or maybe low-quality teaching?

    submitted by /u/A_Cup_of_Ramen
    [link] [comments]

    Learning Python, trying to create Connect 4

    Posted: 23 Feb 2021 08:41 PM PST

    Hi guys, I'm about as green as they come to coding. I'd say I have about 4-5 hours under my belt and about 90 minutes of a YouTube tutorial watched so far. I feel like the best way for me to learn is to jump in and start working on projects and so I've chosen connect 4 as my very first. I want to watch as little tutorials on YouTube as possible and do most the googling and learning myself through trial. I'm currently at the point in my game where I'm setting up the board, which I've put in a tuple and associated different tiles with A1, A2 etc and now I want to set the win conditions variable. Now, I could go and individually enter the 28 combinations of different ways to win with 4 in a row, but I feel there is a way to create an set, array, list or tuple etc of all the win conditions and to reference it later on that way. When I google the question "how to categorize different combinations in python" the answers keep directing me towards importing itertools and doing something called permutation to get combinations. But I don't feel like this is answering what I need. So I guess I'm asking you guys two things: first, do I have the right mindset? Would you guys create the board in a tuple and the combinations in one of the 4 set-like variables? If not, why not?

    submitted by /u/GunnerRunner34
    [link] [comments]

    sometimes i know the idea of some algorithm like merge sort for example but I don't know how to implement it in code ,It is okay to see the code and understand it and implement it in your own ?

    Posted: 23 Feb 2021 03:34 PM PST

    I am doing that for learning purpose , I am still beginner

    submitted by /u/bwass31
    [link] [comments]

    Is it common to curse your computer out?

    Posted: 23 Feb 2021 06:00 PM PST

    This question is mostly in jest, however, I do want to know if I'm alone. I'm very new to programming, learning Java. There are times when I'm completely lost, went through 50 pages of Google and still cannot find a solution. This results in my cursing at my computer, walking out of my office, and returning minutes later as to not be defeated. Is this normal when you're new?

    submitted by /u/every1listentome
    [link] [comments]

    How many of you actually found a job without a degree? I don't mean a degree in another field I mean, zero degree.

    Posted: 23 Feb 2021 10:30 AM PST

    Background- Years ago I started trying to learn front end development. It never took, mainly because of my approach. I'd work pretty hard labor 10+ hours then come home and follow along with online schools. This failure stuck with me so I jumped back in. Difference is now Ive done some basic html/css (hours/days worth) and just play around with it trying to build my own portfolio site. I get stuck and then use what I consider to be high level google skills. Another thing different I do now is focus on what I'm trying to do vs remembering code. I'm at a point where I'm going into JavaScript.

    Obviously, I'd like to make a career out this. I have no degree, my life has been in trades work. I am usually the go to, when it comes to fixing tech at work but its never anything too crazy.. Naturally, I look at places like indeed to see what I can do to get in the door. Every listing for JR/entry level states they require BS-masters + 2 years proven experience.

    I see everywhere posts about degrees not being needed. Get hired in x months.. How is this possible given the job postings I've found? I know a lot of times, the person posting the job may not actually know the job, and to just apply. But aren't they the first one to see my application/resume?

    ** I'm in the US - Mass to be exact but looking all over the country.

    submitted by /u/Roadglide72
    [link] [comments]

    Is there any upto date information on importing from CSV into rails?

    Posted: 24 Feb 2021 12:43 AM PST

    I'm going off this youtube video here, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTnsUyLuPgY&t=552s

    But it's 5 years old.

    My final goal is to just import data of a CSV file, and display it on my website.

    submitted by /u/SkepticDad17
    [link] [comments]

    Process for mentally digesting a repo before contributing?

    Posted: 23 Feb 2021 02:52 PM PST

    I'm really trying to make more open source contributions. I've read plenty of guides on how to do it (including the one in the FAQ) and I've even made a few contributions.

    Still, after all this time I feel like every project I look at is over my head. Taking the code line for line, I get it, but I feel like it would take me a week to go through each file and understand what does what in the program and then make a contribution.

    Seasoned contributors, how do you do it? How do you walk yourself through someone else's code in a way that makes you so familiar with it you feel comfortable making a contribution?

    Am I going about this wrong? Are most of you contributing to libraries or frameworks that you're using for other projects when you run into a bug or desire a feature?

    I'm feeling super discouraged hitting the github explore tab and looking at random project to contribute to, all utilizing other projects and libraries.

    I'm a beginner but I feel like a competent programmer. I'm ok with C, very comfortable with Python, competent with JS, familiar with Java, and an avid Linux/bash user. I can't help but feel like everyone knows something I don't know about this process.

    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/obliqu3_strategies
    [link] [comments]

    Classic Tic-Tac-Toe Game in Python 3 Code Question

    Posted: 24 Feb 2021 12:16 AM PST

    Greetings Everyone,

    I am working on creating very basic games in Python and came across a Tic-Tac-Toe program. I am having a difficult time understanding what a snippet of code is doing. It is the portion that switches the user from "X" to "O". I understand this is basic stuff so I apologize. Below is the code in question as well as a link to the full code.

    Thank you in advance.

    def game(): turn = 'X' count = 0 for i in range(10): printBoard(theBoard) print("It's your turn," + turn + ".Move to which place?") move = input() if theBoard[move] == ' ': theBoard[move] = turn count += 1 else: print("That place is already filled.\nMove to which place?") continue . .. ... .... ..... .... ... .. . # Now we have to change the player after every move. if turn =='X': turn = 'O' else: turn = 'X' https://medium.com/byte-tales/the-classic-tic-tac-toe-game-in-python-3-1427c68b8874 
    submitted by /u/Aach26
    [link] [comments]

    A little help with pixelMatchesColor in pyautogui (python)

    Posted: 24 Feb 2021 12:03 AM PST

    So I am checking the center of my screen to see if it is black for a project im making. This could be pretty obvious but im a python beginner and I need some help. The pixelMatchesColor function is formatted like this: pyautogui.pixelMatchesColor(960, 540, (0, 0, 0)) This checks the first set of numbers as the coordinates on the screen, and the next 3 numbers are the rgb value to check for. It returns true or false. buttttttt... im stupid and dont know how to check if its true or false, all I know is how to make it return true or false but how do I check if it's true??? I have tried

    if .pyautogui.pixelMatchesColor(960, 540, (0, 0, 0)) == True:

    and that does not seem to work. Please help

    submitted by /u/itsanOriot
    [link] [comments]

    Advice on university?

    Posted: 23 Feb 2021 11:57 PM PST

    Hi, I am 17 atm and will be going to uni soon. The course I am going to take will involve C# and a lot of web development which I am interested in. I recently brought a book for web development which goes through php, mysql, JavaScript, html/css and was wondering whether I should fully commit to learning them or wait for university? I also wanted to ask whether I should learn C# right now (I have a lot of free time) to make it easier on myself once I go to university?

    submitted by /u/IhaveAnalSexWithBats
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to understand how the modulus operator works in relation to random numbers

    Posted: 23 Feb 2021 06:48 PM PST

    So the basic function of the mod % is to give you the remainder. That makes sense. What is tripping me up is how the modulus operator limits the range for a random number. For a dice roll In c++:

    srand(time(0));

    cout << (rand() % 6) + 1;

    I'm not understanding why the modulus limits the answer to six. Doesn't rand() give a number between 0 and 1? How would you ever get more than one? I'm so confused, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/JohnnyButtfart
    [link] [comments]

    Experiences with Thinkful boot camp?

    Posted: 23 Feb 2021 06:43 PM PST

    I'm considering signing up for the Thinkful immersive course in Engineering and wondered if anyone here had experience with it or have heard anything from others. My main interest is in front-end web dev. The curriculum appears more in depth than some others I've looked at, but since I'm a total beginner, I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing.

    Alternately, if you already work in the industry, which camps have you heard good things about or have hired out of (if any)?

    submitted by /u/the_cadaver_synod
    [link] [comments]

    Auto grader python

    Posted: 23 Feb 2021 09:54 PM PST

    Hello I am learning python using PY4E lessons. Wanted to know if there were any websites that have problems with autograder functionality and more problems? Like beginner friendly. I used a matlab grader in my first college programming course and found it super useful.

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/Selfless_Gene
    [link] [comments]

    Opposite of NOT gate

    Posted: 23 Feb 2021 05:49 PM PST

    What would you call a logic gate that does the opposite of what a NOT gate does? Meaning, if the input is true, the output is true, and if the input if false, the output is false. I found digital buffer and data buffer online, but I'm not sure if that's what I'm referring to.

    Edit:

    Just to clarify, I'm not building an actual circuit. I'm trying to make a digital logic simulator program, sort of like Logisim. As a result of my admittedly bad design, I ended up needing a class to represent this, and I want to know what to name it.

    submitted by /u/OliverHPerry
    [link] [comments]

    How do people Mod videogames

    Posted: 23 Feb 2021 10:53 AM PST

    Title says it all.

    I recently started learning C++ a few months back, off and on and really only now just started to get deeper and spend a few hours, every couple days to really try and learn the in's & out's of it. One of the reasons why I originally started to learn was because I myself like to make "edits" on videos games. One cool thing that helps get "cinematic" shots is the use of a in-game Dolly Camera. There are a few games that have a Dolly Camera feature but then there are games that don't, but would be a blast to edit. From the community i'm from, people have made these tools for games that dont have them and its always fascinated me.

    Main question isn't really about HOW to make the code but just a general HOW, LOL. Maybe its because I still have a lot to learn, but I'm always asking myself how someone writes code & then it gets injected into the game and is able to add something COMPLETELY new to it. For a quick example, How does someone make a mod to bring a brand new item into a game that can be seen, interacted with etc. Like how do they tell that game to render that object or item or whatever it may be. Cant wrap my head around it. I mean, I know about memory editing and stuff like that. Even asked the guy how he made a dolly camera function and he used CAT-MULL ROM spline to make a "Camera" follow a path set by a user so i know a little about the science behind how its functioning but overall still confused lol.

    I know my question was all over the place and probably super hard to understand, so if anyone did understand & has any forums or places to look so i can get more knowledge on how these things work, thatd be awesome.

    submitted by /u/lusv1k2b
    [link] [comments]

    Angular, Vue or React with Node.js?

    Posted: 23 Feb 2021 09:06 PM PST

    Which one to use?

    I decided to start putting some time in learning a js framework but i'm not really sure which one to use. In various videos i watched and research i made, someone likes Angular but others swear on React or Vue. I'm confused, what the usage and performance differences are of those. I have not enough time and i think it would be very confusing to learn multiple frameworks.

    My Background

    For now i'm pretty familiar with Vanilla JavaScript (ES6), PHP and a bit of python3. Node.js is still a unfamiliar thing to me, hence the question...

    What i need it for

    I'd like to start my new projects in one of the mentioned js frameworks. In the projects there will be a lot of CRUD-based activities, real time interface updates and a lot of HTML-forms. I'd be happy if you guys could suggest the framework with the best performance and easiest to learn.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/era-net
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment